Geoff Hobson on tomorrow's new OTA phase:

PHASE THREE: Here's how Pitcher explains the difference between phase two, which ends Thursday, and phase three, which starts Tuesday.

"The only (difference) really is you can line up across from a defender," Pitcher says. "We'll have full speed passing drills (seven-on-seven) and 11-on-11 walkthroughs."

There'll be no one-on-ones. The league is adamant about legislating against any physical contact in the spring, so Pitcher says the Bengals are trying their best to avoid putting them in such a situation.

He knows what people are thinking when they hear "walkthroughs." But it couldn't be more opposite from the truth, Pitcher says.

"That's where you get the scheme and the adjustments and the communication. It all happens in a walkthrough. It's critical to our success," Pitcher says.

"It's important from a mental standpoint. No more imaginary people or reading routes off imaginary safeties. There are actual humans out there. Not full speed, but you still have to make decisions in real time. If the quarterback changes it at the line, how quickly they see it and adjust. That's the part we haven't done."

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, dex said:

Geoff Hobson on tomorrow's new OTA phase:

PHASE THREE: Here's how Pitcher explains the difference between phase two, which ends Thursday, and phase three, which starts Tuesday.

"The only (difference) really is you can line up across from a defender," Pitcher says. "We'll have full speed passing drills (seven-on-seven) and 11-on-11 walkthroughs."

There'll be no one-on-ones. The league is adamant about legislating against any physical contact in the spring, so Pitcher says the Bengals are trying their best to avoid putting them in such a situation.

He knows what people are thinking when they hear "walkthroughs." But it couldn't be more opposite from the truth, Pitcher says.

"That's where you get the scheme and the adjustments and the communication. It all happens in a walkthrough. It's critical to our success," Pitcher says.

"It's important from a mental standpoint. No more imaginary people or reading routes off imaginary safeties. There are actual humans out there. Not full speed, but you still have to make decisions in real time. If the quarterback changes it at the line, how quickly they see it and adjust. That's the part we haven't done."

Nice. Would you suggest a new thread for tomorrow or keep going with this one?

37 minutes ago, Griever said:

Nice. Would you suggest a new thread for tomorrow or keep going with this one?

Probably a new one since this new phase will be very different. The players will no longer be going up against just "air." There will be actual competition.

• Upvote 2

On 5/17/2024 at 7:11 PM, T-Dub said:

It'd be interesting to see how he fares outside of the patented wide zone scheme.

We're power now not finesse.

Don't really know why Carman has been inadequate outside of positioning.

Maybe he's better suited at G.

Putting a square peg in a round hole didn't work.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

... I'm hoping for a pink slip. Time to cut his sorry ass. 

In favor of who? Maybe one of these UDFAs outplays him in camp but that's a longshot.

Maybe give his spot to that 5th TE. An injury to the OL anywhere other than RT probably tanks the season either way. Unfortunately they'd still have to play Burrow behind a 2nd string OL & we all know how that's gonna go.

26 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

In favor of who?

With some players, I feel they are an addition just in their subtraction. So I would be fine replacing him with a ham sandwich

I don't want any of Flounder's underachieving suckage or habits to rub off on Mims, who I think has potential to be an All-Pro. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

With some players, I feel they are an addition just in their subtraction. So I would be fine replacing him with a ham sandwich.

I know this team is reluctant to make trades but I think they'd have to consider it.

I don't want any of Flounder's underachieving suckage or habits to rub off on Mims, who I think has potential to be an All-Pro. 

Letting guys like that hang around is kind of a thing with this organization.  Paul Brown was notorious for demanding a certain level of performance, to the point of famously cutting punter Rex Keeling at halftime.  How did Mike end up so pudding-soft?

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I know this team is reluctant to make trades but I think they'd have to consider it.

Letting guys like that hang around is kind of a thing with this organization.  Paul Brown was notorious for demanding a certain level of performance, to the point of famously cutting punter Rex Keeling at halftime.  How did Mike end up so pudding-soft?

He also cut some more recent Bengals father at the airport for showing up drunk for the flight. Can't recall the names.

Cut a guy on the flight on the way home from an away game in front to the team and it was like... what's he supposed to do?  Get up and leave?

(from Trumpy's biography)

Did not draft Dan Marino because of rumors of smoking rope in college but did draft acid head Kirby Criswell because he did not know what LSD was.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

He's still on a cheap rookie deal.

Like you said "who takes his spot?"

Same with Smith and Hill.

We do have Cody Ford and possibly a vet guard after teams cuts.

I don't think they're done with the retooling.

• Like 1

I'm surprised they haven't re-signed Scharping. He was the backup center last year ahead of Trey Hill. He was cheap, under 2 mil, and had dozens of NFL starts under his belt. Seems like a better option at center than Hill and a better option at guard than Carman. 

• Upvote 1

The fact that Scharping is still sitting out there unsigned by any team may say a lot about how he's viewed around the league. Hopefully he will get an opportunity somewhere, even if it turns out not to be with the Bengals.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dex said:

The fact that Scharping is still sitting out there unsigned by any team may say a lot about how he's viewed around the league. Hopefully he will get an opportunity somewhere, even if it turns out not to be with the Bengals.

Bengals view Sharping as another Carmen/Hill/Smith type.

They'll pass on giving him a vet minimum.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Bengals view Sharping as another Carmen/Hill/Smith type.

They'll pass on giving him a vet minimum.

Right now I feel like the 3 OL reserves active on gamedays will be Mims(OT) Ford (OG) Hill (center), 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dex said:

Right now I feel like the 3 OL reserves active on gamedays will be Mims(OT) Ford (OG) Hill (center), 

Agree plus the signings of a couple vet guards as backups isn't out if the question

Attrition in the interior should be a focal point 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Sure, but this is the time when teams have had a look at their rosters and are trying to patch holes in their depth charts. Tupou just signed today with Baltimore, for instance. 

I presume the Bengals didn't think he could plug a gap worth a shit and let him go.

Agree....

• Like 1

But last year Scharping was ahead of Hill on the depth chart at center and maybe ahead of Ford on the chart at guard. He was also paid more than either of those worthies. So it doesn't make much sense to drop him in favor of guys behind him unless they had proven to be better players. Let's just say they didn't show much last year. 

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

But last year Scharping was ahead of Hill on the depth chart at center and maybe ahead of Ford on the chart at guard. He was also paid more than either of those worthies. So it doesn't make much sense to drop him in favor of guys behind him unless they had proven to be better players. Let's just say they didn't show much last year. 

Even though all 5 starters started every regular season game, Ford was definitely ahead of Scharping in terms of usage. Ford got 78 offensive snaps in 2023, Scharping only 13 snaps. Less sure about Hill at center since Karras started every game. Hill certainly has more experience at center than Scharping, who only started practicing some in the middle after the Bengals picked him up on waivers before the 2022-23 season.

• Upvote 1

Hill played 0 snaps last year. So Scharping was certainly ahead of him, though I agree he didn't play much. We can probably expect Matt Lee to displace Trey Hill from the roster but he may be more of a PS candidate than one for the 53. Ford is nominally a tackle though he's also played guard in the NFL. He was ahead of D'Ante Smith and behind Jackson Carman on last year's depth chart.