Your Impressions of tonight

Some good, some bad...

GOOD

Rudi ran well - he looks lighter and quicker to me. Carson looked really sharp. Henry makes it look easy. Had Johnson thrown a better ball (that was intercepted), #15 would have had 2 TDs. Starting OL looked good; Kooistra is a solid backup.

I thought the D-tackles, including Myers, Allen, and Toeina, all look like they can play. Xzavie Jackson will make the PS.

At LB, Hartwell looked pretty decent, and Miller was active. Brooks flashed his speed a few times.

DB - Madieu played well. Ndukwe was very active. White was up and down -- he's physical, though. Wright looks like a good PS candidate.

ST - I thought until the miss at the end, Graham was solid on both placements and kickoffs.
Skyler Green looked good at PR, especially.

QB - Rowe looked really good/poised in the last series

BAD

Doug Johnson was OK - missed several early, then got better as the game progressed

Quincy Wilson -- looked slow to me

Some of the backup OL -- looked sluggish, but they probably won't make the team anyway

Not recovering the onside kick -- both Holley and Muncy had good chances to get it, and blew it. Not good.

Young LBs (Muncy, Everett) and DBs -- looked like some missed coverages, and tackling was very marginal overall.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' post='525351' date='Aug 10 2007, 07:41 AM']I thought the play of the defensive secondary was especially poor...[/quote]

The starters played well.

Everyone is getting bent out of shape about the secondary play.

In the 4th qtr, our secondary consisted of 2 rookie safeties (hence their first NFL game), 2 CB's in who won't make the team (Brandon Williams and TJ Wright), and another safety who was playing CB in Herana-Daze Jones (who also may not make the team, or at least will never see time on defense).

Deltha and Ratliff both played well. Madieu looked very good. Leon Hall looked decent for his first in-game action.

Let's not sweat the play of rookies in their first game and scrubs who won't make the team.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='525359' date='Aug 10 2007, 08:05 AM']The starters played well.
Everyone is getting bent out of shape about the secondary play.
In the 4th qtr, our secondary consisted of 2 rookie safeties (hence their first NFL game), 2 CB's in who won't make the team (Brandon Williams and TJ Wright), and another safety who was playing CB in Herana-Daze Jones (who also may not make the team, or at least will never see time on defense).

Deltha and Ratliff both played well. Madieu looked very good. Leon Hall looked decent for his first in-game action.
Let's not sweat the play of rookies in their first game and scrubs who won't make the team.[/quote]

Fair enough.I take it JoJoe and Kilmer didn't play?Any word on them?

[quote name='schotzee' post='525363' date='Aug 10 2007, 08:17 AM']Fair enough.I take it JoJoe and Kilmer didn't play?Any word on them?[/quote]

I don't remember if JoJoe came back to practice last week but I know that he's running and cutting. I bet he plays against the saints. I haven't heard anything on Kilmer.

Some more insight on the defense. Here are the first half stats, which are the only stats even remotely worthwhile in this game (from a player talent level):

Detroit Lions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Time Recd Time Lost Time Poss How Ball Obtained Drive Began # Play Yds Gain Yds Pen Net Yds 1st Down How
Given Up
1 11:32 8:14 3:18 Kickoff DET 29 6 32 0 32 2 Punt
2 3:09 14:47 3:22 Kickoff DET 24 6 31 0 31 1 Punt
3 13:22 11:20 2:02 Punt DET 16 3 9 0 9 0 Punt
4 10:23 8:39 1:44 Punt DET 17 3 7 -14 -7 0 Punt
5 6:48 6:30 0:18 Kickoff DET 17 1 83 0 83 1 Touchdown
6 2:25 1:44 0:41 Interception DET 2 3 6 -1 5 0 Interception
7 1:08 0:08 1:00 Kickoff DET 20 7 69 0 69 3 Field Goal

The starters forced 3 punts to open the game, gicing up 69 yards.

I haven't seen anyone mention Dan Santucci. That guy stunk from what I saw. He whiffed bad on Langston Moore and after he goes around him, he just turns back around with no regards for the QB. Then he gets called for holding on Brown's 4 yard TD run. He is a 7th rounder so it's not like you expect a lot of of him but he still...he sucked.

[quote name='Memphis_Bengal' post='525386' date='Aug 10 2007, 09:05 AM']I haven't seen anyone mention Dan Santucci. That guy stunk from what I saw. He whiffed bad on Langston Moore and after he goes around him, he just turns back around with no regards for the QB. Then he gets called for holding on Brown's 4 yard TD run. He is a 7th rounder so it's not like you expect a lot of of him but he still...he sucked.[/quote]

yea he had some good and bad plays. I felt like the O-line as a whole didn't play great. The 2nd and 3rd string lines were just awful. Good thing most of them won't make the team. As much as Doug Johnson sucked, he had to rush a few of his throws.

[quote name='Memphis_Bengal' post='525386' date='Aug 10 2007, 09:05 AM']I haven't seen anyone mention Dan Santucci. That guy stunk from what I saw. He whiffed bad on Langston Moore and after he goes around him, he just turns back around with no regards for the QB. Then he gets called for holding on Brown's 4 yard TD run. He is a 7th rounder so it's not like you expect a lot of of him but he still...he sucked.[/quote]

yeah he was pretty bad

I thought the first half looked okay.

Carson and the boys looked sharp.

The line seemed to give Carson time.

Doug Johnson didn't look so hot.

Jeff Rowe looked comfortable at the end of the game.

Duke Nukem had some good plays. Not sure if the blown coverage was his fault, but I can live with a mental mistake in the first preseason game.

I didn't like the 'bend like hell, then break defense to end the game.' I don't see any reason for that brand of defense in the preseason (let alone the regular season).

Again,not seeing the game ,it looks though ,after seeing the stats that 3rd down conversions on O was abysmal.So as was pointed out,there was a lot of players in on the D that probably won't make the team,I understand,but this team has got to improve those 3rd down converts to help the D.

In my opinion there wasn't much at all to write home about, the players we knew would do good, did good(Palmer, Chad, TJ) despite settling for a field goal on both drives.

The players we were hoping to play well, played mediocre at best. Secondary looked non-existant, was expecting more out of Leon Hall, he got burned 2 or 3 times in a row.

-E

I stayed up for the first quarter last night and the thing that stuck out the most to me was the play of the "first team" o-line. Even with 40% of the true starters off and Whitworth at tackle instead of guard, they really looked cohesive. They opened holes and gave Carson time. I realize that this is against a vanilla defense for the most part, but they played well together which was encouraging and it spoke volumes on Ghiaciuc's improvement.

[color="#FF0000"][b]My impressions of last night..........

The offensive line, Whitworth and Ghiaciuc in particular, needs to do a better job at sustaining
their blocks and become more aggressive during run plays.

Even though the starting offense failed to score a TD, they looked sharp.

If Jesus has came back as a NFL quarterback, he's probably Carson Palmer.

Why did Chris Henry have to get into all this trouble? He looked great.

Doug Johnson sucks.

I was impressed with the defensive line all night.......both starters and back-ups.

I was not as impressed with the linebackers.

Marvin White and Duke Nukem are ball hawks, they will get even better with experience. Besides some
plays by those two, the secondary looked shitty.

Chuck Bresnahan sucks.

T.J. Wright made a hell of a block on Toeaina fumble return.

Some of the posters here, behaved like assholes after the game.
[/b][/color]

[quote name='whodey319' post='525407' date='Aug 10 2007, 08:37 AM']my first impression is that preseason football is amazingly boring even when starters play. They should cut this shit down to 2 preseason games and forget it[/quote]

x2

way too much potential for injury in meaningless games. 2 is more than enough for coaches to make decisions on the depth chart and rosters.

Any word on Irons? My fingers are crossed it's just a sprain, or maybe an ACL strain?

[quote name='sneaky' post='525422' date='Aug 10 2007, 10:07 AM'][color="#FF0000"][b]My impressions of last night..........
Some of the posters here, behaved like assholes after the game.
[/b][/color][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

Yeah. Some people need to get a grip. Mistakes were made which is to be expected. Bottom line - our real team is better than theirs. I guess I'll concede that the guys the Lions will cut are better than the guys that we are going to cut.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=125"]Andre Frazier (#57)[/url] yet...the dude directly led to two turnovers (one ended up being a TD, one was wrongly called down in the endzone), so far in camp he's been a turnover causing machine. Remember, he's the guy who caused the Irons fumble in last Friday's game and intercepted a Carson Palmer pass (sure it was right at him, but so far in camp he's been around almost every defensive turnover).

We did OK. The first team offense looked pretty crisp, despite having neither of our starting tackles and their inability to punch it into the endzone. 3rd WR is going to be an issue though, if Irons is out indefinetely, Henry's gone, Tab and C Perry are hurt...hopefully someone will emerge from the quagmire.
Our defense was somewhat shaky. The tackles played well. Brooks and Henderson were just OK. I thought White was disappointing, while Nduwke really showed up to play.
It is our first preseason game, yeah we should have won...I give the Bengals a C+. We were short a lot of key players, many of whom should be back by the season opener...

I just got done watching the 1st half again. The defensive rotations were interesting.

It appeared Geathers got most if not all the snaps at LDE with the starters. Then on passing downs Brob would go in for Peko at LDT. With Meyers coming for JT at RDT. I like what I saw from Meyers. The guy definitely can collapse the pocket and is very active. And Peko just seems to get better and better. I would really like to see Peko/Meyer more on passing downs and see what the two of paired together could do for the pass rush.

The other interesting thing was looking who got the first snap, behind the starters for LBs:

Henderson and Caleb were the first off the bench. I did not see Hartwell at all until the second half. They also had one series after the intentional grounding call against Detroit, where they had both Jeanty and Henderson with their hand on the ground playing LDE and RDE, respectively. If playing time is any indication of players status with the coaches, Henderson appears to be a fav and gives them alot of options. And it was interesting they had him playing WILL sometimes.

At Safety, it appears Ndukwe could be pushing Dexter in the very near future for playing time. He got quite a few reps with the first team.

Rudi looked much slimmer and seemed lighter on his feet, and more explosive hitting the hole.

Our O-Line looked great considering that both our tackles were out.. Whitworth looked rusty.

Where were the LB's? I thought the D-Line did a good job of eating blockers and filling gaps... The LB'ers should have been much more visible. Our safeties made far too many tackles.

Peko is probably the most talented guy on the line. Overall I was impressed with everyone on the D-Line. I thought Fanene looked promising before he left due to cramps. Matt Toe was getting good penetration. The guy seems strong as hell, and with that center of gravity, should be a boulder in the running game.

Despite what I have read from others I thought Ratliff was a huge weakness in our starting secondary. I had hopes that he would be able to put it together in his contract year, but he was geting picked on like a red headed step child last night. Good thing we won't be relying on him to start, considering Hall looked much better.

Doug Johnson is still Doug Johnson (unfortunatley), although Jeff Rowe showed poise beyond his years in that 2 minute drill.. To be honest, that was one of the better performances I havce seen from a Bengal QB not named Carson in several years.. Less than 2 minutes remaining, no timeouts, and he drove down the feild like he was brushing his teeth in the morning. The guy is ugly as hell and is lacking in some physical areas, but you can't teach that mentality, and that's gold in a backup QB.

Our scrubs are scrubs.... And were scrubbier than the Lions scrubs.

Bobbie Williams had the best play of the night (besides Toe's TD) on one of Rudi's carries. He pulled beautifully and single handedly blocked like 4 lions out of the play, and the best part-- HE WAS SMILING EAR TO EAR WHILE DOING IT! Damn! you gotta love that guy!

Irons broke my heart.. He shows so much promise.... I hope he gets a chance to fulfill it.

Brazell and McNeal showed promise. Green was a positive aquisition as far as our ST go, and had a couple nice catches as well.

Fans that get pissed losing a pre season game are lame and don't know football. I would be pissed if I thought our coaches were game planning to win... In pre season you game plan for putting guys in situations to see what they do.. EG - Jeff Rowe in the 2 minute drill was tremendously fortunate development.. That experience alone is worth 10 pre season voctories.

Fans that get bored watching a pre season game are lame and don't know football. I live for this time of year. I think I spent over 4 hours watching the game with all the rewinding and slo-moing. If I had access to the coaches game film I'd proabably spend another 5 looking at that. But I am a hopless football addict, and perhaps I just have the stomache for "boring" things.

We will have to watch the next game before we really get a handle on some of these young guys. That's when some of the nervousness of playing at this level should no longer be a factor.

**EDIT**

OOH! And how could I forget... Duke Nukem was pretty damn impressive.... He seems to have the range of a free safety and the presence of a strong.. Heres to hoping he continues to progress,

I was slightly encouraged instead of being discouraged about the team from the first preseason game. The injury to Irons is the big blow, other than that Lions - 1 QTR 0 points and 4th quarter 17 points pretty much sums it up. Plenty of stuff for the coaches to harp on the up coming week.

Rowe must be one of those guys who can only turn on the player switch when in a game-like situation. From what I hear he looked abysmal in camp.

I think he showed us why they drafted him. The fact he could move the ball downfield without TOs is very impressive.

[quote name='texbengal' post='525358' date='Aug 10 2007, 08:03 AM']BAD

Doug Johnson was OK - missed several early, then got better as the game progressed[/quote]

he only got better as the game progressed because the Lions started putting in more and more scrubs. And Johnson had the luxury of throwing to one of the most talented WR's in the league matched up against a bunch of bums for most of his time in the game.

And Doug still sucked.

[quote name='Lucid' post='525479' date='Aug 10 2007, 11:29 AM']Fans that get pissed losing a pre season game are lame and don't know football. I would be pissed if I thought our coaches were game planning to win... In pre season you game plan for putting guys in situations to see what they do.. EG - Jeff Rowe in the 2 minute drill was tremendously fortunate development.. That experience alone is worth 10 pre season voctories.[/quote]

yea I remember Marvin calling a timeout on defense with like 5 minutes thinking "He must want to see Rowe run a late game drive."

its just pre-season this is just so they can see the young talent they have and who actually makes the team..there was a lot of mistakes...that shouldn't have happened...the pre season will also help them to get to know the other players better on the team

Archived