This is the kind of thing that kills me about my Bengals

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='618891' date='Jan 4 2008, 03:37 PM']Question that should be posed then is: If a certain group of people have accepted the deficiencies of Mike Brown and the organization, then why do they continue to argue with the ones venting about it?

The utter opposition to anyone who blames Mike Brown, poor scouting...etc..etc...etc.. only makes stronger the belief that certain people on this board are either A. Blind homers, or B. Mike Brown appologists.

If it is apparent to you that Mike Brown/Scouting/FO is what the problem is then why do you even get involved in these threads? I have never seen so many people argue with points they agree with.[/quote]

I was stating a logical explanation on what is.....

I get frustrated too.....when in reality I can do nothing to change what is...

Bottom line is

Brown family/organization........"They are who we thought they are"" :D

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='618891' date='Jan 4 2008, 03:37 PM']The utter opposition to anyone who blames Mike Brown, poor scouting...etc..etc...etc.. only makes stronger the belief that certain people on this board are either A. Blind homers, or B. Mike Brown appologists.[/quote]

Or C, just tired of having to read the bitching over and over and over.

What you call the "utter opposition" is more like people who actually agree with much of what you're saying, but just want you to give it a fucking rest once in a while.

You ever work with someone who just bitched non-stop? Even if you agreed with what they're bitching about, don't you just want to tell them to shut the fuck up?

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='619084' date='Jan 5 2008, 12:38 AM']I heard an interesting fact on the radio this week.

Who are the Super Bowl champs ? Colts

Guess how many starters on the Colts squad have only played for the Colts ?

All 22.[/quote]

very interesting indeed.

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='619084' date='Jan 5 2008, 12:38 AM']I heard an interesting fact on the radio this week.

All 22.[/quote]
I'm sure all of them played for a college and high school team... perhaps even on other teams before that. Your source is full of shit. Give me a link.

:contract:

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='619102' date='Jan 5 2008, 02:26 AM']Or C, just tired of having to read the bitching over and over and over.

What you call the "utter opposition" is more like people who actually agree with much of what you're saying, but just want you to give it a fucking rest once in a while.

You ever work with someone who just bitched non-stop? Even if you agreed with what they're bitching about, don't you just want to tell them to shut the fuck up?[/quote]

But here you have the option of not reading it, right?

[quote name='Tigris' post='619106' date='Jan 5 2008, 02:57 AM']I'm sure all of them played for a college and high school team... perhaps even on other teams before that. Your source is full of shit. Give me a link.

:contract:[/quote]

Just look at their starting lineup... none of them are Free Agent pick-ups, which is the point of his post. they were all either drafted by the colts or signed as undrafted free agents.

All 22.[/quote]

damn.

[quote name='Tigris' post='619106' date='Jan 5 2008, 02:57 AM']I'm sure all of them played for a college and high school team... perhaps even on other teams before that. Your source is full of shit. Give me a link.

:contract:[/quote]

are you on crack, being serious, or really just didn't understand his post?

All 22.[/quote]

You can pull this off if you have a good front office.

1. How many scouts do they have?
2. How many front office personnel do they have?
3. Do they have a competent GM?

BTW Adam Vinatieri was drafted by the Patriots and was signed to one of the largest FA contracts ever signed by a kicker.

I am still looking for others from last year on the roster.

Anthony "Booger" McFarland was traded to the Colts mid year last year and started all of the playoffs and the Super Bowl.
Montae Reagor started next to McFarland and was drafted by Denver in 1999 and signed by the Colts as a free agent in 2003
C Jeff Saturday was signed by Baltimore in 1998 as a College Free Agent and then signed off waivers from the Ravens in 1999

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='619102' date='Jan 5 2008, 02:26 AM']Or C, just tired of having to read the bitching over and over and over.

You ever work with someone who just bitched non-stop? Even if you agreed with what they're bitching about, don't you just want to tell them to shut the fuck up?[/quote]

Or D, wondering if these "realists" are truely keeping it real or of they honestly believe the have the power to change a owner that hasnt changed in all of his years...if they do believe that then Im of the opinion they are more homeristic than the homers they hate. Meaning to be a homer you have to be blind to what the issues are, well are they blind that brown hasnt changed no matter what the level of bitching is? Because to continue to do so means without recgonizition that they are powerless to force his hand makes me belive they are.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='619145' date='Jan 5 2008, 10:31 AM']Or D, wondering if these "realists" are truely keeping it real or of they honestly believe the have the power to change a owner that hasnt changed in all of his years...if they do believe that then Im of the opinion they are more homeristic than the homers they hate. Meaning to be a homer you have to be blind to what the issues are, well are they blind that brown hasnt changed no matter what the level of bitching is? Because to continue to do so means without recgonizition that they are powerless to force his hand makes me belive they are.[/quote]

OR E... just so frustrated that the old bastard hasn't kicked the can yet that they want to eat barbwire and piss napalm.... and they can't change allegiance because it's in their blood.
The thing that irks me the most is that in any job that I've had, if my performance were the same as his... I'd not have a job.
He says that he has to answer to the fans, but obviously he doesn't.
Oh to be rich and not have anyone to answer too!

[quote][b]Given a choice why would anyone choose the Bengals?[/b][/quote]

This is the bottom line and one of the main ways that Mike Brown handicaps his own franchise.

The bare minimum on non-cap related expenditures, coupled with rampant nepotism, continues to be the root of continued ineptitude within this organization.

[i]"Things seem to have changed around these parts. ...then again they kinda seem the same now don't they." :rolleyes: -WB[/i]

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='619157' date='Jan 5 2008, 11:16 AM']OR E... just so frustrated that the old bastard hasn't kicked the can yet that they want to eat barbwire and piss napalm.... and they can't change allegiance because it's in their blood.
The thing that irks me the most is that in any job that I've had, if my performance were the same as his... I'd not have a job.
He says that he has to answer to the fans, but obviously he doesn't.
Oh to be rich and not have anyone to answer too![/quote]

Hopefully Katie and Troy will be different.

At least Mike Brown doesn't say that kind of crap to the media anymore.

Read that article. Now is nothing like the 1990s, the more I think about it.

For anyone paying attention in the 1990s, you'll remember quotes like this from Brown all the time. It was accepted that of course Mike wouldn't spend up to the cap level. Spinney field, the whole package. We were a joke to free agents and a nightmare to college kids waiting to be drafted. At the time of this aricle, the Bengals were probably at the lowest point in franchise history. 0-9 in the middle of a season where any fan paying attention knew that Mike Brown had tanked this season before it even began.

And then there was of course all the non-cap related thriftiness, which was actually much much worse then his cap-related thriftiness at the time.

For one reason or another, at least Mike Brown sort of tries to win now. Of course, winning is still not top priority here, and it never will be. I see no reason why Katie and Company would suddenly put winning above profit margin. But at least now there is an opportunity, however slim, to catch lightning in a bottle and make a playoff run every so often.

Back then it was completely, utterly hopeless to anyone even remotely paying attention. At least they have a snowball's chance in hell now, despite Mike Brown's continued handicaps.

And a snowball is better than a puddle of water, I guess.

You seem absolutely full of wisdom lately...What gives? :P

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='619605' date='Jan 6 2008, 10:13 AM']For one reason or another, at least Mike Brown sort of tries to win now. Of course, winning is still not top priority here, and it never will be. I see no reason why Katie and Company would suddenly put winning above profit margin. But at least now there is an opportunity, however slim, to catch lightning in a bottle and make a playoff run every so often.

Back then it was completely, utterly hopeless to anyone even remotely paying attention. At least they have a snowball's chance in hell now, despite Mike Brown's continued handicaps.

And a snowball is better than a puddle of water, I guess.[/quote]

Well...This is refreshing from you.

For those of us who might be considered 'homers', this is really the recognition that we are looking for.

I think it is pretty obvious that the Bengals are not the best-run team in the league, and it doesn't look like they will be any time in the near future.

That having been said - and putting the results of this season in context - their ability to keep/re-sign their own talent, and an obvious improvement in drafting (look no further than a guy like Ndukwe) means that there is room for hope.

If things were still being run per the timeline of that article, no one here would be arguing with you at all...And this site probably wouldn't exist.

BZ

Archived