Anyone here live in the Flordia area?

Dan_Bengals_FL

[quote name='Jason' post='736423' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:12 AM']Is that the one on Smith Circle?

There are a couple restaurants we really liked. Some of the best bbq I've ever had is at a place called PA BBQ Grill. There's one on the corner of Hypoluxo and Congress (if that is the right Marriott, go north on Federal (Route 1) and west on Hypoluxo). The St Louis ribs and bbq chicken are awesome and try either the buttermilk or chocolate cake. Both are fantastic. There's also a place called Bru's Room on Congress just south of Gateway, it's probably the best sports bar/restaurant in town. If you don't mind traveling a couple of miles, get on A1A (there will be signs for A1A on Federal) and head south to Delray Beach. There's a place there called Boston's that has good prices on lobster and sea food. As I recall, it's just south of Atlantic Blvd.

If you like to look at amazing houses and want a really nice drive, drive A1A down to Ft Lauderdale. It will take longer than taking I-95 but it is a beautiful drive.

And if you are going to be in Florida I hope you are renting a convertible. The weather down there right now is PERFECT convertible weather![/quote]

Having flashbacks. The soon to be ex wife and I use to live on West Atlantic Blvd, in Delray Beach.

I lived in Florida for about 25 years. Mostly just east of Orlando though in a little town called Indian Harbor
Beach. You're definately gonna have to get use to the humidity. It's pretty brutal especially the further inland
you are. Still have a lot of friends that live down there. Wouldnt mind moving back down there one day.
Congrats on the new job and all.

I lived in West Palm Beach for 25 years and spent a good amount of time in every one of the state's bigger cities.
That was 25 years TOO LONG! I absolutely hated living there.
That said, many people I know who move down there after spending their younger years up north tend to like it.
If I have a choice I'll never live there again though.
Enjoy those kids gone wild and all those wonderful blue-hairs that waited till 65 to get their first driver's license because they rode cabs and subways in NYC up to that point!

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' post='736996' date='Jan 1 2009, 01:38 PM']Having flashbacks. The soon to be ex wife and I use to live on West Atlantic Blvd, in Delray Beach.[/quote]

Hey, I used to work off Atlantic in Delray. Small world..
You ever go down to Elwoods and catch The Dillengers?

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='737247' date='Jan 3 2009, 11:23 AM'][b]I lived in West Palm Beach for 25 years and spent a good amount of time in every one of the state's bigger cities.
That was 25 years TOO LONG! I absolutely hated living there.[/b]
That said, many people I know who move down there after spending their younger years up north tend to like it.
[b]If I have a choice I'll never live there again though. [/b]
Enjoy those kids gone wild and all those wonderful blue-hairs that waited till 65 to get their first driver's license because they rode cabs and subways in NYC up to that point![/quote]
I was only in WPB for about 7 years or so, but I'm with you. The only way I would ever move back to that shit hole of a state is if I move down south near my brother in law. With the amount of fishing and drinking we'd be doing, I could prolly forget where the hell I was.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='736726' date='Dec 31 2008, 10:04 AM']those are called gators, J. :D[/quote]

Not gators. We have another tpye of lizard in Florida called the Nile Monitor Lizard. The are not indigenous to Florida but their population has grown at a substantial rate over the past 35-50 years. They feed off of fish, baby gators, and even dogs. The lizards in my area are notorious for eating small dogs when their owners let them out late at night. Nile Monitors can grow to over 6 feet long. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_monitor"]Nile Monitors[/url]

[quote name='The Entertainer' post='737335' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:41 AM']Not gators. We have another tpye of lizard in Florida called the Nile Monitor Lizard. The are not indigenous to Florida but their population has grown at a substantial rate over the past 35-50 years. They feed off of fish, baby gators, and even dogs. The lizards in my area are notorious for eating small dogs when their owners let them out late at night. Nile Monitors can grow to over 6 feet long. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_monitor"]Nile Monitors[/url][/quote]
It was a joke ;)

Happy Birthday and how the hell have you been, btw?

Good luck with your move Dan. I've never lived there but I've spent some time in Orlando, Pelican Beach, Ft Myers, Satellite Beach...HATED IT!!

I simply cannot tolerate humidity like that. Beaches are cool and there's plenty to do and all, but ugh, that heat. I'd rather live in Minnesota, dontcha know.

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' post='736996' date='Jan 1 2009, 02:38 PM']Congrats on the new job and all.[/quote]

Thanks my man.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='737478' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:22 AM']Good luck with your move Dan. I've never lived there but I've spent some time in Orlando, Pelican Beach, Ft Myers, Satellite Beach...HATED IT!!

I simply cannot tolerate humidity like that. Beaches are cool and there's plenty to do and all, but ugh, that heat. I'd rather live in Minnesota, dontcha know.[/quote]

Gracias. We'll see how the heat thing works out. Can't say I am a huge fan of humidity, but not a big fan of 20 degree weather either.

Congrats on the move Dan !

And no Bunghole, you WOULD NOT rather live in Minnesota.

I live in Wisconsin, and I doubt Minnesota is much better.
Had over 40 inches of snow in December, air temps below zero,
wind chills in the 20-35 below range. We had a big ice storm Saturday.
Plus Winters last about 9-10 months.

I just depressed myself. :(

• 3 weeks later...
I've lived in Orlando for about 2 1/2 years now and I still don't know a lot about the area. Most of my time is spent at Walt Disney World slaving away for the mouse and the 2 days I have off are spent at college.

If you're big on theme parks there's a few here as you might have noticed...

Shopping: so many damn outlets and such...

Beaches: either coast is roughly about an hour away(depending on traffic).

If you like clubs, there's City Walk at Universal Studios and a few clubs in the downtown area.

During the season if you want someone to watch games w/ I would love to. I hate going to the bar solo(none of my friends down here are sports fans) and getting harassed by the Pissburgh fans.

Archived