Simpson the number 3 WR?

Thought this deserved its own thread...

[quote]Lewis said he's not ready to put rookie receiver Jerome Simpson in Canton yet, but he's going to at least put him in Baltimore Sept. 7. Lewis made it sound like Simpson is his third receiver because "he's going to get a significant number of snaps. ... If we have 80 offensive plays, I hope he gets 20 and we run the ball the other 60."[/quote]

www.bengals.com

Seems to me like he's the number 3 guy, and might even start if CJ gets hurt.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='691780' date='Aug 26 2008, 05:36 PM']Weren't like 60 of those on a garbage time hail mary pass at the end of the game?[/quote]

Does it really matter for a rookie in preseason, he made a play that was there to be made in the time given to him? It's not like completing Hail Mary's are routine or easy.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='691807' date='Aug 26 2008, 07:29 PM']Chad, TJ are given.

imo he's already better than Chatman or Holt, so while [b]he's got a lot of growing to do[/b], I say why not?[/quote]
So he should be what 6-6, 6-7 before the season's over? Is it like with dogs where he still has to grow into his hands? I bet other NFL teams are wishing they could have picked up on that before the draft!

:ph34r:

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='691810' date='Aug 26 2008, 07:42 PM']So he should be what 6-6, 6-7 before the season's over? Is it like with dogs where he still has to grow into his hands? I bet other NFL teams are wishing they could have picked up on that before the draft!

:ph34r:[/quote]

:rsju31uh9:

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='691844' date='Aug 26 2008, 11:06 PM']I'm happy he'll be our 3rd. I hope he stays there. Because next year, he'll be our 2. He could use the reps.[/quote]

seems unlikely.. henry will be the #2, unless we trade chad(doubt) AND let tj go (expected).. then simpson may be the #2.. then again that would make henry the #1.. at that point we better draft a star WR

[quote name='GoBengals' post='691846' date='Aug 26 2008, 10:09 PM']seems unlikely.. henry will be the #2, unless we trade chad(doubt) AND let tj go (expected).. then simpson may be the #2.. then again that would make henry the #1.. at that point we better draft a star WR[/quote]
Unless Henry becomes the "star". It could happen, but I doubt it.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='691846' date='Aug 26 2008, 11:09 PM']seems unlikely.. henry will be the #2, unless we trade chad(doubt) AND let tj go (expected).. then simpson may be the #2.. then again that would make henry the #1.. at that point we better draft a star WR[/quote]

Personally I could see Simpson turning it on and keeping Henry benched when he comes back. But, if this game goes well, he'll be the 3 for at least 4 games.

I personally think it'd be wrong to hand the keys back to Henry. I think he should not start or even be the 3 if there is a suitable guy like CJ TJ or JS. Hell, I'd rather see Caldwell play before Henry.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='691878' date='Aug 26 2008, 11:52 PM']Personally I could see Simpson turning it on and keeping Henry benched when he comes back. But, if this game goes well, he'll be the 3 for at least 4 games.

I personally think it'd be wrong to hand the keys back to Henry. I think he should not start or even be the 3 if there is a suitable guy like CJ TJ or JS. Hell, I'd rather see Caldwell play before Henry.[/quote]

Not very likely.. Simpson and/or Caldwell may be good at some point - Henry is good right now..

[quote name='The Scales' post='691760' date='Aug 26 2008, 05:43 PM']Well ain't that sump'n?

Putting on my N.F.L Network/ESPN Analysist hat , bold prediciton time lads....Simpson goes to the ProBowl.[/quote]

I loved the pick and hope the best for the kid, but there's no chance that will happen this season. He's two-three seasons away from being close to fully NFL aware and I would bet about four seasons away from having a shot at the Pro Bowl. He'll be good, maybe even great (he certainly has the athletic ability) but it will definitely take a lot of time for him and the team to develop his talent.

So if Simpson is the #3 WR TJ will go to the slot in three WR sets, right?

Generally I think it is easier to work a rookie WR in at the slot position because he off the line of scrimmage instead of having the DB right on top of him in press coverage. However I don't think Simpson has worked any out of the slot in preseason. Of course I only watched the GB game, so I am not sure about this.

Archived