Bengals announce updates to Paycor Stadium including decision to keep primary logo

Kelsey Conway, Cincinnati Enquirer
Thu, May 2, 2024, 10:52 AM CDT·2 min read

Paycor Stadium is undergoing several updates as the home of the Cincinnati Bengals. The team announced updates on the ongoing projects on Wednesday, including the decision behind keeping the 50-yard line logo the same after considering a change as new turf gets installed.

Cincinnati announced it would be installing new turf at Paycor Stadium ahead of the upcoming season. FieldTurf CORE system is the surface they decided to use moving forward. The Bengals used FieldTurf from 2004-11 and are now one of eight teams to use this as their playing surface.

The Bengals considered changing their primary logo that sits on the 50-yard line, Bengals.com writer Butch Hobson said. They considered the leaping tiger, helmet and tiger head as options before deciding to stick with their primary “B” logo.

"We want our field to be immediately recognizable and our primary logo accomplishes that in a clean, crisp way," Elizabeth Blackburn, the Bengals director of strategy and engagement told Hobson. "The 50-yard line is the natural spot for a team's primary logo and we feel lucky to have a mark that presents well on TV from a distance."

Stadium seats are removed by workers on Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024, at Paycor Stadium in Downtown Cincinnati.

Stadium seats are removed by workers on Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024, at Paycor Stadium in Downtown Cincinnati.

Paycor Stadium also got new club seats in addition to a plaza expansion at the entrance of Gate D. The entrance widens from 60 feet to 200 feet with the hope to make arrivals and departures easier. More technology is also being added as 1,600 TVs will now be scattered around Paycor Stadium.

These upgrades are in addition to the Bengals’ decision to renovate the locker room, a year after upgrading the training room. The Bengals will learn their schedule for the upcoming season as the NFL will release the schedule in the next couple of weeks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bengals-announce-updates-paycor-stadium-155257663.html

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Improved the coloring 

IMG_20240503_032758.jpg

Would have liked to see a return of the leaping tiger or maybe just the tiger head. Even the Bengals helmet would have been cool to see. The franchise really likes that "B" for some reason though.

Looks like the stripes in the end zone match the ones on the uniform pants. Looks like they used a bold font for the yardage markers too.

I have always had a bit of an issue with the Bengals’ logo being a “B”.  

Is the Green Bay Packers’ logo a “P”? No.

Is the Kansas City Chiefs’ logo a “C”?  No.

Is the Denver Broncos’ logo a “B”? No.

is the Chicago Bears’ logo a “B”? No.

Is the Washington Commanders’ logo a “C”?  No.

The Bengals’ “letter logo” should be a “C”…for Cincinnati.  I fully believe that ownership chose the “B” to make the team easier to move…just in case. 🤨

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Cricket said:

The Bengals’ “letter logo” should be a “C”…for Cincinnati.  I fully believe that ownership chose the “B” to make the team easier to move…just in case. 🤨

The other teams are wrong..😎

Your stretching it to something it isn't. 

AFCN  teams do it different....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

Or for Brown/Blackburn

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I think one end zone should say Cincinnati and the other Bengals

Not sure they need Bengals twice

Yes! Riverfront used to do this, loved it coupled with the helmet

CIN_1997-1999^1.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The B is an odd choice but I've yet to see a concept for a C logo with stripes that looks anywhere near good. I agree with most that the tiger should be the primary, but it always bothered me that it was facing/leaping backwards. Logos should flow left to right, unless on the left side of a helmet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleeds Orange said:

The B is an odd choice but I've yet to see a concept for a C logo with stripes that looks anywhere near good. I agree with most that the tiger should be the primary, but it always bothered me that it was facing/leaping backwards. Logos should flow left to right, unless on the left side of a helmet.

Eagles would like to have a word (although theirs is for hidden lettering purposes lol)

EaglesLogoE_medium.png

4 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

but I've yet to see a concept for a C logo

In the famous pre-1968 photo of PB in an office full of helmet prototypes, there was one "C" version of some uniqueness:

Getting Ready for the Bengals' Uniform Unveiling

Although it too, looks like a "B" 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

In the famous pre-1968 photo of PB in an office full of helmet prototypes, there was one "C" version of some uniqueness:

Did they have a competition for 8-year-olds to design the helmet?  Yikes!

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2024 at 1:51 PM, Griever said:

Eagles would like to have a word (although theirs is for hidden lettering purposes lol)

EaglesLogoE_medium.png

Yeah, that one bothers me, too.  😄  There's been debate as to whether the E was intentional or accidental, and some are pretty passionate about their stance on the topic.

On 5/6/2024 at 5:12 PM, Le Tigre said:

Yeah, I'd group those into the "don't look good" category. 😄

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Yeah, I'd group those into the "don't look good" category. 😄

Interesting that the one he’s holding is the one chosen in 1980 to replace the block “Bengals” version. 

• Upvote 1

Californian Bruce Claypool, who was the Art Director for NFL Properties, is credited with the current design. He's not a fan of the white version, by the way. 

Personally, I think one of the strengths of the current design is the strong color contrast of black and orange. White is a weaker choice as it is sometimes associated with being “pretty” and I don’t think that is the right look for a football team.  https://www.outsideleft.com/main.php?updateID=2212

Surprisingly, the identity of the creator of the original design isn't readily available. I wonder if any of the Brown family knows.

bengalsproto1.jpg

bengalsproto3.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Californian Bruce Claypool, who was the Art Director for NFL Properties, is credited with the current design. He's not a fan of the white version, by the way. 

Surprisingly, the identity of the creator of the original design isn't readily available. I wonder if any of the Brown family knows.

bengalsproto1.jpg

bengalsproto3.jpg

That is a really interesting tidbit about the creator's feelings toward the white helmet, surprising to me considering how much I like it. I guess he does have a point though lol

QAaP88yAZVm7opLhUlQi--1--pe94r.jpg

1 hour ago, Bleeds Orange said:

bengalsproto1.jpg

bengalsproto3.jpg

This is the first time I have seen this prototype outside of that old photo. Whoever thought of it, was way before their time.