Donnie henderson

I think we all feel bresh is gonna go this year. And there is buzz of this guy as our DC. Can someone please about this guy and what is his resume like to be a DC. We need an aggressive Coordinator who plays attacking D instead of sitting back there, Someone who actually has a gameplan ( -_- ). We have some athletilically gifted players on D like geathers,Nduwke, brooks,hall,madiue we have to get a guy who can use them in proper manner.

Also how many total picks we have for next year. We have to draft higher if needed. I never expected I would talk about draft so early :doh:

He's been a defensive cord in a couple of different places(Jets, Lions, Ravens) but he's been fired after only one season at all 3 spots. I don't think he's that bad of a coach, and he's obviously being groomed for a spot on the staff, but I think we'd be better served letting him coach the LB's or DL. I've read that Marvin is very close to Emmitt Thomas down in Atl, I wouldn't mind seeing him taking over for Bres. That's actually the scenario I'm hoping plays itself out...

[quote name='spicoli' post='597106' date='Nov 20 2007, 08:08 PM']He's been a defensive cord in a couple of different places(Jets, Lions, Ravens) but he's been fired after only one season at all 3 spots. I don't think he's that bad of a coach, and he's obviously being groomed for a spot on the staff, but I think we'd be better served letting him coach the LB's or DL. I've read that Marvin is very close to Emmitt Thomas down in Atl, I wouldn't mind seeing him taking over for Bres. That's actually the scenario I'm hoping plays itself out...[/quote]

The position coaches have to go along with DC. I think Hunley current LBs coach might get the pass and since marvin knows more about LBs. DL might be the spot for him if he would take it.

This is what I found about emmit thomas in falcons site. Would be an Intresting choice. He is their DBs coach

[i]For the sixth straight season, the Falcons will heavily lean on the expertise of 28-year coaching veteran Emmitt Thomas. A highly-respected and universally-liked NFL "lifer", Thomas' added experience built from a stellar 13-year playing career will bode well for the entire Falcons defense again in 2007.

Since his arrival to Atlanta in 2002, the Falcons rank in the top 10 among all NFL teams for total interceptions with 86.

In 2006, the Falcons were forced to be creative with personnel as cornerbacks battled through injuries during the season. CB DeAngelo Hall continued his high caliber play as the third-year defender posted four interceptions, while allowing less than half the passes thrown his way to be completed, on the way to his second consecutive Pro Bowl and first as a starter. Thomas also made an impact in the successful transition at the safety position as Lawyer Milloy and Chris Crocker joined the team during the offseason and lined up as starters during all 16 games.

In 2005 under Thomas' guidance, the team's passing defense finished 14th in the NFL and improved in key areas from the year before. The defense led the League by allowing an NFL-low 30.2% (58 of 192) of opponents third down conversions. The passing yards per game average and completion percentage were both down from 2004. The Falcons defense was also among the NFL leaders in preventing big pass plays, allowing only 28 passes of 20-plus yards to rank in the top three. The nickel and third down defensive packages were very stingy when opponents attempted to move the chains in 2005. When Atlanta's defense forced its opponents into a third and long situation of 6-plus yards, the team only allowed 14 conversions out of 101 attempts (13.9%), which was the League's best mark. Hall evolved into a Pro Bowler in just his second year with Thomas' help.

The Falcons secondary accounted for three of the five defensive touchdowns scored with interception returns in 2004, which tied for the second-highest total of defensive touchdowns in team history. Hall came on strong after being injured in the first part of his rookie season, returning two interceptions for scores.

In 2002, Thomas' first year guiding the Falcons defensive backs, the Falcons finished tied for third in the NFL with 24 interceptions Also, Atlanta's pass defense improved from 30th in 2001 to 16th in 2002.

Thomas has been a winner in the NFL during his 42-year career as a player and coach. He has captured a total of three Super Bowl rings with two titles coming as an assistant coach and one as a player.

Prior to landing in Atlanta, Thomas served as the Defensive Coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings from 2000-2001. In his first season in Minnesota, Thomas helped the Vikings win the NFC Central crown and advance to the NFC Championship Game. [b]Under his direction, Minnesota's rushing defense finished sixth in the NFC in 2000.[/b]

Thomas' extensive coaching career began at Central Missouri State University, where he coached the secondary from 1979-80, and his NFL coaching career started with the then St. Louis Cardinals in 1981. This product of Angleton, Texas, moved on to the Washington Redskins for nine seasons from 1986-94 as a Wide Receivers Coach and then as a Defensive Backs Coach. [b]His time with the Redskins was marked with five trips to the playoffs, two NFC Championships and victories in Super Bowls XXII and XXVI.[/b]

Thomas joined the Philadelphia Eagles as a Defensive Coordinator for four seasons (1995-98) before taking a similar post with the Green Bay Packers (1999). [b]The Eagles' 1998 defense was ranked No. 1 against the pass and was third in the NFL in sack percentage. His 1996 unit finished fifth in the league overall and his 1995 defense was fourth overall in yards surrendered as the Eagles posted back-to-back 10-6 records and a pair of playoff berths.[/b]

Thomas was a standout defensive back for 13 years with the Kansas City Chiefs (1966-78). He played in 181 NFL games, including Super Bowls I and IV, and was selected to play in five Pro Bowls. Thomas finished his career with 58 interceptions, including one in Super Bowl IV against Minnesota, which is the ninth-most ever in NFL history and he led the League in interceptions twice in a single-season. He is a member of the Chiefs Hall of Fame and his name is etched on the stadium walls at Arrowhead Stadium. A quarterback and receiver at Bishop College in Dallas, he was converted to defensive back as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Chiefs.

Thomas was born June 3, 1943 in Angleton, Texas. He has two grown children, a son, Derek, who is head men's basketball coach at Western Illinois, and a daughter, Dedra, a LVN in Marshall, Texas.

He and his wife, Jacqui, reside in Suwanee, Ga.
[/i]

Im curious how secure John Fox is in Carolina? I'd like to get a head coach that is a defensive guy that gets fired this year that is a bad head coach but good coordinator so we can have a guy to stay around for a while.

Think Ray Rhodes when he went to Denver.

[quote name='cinci1fan1' post='597094' date='Nov 20 2007, 07:37 PM']I think we all feel bresh is gonna go this year. And there is buzz of this guy as our DC. Can someone please about this guy and what is his resume like to be a DC. We need an aggressive Coordinator who plays attacking D instead of sitting back there, Someone who actually has a gameplan ( -_- ). We have some athletilically gifted players on D like geathers,Nduwke, brooks,hall,madiue we have to get a guy who can use them in proper manner.

Also how many total picks we have for next year. We have to draft higher if needed. I never expected I would talk about draft so early :doh:[/quote]

We already had a DC like that--his name was Leslie Frazier and he was let go for being too aggressive. MARVIN is the one that likes the 'Bend Don't Break' philosophy because it (supposedly) doesn't allow big plays.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='597154' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:16 PM']We already had a DC like that--his name was Leslie Frazier and he was let go for being too aggressive. MARVIN is the one that likes the 'Bend Don't Break' philosophy because it (supposedly) doesn't allow big plays.[/quote]

I don't buy it. It totally contradicts everything he did in Balt.

[color="#FF0000"][i][b]Its at a point now, that I really don't care who Bresnahan's replacement will be. Its really
hard to imagine anybody being worse than him. Other than Go's tickets for next year, Bresnahan
has brought me nothing but pain and heartache. :(

I want Hayes, Hunley and Coyle out of here too.[/b][/i][/color]

[quote name='spicoli' post='597166' date='Nov 20 2007, 10:36 PM']I don't buy it. It totally contradicts everything he did in Balt.[/quote]

It doesn't contradict a single thing he did in Baltimore. They ran the exact same style of defense. The only difference was he had numerous great players on that Ravens D. You can line up man to man every single play and if your 11 are better than there 11 you are going to win a good majority of the time.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='597146' date='Nov 20 2007, 07:02 PM']Im curious how secure John Fox is in Carolina? I'd like to get a head coach that is a defensive guy that gets fired this year that is a bad head coach but good coordinator so we can have a guy to stay around for a while.

Think Ray Rhodes when he went to Denver.[/quote]

From what I've heard (and like you guys, from what I understand, Carolina is a very hard organization to get behind-the-scenes info on), Fox will get at least a pass for one more year, given that our starting qb is on IR and our remainder qb situation is pretty much The Crypt Keeper and Adam Sandler's character from the Water Boy meets John Edwards...

But while I don't think much of his game-managing decisions or the most of the drafts he's been involved with, what he's best at apparently is coaching up linebackers and defensive backs, so he might fit in well with Cincy's defensive needs.

Like Marvin, however, he doesn't seem to believe much in changing strategy to fit the opponent or rushing anything other than the defensive line, so DC would probably be all you could hope for out of him.

Which is unfortunate, because at one point, I had hope he could be a great coach, and I hoped he'd be able to learn from his mistakes, but he seems to be content to rely on his past accomplishments, such as they are.

When Henderson first came to the Jets, he had them playing very good defense. Not sure what happened there (well, Mangini came in and brought his own guys). I'd read somewhere that Henderson had some personal issues. He's an enthusiastic guy who has a pretty aggressive scheme, as I recall.

I think Coyle is a good teacher; he and Cioffi are the lone holdovers from the pre-ML regime on defense. Hunley's had some bad luck, but you can have Jay Hayes. I've never been impressed with the D-line.

Some other possible DCs to consider are:

Dave Campo (used to be DC in Dallas before he got elevated to HC). Very enthusiastic guy that knows defense. Has been around the AFC lately, with Cleveland and Jax. Has been a DB coach - that's where he got started in Dallas.

Clancy Pendergast - currently DC in Arizona was an assistant in Dallas and I believe Cleveland. Not sure he'd come here, given he's already a DC, but he's an excellent young coach.

Emmitt Thomas (previously mentioned)

Jim Bates, Denver. Really like him - an old guy who has been successful in a lot of places. Denver's not had a good year, but they've been hit pretty hard w/injuries.

A possible position coach I'd like to see considered is Ron English, the DC at Michigan. No, they didn't have a strong D this past year, but they lost a lot of guys. A lot of his players coming into the NFL seem to be well-coached. Leon Hall, David Harris, and LaMarr Woodley have all come in this year and have made an impact.

[quote name='CarsonDaMan' post='597179' date='Nov 20 2007, 10:44 PM']It doesn't contradict a single thing he did in Baltimore. They ran the exact same style of defense. The only difference was he had numerous great players on that Ravens D. You can line up man to man every single play and if your 11 are better than there 11 you are going to win a good majority of the time.[/quote]

agreed. The fault I find with it is that we don't have 11 better guys, and we haven't adjusted. I think Marvin was really relying on Brooks, Thurman, and Pollack (I don't mean specifically this year) in rebuilding this defense, and now that all 3 are missing, we are kind of in limbo.

[quote name='texbengal' post='597229' date='Nov 21 2007, 07:23 AM']When Henderson first came to the Jets, he had them playing very good defense. Not sure what happened there (well, Mangini came in and brought his own guys). I'd read somewhere that Henderson had some personal issues. He's an enthusiastic guy who has a pretty aggressive scheme, as I recall.

I think Coyle is a good teacher; he and Cioffi are the lone holdovers from the pre-ML regime on defense. Hunley's had some bad luck, but you can have Jay Hayes. I've never been impressed with the D-line.

Dave Campo (used to be DC in Dallas before he got elevated to HC). Very enthusiastic guy that knows defense. Has been around the AFC lately, with Cleveland and Jax. Has been a DB coach - that's where he got started in Dallas.

Clancy Pendergast - currently DC in Arizona was an assistant in Dallas and I believe Cleveland. Not sure he'd come here, given he's already a DC, but he's an excellent young coach.

Jim Bates, Denver. Really like him - an old guy who has been successful in a lot of places. Denver's not had a good year, but they've been hit pretty hard w/injuries.

A possible position coach I'd like to see considered is Ron English, the DC at Michigan. No, they didn't have a strong D this past year, but they lost a lot of guys. A lot of his players coming into the NFL seem to be well-coached. Leon Hall, David Harris, and LaMarr Woodley have all come in this year and have made an impact.[/quote]
[b]Fantastic post as always Tex...I have some inside info on Donnie Henderson. He is a good coach but definitely does have some personal problems the main one being that he hits the bottle way too much. A very good friend of mine whom I grew up with was the assistant defesive line coach for the Jets during Henderson's time there. My buudy has coached since he was 17 at various levels. He also was a scout for various teams. One of the reasons my buddy left the Jets was because of Henderson. He could not deal with him saying that his drinking really was out of control. Anyway I would like to see Emmitt Thomas hired as our DC..[/b]

Guys I'd like

Thomas from Atlanta

Jim Bates, done a good job where he's been.

Rivera would be a possibility given that it would be a step up from his current position to become DC again.
Mark Duffner - co-ordinated some solid D's when he was here earlier. Has done a very good job since leaving with LB's in Green Bay and then Jacksonville afterwards. Dunno if he would come back, given he was almost made head coach here, but deferred to Lebeau, but overall, MB does like hiring Bengals alumni, and I think he'd be interested.

Brick Haley - Chicago Bears DL Coach. Haley has the Bears Dline playing like men possessed. It's one of the areas we need help in. However, his NFL experience is limited, only 1 year, and 3 years before that at Mississippi State. So maybe too early to make the move to DC. But he's a name to watch imo.

I don't see the likes of Rex or Rob Ryan coming here to be DC. They are lining themselves up for HC jobs.

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='597273' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:24 AM']Has there been any hints from ML or The Bald One...that would indicate [b]any[/b] changes in the defensive coaching staff will be done after the season?

Common logic would say it's a no-brainer...but we have rarely seen common logic around here.[/quote]

besides the fact that I'm sure Marvin knows next year is his last chance to turn around the defense, all of the defensive coach's contracts are up after this year.

[quote name='GregRBurch' post='597198' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:39 PM']From what I've heard (and like you guys, from what I understand, Carolina is a very hard organization to get behind-the-scenes info on), Fox will get at least a pass for one more year, given that our starting qb is on IR and our remainder qb situation is pretty much The Crypt Keeper and Adam Sandler's character from the Water Boy meets John Edwards...

But while I don't think much of his game-managing decisions or the most of the drafts he's been involved with, what he's best at apparently is coaching up linebackers and defensive backs, so he might fit in well with Cincy's defensive needs.

Like Marvin, however, he doesn't seem to believe much in changing strategy to fit the opponent or rushing anything other than the defensive line, so DC would probably be all you could hope for out of him.

Which is unfortunate, because at one point, I had hope he could be a great coach, and I hoped he'd be able to learn from his mistakes, but he seems to be content to rely on his past accomplishments, such as they are.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

[quote name='texbengal' post='597229' date='Nov 21 2007, 07:23 AM']When Henderson first came to the Jets, he had them playing very good defense. Not sure what happened there (well, Mangini came in and brought his own guys). I'd read somewhere that Henderson had some personal issues. He's an enthusiastic guy who has a pretty aggressive scheme, as I recall.

A possible position coach I'd like to see considered is Ron English, the DC at Michigan. No, they didn't have a strong D this past year, but they lost a lot of guys. A lot of his players coming into the NFL seem to be well-coached. Leon Hall, David Harris, and LaMarr Woodley have all come in this year and have made an impact.[/quote]

I beleive it was posted before that Henderson had the 2nd ranked pass D with the Jets, but the 25th ranked run D. Which makes me wonder, was his pass D so good because anyone could run on him?

Im a Jim Bates fan as well, been wanting him since Saban was highered in Miami.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='597288' date='Nov 21 2007, 10:02 AM']I've heard the same thing about Henderson's affinity for the bottle, and watching this defense this year certainly couldn't be an asset in any hopes of sobriety.[/quote]

Maybe he can Be Odell's sponser. :ninja:

Read some articles with high praise for Henderson..
Players relate and play hard for him..
He'll love them one moment and chew their ass out the next.. ( Cowher?)
He's very passionate and its all fire and brimstone with him..
Drinks too much?? dont really know..never read where it was a concern of a team he was on.

Archived