3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Sample maybe.

Hudson not so much..

Both will return along with Wilcox imo.

Wouldn't surprise me if Callahan signs some of our fringe guys to help ease in. Sample-Hudson-Wilcox-Irwin-Traeveyon Williams all could fit that mold. Sample is the most important of that group. I assume we give him a surprisingly large multi-year deal

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Sample has been on 1 year, minimum deals the last couple of years. His surprisingly large multi-year deal was when he was overdrafted in the 2nd round. 

Josh Oliver just went for 3 years 21 million. I think Sample won't get that. I'd bet 3years 9-12 million

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Sample has been on 1 year, minimum deals the last couple of years. His surprisingly large multi-year deal was when he was overdrafted in the 2nd round. 

Have no knocks on Sample.

Drafted too high as a blocking TE but he's given them good service at it.

The inadequacies of our line make him valuable.

• Upvote 1

^ They need to go ahead and lock up Sample for 4-5 years. Blocking TEs are hard to find and there's no reason he can't retire a Bengal. 

He's Zac's 2nd draft pick ever as a HC. No reason to waste that investment when he does what he's asked to do well. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Where does the notion that Sample is better than average come from? He's adequate. PFF ranked him the 14th best blocking TE and 35th overall. That level of production can be replaced by a day 3 draft pick. 

He is intertwined with the team and a leader I think. They will want to reward that. He was also exceptionally versatile which helped with what we do a lot. Played FB, Hback, TE. 

• Upvote 1

Sample had almost 0 market last year. I don’t think that’s going to magically change at age 28.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they completely retool the tight end room. 

22 minutes ago, JC said:

Sample had almost 0 market last year. I don’t think that’s going to magically change at age 28.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they completely retool the tight end room. 

I have been wrong before but Sample and Hudson seem like they will definitely be back. 

• Upvote 1

I think it’s definitely possible. It just smells of how they wanted to completely revamp the offensive line after the Super Bowl due to it being possibly the worst position group on the team and DJ coming out and saying they have the eyes for Bowers. I’d have to see it to believe it - but could be a change of philosophy for Zac to try and run the ball more efficiently/beat zone coverage.

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I have been wrong before but Sample and Hudson seem like they will definitely be back. 

It kinda depends upon what Callahan is thinking/doing with the Titans. He could attempt to sign one…or both.

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

He is intertwined with the team and a leader I think. They will want to reward that. He was also exceptionally versatile which helped with what we do a lot. Played FB, Hback, TE. 

They kept Sample in the backfield to block sometimes because Mixon and Brown weren't very good at it. Any TE should be a better blocker than a RB. They used Sample as a blocker because he's not much of a route runner or downfield threat. He's adequate as a blocker but also pretty limited as a TE. I wouldn't be surprised if the team re-signs him but he's not in line for a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract. 

I think logically it makes more sense to sign FAs at TE and WR. Take advantage of the idea that players may want to play with Burrow and be willing to come here at a bit of a discount. There appear to be just 5 FA options that are an obvious upgrade to Hudson

1-Hunter Henry is older and that might mean a cheaper deal

2-Gerald Everett-A bit older and we have already had a chance at him and didn't take it despite connections to Taylor

3-Dalton Schultz-He just had a great year and is likely back to the Texans 

None of those 3 fit what we usually go after....younger vets on the rise. 27 and younger

4. Noah Fant-He is just turned 26 and that's what we like. He had is least snaps and worst year statistically in Seattle. That might be meaningless because they have a new offense. They added Ryan Grubb from Washington as their OC.. I'd be lying if I said I knew how they used their TEs. We know the Ravens like theirs. He would be my first target. Maybe after an off year you can get him for a reasonable price. The problem is PFF says he is getting 3 years 24 Million. I don't think we pay that. 

5. Colby Parkinson-The only other guy under 27. Is he an obvious upgrade to Hudson? Is he obviously better than a rookie? He has the size we tend to like. Only 57 career catches while splitting time with Dissly and Fant. I like his highlights. He has run after the catch ability and high points the ball in a way that I think Burrow can make useful. If you could get him for 3 years 3-4 mill per I think he is the guy to go with. Push off getting an elite TE but get a solid one and use draft picks and money elsewhere. It's a bad Draft at the position and we are likely to bring back Hudson and Sample.

I guess after thinking through it the best scenario/most likely is Parkinson on a 1 year deal. He cashes out next year with a big season....and we are hedged for if Bowers doesn't fall or if we don't like any of these other TEs. 

3 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think logically it makes more sense to sign FAs at TE and WR. Take advantage of the idea that players may want to play with Burrow and be willing to come here at a bit of a discount. There appear to be just 5 FA options that are an obvious upgrade to Hudson

2-Gerald Everett-A bit older and we have already had a chance at him and didn't take it despite connections to Taylor

None of those 3 fit what we usually go after....younger vets on the rise. 27 and younger

4. Noah Fant-He is just turned 26 and that's what we like. He had is least snaps and worst year statistically in Seattle. That might be meaningless because they have a new offense. They added Ryan Grubb from Washington as their OC.. I'd be lying if I said I knew how they used their TEs. We know the Ravens like theirs. He would be my first target. Maybe after an off year you can get him for a reasonable price. The problem is PFF says he is getting 3 years 24 Million. I don't think we pay that. 

5. Colby Parkinson-The only other guy under 27. Is he an obvious upgrade to Hudson? Is he obviously better than a rookie? He has the size we tend to like. Only 57 career catches while splitting time with Dissly and Fant. I like his highlights. He has run after the catch ability and high points the ball in a way that I think Burrow can make useful. If you could get him for 3 years 3-4 mill per I think he is the guy to go with. Push off getting an elite TE but get a solid one and use draft picks and money elsewhere. It's a bad Draft at the position and we are likely to bring back Hudson and Sample.

I guess after thinking through it the best scenario/most likely is Parkinson on a 1 year deal. He cashes out next year with a big season....and we are hedged for if Bowers doesn't fall or if we don't like any of these other TEs. 

Hudson, Sample and Wilcox..

• Upvote 1

Did a bit more digging. Hudson's per snap reception totals are pretty nuts. This is him compared to the other FAs. What we really need is a guy to take a 5 yard pass to 25

TE Age Snaps stats
Hudson-Bengals 30 276 39-352-9-1
Schultz-Texans 28 817 59-635-10.8-5
Henry-Patriots 29 663 42-419-10-6
Everett-Chargers 30 570 51-411-8.1-3
Fant-Seahawks 26 570 32-414-12.9-0
Smith-Falcons 29 653 50-582-11.6-3
Parkinson-Seahawks 25 494 25-247-9.9-2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Jonnu Smith needs added here. 

7 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Hudson, Sample and Wilcox..

That's the minimalist approach. I'd guess the latter 2 are likely to re-sign early. Hudson should probably check the market but will probably be back. He might get more than the vet min deals Sample and Wilcox deserve.

3 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Did a bit more digging. Hudson's per snap reception totals are pretty nuts. This is him compared to the other FAs. What we really need is a guy to take a 5 yard pass to 25

TE Age Snaps stats
Hudson-Bengals 30 276 39-352-9-1
Schultz-Texans 28 817 59-635-10.8-5
Henry-Patriots 29 663 42-419-10-6
Everett-Chargers 30 570 51-411-8.1-3
Fant-Seahawks 26 570 32-414-12.9-0
Smith-Falcons 29 653 50-582-11.6-3
Parkinson-Seahawks 25 494 25-247-9.9-2

The rest of the league probably noticed that Hudson moved seamlessly into the starting lineup over Irv Smith. Tanner was productive but he's also bounced around the league for a while, even has a Super Bowl ring from his time in Tampa. I wouldn't be surprised if Hudson gets offers from other teams.

42 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Imagine if the Bengals extend Tee, extend Ja'Marr, and are able to draft Bowers at TE. 

We could then be talking about a dynasty over the next several years. Even with an average OL. 

We're not going to extend Chase this offseason. I'd be surprised if we reach an extension with Tee and also surprised if Bowers falls to 18. I don't see the Bengals moving up for him.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The rest of the league probably noticed that Hudson moved seamlessly into the starting lineup over Irv Smith.  

The Titans’ new head coach may have noticed…😎

• Upvote 1