Blackberry Storm

steggyD

Saw it yesterday. Played with it for a few minutes, but I did not get enough time to get the hang of it. First time I touched a Blackberry touch-screen, obviously. So it felt a little funky to me.

However, this thing is nice, what I did see of it. The browswer is sweet, much larger screen than what I currently use, a Pearl and Voyager. I watched a movie clip on it, the clarity of the video is fantastic. I think I shall get this phone.

Btw, blows the Iphone away. Why? Comes with 1 gig internal memory and a free 8 gig external memory card, which will be expandable to 16 gigs, when they are on the market, if they are not already. Battery is replaceable. 3G network is better than AT&T's. Stereo bluetooth capabilities. And oh yeah, it's Blackberry and they have been making phones for years, so this is nothing new to them. And Blackberries are known for being great phones.

Definitely hope to get my hands on one Friday the 21st.

We'll see if the iPhone still outsells BB once the Storm comes out. Truth be told, M$ ActiveSync is finally ready for prime time. We've been using it at my company with great results and it's a lot easier to manage than BES.

Blackberry's days just might be numbered. At least in relation to their sheer dominance of the market... :shrug:

[quote name='steggyD' post='723801' date='Nov 15 2008, 10:21 PM']But Microsoft Phones have not been so good. They are usually buggy, freeze a lot and bad on batteries. Besides, Blackberry hit the commercial market big-time, where you don't have to have the BES, just personal email & web.[/quote]

True on both counts, but then the iPhone isn't a M$ phone, now is it?

[quote name='steggyD' post='723812' date='Nov 16 2008, 01:00 AM']True dat! I'd have either a BB or a Microsoft phone before the Iphone either way.[/quote]

I have a BB myself. The funny thing is that the two other Engineers in my department as well as our CTO (all Windows fanboys, BTW) have iPhones.

Irony...

[quote name='VonBlade' post='723758' date='Nov 15 2008, 04:44 PM']If the iPhone was called "BobsBudgetPhone" nobody would want one. The feature set is minimal, the price is astronomical. It sells on name value alone.

So no wonder the Blackberry blows it away.[/quote]

Some tech specs aren't up to par with other phones, that's certainly true. Also, some features of the iphone don't mean much to non-osx users. However, the OS of the iphone rocks, and the App Store is a huge feature advantage over other smart phones.

All that said, my lady is a Verizon user, and we're excited for her to get a Storm... I intend to get the 3rd generation iphone that should be out in June.

iphone is probably the coolest phone ever made. .. it may miss some features, but its pretty darn stable and damn cool. the storm is sweet, i checked it out myself from a blackberry rep that came to my work. its cool, touch screen is very usable. over the long term i think id prefer a real keypad tho. tho uing my curve along with an instinct im getting used to the touch screen typing as i am on the curve keyboard.

bad thing about VZ is the app lock like a motherfucker. stuck using their lame vz navigotr, and pretty weak streaming media with thier vcast stuff, the app store on iphone is great, i use my touch daily.

as for BES, will be interesting to see, i hve seen several companies dropping bes service. but allowing pop access for workers, so they can use either windows or blackberry devices still

nothing really beats the stability of a blackberry...(minus the pearl - yikes)

[quote name='GoBengals' post='724718' date='Nov 16 2008, 08:13 PM']iphone is probably the coolest phone ever made. .. it may miss some features, but its pretty darn stable and damn cool. the storm is sweet, i checked it out myself from a blackberry rep that came to my work. its cool, touch screen is very usable. over the long term i think id prefer a real keypad tho. tho uing my curve along with an instinct im getting used to the touch screen typing as i am on the curve keyboard.

bad thing about VZ is the app lock like a motherfucker. stuck using their lame vz navigotr, and pretty weak streaming media with thier vcast stuff, the app store on iphone is great, i use my touch daily.

as for BES, will be interesting to see, i hve seen several companies dropping bes service. but allowing pop access for workers, so they can use either windows or blackberry devices still

nothing really beats the stability of a blackberry...(minus the pearl - yikes)[/quote]

BES is easy to manage.

As long as you don't touch anything, touch anything, adjust anything, etc.

Then it's a whore...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='724718' date='Nov 16 2008, 09:13 PM']iphone is probably the coolest phone ever made. .. it may miss some features, but its pretty darn stable and damn cool. the storm is sweet, i checked it out myself from a blackberry rep that came to my work. its cool, touch screen is very usable. over the long term i think id prefer a real keypad tho. tho uing my curve along with an instinct im getting used to the touch screen typing as i am on the curve keyboard.[/quote]
I think the touch screens will be extremely easy to use with this next generation of touch-phones. The Storm apparently has a tactile response of some sort, and the next generation iphone (coming in June, I think) is going to have 300+ tiny springs in the screen (beneath the screen, whatever) to provide that response as well. I'd assume the next version of your company's touch phone is doing the same?

[quote name='mongo' post='725146' date='Nov 18 2008, 10:57 AM']I think the touch screens will be extremely easy to use with this next generation of touch-phones. The Storm apparently has a tactile response of some sort, and the next generation iphone (coming in June, I think) is going to have 300+ tiny springs in the screen (beneath the screen, whatever) to provide that response as well. I'd assume the next version of your company's touch phone is doing the same?[/quote]

the instinct does the vibrate when you touch and im pretty sure you can add a tone as well, its not a click sound (quite clever blackberry) but a ding or what have you along with the vibrate, its just not as smooth and real-to-life feel as a normal keyboard like the storm. but i agree, the next gen of touch screen devices will all be rather nice. and id imagine 5-10 vibrate-balls instead of springs, but yu never know, springs seems risky the way people treat phones.

phone developers should really do surveys with phone techs and repair folks, being a tech now i see maybe 5-10 things that infuriate customers about phones and how often they go wrong.

blackberry and apple are hitting home runs with every plate appearance currently tho.

tho apple only made 2 phones and for one carrier.

they could do some amazing things on a cdma network with the iphone, too bad both cdma carriers were stupid enough to pass on it first... (i can iamgine both of those people are no longer employed at either company)..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='725296' date='Nov 18 2008, 09:47 PM']i doubt it will get any cheaper.[/quote]

50/50 chance.

Don't forget how much they cut the price right after they introduced it.

Steve Wozniak called Steve Jobs and told him he was an asshole... LOL

[quote name='sois' post='725307' date='Nov 18 2008, 11:49 PM']Well I would gladly pay it if they upped the capacity to at least 32 GB.[/quote]

A 32 gig iPhone may come early (early 2009), as it is nothing more than a HD upgrade. The next generation iPhone is not expected until June 2009, though. That iPhone is expected to have a 3.5mp camera, 32gig HD for sure, 3.0 firmware (with all sorts of rumors attached to that), tactile response added to the touch screen, and much faster data rates... Some predictions also have a family of iPhones released to get one in each price range, but who knows.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='725303' date='Nov 18 2008, 11:20 PM']50/50 chance.

Don't forget how much they cut the price right after they introduced it.

Steve Wozniak called Steve Jobs and told him he was an asshole... LOL[/quote]

i talked to steve wazniak once.. well far more than once... long story..

Anyone work for Verizon? My lady wants the Storm. She shouldn't be able to upgrade for like another year, but she got this flier in the mail that gives her until December 1st to upgrade early. The trouble is, the Verizon person we talked to said we couldn't upgrade her to a Storm unless they actually had them in stock. Finding one in stock anywhere before December 1st is going to be tough, I think... We'd be happy to pay for the damned thing now, and wait a few weeks until they become readily available, but so far no one wants us to do that.

Anyone have an in that can get us a Storm before the first, get us paid for a Storm before the first but waiting for it to arrive, or can get our limited time, early upgrade extended past the first?

Archived