Bruce Almighty....The Legend is Born..

I love what he's been doing, but I hope he doesn't let the hype get to him. I'm not worried about him getting cocky, but I worry about the pressure that the town is putting on him. He's oretty much being billed as the second coming of Jesus, and it's just not fair to put that kind of pressure on the kid.

Hopefully the town and fans don't turn on him like they did Bailey, who got the same kind of treatment.

[quote name='Jason' post='669279' date='May 31 2008, 09:51 PM']I don't know, I don't think he's ready for the big leagues.[/quote]
Yeah, we need to send him back down to single A, he just isn't getting it done.
The Reds need to send Bruce down and bring up a fourth catcher, we're really not seeing enough production out of the catcher position, so we need to audition as many as we can before the season is out of reach.

[b]Reds rookie Bruce caps week with walk-off home run[/b]

[b]Griffey hits homer of his own — No. 599[/b]
By [email=hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com]Hal McCoy[/email]

Staff Writer

Sunday, June 01, 2008

CINCINNATI — If it had been a night game, sparks would have showered from the light stanchions, spraying Jay Bruce as he circled the bases, giggling all the way.

That's the way it was in the movie "The Natural" — only this story is better and a novelist couldn't pass it off as nonfiction.

Bruce hit a game-ending walk-off home run in the bottom of the 10th inning, Saturday, May 31 — his first major-league home run — to give the Cincinnati Reds an 8-7 victory over the Atlanta Braves.

"It was my first walk-off home run ever, in my whole life, at any level," said Bruce.

So the myth is becoming a legend at warp speed.

In five major-league games, Bruce has 11 hits, three doubles, a home run, four RBIs and the unwavering devotion of adulating fans. Even manager Dusty Baker, a man of many words, was nearly speechless.

"A lot of times hype is overhyped, but this hype is real," said Baker of his 21-year-old center fielder.

Not only did the 38,585 in Great American Ball Park see more Bruce ballistics, they saw Ken Griffey Jr. park home run No. 599.

"What a remarkable story for Jay Bruce," said Baker. "That's probably one of the best stories I've ever seen. If he is living a dream, I'd like to get into that dream."

Starter Josh Fogg was given leads of 3-0 and 5-2, but couldn't survive the fourth inning and the game became an exhibition of ring-around-the-bases.

And there it was, 7-7, when Bruce came to bat with one out in the 10th.

Afterward, he could hardly talk, knowing not what to say and trying to stifle giggles.

"Yeah, I knew," he said. "When I hit it, I knew."

Asked about stealing the show from Griffey, Bruce said, "You can't steal the show from Griffey. He is the show."

And his show? More laughter.

"Nothing to say, just that it's awesome — another great win," he said after his team's sixth win in eight games. "We're doing what we're supposed to do."

The Reds trailed 7-6, in the bottom of the ninth when Adam Dunn opened with a walk and Ryan Freel ran for him. Joey Votto nearly ended the game with a homer, but his bolt braced the right-field wall as Freel ran to third.

David Ross grounded in front of the plate — an easy second out. When pitcher Rafael Soriano threw Ross out at first, Freel boldly broke for home and slid in safely — although Atlanta manager Bobby Cox protested so vehemently he was quickly excused.

Braves catcher Brian McCann thought he tagged Freel, "Thought he was out, but after I looked at the replay, he was safe. Just a weird play."

Said Baker, "Just an excellent heads-up play."

Bruce kept trying to deflect attention elsewhere.

"Dunn got the big walk, then we got the momentum with Freel sliding into home on that crazy play," said Bruce. "This whole thing has been crazy. When I hit first base, well, it was awesome and I was anxious to get to home and get beat up again — but I'll take it, every time it can happen."

Votto, the almost hero, just shook his head over Bruce's big-league beginning.

"Take a look at his month of May and he might be the hottest hitter in all of baseball," said Votto. "It's unbelievable. I hope he keeps it going. That was a big swing. That's about as good of a home run as it gets, especially in front of a big home crowd."

Told that it was Bruce's first-ever walkoff home run, Votto said, "Even better. Obviously it was meant for the big leagues."

Bruce had hits his first two at-bats and has 11 in his first five games. He is the first Reds player to have eight hits in his first four games since Ken Griffey Sr. went 9 for 17 in his 1972 August debut.

So, he upstaged the entire Griffey family.

Said Baker, "Junior has been hitting the ball good, even his outs are hard. Won't be too much longer and I hope he gets it over with tomorrow. He told me he'd heat up when the weather got hot. When you get older, you love that hot weather."

Baker, though, couldn't get over Bruce.

"He's not a power hitter, not a home run hitter," he said. "You come in as a hitter and you learn how to hit home runs. He's a hitter, not a slugger and, boy, that was a remarkable game. Makes me glad I came back to managing. Man, that was nice.

"That's the stuff I missed in the booth, he added. "The booth was nice, but, man, this is wonderful."

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/05/31/ddn060108spredsweb.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...8spredsweb.html[/url]

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='669286' date='May 31 2008, 10:55 PM'][b]Reds rookie Bruce caps week with walk-off home run[/b]

[b]Griffey hits homer of his own — No. 599[/b]
By [email=hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com]Hal McCoy[/email]

Staff Writer

Sunday, June 01, 2008

CINCINNATI — If it had been a night game, sparks would have showered from the light stanchions, spraying Jay Bruce as he circled the bases, giggling all the way.

That's the way it was in the movie "The Natural" — only this story is better and a novelist couldn't pass it off as nonfiction.

Bruce hit a game-ending walk-off home run in the bottom of the 10th inning, Saturday, May 31 — his first major-league home run — to give the Cincinnati Reds an 8-7 victory over the Atlanta Braves.

"It was my first walk-off home run ever, in my whole life, at any level," said Bruce.

So the myth is becoming a legend at warp speed.

In five major-league games, Bruce has 11 hits, three doubles, a home run, four RBIs and the unwavering devotion of adulating fans. Even manager Dusty Baker, a man of many words, was nearly speechless.

"A lot of times hype is overhyped, but this hype is real," said Baker of his 21-year-old center fielder.

Not only did the 38,585 in Great American Ball Park see more Bruce ballistics, they saw Ken Griffey Jr. park home run No. 599.

"What a remarkable story for Jay Bruce," said Baker. "That's probably one of the best stories I've ever seen. If he is living a dream, I'd like to get into that dream."

Starter Josh Fogg was given leads of 3-0 and 5-2, but couldn't survive the fourth inning and the game became an exhibition of ring-around-the-bases.

And there it was, 7-7, when Bruce came to bat with one out in the 10th.

Afterward, he could hardly talk, knowing not what to say and trying to stifle giggles.

"Yeah, I knew," he said. "When I hit it, I knew."

Asked about stealing the show from Griffey, Bruce said, "You can't steal the show from Griffey. He is the show."

And his show? More laughter.

"Nothing to say, just that it's awesome — another great win," he said after his team's sixth win in eight games. "We're doing what we're supposed to do."

The Reds trailed 7-6, in the bottom of the ninth when Adam Dunn opened with a walk and Ryan Freel ran for him. Joey Votto nearly ended the game with a homer, but his bolt braced the right-field wall as Freel ran to third.

David Ross grounded in front of the plate — an easy second out. When pitcher Rafael Soriano threw Ross out at first, Freel boldly broke for home and slid in safely — although Atlanta manager Bobby Cox protested so vehemently he was quickly excused.

Braves catcher Brian McCann thought he tagged Freel, "Thought he was out, but after I looked at the replay, he was safe. Just a weird play."

Said Baker, "Just an excellent heads-up play."

Bruce kept trying to deflect attention elsewhere.

"Dunn got the big walk, then we got the momentum with Freel sliding into home on that crazy play," said Bruce. "This whole thing has been crazy. When I hit first base, well, it was awesome and I was anxious to get to home and get beat up again — but I'll take it, every time it can happen."

Votto, the almost hero, just shook his head over Bruce's big-league beginning.

"Take a look at his month of May and he might be the hottest hitter in all of baseball," said Votto. "It's unbelievable. I hope he keeps it going. That was a big swing. That's about as good of a home run as it gets, especially in front of a big home crowd."

Told that it was Bruce's first-ever walkoff home run, Votto said, "Even better. Obviously it was meant for the big leagues."

Bruce had hits his first two at-bats and has 11 in his first five games. He is the first Reds player to have eight hits in his first four games since Ken Griffey Sr. went 9 for 17 in his 1972 August debut.

So, he upstaged the entire Griffey family.

Said Baker, "Junior has been hitting the ball good, even his outs are hard. Won't be too much longer and I hope he gets it over with tomorrow. He told me he'd heat up when the weather got hot. When you get older, you love that hot weather."

Baker, though, couldn't get over Bruce.

"He's not a power hitter, not a home run hitter," he said. "You come in as a hitter and you learn how to hit home runs. He's a hitter, not a slugger and, boy, that was a remarkable game. Makes me glad I came back to managing. Man, that was nice.

"That's the stuff I missed in the booth, he added. "The booth was nice, but, man, this is wonderful."

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/05/31/ddn060108spredsweb.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...8spredsweb.html[/url][/quote]
I have an actual boner. But hey, I just like fresh-faced 21-year old men. It's just me, you know?
:lol:

I'm out doing yard work today, came in to check the box score to see what Bruce has done.

Two for three plus a walk with a home run????

GOD DAMN !!!!!

There's no way he can keep this pace, but this kid seems to be the real deal. Looks like Cueto had a good game too.

:headbang:

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='669390' date='Jun 1 2008, 03:12 PM']They are 5-1 since Bruce has been called up. The whole team has been playing better since his call up, except Harang...[/quote]

They are definately playing great with Bruce in the lineup, but they've been playing better in general. They had gone 8-5 over the last home and road stands before he came up too.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='669271' date='May 31 2008, 07:58 PM']Hopefully the town and fans don't turn on him like they did Bailey, who got the same kind of treatment.[/quote]

[quote]Paul Janish, a great kid, is here. Jay Bruce, a great kid, is here. [b]Homer Bailey is not here. And notice I didn’t use the word great.[/b]

You wonder, just wonder, now that he has seen Janish and Bruce leave Louisville, along with Andy Phillips,[b] can Bailey just adjust his attitude and work ethic, show some spunk instead of snarkiness and get himself up here.[/b]

It was no accident that Bruce got pie-faced and water soaked by his teammates after his debut and hardly any teammate paid attention when Bailey was here last year. Bruce is well-liked. [b]Bailey is aloof. A loner. There is a reason for that.[/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2008/05/28/"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...ies/2008/05/28/[/url]

[url="http://www.ryanparkersongs.com/2008/06/jay-bruce-almighty.html"]http://www.ryanparkersongs.com/2008/06/jay...e-almighty.html[/url]

[size=5][b]Jay Bruce Almighty[/b][/size]

He's not the Pearl from Tennessee,
He's not the Boss from New Jersey,
He's not the Earle from Ohio State,
But his name is Bruce and his game is great,

He don't sing in commercials like Bronson Arroyo,
He hits homers like Griffey and Dunn,
And he gives us more reason to have hope this season,
Cause we all believe he's the one,
Who was called up from Louisville to live out and fulfill,
His destiny truly and mighty,
So in praise of his name I now stand and proclaim,
He is Jay Bruce Almighty,

He's not the Lee who was strong and lean,
He's not the Willis on the big screen,
He's not the Isaac who plays football,
But his name is Bruce and I stand in awe

He don't sing in commercials like Bronson Arroyo,
He hits homers like Griffey and Dunn,
And he gives us more reason to have hope this season,
Cause we all believe he's the one,
Who was called up from Louisville to live out and fulfill,
His destiny truly and mighty,
So in praise of his name I now stand and proclaim,
He is Jay Bruce Almighty ...

[quote][size=5][b]Reds rookie Jay Bruce has the house rockin' in Cincinnati [/b][/size]
Updated 3m ago
By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY

Ken Griffey Jr. is just one swing away from 600 and Chipper Jones still is hitting over .400, but leave it to a one-week-old rookie to steal the show in Cincinnati.
Reds center fielder Jay Bruce, the 21-year-old who made his major-league debut six days ago, has folks in Cincinnati wondering if they're watching Joe Hardy in Damn Yankees.

Bruce was the hero again Sunday in the Reds' 6-2 victory in their three-game sweep of the Atlanta Braves, capping off a week in which he hit a cool .591 with two homers (including a walk-off), two steals, six RBI, 13 hits and countless marriage proposals.

"I've never seen an entrance like this before, maybe Bobby Bonds, but otherwise, I can't recall anything like it," Reds manager Dusty Baker says.

Bruce, who became the second player in 80 years to reach base in his first six plate appearances, is also upstaging Griffey, who hit his 599th career home run Saturday. "If he is living a dream," Baker says, "I'd like to get into that dream."

[b]Bruce, being called "Babe Bruce" by his teammates[/b], already has fans screaming "Bruuuce" when he steps to the plate. Women are flashing signs with marriage proposals. And he has given new hope for the Reds, winners of six of their last seven games, and climbing within one game of .500.

"I hope there is more to come," Bruce told reporters.[/quote]

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/reds/2008-06-01-jay-bruce_N.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl...jay-bruce_N.htm[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='669522' date='Jun 2 2008, 07:05 AM'][quote]Paul Janish, a great kid, is here. Jay Bruce, a great kid, is here. Homer Bailey is not here. And notice I didn’t use the word great.

You wonder, just wonder, now that he has seen Janish and Bruce leave Louisville, along with Andy Phillips, can Bailey just adjust his attitude and work ethic, show some spunk instead of snarkiness and get himself up here.

[b]It was no accident that Bruce got pie-faced and water soaked by his teammates after his debut and hardly any teammate paid attention when Bailey was here last year. Bruce is well-liked. Bailey is aloof. A loner. There is a reason for that[/b].[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2008/05/28/"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...ies/2008/05/28/[/url]
[/quote]

Hal McGoo missed that one - I was standing behind the dugout after Bailey's debut, when he came out to be interviewed by Piecoro, and was pie-faced as well. Though it wasn't the double pie facing that Bruce got.

I think nothing but good can come from having Bailey up here. If he succeeds...awesome. And if he flops, he will see he's not yet the cat's meow, and needs more work. The way he has struggled suddenly makes you think he is either injured, or that he's just stopped trying after he didn't get called up after the first month of good results. It is important to remember that he did have a groin ailment last year, and his velocity wasn't initially as advertised.

Archived