Bengals avoid Myles Murphy in 2023 NFL re-draft

3 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Recent articles with Tobin and Potts talking about the team and draft2, they both spouted how important it was for the OL/DL to be strong - yet we ahve not always or often set premium picks to those positions. So maybe but specifically stating it this year it will be a focus in the draft? One can always hope. 2 OL and 2 DL in the first 4 rounds!!

That's the impression I got from that article as well. I just hope they don't sit on their hands hoping someone drops to them. Go get your guy(s).

If we came out of this draft with 2 Olinemen and 2 DTs I'd consider it a success. (Then we wait to see if those picks can play)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

That's the impression I got from that article as well. I just hope they don't sit on their hands hoping someone drops to them. Go get your guy(s).

If we came out of this draft with 2 Olinemen and 2 DTs I'd consider it a success. (Then we wait to see if those picks can play)

Hopefully they upgrade the lines first before dipping into skilled players

Depends on how the draft goes 

Signing any good lineman off-season is a bonus.

• Upvote 1

^ I'm not sure you can draft solely based on position. 

For instance, imagine passing up on another Ja'Marr Chase for a Jonah Williams, just because you need an OT. 

In the end, the draft has to yield impact players who make "splash" plays (to borrow Bug Eye Tomlin's phrase) if a team wants to be playing in February. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

^ I'm not sure you can draft solely based on position. 

For instance, imagine passing up on another Ja'Marr Chase for a Jonah Williams, just because you need an OT. 

In the end, the draft has to yield impact players who make "splash" plays (to borrow Bug Eye Tomlin's phrase) if a team wants to be playing in February. 

That's exactly why I said you should go get your guy if you have one in mind rather than letting the draft come to you.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

You will just have to get over it LOL. The draft, in hindsight is a muggs game. Every team has piles of 'coulda, woulda,shoulda'. You have to look at any team in terms of picks over a long period of tiem to see how well they draft, not at any individual pick. We have drafted well above average over say the last 5 years but not as well say the Ravens or Chiefs. 

Recent articles with Tobin and Potts talking about the team and draft2, they both spouted how important it was for the OL/DL to be strong - yet we ahve not always or often set premium picks to those positions. So maybe but specifically stating it this year it will be a focus in the draft? One can always hope. 2 OL and 2 DL in the first 4 rounds!!

They've been absolute shit at drafting OL since Zeitler & the last early pick before him was Andre "Jubbly" Smith.  The same people are still naking those picks so we should expect the same results.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

They've been absolute shit at drafting OL since Zeitler & the last early pick before him was Andre "Jubbly" Smith.  The same people are still naking those picks so we should expect the same results.

Can't argue that but what's the alternatives?

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Smith gets alot of flack because of taking off his shirt at the combine, but he was a solid starter while he was here. I think he gets some flack for not being as good as Willie, but who is? And the guys between Willie and him were awful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Smith gets alot of flack because of taking off his shirt at the combine, but he was a solid starter while he was here. I think he gets some flack for not being as good as Willie, but who is? And the guys between Willie and him were awful.

Andre Smith was very much a “God is in control” kind of guy, and it took him awhile to figure out that he needed to WORK to get better.

Jackson Carman is cut from the same cloth.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Andre Smith was very much a “God is in control” kind of guy, and it took him awhile to figure out that he needed to WORK to get better.

Jackson Carman is cut from the same cloth.  

Carman can't break the starting lineup. Smith was the starter. I would not put them in the same sentence 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Overdrafted, mostly.  6th overall comes with high expectations.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Overdrafted, mostly.  6th overall comes with high expectations.

Maybe but he was far and away better than Dennis Rolland and Stacey Andrews. The two guys after Willie but before him.

27 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Maybe but he was far and away better than Dennis Rolland and Stacey Andrews. The two guys after Willie but before him.

and it's not as if they've been killing it with the trades & free agents, either.  Cordy Glenn, Bobbie Hart.. 

It defies the odds & really does speak to coaching.  A few were head-scratchers but for the most part everyone expected them to come in and contribute.  The fact so few actually have can't all be scouting.  Carman is just the latest OL that seems to have the ability but no discipline.  Almost like he thinks he can screw around & only show up when he absolutely has to..  Now what would give him that impression?

🐸🍵

On 1/31/2024 at 12:13 PM, High School Harry said:

Cheer up.  Clapton just got bashed for saying asshole Kelce is an asshole.

What does this have to do with what I said?  I don't come here as often maybe because of snide arse comments like this.  And to think I thought you were a good one.  Old age getting to you? 

1 hour ago, TigerJ@w said:

What does this have to do with what I said?  I don't come here as often maybe because of snide arse comments like this.  And to think I thought you were a good one.  Old age getting to you? 

Harry was joking that's all

Maybe it's you that old age is getting to.

LIghten up.

Your better than that boss.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

WAIT A MINUTE... what did I say that was offensive or aimed at you?

Dang, Mr J@w... I would never do anything close to anything like that about you of all people.

Sorry if I somehow unintentionally did or something I said came off that way.  Seriously.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 3:47 PM, claptonrocks said:

Can't argue that but what's the alternatives?

What's the alternative? Have someone else pick the  players,rather than whoever,has been doing it.Whomever it has been,is not very good at it.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 6:52 PM, High School Harry said:

WAIT A MINUTE... what did I say that was offensive or aimed at you?

Dang, Mr J@w... I would never do anything close to anything like that about you of all people.

Sorry if I somehow unintentionally did or something I said came off that way.  Seriously.

Maybe I took it the wrong way, I was just saying this damn team needs a freaking real TE and not some piss ant rent a TE to make this team way better.  See the two TEs in the SB as just two examples.  I have seen mocks as pointing for the Bengals to take the best TE in the draft in the first round if he falls to them.  If not him, then it better be a damn OLman.  We all should be sick and tired of seeing this team fail for decades while the likes of the Chiefs rolling up Superbowls with mediocre players. 

3 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

Maybe I took it the wrong way, I was just saying this damn team needs a freaking real TE and not some piss ant rent a TE to make this team way better.  See the two TEs in the SB as just two examples.  I have seen mocks as pointing for the Bengals to take the best TE in the draft in the first round if he falls to them.  If not him, then it better be a damn OLman.  We all should be sick and tired of seeing this team fail for decades while the likes of the Chiefs rolling up Superbowls with mediocre players. 

Really sorry if I offended or said something out of line.  I was worried that I had really whizzed you off.

But about your post and thinking about the Bengals and tight ends...

Absolutely and could not agree more.

PFF is now projecting Brock Bowers to fall to us (doubt it) but if so, I'd be all over that.

And, other top teams have a great tight end including Cleveland and Pittsburgh in our division.

Hurst was a flash in the pan, Irv Smith a bust and I do like Drew Sample, excellent blocker and perhaps

underused as a receiver on occasion but...