Pick 18, what should Bengals do?

Pick 18   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which position is the biggest need at 18?

• OT
    • DT
    • Other
  2. 2. Of these OT at 18, which would rather have?

• Amarius Mims
    • JC Latham
    • Olu Fashanu
    • Troy Fatanu
    • Taluese Fuaga
    • Tyler Guyton
  3. 3. Of these DT at 18 which would you rather have?

• Byron Murphy
    • Johnny Newton
  4. 4. Do you want Brock Bowers if he's there?

• Hell yes
    • No, pass for other needs
  5. 5. Are you ok with taking CB Cooper Dejean?

• Yes, White Lightning baby!
    • I guess, but prefer trenches
    • No, don't need a DB early
  6. 6. Of these 4 guys most likely to be taken, who do you want?

• Amarius Mims
    • Byron Murphy
    • JC Latham
    • Johnny Newton
  7. 7. Should the Bengals trade up?

• Yes, quality over quantity
    • No, save the picks
  8. 8. Should the Bengals trade back?

• Possibly, if the main guys are gone
    • No, just take the best guy at 18
  9. 9. Would you be ok with taking a WR at 18?

• Yes, need Tee's replacement
    • No, focus on the trenches
  10. 10. Would you be ok with taking WR Brian Thomas?

• Yes, LSU Tee Clone
    • No, focus on the lines
  11. 11. Should the Bengals consider packaging pick 18 and Tee to go into top 10 for Alt or Nabers?

• Yes, be aggressive
    • No, we need Tee for New Orleans SB run

9 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The draft is approaching. 

Time to discuss the specifics of pick 18. 🤔

OT is my priority.

Mims 

Fuaga

Lathem

DT

Murphy

Newton

CB

De Jean

One of these 6 with emphasis on OTs..

* No TE ..Bowers will be long gone.

• Upvote 1

- I think you can't pass on Bowers if he's there, but don't believe he will be. 

- As we get closer to the draft my "Dancing Bear" 🐻 leg tingles gain in strength and I am now all aboard the Mims train. The problem now is I fear he may not be there (50% chance) as I fear Shittsburgh will try and jump the Bengals for him or Jackoffville might take him at 17. 

- The 3 realistic players that excite me the most are 1. Mims, 2. Murphy, 3. DeJean ... in that order.

- The only WR I would really want in Rd 1 is Nabers, but he goes top 8. I could live with Brian Thomas, but only if Mims and Murphy were both off the board (bigger need). 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

- I think you can't pass on Bowers if he's there, but don't believe he will be. 

- As we get closer to the draft my "Dancing Bear" 🐻 leg tingles gain in strength and I am now all aboard the Mims train. The problem now is I fear he may not be there (50% chance) as I fear Shittsburgh will try and jump the Bengals for him or Jackoffville might take him at 17. 

- The 3 realistic players that excite me the most are 1. Mims, 2. Murphy, 3. DeJean ... in that order.

- The only WR I would really want in Rd 1 is Nabers, but he goes top 8. I could live with Brian Thomas, but only if Mims and Murphy were both off the board (bigger need). 

As far as Inbreds drafting Mims

I don't think they'll have move up for any particular olineman unless Alt and that won't happen.

They may go with JPJ and be good with it.

He may be the next Creed Humphries

and they like to have a dominant C in place..

I too want Mims above any player .

Will he be there?

Dunno 

• Upvote 1

Most media mocks have the first OT Joe Alt going off the board for the Titans at pick 7, but I'm watching the Chargers at pick 5. Could turn out to be misdirection, but it sounds to me like Harbaugh with the Chargers wants an OT at pick 5. Most mocks have the Chargers taking a WR, but if they take Alt it could start OL going off quickly on the board before the Bengals at 18. A team like Tennessee with huge OL needs likely takes the second best OT off of their the board. We all know how position runs can get started earlier than expected once the first guy goes off the board. Could easily be 5 or so OL off the board by pick 18.

Along with 4 or 5 QBs, 3 or 4 WRs, 3 or so defensive players (EDGE/CB) plus maybe Bowers. There won't be any RBs/LBs/safeties taken in the first 17 picks. I also think no DTs will be taken before the Bengals select at pick 18.. So Murphy and Newton would likely be there if they wanted to go in that direction.

• Upvote 2

Bengals have needs at 2 positions with good depth in this draft class, WR and OT. Probably could also use a C and this is a good year for them. We also need a NT, TE, and CB early but this isn't a good year for those positions. 

It partly depends on which current vets the team plans to move on from. Karras, Hill, and Hilton are going into their last year contractually. Maybe Boyd's lack of market brings him back on a 1 year deal. Etc. I'll assume they re-sign Scharping, Tupou, Bailey, and Bachie before the draft though they don't influence the early picks. 

I'm fine with them taking any of several players or positions at 18 as long as they get a high end player who adds a lot of value. Preferably from a position where the talent drops off faster than others. I'm ok with trading Tee if we add a high end player or at least an early 2nd round draft pick. I like the Trent Brown signing but am not confident he'll be healthy all year. I like adding Rankins but neither he nor Hill nor Murphy or Newton are nose tackles. Turner was ok as a rookie but I'm not comfortable handing him a starting job at CB. Our run defense was poor last year, even with Reader. Adding Bell and Stone should get everyone lined up properly and Bell is a much better tackler than Nick Scott.

On the O-line we don't have any depth. The 5 starters look decent but we had very good health on the line last year but can't expect that to continue again. Trent Brown isn't very likely to play every game. Ford is a barely adequate guard/tackle backup. Scharping is ok at C/G, but not under contract currently. Carman, Smith, and Hill are going into the final year of their rookie deals with not much shown for 3 years of development. Some of them shouldn't even make the roster this year. 

I'll post later what my big board would be at 18. 

• Upvote 2

The only way I don't take a RT is if there is a run and none are available. If that happens I'm taking one of the two DTs

Of the RT's I think my preference is Fuga, Fashanu, Mims, Lathem. 

I don't think Bowers will be there, but if he is I wont hate it, Ill be nervous as hell that we can still get a good RT to protect Joe though. 

If none of the RTs, DTs,  or Bowers are there I think I prefer BPA between CB and WR

What I hope is that we arent sitting after the first round wondering how the guy we took makes any sense. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

What I hope is that we arent sitting after the first round wondering how the guy we took makes any sense. 

The wildcard that would send fans into a rage 🤬 would be if one of the top DEs slides (Jared Verse? who Cincy met with) and the Bengals took him with RTs and DTs on the board that most fans want. 

I guess another pick that would blow up Bengals twitter would be if they took Duke's Graham Barton (who they met with) while Mims or Murphy were on the board. I think he's a solid prospect, but since he's less known most fans would be angry. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dex said:

I'm watching the Chargers at pick 5... Most mocks have the Chargers taking a WR, but if they take Alt it could start OL going off quickly on the board.

Best we can hope for is 4 QBs in a row to start the draft (which in think is possible), so that SD is essentially the first pick. I could then see the Chargers taking Nabers over MHJ and shocking most casual fans. 

If that happens you likely then get a run on WR in the next several picks which would help the Bengals on the OT front. 

The nightmare scenario is the QB run is immediately followed by a run on OT, with Alt going to SD like you said. Then the stock could be bare by 18. 

• Upvote 1

Imo 4 QBs go, 3 WRs, Bowers. Likely at least 1 to 2 CBs. At least Alt.

That's 11 guys. 

I also only like 5 OTs (Alt, Fuga, Fashanu, Mims, Lathem)

From there I think probably only 1 of the 2 DTs are gone 

That's 12

You figure at least one DE will be gone too

That's 13

That's where I start getting nervous. If all that's gone.

• Upvote 1

My guesses as to who is off the board before 18.

4 QBs for sure, maybe 25% chance of 1 more and 10% chance of 6 being taken. 

0 RBs, Safeties, LBs.

70% chance Bowers is gone

Mitchell and Arnold will be gone, maybe another CB

Verse and Turner will be gone, maybe Latu

Big 3 WR, 30% Thomas also

20% 1 DT is taken ahead of us

Alt, Fuaga gone. Probably Fashanu, Latham, maybe Lautanu

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Best we can hope for is 4 QBs in a row to start the draft (which in think is possible), so that SD is essentially the first pick. I could then see the Chargers taking Nabers over MHJ and shocking most casual fans. 

If that happens you likely then get a run on WR in the next several picks which would help the Bengals on the OT front. 

The nightmare scenario is the QB run is immediately followed by a run on OT, with Alt going to SD like you said. Then the stock could be bare by 18. 

What a choice between Alt, Harrison Jr, Bowers and Nabors!

A much as Hairball likes linemen I think he gets an outstanding target for Herbert here.

* consensus is MHJ..

I go Nabors..like you...

A Chase clone ..

• Upvote 2

I expect one of these ten players to be selected by the Bengals with pick 18. Some or even most of these players won't be still on the board at 18, but I expect them to choose from four position groups - OL/pass receiver/DT/CB. Who do you think should be subtracted or added from this list? These names are listed in alphabetical order, just a weird coincidence that all of the OTs and DTs are lumped together.

1) Brock Bowers, TE

2) Olumyiwa Fashanu, OT

3) Troy Fautanu, OT

4) Taliese Fuaga, OT

5) JC Latham, OT

6) Amarius Mims, OT

7) Byron Murphy, DT

8 ) Johnny Newton, DT

9) Brian Thomas, WR

10) Nate Wiggins, CB

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I would swap Wiggins for Cooper DeJean. The only CB worth pick 18 in my view. 

This isn't necessarily what I would do, it's just what I think the Bengals might do. I'm not ready to remove Wiggins from the list of 10 names I posted, but I might take out Newton (maybe too early for him?) and add another CB. Maybe DeJean, but I also wouldn't rule out Quinyon Mitchell. The Bengals already have another DB from Toledo they really like, and Mitchell has plenty of the traits that Anarumo seems to prioritize. Of course DeJean has excellent versatility himself, no question.

^ If you use who the Bengals have met as the barometer of their likely pick at 18 ... then you are left with:

TE Bowers

WR Brian Thomas

OT Fuaga

OT Latham

OT Mims

G Barton

C JPJ

DT Murphy

DT Newton

DE Jared Verse

DE Chop Robinson

Thought this was an interesting listen. Some guys they mentioned that are well regarded from their contacts around the league … Graham Barton, for his OL versatility, and DL Brandon Dorlus, who Daniel Jeremiah sees more as a DT but can play both I side and outside. 

They also talk about prospects at certain spots that are closely graded and they give their takes on guys under debate. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nfl-move-the-sticks-with-daniel-jeremiah-bucky-brooks/id915544088?i=1000651828906

I want Mims if he’s there. 
I would not take Bowers if one of the top tackles is there. I think they might trade up in Day 2, but not day 1. 
The only WRs I would even consider at 18 are going in the top 8 to 10 picks. 
My theme for this draft is “Protect the Franchise”. When Burrow is healthy we make the AFCC game. 

14 hours ago, dex said:

This isn't necessarily what I would do, it's just what I think the Bengals might do. I'm not ready to remove Wiggins from the list of 10 names I posted, but I might take out Newton (maybe too early for him?) and add another CB. Maybe DeJean, but I also wouldn't rule out Quinyon Mitchell. The Bengals already have another DB from Toledo they really like, and Mitchell has plenty of the traits that Anarumo seems to prioritize. Of course DeJean has excellent versatility himself, no question.

DeJean is really good - and from what I've seen on the YT tapes and the Sr Bowl, Mitchell is really impressive. DeJean is kinda Dax Hill-esque with his versatility and I think he'd make a great FS, as he finds the ball well. I think it'd be more likely that Mitchell would be the pick if both were available, and they decided to go for a CB. 

Ultimately, I really think they'll go T, especially if someone like Fuaga or Latham is there. Just don't see them moving OBJ so both seem like ideal fits at RT, and even at G if needed. If they are gone and Murphy is available, could definitely see that. I like Johnny Newton a lot but I prefer Murphy. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, texbengal said:

Ultimately, I really think they'll go T, especially if someone like Fuaga or Latham is there.

Agree. I know that Mims is the “intriguing” prospect…but I’m not feeling it for some reason. 

Then again, it’s not my choice. They will get one heckuva prospect/good football player at 18 regardless of who he is. So will everyone else. That is why my standard expression is “Everyone wins on Draft Day”