Bengals biggest weakness ?

Aside from ownership and coaching, our biggest weakness is D-line, as attested by our sack totals the past 2 weeks against teams that give up sacks by the bushel. I think the only thing our O-line is lacking is cohesion. I believe that this offensive line given time together, and a little bit of injury luck, could be one of the best in the league. And that's without Willie.

[quote name='Jason' post='607170' date='Dec 10 2007, 06:25 PM']Aside from ownership and coaching, our biggest weakness is D-line, as attested by our sack totals the past 2 weeks against teams that give up sacks by the bushel. I think the only thing our O-line is lacking is cohesion. I believe that this offensive line given time together, and a little bit of injury luck, could be one of the best in the league. And that's without Willie.[/quote]

well said. It really is surprising that the defense has played so well in the past 5 games considering the lack of a pass rush.

[quote name='Jason' post='607170' date='Dec 10 2007, 06:25 PM']Aside from ownership and coaching, our biggest weakness is D-line, as attested by our sack totals the past 2 weeks against teams that give up sacks by the bushel. I think the only thing our O-line is lacking is cohesion. I believe that this offensive line given time together, and a little bit of injury luck, could be one of the best in the league. And that's without Willie.[/quote]

The OL is not the problem, it is definitely the DL as you said. JUGhead and Thronton need to hit the BRICKS! Our DL could not even get past a depleted Rams OL and everyone has been blowing by these guys. Very good DL coming out this year from College. ML don't be stupid and not address this issue. I can't believe ML and MFB are entertaining wanting to keep JUGhead. What a joke!

the running game . we have not had a good running game in over 2 years. we were 26th in rushing last year and about the same this year. carson is on pace to have over 600 pass attempts this season. if we had a top 10 rushing attack we would have at least 5 more wins this season.

[quote name='maanster' post='607259' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:03 PM']the running game . we have not had a good running game in over 2 years. we were 26th in rushing last year and about the same this year. carson is on pace to have over 600 pass attempts this season. if we had a top 10 rushing attack we would have at least 5 more wins this season.[/quote]

5? That's lofty 2-3, more realistic. Seattle, Cleveland, New England, and at least one of the pissburgh games are probably still losses with a good rushing game. JMO though.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='607161' date='Dec 10 2007, 06:03 PM']Biggest weakness on this team is putting pressure on opposing quarterbacks.
Thats why the majority of them look good against the Bengals.
I dont care where the pressure comes from be it DT, DE or linebacker but they have to
get a couple more players that excell in that area..
It makes the whole units job easier.[/quote]

ding ding ding

Run D and Pass rush as been a problem for a while, we at least can stop a RB from time to time, unless the opposing team has a backup QB holding on to the ball too long or a backup linemen just sucking, we dont get much of a passrush.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='607279' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:29 PM']ding ding ding

Run D and Pass rush as been a problem for a while, we at least can stop a RB from time to time, unless the opposing team has a backup QB holding on to the ball too long or a backup linemen just sucking, we dont get much of a passrush.[/quote]

agreed. That's why our secondary looks so deplorable because the oppsoing QB has all day to let someone get open. I'm completely disgusted with JS. If he's playing his ass off for a new contract either here or for another team, he has failed miserably.........he wont even come close to top 5 DE money next year.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='607279' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:29 PM']ding ding ding

Run D and Pass rush as been a problem for a while, we at least can stop a RB from time to time, unless the opposing team has a backup QB holding on to the ball too long or a backup linemen just sucking, we dont get much of a passrush.[/quote]
the defense isnt even the biggest issue on this team so u cant say ding ding ding or you are a ding a ling.

the biggest issue on this team is the shitty fuckin offense, especially in the redzone. our offense improving increases our score AND time of possession which makes our D even better than it has played. too bad our C blows ass and kills us.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='607290' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:05 PM']the defense isnt even the biggest issue on this team so u cant say ding ding ding or you are a ding a ling.

the biggest issue on this team is the shitty fuckin offense, especially in the redzone. our offense improving increases our score AND time of possession which makes our D even better than it has played. too bad our C blows ass and kills us.[/quote]

The O does need tweaking yes, the D needs more than that.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='607290' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:05 PM']the defense isnt even the biggest issue on this team so u cant say ding ding ding or you are a ding a ling.

the biggest issue on this team is the shitty fuckin offense, especially in the redzone. our offense improving increases our score AND time of possession which makes our D even better than it has played. too bad our C blows ass and kills us.[/quote]

over the last 5 years the problem has been the D. The O has a bad stretch and you want to put it on them??

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='607293' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:07 PM']The O does need tweaking yes, the D needs more than that.[/quote]
the O has the biggest need and is the biggest weakness. if u have watched the games this year that is OBVIOUS. the D doesnt need much tweaking, they just need some health.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' post='607294' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:08 PM']over the last 5 years the problem has been the D. The O has a bad stretch and you want to put it on them??[/quote]
when the bad stretch is pretty much the entire fucking season. yep.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='607296' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:10 PM']the O has the biggest need and is the biggest weakness. if u have watched the games this year that is OBVIOUS. the D doesnt need much tweaking, they just need some health.

when the bad stretch is pretty much the entire fucking season. yep.[/quote]

hasn't been the entire season. Have they underachieved? yes. Have they had some poor performances yes....and can always get better but to say that the biggest problem is the O and not the D is crazy.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' post='607287' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:03 PM']agreed. That's why our secondary looks so deplorable because the oppsoing QB has all day to let someone get open. I'm completely disgusted with JS. If he's playing his ass off for a new contract either here or for another team, he has failed miserably.........he wont even come close to top 5 DE money next year.[/quote]
Yeah, Justin is underwhelming for sure. As is our entire D-Line, let's be honest here. We need to draft/acquire a game-changing DE as a first priority. We simply cannot wish away our defensive problems because of suspension and injuries, and even though our dline has been exempt from bad behavior from individual players, it doesn't mean that they aren't decidedly average at best.
I look for Kilmer to come back and grab a starting safety spot.
I look for Justin Smith to be replaced by a current player or a high draft pick.
DJax is a leader and not a player....he's the Kitna of the defense!
I guess it's too easy to pick apart this team in the midst of an underachieving year, so I guess I need to stop.
There's plenty of blame to go around anyway.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='607296' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:10 PM']the O has the biggest need and is the biggest weakness. if u have watched the games this year that is OBVIOUS. the D doesnt need much tweaking, they just need some health.

when the bad stretch is pretty much the entire fucking season. yep.[/quote]

whats obvious is that we are currently the #6 ranked O and the #26 ranked D.

Does that mean the O doesnt need improvement? No, but not as much as the D.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='607299' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:28 PM']Yeah, Justin is underwhelming for sure. As is our entire D-Line, let's be honest here. We need to draft/acquire a game-changing DE as a first priority. We simply cannot wish away our defensive problems because of suspension and injuries, and even though our dline has been exempt from bad behavior from individual players, it doesn't mean that they aren't decidedly average at best.
I look for Kilmer to come back and grab a starting safety spot.
I look for Justin Smith to be replaced by a current player or a high draft pick.
DJax is a leader and not a player....he's the Kitna of the defense!
I guess it's too easy to pick apart this team in the midst of an underachieving year, so I guess I need to stop.
There's plenty of blame to go around anyway.[/quote]
Testify, Bunghole.......

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='607301' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:33 PM']whats obvious is that we are currently the #6 ranked O and the #26 ranked D.

Does that mean the O doesnt need improvement? No, but not as much as the D.[/quote]
Points are what win games.

We are tied for 17th in the NFL with the defense giving up 294 points, 22.6 a game if you subtract the special teams TD and carsons 21 points in gifts from the defense. If you subtract the other INT Carson threw to the Cards setting up that NEAR defensive TD then we are 16th in the NFL. That is without our LBs which are key to this defense.

Take away our 4 special teams/defensive TDs and our offense has scored 282 points which would be good for 21.69 a game and 17th in the NFL. And they are healthier than the defense. And they are paid way more money than the defense.

I have looked EVERYWHERE for redzone statistics and i cant find them. Our offense is HORRID in the redzone and probably has left at least 24 points on the board in the redzone and thats a low estimation.

How many times has Carson or the offense turned the ball over and given the opposing team an extremely short field? Way way way way too many times. How many times has our defense created a turnover, given our team good field position and we dont do shit with it? Way way way way too many times. We are somehow +4 in the turnover battle even though our offense seems to turn the ball over in key situations all the time. The Defense has been really injured, changing every week and yet they still have kept us in every game but the Browns and Patriots games (and we were in this game at halftime, if the offense didnt throw the pick before halftime and then come out after the half and blow ass as well). How many times has our offense been put 3 and out? We constantly give our defense no time to rest. The offense has been the biggest weakness this year. The offense is also paid way more than the defense, so they defense should rarely if ever have to carry this team, but it seems like week in and week out they are the better half.

[quote name='Patmo' post='607040' date='Dec 10 2007, 01:46 PM']Right now I think it's the O Line.Willie (a hall of famer,imo) can no longer perform up to his old standard.Levi is not the Levi of '05 due to injuries. Gauichic (sp) is not strong enough for the C position .Whit and Stacey are good young players but I question if they'll ever reach the level of Levi and Willie at their peak performances.In short,our O Line has deteriorated over the '07 season.As a result Carson's performance is suffering. His sack total might not be high but I'd like to see his passes under pressure stat.Imo,he's not the same QB as a result .

Unfortunately,management has signed big long term deals with Levi and Willie.That is going to hurt in the long run.I never did understand them signing Willie to a deal last year.Loyalty would be my guess.
Regardless,they've got 75 million tied up in two tackles who's performance is failing.Do they have depth to overcome the problem ? No.[/quote]

I completely agree on how the line has impacted Carson's play. I do think there's a bigger weakness on the team. Complacency...

Archived