Jump to content

*** [RD 3] Bengals Select ~ JERMAINE BURTON, WR ***


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

First look in stripes ūüźĮ¬†

 

FB_IMG_1716136037048.jpg

 

FB_IMG_1716136035069.jpg

 

 

Damn was he awake & sober when someone did that Spiderman/Venom sleeve?  Fuckin A that's bad.  You've got money now, hire an actual tattoo artist to fix that scratcher mess.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2024 at 5:34 PM, dex said:

I don't think Higgins is worried about Burton. Higgins is almost exclusively an outside WR. Assuming both Chase and Higgins are healthy, Gesicki and Burton figure to spend most of their time in the slot. If the Bengals want to put Chase in the slot, then Burton could easily line up outside with Higgins. And when Higgins becomes a free agent after next season, then Burton will likely become most an outside receiver. It's why the Bengals chose Burton over Roman Wilson who went 2 picks later...Wilson is a slot WR in the way that Tyler Boyd was.

 

Good take..

 How much will Wilson be a factor this

season?

 

What is his purpose in the slot as opposed to Gesicki and Burton?

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

 

Damn was he awake & sober when someone did that Spiderman/Venom sleeve?  Fuckin A that's bad.  You've got money now, hire an actual tattoo artist to fix that scratcher mess.

Recoloring ..

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

 

Good take..

 How much will Wilson be a factor this

season?

 

What is his purpose in the slot as opposed to Gesicki and Burton?

 

 

 

Having listened to podcasts and read articles, I don't think most Bengals fans realize how different the Bengals offense will look if Burrow is healthy. Much of the change is due to the new offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher. In the 2022-23 season after the Bengals started seeing a lot of soft shell defenses Brian Callahan tried to mode the offense after the one in Denver with Peyton Manning when he he was a coach there...Callahan referenced Manning more than once. That were a lot of spread formations, quick reads, ball control offense behind a very average offensive line. Burrow was the 2nd fastest in the NFL in pass release time behind only Brady in 2022-23 season.

 

What Pitcher wants to do is have more explosive plays and fewer 3rd down situations, which is the down where so many sacks happen. Pitcher's favorite phrase is "1st down, 2nd down, 1st down." Gesicki was available as a free agent last offseason, but Callahan didn't think he offered enough as a blocker. Pitcher doesn't care as much about Gesicki's weakness as he does about his strength. Gesicki was horribly used in New England's offense last year, so discount that completely. Pitcher leans into the fact that in the 3 years between 2020-22, Gesicki was targeted 20 yards down the field more times than Boyd and the Cincinnati TEs COMBINED over the last 3 seasons. That's a jarring stat.

 

Yes, Chase and Higgins are both dynamic players on the outside, but the Bengals have not had the right slot personnel to get the most value out of spread formations where the QB has to usually get rid of the ball quickly assuming he stays in the pocket. Pitcher wants slot personnel who can separate quickly either with their speed or their catch radius. Both Gesicki/Burton have a knack for this and are very sure-handed. And even if no one can separate quickly and the OTs can push the EDGE rushers out wide, then Burrow can step up or roll outside to bide time while the more dynamic slot receivers  (plus Chase/Higgins) can then break off their routes and create explosive plays even further down the field that way.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dex said:

Having listened to podcasts and read articles, I don't think most Bengals fans realize how different the Bengals offense will look if Burrow is healthy. Much of the change is due to the new offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher. In the 2022-23 season after the Bengals started seeing a lot of soft shell defenses Brian Callahan tried to mode the offense after the one in Denver with Peyton Manning when he he was a coach there...Callahan referenced Manning more than once. That were a lot of spread formations, quick reads, ball control offense behind a very average offensive line. Burrow was the 2nd fastest in the NFL in pass release time behind only Brady in 2022-23 season.

 

What Pitcher wants to do is have more explosive plays and fewer 3rd down situations, which is the down where so many sacks happen. Pitcher's favorite phrase is "1st down, 2nd down, 1st down." Gesicki was available as a free agent last offseason, but Callahan didn't think he offered enough as a blocker. Pitcher doesn't care as much about Gesicki's weakness as he does about his strength. Gesicki was horribly used in New England's offense last year, so discount that completely. Pitcher leans into the fact that in the 3 years between 2020-22, Gesicki was targeted 20 yards down the field more times than Boyd and the Cincinnati TEs COMBINED over the last 3 seasons. That's a jarring stat.

 

Yes, Chase and Higgins are both dynamic players on the outside, but the Bengals have not had the right slot personnel to get the most value out of spread formations where the QB has to usually get rid of the ball quickly assuming he stays in the pocket. Pitcher wants slot personnel who can separate quickly either with their speed or their catch radius. Both Gesicki/Burton have a knack for this and are very sure-handed. And even if no one can separate quickly and the OTs can push the EDGE rushers out wide, then Burrow can step up or roll outside to bide time while the more dynamic slot receivers  (plus Chase/Higgins) can then break off their routes and create explosive plays even further down the field that way.

Great post. I think Pitcher has the ability to design an offense that can take this team to another level. High hopes!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dex said:

Having listened to podcasts and read articles, I don't think most Bengals fans realize how different the Bengals offense will look if Burrow is healthy. Much of the change is due to the new offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher. In the 2022-23 season after the Bengals started seeing a lot of soft shell defenses Brian Callahan tried to mode the offense after the one in Denver with Peyton Manning when he he was a coach there...Callahan referenced Manning more than once. That were a lot of spread formations, quick reads, ball control offense behind a very average offensive line. Burrow was the 2nd fastest in the NFL in pass release time behind only Brady in 2022-23 season.

 

What Pitcher wants to do is have more explosive plays and fewer 3rd down situations, which is the down where so many sacks happen. Pitcher's favorite phrase is "1st down, 2nd down, 1st down." Gesicki was available as a free agent last offseason, but Callahan didn't think he offered enough as a blocker. Pitcher doesn't care as much about Gesicki's weakness as he does about his strength. Gesicki was horribly used in New England's offense last year, so discount that completely. Pitcher leans into the fact that in the 3 years between 2020-22, Gesicki was targeted 20 yards down the field more times than Boyd and the Cincinnati TEs COMBINED over the last 3 seasons. That's a jarring stat.

 

Yes, Chase and Higgins are both dynamic players on the outside, but the Bengals have not had the right slot personnel to get the most value out of spread formations where the QB has to usually get rid of the ball quickly assuming he stays in the pocket. Pitcher wants slot personnel who can separate quickly either with their speed or their catch radius. Both Gesicki/Burton have a knack for this and are very sure-handed. And even if no one can separate quickly and the OTs can push the EDGE rushers out wide, then Burrow can step up or roll outside to bide time while the more dynamic slot receivers  (plus Chase/Higgins) can then break off their routes and create explosive plays even further down the field that way.

Told to you by a friend?

No :ninja:

 

P.S.  Also no negativity or shots of any sort at you or your post.

Good stuff

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Griever said:

Great post. I think Pitcher has the ability to design an offense that can take this team to another level. High hopes!

 

Would really like to see Zach give up the play calling duties to concentrate on the big picture. He could still call a play whenever he wants but it would allow him to do more coaching wherever he's needed. OC is a full time job on game day, there's a good reason most teams use one to call plays.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

With Tee holding out, the position is his.

How much of an impact will he have?

I imagine Higgins will do what Bates (same agent) did when he was hit with the franchise tag. Stay in shape, work out on his own, sign the tag late in August before reporting to camp. Cannot be fined because he isn't under contract at the moment. 

 

Even though there are always new plays to learn when the offense gets installed early in training camp - even more so with new OC Dan Pitcher - it really doesn't affect Higgins as much as other skill players because he mostly plays the same WR position all the time. Meanwhile, young players like Burton and Iosivas will get plenty of extra reps in Tee's absence. Not a bad thing at all.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, dex said:

I imagine Higgins will do what Bates (same agent) did when he was hit with the franchise tag. Stay in shape, work out on his own, sign the tag late in August before reporting to camp. Cannot be fined because he isn't under contract at the moment. 

 

Even though there are always new plays to learn when the offense gets installed early in training camp - even more so with new OC Dan Pitcher - it really doesn't affect Higgins as much as other skill players because he mostly plays the same WR position all the time. Meanwhile, young players like Burton and Iosivas will get plenty of extra reps in Tee's absence. Not a bad thing at all.

Not currently paywalled but this has some good tidbits on Pitch

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While Tee pouts with his rat-faced agent over making $22 million this season, Burton is going to outplay him and take his spot for only $1.45 million (he already signed his 4 year, 5.8 mill contract = basically what Tee will make in 4 games).

AURA

444150077_502325515784890_972341053105853496_n.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...