Freeney Franchised

texbengal

What a complete shock! :o

Colts place franchise tag on DE Freeney
NFL.com wire reports

INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 19, 2007) -- The Indianapolis Colts made defensive end Dwight Freeney their franchise player, keeping him with the Super Bowl champions for at least one more season while they work on a long-term contract.

Freeney, a first-round draft pick in 2002, missed the Pro Bowl this year for the first time since his rookie season. He was held to a career-low 5½ sacks while fighting shoulder and leg injuries.

Still, the Colts were not going to let him get away.

"He wasn't going to go anywhere," team president Bill Polian said. "There's no timeline, but we're still talking (to his agent) with the idea of putting together a longer deal. He's a key part of our team."

Freeney would have become an unrestricted free agent March 2 without a new contract. The franchise tag means the Colts could keep him by matching any offer sheet he might sign with another team. If they chose not to match it, the Colts would get the other team's first-round draft picks in 2007 and 2008 as compensation.

He's guaranteed $8,644,000, the average salary of the top five defensive ends next season.

Looks like Charles Grant will be tagged, too...

Source: Saints to tag DE Grant as franchise player
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Barring an unexpected breakthrough in contract negotiations, ESPN.com has learned that the New Orleans Saints will designate left defensive end Charles Grant as a franchise player before Thursday's deadline, a move that will keep him off the unrestricted free agent market.

There has been virtually no momentum in contract discussions since the end of the season, and it will take considerable progress in the next few days to even close the gap in talks, much less reach an accord. Teams who want to exercise the franchise or transition marker on a player have until Thursday to do so.

The value of the franchise marker for a defensive end, which basically represents a one-year qualifying offer, is $8.66 million.

If the Saints use the franchise tag, Grant will be able to negotiate with other teams, and New Orleans will have a right of first refusal. But the cost for another club to sign a franchise player is exorbitant, with compensation set at a air of first-round draft choices, so franchise players rarely change teams.

Grant had hoped to avoid the franchise tag because of the acrimony it typically entails and because, like most pending free agents, he would prefer to be unrestricted.

A former University of Georgia standout, Grant, 28, was New Orleans' first-round choice in the 2002 draft and has played his entire career under his original contract.

Grant, who has never missed a game in five seasons, comprises half of a standout defensive end tandem, teaming with another former first-round choice, Will Smith. Most experts feel that Smith is the better all-around player, but there is no denying Grant is a force.

He is an intense two-way performer, a defender whose motor typically runs high, and who plays well versus the run and the pass. Without the franchise tag, his value would be further enhanced in what projects as a very thin unrestricted free agent market.

In 80 appearances, Grant has 298 tackles, 36 sacks, one interception, 24 passes defensed, 15 forced fumbles and five recoveries. He totaled 20½ sacks in 2003-04, but fell off to just 2½ sacks in 2005, before improving to six in 2006.

With the Thursday deadline looming, there have been four players -- Chicago weakside linebacker Lance Briggs, Cincinnati defensive end Justin Smith, New England cornerback Asante Samuel and defensive end Dwight Freeney of the Super Bowl-champion Colts -- designated as franchise players.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='GoBengals' post='442981' date='Feb 19 2007, 10:02 PM']cant you tag someone if you dont have the cap room? does the cap even matter right now? the colts were looking to be in cap trouble and a 9 mil TAG should ahve them "screwed" right about now...
anyone.. anyone..?[/quote]

I don't think cap total matters right now.I do believe there is a cutoff date in some point in time however before the start of season.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='GoBengals' post='442981' date='Feb 19 2007, 10:02 PM']cant you tag someone if you dont have the cap room? does the cap even matter right now? the colts were looking to be in cap trouble and a 9 mil TAG should ahve them "screwed" right about now...

[quote name='schotzee' post='442982' date='Feb 19 2007, 10:07 PM']I don't think cap total matters right now.I do believe there is a cutoff date in some point in time however before the start of season.[/quote]

Must be in compliance with the salary cap by March 2nd.

When must teams come in compliance with the Salary Cap?

Answer: March 2. [url="http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp"]http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp[/url]

A little better than half way down the page.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='442981' date='Feb 20 2007, 03:02 AM']cant you tag someone if you dont have the cap room? does the cap even matter right now? the colts were looking to be in cap trouble and a 9 mil TAG should ahve them "screwed" right about now...

The cap only matters to teams that don't know how to manipulate it.

Guest Yojimbo
[quote name='Storm' post='443036' date='Feb 20 2007, 07:24 AM']The cap only matters to teams that don't know how to manipulate it.[/quote]

Well said, and completely over the head of 90 percent of the posters here.

[quote name='Storm' post='443036' date='Feb 20 2007, 07:24 AM']The cap only matters to teams that don't know how to manipulate it.[/quote]

[quote name='Yojimbo' post='443040' date='Feb 20 2007, 07:59 AM']Well said, and completely over the head of 90 percent of the posters here.[/quote]

Those teams usually wind up in salary cap hell in a few years.

Would you rather take a couple more years and build a team that can win 3 or 4 super bowls, and remain viable, or a team that builds up for a 1 or 2 year run, then has to get rid of half the team to make the cap and take 3 years to rebuild again?

Would you rather be the Patriots or the Titans?

[quote name='Jason' post='443078' date='Feb 20 2007, 10:45 AM']Those teams usually wind up in salary cap hell in a few years.

Would you rather take a couple more years and build a team that can win 3 or 4 super bowls, and remain viable, or a team that builds up for a 1 or 2 year run, then has to get rid of half the team to make the cap and take 3 years to rebuild again?

Would you rather be the Patriots or the Titans?[/quote]

I think he wants to use the Redskins model where they backload the contract and cut the guy before he realizes the majority of the money.

Now of course they have such a great record during the Snyder years to show how well their model works. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Many reports have them looking at losing Nick Harper, Dominick Rhodes, and Cato June to name a few... and quite possibly a couple more. So they ARE in cap hell.

Oh yeah... Jamie B... I bet you won't hear the Redkin fans whining about them not signing any "big name difference making FA's"... like so many of our fans do.

:ninja:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='443116' date='Feb 20 2007, 02:47 PM']I think he wants to use the Redskins model where they backload the contract and cut the guy before he realizes the majority of the money.
Now of course they have such a great record during the Snyder years to show how well their model works. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img][/quote]

I see what you're saying, but that's because the Redskins tried to build a TEAM through free agency....which does not work. There is a middle ground in this that you supplement your current team with a high caliber free agent to "take you over the top" which I think the Bengals could do with A. Thomas this year.

like the titans.

[quote name='Yojimbo' post='443040' date='Feb 20 2007, 07:59 AM']Well said, and completely over the head of 90 percent of the posters here.[/quote]

then perhaps you should post somewhere else.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='443131' date='Feb 20 2007, 12:34 PM']I see what you're saying, but that's because the Redskins tried to build a TEAM through free agency....which does not work. There is a middle ground in this that you supplement your current team with a high caliber free agent to "take you over the top" which I think the Bengals could do with A. Thomas this year.[/quote]

adalius thomas isnt superman, he is a good LB, replace miller or landon with thomas and we are still 8-8, MAYBE..MAYBE 9-7. no single defensive player is going to change an entire team. 2-3 less injuries gives this team a hell of a lot more than thomas ever could.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='443131' date='Feb 20 2007, 12:34 PM']I see what you're saying, but that's because the Redskins tried to build a TEAM through free agency....which does not work. There is a middle ground in this that you supplement your current team with a high caliber free agent to "take you over the top" which I think the Bengals could do with A. Thomas this year.[/quote]

I dont see one player putting us over the top. We have more needs than one. If this were the case where we were like the Ravens and only had to add a McNair to get us there (which didnt really put them 'over the top' as their running game was still suspect.) then I'd agree. But we have needs in more than one area to be spending the high dollars on one player.

Also look at some of those high dollar guys like Arrington and Abraham, both of whom signed deals last year and went on and got hurt. Also look at Warren Sapp, he didnt preform anywhere near the level of his contract untill this year.

I KNOW the same guys who are crying for high dollar FA's are the same guys who would be crying if those FA's got hurt or didnt preform up to snuff saying "we wasted our money."

[quote name='GoBengals' post='443136' date='Feb 20 2007, 03:08 PM']adalius thomas isnt superman, he is a good LB, replace miller or landon with thomas and we are still 8-8, MAYBE..MAYBE 9-7. no single defensive player is going to change an entire team. 2-3 less injuries gives this team a hell of a lot more than thomas ever could.[/quote]

Sure, but given that we do have injuries to Pollack and Thurman (mental injury), if we could sign Thomas who can play DE, LB effectively for another 2 or 3 years...I think our defense would be better off. 9-7 would have gotten us in the playoffs.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='443146' date='Feb 20 2007, 12:46 PM']Sure, but given that we do have injuries to Pollack and Thurman (mental injury), if we could sign Thomas who can play DE, LB effectively for another 2 or 3 years...I think our defense would be better off. 9-7 would have gotten us in the playoffs.[/quote]

I hear what your saying however I think Brooks will do that for us, (the Pollack role) and Thurman will be back, (only because were in a bind if he doesnt return with LB being so thin both in FA and the Draft.)

Also Thomas may be franchised.

What we need is a weakside guy as I can see Simmons regressing and Im not really sold on Landon as a starter.

It's clear there is a lot of things over the head of some individuals. Discussing a tagged player from the Colts transforms into Manipulating Cap and Cap Hell discussions.

The Colts have 21 out of 22 starters from the draft. All pro bowl players since 2000 have been produced from the draft.

The Colts have not manipulated the cap to build their team, they have signed key players to extesnions and drafted well enough to fill the holes around the foundation of their pro bowl players. The Colts make the bengals look like Washington in terms of adding starters/pro bowlers from other teams.

Also the cap hell response is not even legit. Colts are not going to enter cap hell or I should say they are not going to be destroyed like some teams from the 90s. Their success is going to be directly tied to how the players they drafted and already extended continue to perform.

Sure they may have a down season when compared to a pretty nice run they've been on and yes it is not as impressive as the Patriots.

I don't see a team that has manipluated the cap. I don't see a team on the road to destruction via cap hell. Maybe if Peyton's arm falls off or something.

They are team that proves successful drafts and keeping those players can lead you to a Superbowl. Much like the Steeler and Patriots.

The Colts have drafted well. They chose to dump their money into their players they drafted. The replaced FA loses with other draft picks.

As it relates to the bengals can their core of foundation players lead the others? Can they draft well enough to fill the holes? I'd say they have done a good enough job to be "paper champions of the AFC North" with an 8-8 record.

The big holes in trying to say the bengals are copying the Colts or whoever. The bengals have something like 13 drafted defensive players from the 4th round or higher under Marvin and a 30th yardage ranked defense. They've lost high draft picks to injury and ignornace. Their key pro bowl players have not performed on the highest of stages when it counts the most.

The Colts failed in the playoffs up until this past post season. Right now the bengals are failing to make the playoffs.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='443151' date='Feb 20 2007, 03:18 PM']I hear what your saying however I think Brooks will do that for us, (the Pollack role) and Thurman will be back, (only because were in a bind if he doesnt return with LB being so thin both in FA and the Draft.)

Also Thomas may be franchised.

What we need is a weakside guy as I can see Simmons regressing and Im not really sold on Landon as a starter.[/quote]

I certainly hope that Brooks will do that for us and that Thurman will be back. And we are in total agreement about Simmons and Landon. Hopefully that will be addressed.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='443146' date='Feb 20 2007, 12:46 PM']Sure, but given that we do have injuries to Pollack and Thurman (mental injury), if we could sign Thomas who can play DE, LB effectively for another 2 or 3 years...I think our defense would be better off. 9-7 would have gotten us in the playoffs.[/quote]

i agree, completely. and a playoff appearance given our issues would have shut a few people up a little. and been grea to see. thomas isnt signing any 3 year deals, and the man is gonna get PAID, he will get a minimum 5 year deal, and the trend seems to be 6 these days, typically never expecting to play or pay for the 6th year as it seems to be contract eye candy, with some crazy base salary of like 9-11 mil, butas you said he will be effective another few years, but will require a contract twice that, thurmans return, pollacks return, jeanty and brooks developement are kind of key to our future right now. i see us tossing another high round pick into that mix..

This from GBNreport.com

(1:00 PM): Franchised DE tied to Colts... Updating the earlier report on Indianapolis DE Dwight Freeney, whom the Colts' franchised yesterday. Thanks to reader Richard M. for the heads up, but Freeney has been tagged as an exclusive rights franchised player which means he can not in fact negotiate with other teams.

I think that's interesting, because guess who has two picks...The Patriots. While they're a 3-4, I'm sure they'd find a spot for him just to have him off the squad of the Colts. Hell they'd probably switch to a 4-3. Could you imagine Seymour and Freeney off the edge with Wilfork and some other fatass like Ty Warren clogging up the middle. Damn son!

Guest Yojimbo

[quote name='GoBengals' post='443134' date='Feb 20 2007, 12:36 PM']like the titans.
then perhaps you should post somewhere else.[/quote]

No, unlike you, my utopia is not a forum full of homers agreeing with one another.

But thanks for making me feel at home. :D

Archived