ROUND 4: Bengals take CENTER Jonathan Luigs #106 overall

And the board rejoices

[img]http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/combine/headshots/71373.jpg[/img]

Jonathan Luigs ([url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input%3a%6fl"][color="#364c88"]C[/color][/url]) Height: 6'4"Weight: 301College: [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-college/dt-by-college-input:89"][color="#364c88"]Arkansas[/color][/url]Conference: [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-college/dt-by-conference-input:sec"][color="#364c88"]SEC[/color][/url]Hometown: Little Rock, ARHigh School: Pulaski Academy[url="http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jonathan-luigs?id=71373"][color="#364c88"]View Combine Page >>[/color][/url]
Combine Results:40 Yard Dash : 5.14 secondsBench Press : 26.0 repsVertical Jump : 31.0 inchesBroad Jump : 99.0 inches3 Cone Drill : 7.69 seconds20 Yard Shuttle : 4.4 seconds
[url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tab-set-1:dt-by-team/team-cin"][img]http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/teams/CIN/CIN_logo-50x50.gif[/img][/url] Selected by: [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-position-input:rb/dt-by-team-input:cin"][color="#364c88"]Cincinnati Bengals[/color][/url]
Round: [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:4"][color="#364c88"]4[/color][/url]
Pick (Overall): [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:4"][color="#364c88"]6 (106)[/color][/url]

[b]Overview[/b] Much like the Pac-10 Conference, where California's Alex Mack and Oregon's Max Unger battled for the title of that league's premier center, Luigs had a similar situation, as he and Alabama's Antoine Caldwell split All-Southeastern Conference first-team honors over their last three seasons. While the Pac-10 duo is known for their physicality, the SEC tandem is known more for their quickness and field savvy.

The two-time All-American was a three-time finalist for the Rimington Trophy, given to the nation's top center. He captured that honor as a junior and has been the centerpiece of the Razorback's front wall, compiling a string of 49 consecutive starts, every game he appeared in at Arkansas. He has also excelled in the classroom, as he was a member of the school's Academic Honor Roll in each of his last four seasons.

At Pulaski Academy, Luigs was a three-year starter on the offensive line, lining up at center and offensive tackle, as well as defensive end. He was named to the Associated Press Arkansas Super Team and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette All-Arkansas team as a senior, adding All-Metro squad honors as a junior. He was also a member of the National Honor Society.

Luigs was the 2003 recipient of the Brandon Burlsworth Award, named after the former Razorback All-American offensive guard. Super Prep rated him as the 12th-best overall prospect in Arkansas while The Morning News had him rated 14th. In each of his three varsity seasons, he graded at least 90 percent for blocking consistency.

As a senior, Luigs capped his prep career by helping his squad win its first state title (Class 3A) in school history with a 13-2 mark. As a junior defensive tackle, he recorded 77 tackles (26 solos), four sacks, three more stops for losses of 30 yards and two pressures.

Luigs was heavily recruited by Louisiana State, Memphis, Alabama, Iowa, Kansas State and Nebraska, but decided to enroll at Arkansas. He spent the 2004 season on the scout team, seeing action mostly as an offensive guard, but also performed at center.

In 2005, the redshirt freshman earned Freshman All-American and Freshman All-Southeastern Conference honors. He started 10 games, lining up at right guard in seven contests and at center in three late-season clashes. He sat out the Alabama game with a high ankle sprain, but went on to register 53 knockdowns with eight touchdown-resulting blocks, posting an 84.2 percent grade for blocking consistency.

Luigs was a Rimington Trophy finalist, adding All-SEC first-team and All-American second-team honors in 2006. He made 34 knockdowns with seven touchdown-resulting blocks. He graded 85.1 percent for a running attack that led the conference and ranked fourth in the nation with an average of 228.5 yards per game on the ground. He led the team in knockdowns three times, as he was part of a front wall that led the major college ranks, giving up just nine quarterback sacks for the campaign. He also recorded one tackle.

Luigs captured the Rimington Trophy in 2007 and shared the SEC's Jacobs Blocking Trophy (conference's top offensive lineman) with Alabama's Andre Smith. The consensus All-American first-team choice was credited with a career-high 84 knockdowns and led the league's interior linemen with 14 touchdown-resulting blocks. With their center leading the way, the Razorbacks again led the SEC and ranked fourth in the country with an average of 286.54 yards per game rushing. Arkansas also ranked second in the league and 17th nationally in total offense with an average of 450.0 yards per game.

With both Darren McFadden and Felix Jones having left Arkansas for the NFL, the team's once formidable running game came to a screeching halt in 2008. Luigs was again named a finalist for the Rimington Trophy, but lost out to Alabama's Antoine Caldwell for first-team All-SEC honors. He delivered 66 knockdowns and graded 85.42 percent for blocking consistency. But the Hogs finished 97th in the nation in rushing (113.5 ypg). The team's offensive line was the main problem, as the front wall placed 118th among the 119 major colleges, allowing 46 sacks for the season.

[b]High School[/b] Attended Pulaski (Little Rock, Ark.) Academy, playing football for head coach Kevin Kelley...Three-year starter on the offensive line, lining up at both center and offensive tackle, as well as playing defensive end...Named to the Associated Press Arkansas Super Team and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette All-Arkansas team as a senior, adding All-Metro squad honors as a junior...Also a member of the National Honor Society...2003 recipient of the Brandon Burlsworth Award, named after the former Razorback All-American offensive guard...Super Prep rated him as the 12th-best overall prospect in Arkansas while The Morning News had him rated 14th...In each of his three varsity seasons, he graded at least 90 percent for blocking consistency...As a senior, Luigs capped his prep career by helping his squad win its first state title (Class 3A) in school history with a 13-2 mark... As a junior defensive tackle, he recorded 77 tackles (26 solos), four sacks, three more stops for losses of 30 yards and two pressures.

Jonathan Luigs
C, Arkansas

NFL comparison:
Ryan Kalil, Panthers

War Room analysis
Strengths: Has quick feet and uses them well in both the running and passing attack. Is good at staying on and sustaining his blocks and playing under control. Displays solid upper body strength to handle bull rushers and the finesse to deal with quicker defenders. Is a tough and competitive blocker. Is quick enough to get through the line of scrimmage and easily seal block the defender out of the play. Works well with his fellow guards to handle stunts and loops.

Weaknesses: Has a tendency to play high in his sets and has to fight to regain leverage. Needs to improve pass protection technique and learn to bend at his knees, not his hips. Loses balance and falls off blocks too easily. Needs to improve picking up his feet to avoid getting tripped up by low traffic. Lacks the playing strength to physically dominate the defender.

Bottom line: Luigs has been the leader for one of the best running teams in college football, and he works hard on every play. If he can gain some strength in his base on blocks, he'll become a dominant blocker in the NFL. [b]He should get an opportunity to start immediately in the pros and has the potential to be a solid starting center who can anchor an offensive line for the next 10 years.[/b]

[quote name='TheLightWithin' post='769384' date='Apr 26 2009, 01:35 PM']The perfect draft: see 2009 Cincinnati Bengals[/quote]

Would it make sense to package some later picks (say our 5th and either 6th 7th) to jump up into the middle of the 4th for a pass catching RB?

University of Arkansas center Jonathan Luigs is the recipient of the 2007 Rimington Trophy, given annually to the nation's most outstanding center in college football. The announcement was made today by the Rimington committee.

Luigs will be recognized as the winner at The Home Depot College Football Awards show, broadcast live on ESPN, in Orlando, Florida on December 6, 2007. The annual Rimington Trophy awards banquet will be held at the Rococo Theatre in Lincoln, Nebraska on January 12, 2008.

"This is a tremendous eye opener for me especially when I look at the history of the trophy and the distinguished lists of winners. It is an honor to be mentioned in the same circle and even bigger honor to recieve the trophy," said Jonathan Luigs.

Luigs is the centerpiece of a University of Arkansas offensive line that has cleared the way for the SEC's top rushing attack (296.8 yards per game) which ranks third in the nation. The junior is riding a streak of 28 consecutive starts at center for the Razorbacks and leads the offensive line with a 90.4 percent grade average including team-leading averages in run (86.1 percent) and pass (96.9 percent) blocking.

"It is an honor to name Jonathan as the winner of the 2007 Riminton Trophy. He and the Razorbacks played a great season. To compete at the level Jonathan did against such a tough SEC defense, it is a testament to the strength and skill that makes him the top collegiate center. Congratulations to all the watch list candidates, finalists and Jonathan," added Dave Rimington.

Luigs will line up against Rimington Trophy finalist Adam Spieker and the Missouri Tigers in the 2008 AT&T Cotton Bowl which will take place on January 1, 2008 in Dallas, Texas.

About the Rimington Trophy
The eight-year old trophy is presented by Canon and The Cornhusker Marriott. The award is presented by the Boomer Esiason Foundation. Esiason created his foundation in 1993 to support research and treatment of cystic fibrosis. Esiason and Dave Rimington were teammates on the Cincinnati Bengals from 1984-87. Rimington, the award's namesake, was a consensus first team All- America center at Nebraska in 1981 and 1982 during which he became the John Outland Trophy's only double winner as the nation's premiere college interior lineman.

Past recipients include Dominic Raiola (Nebraska. 2000), LeCharles Bentley (Ohio State, 2001), Brett Romberg (Miami, 2002), Jake Grove (Virginia Tech, 2003), co- winners David Baas (Michigan, 2004) and Ben Wilkerson (LSU, 2004), Greg Eslinger (Minnesota, 2005) and Dan Mozes (West Virginia, 2006). Since its inception the Rimington Trophy Award has raised over $1.03 million for its benefactor, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. It, in turn, is hosted by the Boomer Esiason Foundation which, to date, has raised nearly $60 million for Cystic Fibrosis research.

The Rimington Trophy is a fully accredited member of the National College Football Awards Association.

[quote name='#22' post='769396' date='Apr 26 2009, 01:41 PM']The Bengals are raping in this draft.

What a great day. Even the anti-homers on here have to be happy.[/quote]
x2

I want an RB, but if Huber is there when we pick in the 5th I would be stoked if they took him.

[quote]Weaknesses: Has a tendency to play high in his sets and has to fight to regain leverage. Needs to improve pass protection technique and learn to bend at his knees, not his hips. Loses balance and falls off blocks too easily.[/quote]

Those are all the same thing. Which is great. Technique can be taught, guts and determination can't.

Yet another great value pick. I dunno who we've got in the war room, but it's not the people we had the last few years.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='769402' date='Apr 26 2009, 12:43 PM']x2

I want an RB, but if Huber is there when we pick in the 5th I would be stoked if they took him.[/quote]

Huber? Really?

The guy with the low line drive punts with very little hang-time? Don't think he translates to be a good NFL punter.

Don't think we'll need to use a draft pick on him. Doubt he gets drafted at all. There are at least a couple punters I would take before him.

[quote]NFL analyst Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN rates Luigs behind five other centers - Cal's Alex Mack, Louisville's Eric Wood, Oregon's Max Unger, Alabama's Antoine Caldwell and Penn State's A.Q. Shipley - but he likes Luigs' long-term prospects in the league.
[b]
"I think he's got a little Jeff Saturday in him," Kiper said,[/b] comparing Luigs to the Indianapolis Colts' center, a 10-year NFL veteran. "Jeff Saturday had a nice career at North Carolina, but his stock kind of dropped throughout the process and he ended up having a nice career in the NFL. Luigs is kind of like that.

"People think he'll be overmatched because of 1-on-1 situations, and he was at times. But, hey, in the NFL you're not always in those 1-on-1 situations. ... I liked what I saw of Luigs in a lot of games, and I think in the right offensive blocking structure, he can have a future."

"Saturday's a great player and a Pro Bowler, so it's an honor to be mentioned in the same sentence with him," Luigs said.[/quote]

full article:

[url="http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/258078/"]http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/258078/[/url]

Am I just gun shy, or does this kid spook anyone else too?

Known less for physicality than quickness and field savvy.
Needs to add some strength.
Stands too high and loses leverage at times.
Can get overmatched one on one...

He sounds kind of like the center we just kicked to the curb to me.

[quote name='mongo' post='769448' date='Apr 26 2009, 02:26 PM']Am I just gun shy, or does this kid spook anyone else too?

He sounds kind of like the center we just kicked to the curb to me.[/quote]

Your not the only one that feels this way.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='769401' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:42 AM']C Jonathan Luigs Highlights Arkansas vs Florida 2008

[/quote]
Wow. That play at :48 into the video shows him collapse his side, and then bust into the next level, resulting in the RB getting a big gain. That was an awesome play.

[quote name='mongo' post='769448' date='Apr 26 2009, 02:26 PM']Am I just gun shy, or does this kid spook anyone else too?

he has some of the same physical concerns as Bluto for sure, but I also think he's much more talented than Bluto ever was.

I'd think most people have to be slightly concerned when you draft a position of obivous need so late. He may do fine and I hope he does but he was 4th or 5th on many lists for centers so it's a bigger risk. Of course it is possible that we are comfortable with one of our other centers. It'd just been tough to turn down the talent they have already drafted. This draft reminds me of 2005 when we grabbed Pollack, Thurman and Henry. 1st Round talents that fell for various reasons and if Pollack and Thurman hadn't had those problems, I'm thinkng we weren't high enough to get Rivers or Smith. Let's just hope this one turns out better.

[quote name='mongo' post='769448' date='Apr 26 2009, 01:26 PM']Am I just gun shy, or does this kid spook anyone else too?

im trying not to feel that way, but i do too

hope im wrong, some of the stuff posted in this thread has warmed me up a bit to him, but im still not overly enthused about it

[quote name='mongo' post='769448' date='Apr 26 2009, 01:26 PM']Am I just gun shy, or does this kid spook anyone else too?

i see where your coming from, but all of his downsides are things that are changed for most every palyer when they hit the pros automatically.. you hit the strength and conditioning program and get bigger and stronger and then you get with the position coaches (who our oline coach is GREAT) and you get your technique tweaked to perfection..

strength and technique tweak seems to be the fix for every negative about the guy, seems smart, quick, and "field savvy" which i guess is awareness..

so im comfy with this pickl..
i think eric G's bio read:

Con: sucks at playing football, especially center, will likely fall down into fetal position and cry while QB is chased and destroyed by defenders at will"

I hope this guy is the answer. I just worry about replacing a 4th round center with technique and strength concerns with another 4th round center with technique and strength concerns... especially when we have 5 picks in the 6th and 7th to move around and get the guy we want at a spot appropriate for him.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='769456' date='Apr 26 2009, 12:36 PM']Con: sucks at playing football, especially center, will likely fall down into fetal position and cry while QB is chased and destroyed by defenders at will"[/quote]

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but wasn't one of the complaints of EG was that he had problems grasping things (ala A. Brooks)?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='769456' date='Apr 26 2009, 02:36 PM']i think eric G's bio read:

Con: sucks at playing football, especially center, will likely fall down into fetal position and cry while QB is chased and destroyed by defenders at will"[/quote]
:lmao:

Archived