Orlando Pace

[quote name='Mikey6866' post='755042' date='Mar 10 2009, 04:53 PM']He just got cut by Rams I say give him a 2 yr deal and plug him in while we grrom a replacement. Id probably have him play RT and Draft out LT at 6. Our line wouldent look too bad after that.[/quote]

If we signed him, I doubt we'd use 6 on a tackle

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='755044' date='Mar 10 2009, 05:55 PM']If we signed him, I doubt we'd use 6 on a tackle[/quote]

Why? Pace got maybe 2 years left in the tank I would still draft a LT because I would have Pace play RT. We cant rely on Levi and Collins may not be the answer ther either let Collins develop as a RT to take over for Pace within the next year or two.

[quote name='Mikey6866' post='755045' date='Mar 10 2009, 04:59 PM']Why? Pace got maybe 2 years left in the tank I would still draft a LT because I would have Pace play RT. We cant rely on Levi and Collins may not be the answer ther either let Collins develop as a RT to take over for Pace within the next year or two.[/quote]

I assume if they signed Pace, it'd be as a starter. I think Collins can be a quality starter now. Can't use 6 on a backup.

Second, I don't think Monroe or Smith will be there and I don't think Oher or Smith2 are worthy of 6.

I'd love to sign him. This pretty much guarantees that St. Louis is drafting an OT at #2. If any of the next 3 teams (Seattle is most likely) drafts the second OT, the Bengals would be screwed.

Get him and he is a good bet to give you a couple solid years as a starter and you can draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th this year to groom as his eventual replacement.

It would also free us up to go defense at #6 or trade down if possible.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='755061' date='Mar 10 2009, 06:49 PM']NOOOOOOOOOO

Pace has completely lost a step and was never a mauling run blocker which pretty much everyone here wants at RT.

We already have a broke down former pro-bowl LT, don't need another.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Levi's never made a single Pro Bowl, much less 7 of them.

Plus, if we signed him I'd put him at LT protecting Carson's blindside and have Collins at his more natural RT position.

I'd love the signing if we can get it done.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='755052' date='Mar 10 2009, 06:15 PM']I assume if they signed Pace, it'd be as a starter. I think Collins can be a quality starter now. [b]Can't use 6 on a backup.[/b]

Second, I don't think Monroe or Smith will be there and I don't think Oher or Smith2 are worthy of 6.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure our first pick in 2003 backed up for a season before starting.

[quote name='happyrid' post='755064' date='Mar 10 2009, 07:00 PM']I'm pretty sure Levi's never made a single Pro Bowl, much less 7 of them.

Plus, if we signed him I'd put him at LT protecting Carson's blindside and have Collins at his more natural RT position.

I'd love the signing if we can get it done.[/quote]
Levi's gone to two as alternates.

Collins was an All-American at Kansas at RT? How sure of that are you?

I'd hate it...there is a reason he's being let go and it has to do with his play fading and his injury concerns.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='755068' date='Mar 10 2009, 07:32 PM']Levi's gone to two as alternates.

I'd hate it...there is a reason he's being let go and it has to do with his play fading and his injury concerns.[/quote]

Collins played LT at Kansas but was considered to be a better fit at RT in the NFL because of his lack of lateral agility.

Pace is being let go because of his cap number and the fact that at #2 they are drafting his replacement they cant have 15-17 Mil cap hit at one position. He has hit the injury bug but is better than Levi even when Levi is fully healthy and he is 10 times better than Stacy Andrews hurt. It would certainly be an upgrade and would not likely cost much. He would be another Richmond Webb for this team. I hope we get him.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='755068' date='Mar 10 2009, 07:32 PM']Levi's gone to two as alternates.

I'd hate it...there is a reason he's being let go and it has to do with his play fading and his injury concerns.[/quote]

Levi was an alternate 1 year (2005) but didn't actually go.

I think Collins played LT at Kansas but was projected to be a better fit on the right side. A lot of guys are named All Americans. Even Kirk Barton was the same year as Collins, so its not some huge guarantee of NFL success.

Also, St. Louis was trying to get Pace to restructure because he was making 6 million this year but he refused. Doesn't mean he can't play anymore. He actually had a pretty good season last year. From STL's perspective, they probably decided they are definitely going LT at #2 so why pay another guy 6 million and try to move him to RT.

Orlando Pace is available? Sign him up. As someone else pointed out, Pace battled upper body/arm injuries in 2006 (triceps) and 2007 (torn labrum). Leg and foot injuries are usually the killers for offensive linemen. He was relatively healthy last year (14 starts) and I believe St. Louis released him more for salary cap reasons than because of how poorly he was playing. Anybody remember how well Willie Roaf played late in his career? Pace can do that if his legs stay healthy.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='755068' date='Mar 10 2009, 06:32 PM']Levi's gone to two as alternates.

BUT, it would assuredly let us draft a defensive player at 6... and you KNOW you'd be all over that.
(not that a pace signing would ever happen)

Pace is from Ohio which might help.

I bet if we cut Levi and signed Pace it would only end up costing us a million or two and would likely be a decent sized upgrade.

Like others in this thread, the big attraction for me is that it would free us up to use that first on a D player.

[quote name='happyrid' post='755110' date='Mar 10 2009, 09:33 PM']Pace is from Ohio which might help.

I bet if we cut Levi and signed Pace it would only end up costing us a million or two and would likely be a decent sized upgrade.

Like others in this thread, the big attraction for me is that it would free us up to use that first on a D player.[/quote]

Im not 100% sure but I think I read if Levi was cut it would still cost $.

[quote name='Kochman' post='755113' date='Mar 10 2009, 11:02 PM']Im not 100% sure but I think I read if Levi was cut it would still cost $.[/quote]

I thought I read that the Bengals would save 3.5 million by cutting him, but I don't remember where I read it (Hobson?) and a quick google search didn't turn anything up. So you may be right. I'm far from 100% sure myself.

My best friend is a Rams fan and hes said Pace was done 3 years ago deff. not worth it. Put a fork in this guy hes done. Collins dominated at LT in college i believe the coaches call him a dancing bear. Collins should be alright then draft Andre Smith to play right tackle hes a beast.

[quote name='happyrid' post='755064' date='Mar 10 2009, 06:00 PM']I'm pretty sure Levi's never made a single Pro Bowl, much less 7 of them.

I'd love the signing if we can get it done.[/quote]

Why do you think that Collins is a more natural RT? i have heard and seen nothing that would indicate that.

Archived