Rounds 4-7 Discussion: 2024 NFL Draft

43 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Got a Center, would have liked it a lot earlier

Even as the last pick of our draft he'll probably make the roster.  That's not necessarily a good thing, but it's what we've got.

Same for any free agent they might scoop up any time between now and that first whistle.  Again, probably not going to be a game changer but they wouldn't have to do much more than show up every day to make the team.  Mims is a great add but he's one guy & looking at the depth chart..  Let's say, there's still room.

• Upvote 1

Overall I'm pretty happy with the draft, not ecstatic but happy.

My biggest question is the 2 TE picks who seem to be serviceable barring injury, but why not just one of them,

(as they seem about the same risk/value), and an edge or IOL earlier? I have no idea who we missed out on but curious.

With our TE situation after next season it may pay off so I hope one or both can contribute on STs immediately to make the team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Overall I'm pretty happy with the draft, not ecstatic but happy.

My biggest question is the 2 TE picks who seem to be serviceable barring injury, but why not just one of them,

Have to think they got tired of renting. Irv was a disappointment & Gesicki is on another (slightly better) one year deal.  The other vets are what they are, backups.

Does seem like they may have drafted players to fit a scheme though. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Even as the last pick of our draft he'll probably make the roster.  That's not necessarily a good thing, but it's what we've got.

Same for any free agent they might scoop up any time between now and that first whistle.  Again, probably not going to be a game changer but they wouldn't have to do much more than show up every day to make the team.

After reading the “home runs/doubles” theories in the threads, it did dawn on me that they may actually be doing that for the first time I can recall. 

Baseball comparisons can be done: if a player hits .300 and gets on base frequently, he goes farther than .250 hitter who doesn’t. And either way, it means that 70% of the time they fail to hit safely. 

It is apparent that they are going to the 3-out-of-10 approach for both FA and draft. Get 3 who can actually play at NFL level, and accept that the other 7 will bomb. Of course, those 3 should be at critical areas such as offensive/defensive lines—and the 7 likely will include psycho wide receivers and major injury recovering types. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, BlackJesus said:

I do like that they all come from big programs. 

Not a fan of small school players in the age of the transfer portal. 

However, how many of them were transfers from one school to another? 

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

However, how many of them were transfers from one school to another? 

That's my point. You can start at a small school, but only scrubs mostly now end their college career at one. 

• Upvote 1

I think at this point with them drafting two tight ends and having Sample and Hudson on the roster as well - I would consider Gesicki more of an offensive weapon or receiver at this point. He’s not going to be lining up with his hand in the dirt much at all, if he does ever.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

That's my point. You can start at a small school, but only scrubs mostly now end their college career at one. 

Quite true. I was thinking more of fellows like Mims (Alabama to Georgia), etc. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

After reading the “home runs/doubles” theories in the threads, it did dawn on me that they may actually be doing that for the first time I can recall. 

Baseball comparisons can be done: if a player hits .300 and gets on base frequently, he goes farther than .250 hitter who doesn’t. And either way, it means that 70% of the time they fail to hit safely. 

It is apparent that they are going to the 3-out-of-10 approach for both FA and draft. Get 3 who can actually play at NFL level, and accept that the other 7 will bomb. Of course, those 3 should be at critical areas such as offensive/defensive lines—and the 7 likely will include psycho wide receivers and major injury recovering types. 

Psycho...lol

I wouldn't sign off on back injuries.

Seems their was one we drafted that had Major surgery can't recall but I'd have passed on him.

Bengals know more about their health than I do so  lets go with this group and see who pans out.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Psycho...lol

I wouldn't sign off on back injuries.

Seems their was one we drafted that had Major surgery can't recall but I'd have passed on him.

Bengals know more about their health than I do so  lets go with this group and see who pans out.

The guy with the back injury was TE Erick All, but the medical reports on that are considered excellent. It's the ACL surgery that he's recovering from now. He had the surgery in October, so he might not be cleared to practice by the start of training camp. I definitely don't think it has to be a redshirt year for All, as speculated above. He may be a big contributor to the offense by the second half of the season. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JC said:

I think at this point with them drafting two tight ends and having Sample and Hudson on the roster as well - I would consider Gesicki more of an offensive weapon or receiver at this point. He’s not going to be lining up with his hand in the dirt much at all, if he does ever.

The age of TEs in the slot is here.

21 hours ago, dex said:

The guy with the back injury was TE Erick All, but the medical reports on that are considered excellent. It's the ACL surgery that he's recovering from now. He had the surgery in October, so he might not be cleared to practice by the start of training camp. I definitely don't think it has to be a redshirt year for All, as speculated above. He may be a big contributor to the offense by the second half of the season. 

McLachlan also had surgery recently though he hopes to be available by the start of training camp.  Several places had him rated ahead of All.