Bengals Still Interested in Raji?

[quote][size=5][b][url="http://stripehype.com/2009/04/17/bengals-still-interested-in-raji/"]Bengals Still Interested in Raji?[/url][/b][/size]

With the signing of DT [b]Tank Johnson[/b] a few days back, conventional wisdom has been that the Cincinnati Bengals are out of the running for DT [b]B.J. Raji.[/b]

However, in his latest mock, SI’s Don Banks writes that [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/04/17/mock1/index.html"][b][color="#f04d23"]some sources say Marvin Lewis will jump all over Raji if he’s still there.[/color][/b][/url] But Banks believes that in the end, the Bengals’ needs on the offensive line will trump everything else, and with both [b]Jason Smith[/b] and [b]Eugene Monroe[/b] gone, he gives Cincinnati [b]Andre Smith.[/b]

In Banks’ mock, not only do the Bengals pass on Raji for Andre Smith, they also pass on [b]Aaron Curry,[/b] who falls into Jacksonville’s lap at No. 8. Me, I’d rather have Curry.[/quote]

[url="http://stripehype.com/2009/04/17/bengals-still-interested-in-raji/"]http://stripehype.com/2009/04/17/bengals-s...rested-in-raji/[/url]

[quote name='JC' post='764903' date='Apr 17 2009, 08:04 PM']Where would we have room for all 5 DT's? I mean Tank could be dropped but we have much bigger needs. It makes little sense.[/quote]
It would be 6 actually:
Peko
Sims
Raji
Johnson
Shirley
Harris

Not too mention Fanene who also plays tackle from time to time

Any interest in Raji is a pretty obvious smoke screen IMO

With as bad as this D-Line has been, especially at the DT position, and with all the attempts we have made in vain to try to get some sort of production from our DTs by trying to get guys like Warren sapp, Shaun Rogers, Dewayne Robertson, bringing in guys like Sam Adams and Tank Johnson, taking flyers on guys like Jason Shirley, it should seem pretty obvious the bengals know how weak we are there. If the best DT in the draft is there, a big 330 lb horse who can shut down the other team's running game, you have to be foolish to think they won't at least consider taking him.

It would be foolish to add a 6th defensive tackle to this team when Levi "haven't been healthy or played well since 2006" Jones is the starting left tackle.

[quote name='brian55662' post='764924' date='Apr 17 2009, 08:32 PM']I swear there were games that Peko Thorton Sims and Harris all dressed. Raji is better then Shirley imo[/quote]
Nobody is arguing that Raji isn't better than all of our DTs. They are arguing that we are pretty set at DT and have much bigger needs elsewhere.

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='764915' date='Apr 17 2009, 08:20 PM']With as bad as this D-Line has been, especially at the DT position, and with all the attempts we have made in vain to try to get some sort of production from our DTs by trying to get guys like Warren sapp, Shaun Rogers, Dewayne Robertson, bringing in guys like Sam Adams and Tank Johnson, taking flyers on guys like Jason Shirley, it should seem pretty obvious the bengals know how weak we are there. If the best DT in the draft is there, a big 330 lb horse who can shut down the other team's running game, you have to be foolish to think they won't at least consider taking him.[/quote]

Poppyock! It doesn't matter if he is the next great fat man, unless he can play either T position we aren't gonna take him! If Curry is still there we think about it, but not for long. We are in a position where we can draft any of top 3 tackles and have that guy play the side that best utilizes his skills. This means if it's Andre Smith he's probably at RT and the other 2 are LTs. Collins looks at worst serviceable in either position. He looked pretty damn good at LT the times he got to play. Andre Smith makes sense for more than one reason and while Curry and Raji no doubt make us better, I want 2005 back and I think Marvin does too. :sterb041:

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='764925' date='Apr 17 2009, 08:34 PM']Nobody is arguing that Raji isn't better than all of our DTs.[/quote]

I am.

Peko is a beast, Sims has shown a lot of potential. Tank has had a couple of better-than-average seasons and was out of position in Dallas.

Raji is nothing more than a prospect at this point.

I think people (not just you) get a little too worked up over draft picks. Raji, as well as every other pick in this draft, could be total busts.

Stating that Raji is better than even Jason Shirley is nothing but speculation.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='764942' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:00 PM']Peko is a beast[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is the funniest thing I have read yet!

Peko is a solid player. To say he is a beast is insane. Albert Haynesworth is a beast. Shaun Rogers is a beast. I must have missed when Peko was named All-Pro or selected to to the Pro-Bowl. Certainly he would have been if people around the NFL shared your view that he is a "beast."

Wow! Talk about hyperbole!

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='764915' date='Apr 17 2009, 08:20 PM']With as bad as this D-Line has been, especially at the DT position, and with all the attempts we have made in vain to try to get some sort of production from our DTs by trying to get guys like Warren sapp, Shaun Rogers, Dewayne Robertson, bringing in guys like Sam Adams and Tank Johnson, taking flyers on guys like Jason Shirley, it should seem pretty obvious the bengals know how weak we are there. If the best DT in the draft is there, a big 330 lb horse who can shut down the other team's running game, you have to be foolish to think they won't at least consider taking him.[/quote]

Great post. You draft (especially top 10 picks) based upon long term value and who will make you better over the next 5-8 years. When you look at things from that perspective, who gives a shit if we have scrubs like Orien Harris, Jason Shirley, Jon Fanene or Tank Johnson (signed for 1 year)?

I'd still love Raji at the #6 pick. You never turn your nose up at impact players.

How the fuck did the Ravens convince themselves they needed Ngata?

Some people get what the draft is about, others watch a bunch of college football and wish they were Mel Jr.

[quote name='BengalUprising9' post='764974' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:57 PM']I would never, ever complain about getting a stud defensive tackle. Is it d-tackle are biggest need for the upcoming year? No, but if Marvin and the guys think he is the best player, then I am on board.[/quote]

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling too. I would personally prefer an OT but I wouldn't be at all pissed if Raji is the direction they choose to go in.

The choice will be made on which players are rated highest on the Bengals board and which are left between:
Andre Smith
Aaron Curry
BJ Raji
Eugene Monroe
Jason Smith
Michael Oher
Jeremy Maclin
Brian Orakpo
Everette Brown
Michael Crabtree
Beanie Wells
Knowshon Moreno
Aaron Maybin

Not by which position is highest on their list of needs - that comes later in the draft
One of those guys will be a Bengal next weekend and none of those names would surprise me at #6

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='764991' date='Apr 17 2009, 10:50 PM']The choice will be made on which players are rated highest on the Bengals board and which are left between:
Andre Smith
Aaron Curry
BJ Raji
Eugene Monroe
Jason Smith
Michael Oher
Jeremy Maclin
Brian Orakpo
Everette Brown
Michael Crabtree
Beanie Wells
Knowshon Moreno
Aaron Maybin

Not by which position is highest on their list of needs - that comes later in the draft
One of those guys will be a Bengal next weekend and none of those names would surprise me at #6[/quote]

is that how you'd rank them?

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='764991' date='Apr 18 2009, 02:50 AM']The choice will be made on which players are rated highest on the Bengals board and which are left between:
Andre Smith
Aaron Curry
BJ Raji
Eugene Monroe
Jason Smith
Michael Oher
Jeremy Maclin
Brian Orakpo
Everette Brown
Michael Crabtree
Beanie Wells
Knowshon Moreno
Aaron Maybin

One of those guys will be a Bengal next weekend and none of those names would surprise me at #6[/quote]

You hit it on the hit imo. Whoever in the Bengals mind is the best player at 6 will be the pick. So unless someone falls the question is do the Bengals think Raji is better then Smith and Oher among others.

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='764953' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:25 PM']:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is the funniest thing I have read yet!

Peko is a solid player. To say he is a beast is insane. Albert Haynesworth is a beast. Shaun Rogers is a beast. I must have missed when Peko was named All-Pro or selected to to the Pro-Bowl. Certainly he would have been if people around the NFL shared your view that he is a "beast."

Wow! Talk about hyperbole![/quote]

So you'd rather have 30 year old Rogers over 24 year old Peko?

I would also suggest that the Pro Bowl has very little to do with anything beyond name recognition.

:party: :party: :party:

:1062: :1062: :1062:

:sport27: :sport27: :sport27:

:afropic: :afropic: :afropic:

:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead:

[quote name='T-Dub' post='765054' date='Apr 18 2009, 06:15 AM']So you'd rather have 30 year old Rogers over 24 year old Peko?

I would also suggest that the Pro Bowl has very little to do with anything beyond name recognition.

:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead:[/quote]
Seriously? I don't think there is anybody that would choose Peko over Rogers if they had a chance. One is a solid starter for a less than stellar defensive line and then other is a force to be reckoned with. While I would agree that in many cases the Pro Bowl is nothing but a popularity contest, but in the case of Rogers, it is not.

So, yeah, gimme 30 year old Rogers over 24 year old Peko.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='765054' date='Apr 18 2009, 06:15 AM']So you'd rather have 30 year old Rogers over 24 year old Peko?

:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead:[/quote]

In a heartbeat. Rogers is vastly better than Peko

[quote name='Mu Shu' post='765055' date='Apr 18 2009, 07:12 AM']Seriously? I don't think there is anybody that would choose Peko over Rogers if they had a chance. One is a solid starter for a less than stellar defensive line and then other is a force to be reckoned with. While I would agree that in many cases the Pro Bowl is nothing but a popularity contest, but in the case of Rogers, it is not.

So, yeah, gimme 30 year old Rogers over 24 year old Peko.[/quote]

I think I'd rather have a solid starter then a guy who can be great and then disappears because he is in a bad mood. Yeah, Rogers at this point is better but Peko will likely continue to improve . We have enough headaches and we certainly wouldn't need another one.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='765109' date='Apr 18 2009, 01:12 PM']I think I'd rather have a solid starter then a guy who can be great and then disappears because he is in a bad mood. Yeah, Rogers at this point is better but Peko will likely continue to improve . We have enough headaches and we certainly wouldn't need another one.[/quote]

Why would you expect further improvement from Peko? He's already played 3 seasons. Rookies have learning curve and you normally see improvement from year 1 to year 2. With interior linemen, most of what they do is physical, brute force. After three years, there's probably a greater chance of his play slipping due to injury, than improving due to working out or learning something new.

Archived