Bengals close on TE Utecht

Friday, March 14, 2008

The Bengals appear to be closing in on an offer sheet with Colts retricted free agent Ben Utecht. Once he would sign the sheet with the Bengals, Indianapolis would have one week to decide whether to match.

Per Curnutte....

Thought this deserved it's own thread.

[quote name='Who Dey Time' post='643396' date='Mar 14 2008, 02:25 PM']If this comes true I like it simply for the fact that they now have more options in the draft. They don't automatically have to find a TE.

Let's hope it gets done and Indy lets him go.[/quote]

x 100! Make it happen

[quote name='bengalrick' post='643440' date='Mar 14 2008, 04:48 PM']OK, now that things are progressing further, anyone here a colts fan or watch alot of colts games? what could we expect from Utecht?[/quote]

Own is a colts fan (or more a Manning fan) if I remember right.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='643446' date='Mar 14 2008, 05:01 PM']I work with a Colts season ticket holder. He says he gets open and seems to always fumble. The guy I work with is also a huge pessimist, so take it with a grain of salt.[/quote]

BS..I had Dallas Clark on my fantasy team last year and he stole about half his TD's and a lot of his receiving yards. I don't know how many times I was like FUCK it was Utecht who scored! From watching him last year he will easily become our most complete TE.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='643453' date='Mar 14 2008, 05:10 PM']BS..I had Dallas Clark on my fantasy team last year and he stole about half his TD's and a lot of his receiving yards. I don't know how many times I was like FUCK it was Utecht who scored! From watching him last year he will easily become our most complete TE.[/quote]

Uh, Utecht had 1 TD last year and Clark had 11.

We don't necessarily need a stud at the TE position...just someone that has decent hands, can block, and can run some of those routes that TJ and Henry run over the middle to give us more options and more field to play with.

This could also mean that we are seriously considering trading up to get one of those tackles.....Think about it, if we have fulfilled two of our biggest needs in FA, then all we maybe need to do is get that help in the middle, whether it be Dorsey, Ellis, some other rookie DT (I love Trevor Laws BTW, he reminds me of Peko), or some guy that is on the market.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='643498' date='Mar 14 2008, 06:11 PM']We don't necessarily need a stud at the TE position...just someone that has decent hands, can block, and can run some of those routes that TJ and Henry run over the middle to give us more options and more field to play with.

This could also mean that we are seriously considering trading up to get one of those tackles.....Think about it, if we have fulfilled two of our biggest needs in FA, then all we maybe need to do is get that help in the middle, whether it be Dorsey, Ellis, some other rookie DT (I love Trevor Laws BTW, he reminds me of Peko), or some guy that is on the market.[/quote]

From watching him over the past few seasons, I would say that his hands are actually better than decent. He isn't a great athlete, but he's played in a pass heavy offense and caught 30+ passes each of the past two years as the #2 TE. He should be a nice role player for us.

I hear you about the possibility of trading up. This scratches another "need" off the list to some extent (along with DE by signing Odom) and I will repeat what I've said all along. NO WAY ARE 10 ROOKIES MAKING THE 53 MAN ROSTER. The excess picks give us plenty of ammo to move up.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='643514' date='Mar 14 2008, 05:41 PM']From watching him over the past few seasons, I would say that his hands are actually better than decent. He isn't a great athlete, but he's played in a pass heavy offense and caught 30+ passes each of the past two years as the #2 TE. He should be a nice role player for us.

I hear you about the possibility of trading up. This scratches another "need" off the list to some extent (along with DE by signing Odom) and I will repeat what I've said all along. NO WAY ARE 10 ROOKIES MAKING THE 53 MAN ROSTER. The excess picks give us plenty of ammo to move up.[/quote]

Of course not, since given our luck 7 will be on IR

[quote name='Chucktkd' post='643533' date='Mar 14 2008, 09:42 PM']How long does Indy have to match the offer?[/quote]

[quote]Friday, March 14, 2008

The Bengals appear to be closing in on an offer sheet with Colts retricted free agent Ben Utecht. [b]Once he would sign the sheet with the Bengals, Indianapolis would have one week to decide whether to match.[/b]
Per Curnutte....[/quote]

Archived