Would you be happy if McFadden slipped to #9....

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='621576' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:13 PM']If true, I stand corrected. Where'd you find a published 40 time for Wells, I've yet to find one.[/quote]
Here's a link of a scouting report when he was coming out of high school. They must have some kind of combine for the prospects or something. He's listed as running a 4.51 40, at 230 pounds. Speed isn't his game though, he's a power back, but he can still break away as seen by the LSU game.

[url="http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1339455"]Linkage[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='621576' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:13 PM']If true, I stand corrected. Where'd you find a published 40 time for Wells, I've yet to find one.[/quote]
I had to search for it about 8 different ways to finally get an established time. I don't even remember which search string I put in now to even get it.

One had it at 4.5, and another had it 4.55.

I thought it odd, though, that you can readily find 40 times on these other guys but can't for Wells.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='621579' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:20 PM']I had to search for it about 8 different ways to finally get an established time. I don't even remember which search string I put in now to even get it.

One had it at 4.5, and another had it 4.55.

[b]I thought it odd, though, that you can readily find 40 times on these other guys but can't for Wells.[/b][/quote]

well, Wells is only a sophomore. I'm sure he hasn't run at a an OSU Pro Day yet. Most of the published times come from pro days.

I don't care what his numbers are, when I watch Wells run, he doesn't have the elite speed that McFadden and Bush have..........it's pretty apparent too see

Watch the long run vs LSU again, he's running away from a safety in Steltz and Steltz starts to catch up to him towards the goal line.......would this have happened with Bush or McFadden? Hell no. Wells is a damn good back though but come on with the Paul Bunyanisation of him.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='621077' date='Jan 10 2008, 12:14 PM']:lol: I don't know about that......he's bulkier but McFadden has Adrien Peterson speed. Wells is fast and was able to run away from LSU's Craig Steltz, but Steltz is a safety and almost caught him towards the endzone.[/quote]

I like Beanie Wells, but take off the OSU goggles, will you? NO WAY he's as good as McFadden, or as fast.

Steltz has been timed in the hi 4.5, low 4.6 range. If he can catch Beanie, that's not a compliment.

[quote name='texbengal' post='621659' date='Jan 11 2008, 05:59 PM']I like Beanie Wells, but take off the OSU goggles, will you? NO WAY he's as good as McFadden, or as fast.

Steltz has been timed in the hi 4.5, low 4.6 range. If he can catch Beanie, that's not a compliment.[/quote]
He didn't catch him though, remember?

Remember the play where Wells stiff armed the corner (#21 Chevis Jackson) like a bitch and gained a bunch of extra yards on the play? McFadden and Mendenhall would have been run out of bounds.

The point is you can't compare the players. Wells is more of a power back, McFadden and Mendenhall are speed backs.

[quote][size=5][b]Sources: Arkansas' McFadden to declare for NFL draft[/b][/size]
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Updated: January 12, 2008, 3:39 AM ET

Tailback Darren McFadden, the University of Arkansas star runner who finished as the Heisman Trophy runner-up in each of the past two seasons, will forego his final season of college eligibility and enter the 2008 NFL draft, ESPN.com has learned.

Multiple sources said McFadden's father, Graylon McFadden, dispatched the appropriate paperwork to the NFL office early this week. The decision by one of the college game's most electrifying performers to leave school a year early and pursue a professional career was hardly unexpected.

League and team officials, by policy, are precluded from commenting on underclass players who have petitioned for early draft entry until after the deadline for doing so has passed. The deadline is Jan. 15, and the NFL will release a full list of underclass prospects after that.

While it is still early in the evaluation process for the April 26-27 draft, many league scouts feel that McFadden could be the most talented prospect in the player pool.

The Miami Dolphins own the top overall selection, but given the franchise's many needs, they could trade the choice for additional picks. Where McFadden is chosen could depend on the respective needs of the franchises choosing in the very early stages of the first round, [b]but he is expected to be a top five pick.[/b]

McFadden, 20, appeared in 30 games for the Razorbacks in three seasons, and carried 785 times for 4,590 yards and 41 touchdowns. He also had 46 receptions for 365 yards and two touchdowns. In each of the last two seasons, McFadden rushed for over 1,600 yards. He rushed for 1,830 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2007.

The North Little Rock, Ark., native holds the school record for single-season and career rushing yards. A three-time All-American, McFadden won the Doak Walker Award as the country's top running back for both 2006 and 2007.

Citing league rules that prohibit discussing underclass prospects before the NFL deems them officially eligible for the draft, scouts contacted late Friday night declined to comment for attribution about McFadden's potential draft status. But the feeling is that McFadden could produce the same kind of immediate impact in the league that Minnesota Vikings first-round pick Adrian Peterson did this season.

Peterson last week was chosen as the league's 2007 offensive rookie of the year.

Some scouts, however, did note that teams interested in choosing McFadden will investigate an early Thursday incident in which he was briefly handcuffed and then released following a disturbance outside of a Little Rock piano bar that was described by a police spokesperson as "a pretty rowdy scene."

No charges have been filed against McFadden. His mother, Mini Muhammad, said that her son was protecting his younger brother, Daryl, in the fracas.

Late in the season, a local television station reported that sports agent Mike Conley, a former track and field star, had arranged for McFadden to purchase a Cadillac Escalade. The station subsequently backed off the report, and McFadden termed the story "uncalled for."

Conley is not certified to represent NFL Players, the NFL Players Association confirmed for ESPN.com on Friday. The players union is the body which accredits agents and Conley, who applied for certification last year, apparently did not meet the requirements. Conley cannot become certified before the draft.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3192816&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news...ce=NFLHeadlines[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='621881' date='Jan 12 2008, 09:45 AM'][url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3192816&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news...ce=NFLHeadlines[/url][/quote]

yeah, also saw where gholston declared today, as well.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='621822' date='Jan 11 2008, 11:40 PM']He didn't catch him though, remember?

Remember the play where Wells stiff armed the corner (#21 Chevis Jackson) like a bitch and gained a bunch of extra yards on the play? McFadden and Mendenhall would have been run out of bounds.

The point is you can't compare the players. Wells is more of a power back, McFadden and Mendenhall are speed backs.[/quote]

We'll agree to disagree. I was only responding to comments that Beanie was as good as McFadden. And while I think Wells is a fine player with an NFL career in front of him, I don't think he's on par with McFadden... or even close.

McFadden is more of a speed back, yes, but he's plenty physical, and he's not a small guy. And of course, you know that both Mendenhall and McFadden would have been run OOB. ;)

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620804' date='Jan 9 2008, 04:09 PM']he let it known that he wanted Anthony Fasano 2 years ago. [b]There was another (who's name escapes me) that we were after.[/b]

IMO, Marvin wants a pass catching TE, he's just not going to reach for one or trade up for one. This trade would allow us to get a stud TE. Plus, I still think the playbook is going to get "blown up" of sorts on offense, with that possibly meaning more use of the TE's.[/quote]

I remember now, it was Marcedes Lewis, but he didn't slot out to where we picked. We picked too high in the first to take him, and he was well gone by our 2nd.

[quote name='texbengal' post='622009' date='Jan 12 2008, 08:06 PM']We'll agree to disagree. I was only responding to comments that Beanie was as good as McFadden. And while I think Wells is a fine player with an NFL career in front of him, I don't think he's on par with McFadden...[b]or even close[/b].[/quote]

I guarantee that you'll be eating crow on that stupid comment when the draft comes around next year.

I'll tell ya right now that 3 things are gonna happen with Beanie...

1. He'll have better workout numbers during his pro-day than McFadden does with his. He'll be bigger, stronger, just as fast and just as agile.

2. He'll have a higher draft rating than McFadden will end up with

3. He'll get picked higher than McFadden does...unless of course McFadden goes #1, which I doubt

People trying to knock his speed need to realize that he played the entire season on a bad ankle that requires off-season surgery. The only things that could derail Beanie is injury, otherwise, he's going to dominate. Guaranteed.

[quote name='spicoli' post='622044' date='Jan 12 2008, 10:00 PM']I guarantee that you'll be eating crow on that stupid comment when the draft comes around next year.

I'll tell ya right now that 3 things are gonna happen with Beanie...

1. He'll have better workout numbers during his pro-day than McFadden does with his. He'll be bigger, stronger, just as fast and just as agile.

2. He'll have a higher draft rating than McFadden will end up with

3. He'll get picked higher than McFadden does...unless of course McFadden goes #1, which I doubt

People trying to knock his speed need to realize that he played the entire season on a bad ankle that requires off-season surgery. The only things that could derail Beanie is injury, otherwise, he's going to dominate. Guaranteed.[/quote]

Sounds good, OSU homer! I'll be sure to remember that.

BTW, I'm sure Beanie will weigh more, if that's what you mean. That guarantee I'll give you. Faster? No f'n way. And BTW, McFadden's listed at 6-2, and Beanie's 6-1. If true (and press guides notoriously lie), you've already lost your guarantee.

As for the draft rating, if you're doing the rating, I'm sure you're right. And FWIW, I put absolutely no stock in Pro Day numbers, since that's homers timing their own. Such objectivity!

[quote name='texbengal' post='622108' date='Jan 13 2008, 08:42 AM']And FWIW, I put absolutely no stock in Pro Day numbers, since that's homers timing their own. Such objectivity![/quote]

oh, well, how convenient. might as well throw Mcfaddens numbers out the window too then right?

I love my Buckeyes but it doesn't change the fact that Wells stacks right up there with McFadden, Peterson or any other RB thats come out in a long time. When it's all said and done, Wells' final draft grade will be higher than any of them...and I guarantee you that he ends up timing as fast as any of them also. Just remember where you heard it.

BTW, don't be surprised if McFadden ends up being the second back picked this year behind Mendenhall also. I have a feeling that that both of their workouts are going to be very comparable and if so McFadden might fall behind him do to the fact that he can't seem to stay out of the bars. Believe me, that's not going to help him.

Tex...Spicoli...

what in the fuck are you two arguing about??? Wells and McFadden...who is the best..fastest...strongest...can piss the furtherest......jesus
Both are very good running backs....who the fuck knows which one will play on a better Oline and have a better opportinity to get thru holes ? who knows if either will get injured? Its Subjective......
One team may like Wells better than McFadden.. another make say fuck both of them and go with Jonathan Stewart....
agree to disagree or something.....your both getting nowhere with your stubborn stances.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='622164' date='Jan 13 2008, 12:23 PM']Tex...Spicoli...

what in the fuck are you two arguing about??? Wells and McFadden...who is the best..fastest...strongest...[b]can piss the furtherest[/b]......jesus
Both are very good running backs....who the fuck knows which one will play on a better Oline and have a better opportinity to get thru holes ? who knows if either will get injured? Its Subjective......
One team may like Wells better than McFadden.. another make say fuck both of them and go with Jonathan Stewart....
agree to disagree or something.....your both getting nowhere with your stubborn stances.[/quote]

Now thats some enlightment :lol:

[quote name='spicoli' post='622154' date='Jan 13 2008, 10:53 AM']oh, well, how convenient. might as well throw Mcfaddens numbers out the window too then right?

I love my Buckeyes but it doesn't change the fact that Wells stacks right up there with McFadden, Peterson or any other RB thats come out in a long time. When it's all said and done, Wells' final draft grade will be higher than any of them...and I guarantee you that he ends up timing as fast as any of them also. Just remember where you heard it.

BTW, don't be surprised if McFadden ends up being the second back picked this year behind Mendenhall also. I have a feeling that that both of their workouts are going to be very comparable and if so McFadden might fall behind him do to the fact that he can't seem to stay out of the bars. Believe me, that's not going to help him.[/quote]

I don't have a problem with disagreement -- just don't appreciate being called stupid is all. You can disagree all you want. That's what these boards are for. My opinion was my opinion, and I said as much - we'll agree to disagree.

Just leave the emotion/name calling out of your comments. Have a good day.

[quote name='texbengal' post='622375' date='Jan 14 2008, 08:27 AM']I don't have a problem with disagreement -- just don't appreciate being called stupid is all.[/quote]

Learn to read. I didn't call you stupid, I said it was a stupid comment...

[url="http://hooked-on-phonics.com/"]http://hooked-on-phonics.com/[/url]

[quote name='texbengal' post='621659' date='Jan 11 2008, 08:29 PM']I like Beanie Wells, but take off the OSU goggles, will you? NO WAY he's as good as McFadden, or as fast.

Steltz has been timed in the hi 4.5, low 4.6 range. If he can catch Beanie, that's not a compliment.[/quote]

Wow

Why don't you read the whole thread befor replying, it usually gives you more insight as to a poster's opinion and what he/she's trying to get across. And the Steltz situation wasn't meant to be a compliment, but again you have to read the entire thread. Good luck.

I do not want McFadden or anyone from OSU (at least not this year), I don't want Dorsey either....who DO I want you say. Well, that will have to wait until I see who we hire to coach the team and what there plan of attack is. I would rather us trade our pick for a couple later picks and get some late pick "gems" that will fit our system (whatever that may be)

[quote name='turningpoint' post='620741' date='Jan 9 2008, 01:57 PM']Either way i'd take him with open arms and allow rudi and perry out the door and give irons a year.

Keep dede and Watson.

Allow watson to be our starter and let Irons and Mcfadden duke it out for 3rd down back/2nd starter.

Why fix a defense when you can win 60-45?[/quote]

WHY FIX A DEFENSE WHEN YOU CAN WIN 60-45?!?!?!? HOW ABOUT WHY FIX A DEFENSE WHEN YOU
CAN LOSE 51-45 !!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW, WE HAVE SHORT-TERM MEMORIES AROUND HERE.

ANOTHER RUNNING BACK (OR WR, OR TE, ETC, ETC) IS THE LAST FUCKIN THING WE NEED RIGHT
NOW IN THE EARLY ROUNDS, REGARDLESS OF WHO IS AVAILABLE.

WHAT WE NEED IS DEFENSE. YOU KNOW IT, I KNOW IT, EVERYONE ELSE KNOWS IT....

JUST PRAY TO GOD THAT MIKE BROWN KNOWS IT.

[quote name='The Bengal Thing' post='622693' date='Jan 14 2008, 10:20 PM']I do not want McFadden or anyone from OSU (at least not this year), I don't want Dorsey either....who DO I want you say. Well, that will have to wait until I see who we hire to coach the team and what there plan of attack is. I would rather us trade our pick for a couple later picks and get some late pick "gems" that will fit our system (whatever that may be)[/quote]

What you got against Oklahoma State players?

:ninja:

Looks like Gholston will be the only one, and I think he's gone by 9 anyway.

Archived