I've got lots of thoughts.

1-The Draft is light at TE, especially field stretchers

2-The team was burnt the last draft because they didn't land one

3-They want a field stretcher

4-They want someone 27 or younger

5-They will push to sign Noah Fant and Brock Bowers won't be in the picture come draft day. 

• Upvote 1

Seems like all of the tea leaves point to the Bengals being proactive this year at tight end in free agency. Fant seems to fit the criteria. Second contract/can chew gum and run at the same time.

It’s such a weak year overall for tight end. They really missed a nice opportunity to overhaul last year.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

First thing the Bengals need to do is resign Sample. As the NFL and Draft barely produces any blocking TEs.

He will be needed whether they get Fant or draft Bowers. 

Agree - I think he carved out a nice role for them this past year. But I'm guessing in doing so, he opened up some eyes around the league, and others (like Tenn, with Callahan) will have some interest. 

I was really encouraged to see them interview Erick All at the Combine. I was really impressed by him when he was at Michigan, but he had some injuries and then transferred to Iowa, where he got hurt again. He'd be worth a late pick, or as a priority FA, if he checks out medically. 

I think Sample is really only needed if they’re going to commit more to 12 personnel. I don’t think he gives you what you need from a lone tight end in 11 personnel. They like to get the tight end out into routes and if they want a personal protector in shotgun I’d prefer it to be a guy you could actually run RPO with.

Id like to see him back paired with Bowers. That would signal they are serious about getting bigger bodies in there to run the ball, but as a standalone Y tight end he doesn’t stress the defense enough. 

Adam Trautman could be a pretty decent Y tight end if they want to stay in 11 and miss out on their top targets. Feels a little misutilized in the Payton offenses and has a pretty good RAS to suggest he could at least stress the middle of the field.

• Upvote 2

If they sign Fant its long term. They won't want to invest an additional first. You can't expect to get Bowers at 18 so you have to sign a FA. Signing a FA should preclude a prudent roster builder from then drafting Bowers. Unless its Jonnu Smith/Logan Thomas on a 1 yr deal.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Did it last year with Sydney Jones and Bowser

??

The last time I remember the Bengals bringing back one of their former players to play again was Boomer Esiason

Yall are high if you think Sample will be in demand around the league. He's been a free agent multiple times, and ends up re-signing here on 1 year, minimum benefit deals (that count at a reduced number on the cap). I'm sure the Bengals will offer him a deal like that again and maybe the Titans will, but otherwise, there are other, better blocking TEs available and Sample can't run routes.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Griever said:

Bengals influencer on X, she hasn't been active as of late due to her afore mentioned pregnancy. 

17 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Commisioner Yas?

GGF-G1YW8AQsWGb?format=jpg&name=large

50 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

Hayden Hurst being released as well, although his last concussion will probably scare teams away.

Brutal. Almost $10M in dead money.

• Upvote 1