Roster Predictions

Here goes, after the 3rd preseason game I see it shaking out like this:

[b]QB[/b]
Carson Palmer, J.T. O'Sullivan, Jordan Palmer
[i]Jordan may overtake JT at some point. Not at the beginning of the season though.[/i]

[b]FB[/b]
Fui Vakapuna, Chris Pressley
[i]Say goodbye, JJ.[/i]

[b]RB [/b]
Cedric Benson, Bernard Scott, DeDe Dorsey
[i]DeDe makes it over Brian Leonard, who may be practice-squadded. James Johnson will also be practice squadded.[/i]

[b]WR[/b]
Chad Ochocinco, Laveranues Coles, Andre Caldwell, Chris Henry, Maurice Purify, Jerome Simpson
[i]Rome will be inactive most games, unless someone gets injured. Purify makes the squad for his teams play.[/i]

[b]RT[/b]
Anthony Collins, Andre Smith

[b]RG [/b]
Bobbie Williams, Scott Kooistra

[b]C[/b]
Kyle Cook, Jonathan Luigs

[b]LG [/b]
Nate Livings, Jason Shirley

[b]LT[/b]
Andrew Whitworth
[i]That's 9 o-lineman. If Whit goes down, Collins moves over and Andre goes at RT (assuming he's signed).[/i]

[b]TE[/b]
Daniel Coats, Chase Coffman, Brad St. Louis
[i]We'll be light on Tight Ends. They might sign a FA and dump a linebacker (Blackstock).[/i]

That's 26 on offense.

[b]SS[/b]
Roy Williams, Chinedum Ndukwe, Tom Nelson

[b]FS[/b]
Chris Crocker, Kyries Hebert
[i]Nelson and Hebert make it for their teams play.[/i]
[b]
LDE [/b]
Robert Geathers, Jonathan Fanene
[i]Harrington gets squadded.[/i]

[b]LDT[/b]
Domata Peko, Langston Moore

[b]RDT[/b]
Tank Johnson, Pat Sims
[i]Note: I edited the above, forgot about Langston Moore. McDonald and Phillips will be Squadded.[/i]

[b]RDE[/b]
Antwan Odom, Michael Johnson

[b]OLB[/b]
Rey Maualuga, Rashad Jeanty, Darryl Blackstock

[b]OLB2 [/b]
Keith Rivers, Brandon Johnson

[b]MLB [/b]
Dhani Jones, Abdul Hodge

[b]RCB [/b]
Leon Hall, Geoffrey Pope, Morgan Trent

[b]LCB [/b]
Johnathan Joseph, David Jones

That's 25 on Defense.

[b]K [/b]
Money Graham

[b]P[/b]
Huber

So that's 53. Andre Caldwell returns kickoffs, Tom Nelson returns punts. Gunners are Kyries Hebert and Maurice Purify.

[quote name='MaineBengal' date='28 August 2009 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1251481096' post='795790']

[b]QB[/b]
[i]Jordan may overtake JT at some point. Not at the beginning of the season though.[/i]

[font="Arial Black"]Agree on who makes it. No way that they'll go to Jordan's inexperience over JT if Carson misses time.[/font]

[b]FB[/b]
[i]Say goodbye, JJ.[/i]

[font="Arial Black"]JJ for sure and I think that is it. Fui to practice squad.[/font]

[b]RB [/b]
[i]DeDe makes it over Brian Leonard, who may be practice-squadded. James Johnson will also be practice squadded.[/i]

[font="Arial Black"]Tough call, but I say Leonard just barely over Dorsey. Neither of them is eligible for practice squad.[/font]

[b]WR[/b]
Chad Ochocinco, Laveranues Coles, Andre Caldwell, Chris Henry, Maurice Purify, Jerome Simpson
[i]Rome will be inactive most games, unless someone gets injured. Purify makes the squad for his teams play.[/i]

[font="Arial Black"]I think Cosby over Purify, but that one could be close. May depend on if Tom Nelson makes the team. I think one of those 2 guys will make the team and be the primary punt returner.[/font]

[b]RT[/b]

[b]RG [/b]

[b]C[/b]

[b]LG [/b]

[font="Arial Black"]I'll be a bit surprised if Shirley makes it. I think they just moved him over there to have a warm body due to the injuries.[/font]

[b]LT[/b]
Andrew Whitworth
[i]That's 9 o-lineman. If Whit goes down, Collins moves over and Andre goes at RT (assuming he's signed).[/i]

[b]TE[/b]
[i]We'll be light on Tight Ends. They might sign a FA and dump a linebacker (Blackstock).[/i]

That's 26 on offense.

[font="Arial Black"]I think it ends up with 25 on offense because I think we'll only keep 1 FB. If its 26, I think it will be a 4th TE (maybe Utecht if he's cleared.)[/font]

[b]SS[/b]

[b]FS[/b]
[b]
LDE [/b]

[b]LDT[/b]
Domata Peko, Clinton McDonald

[b]RDT[/b]
Tank Johnson, Pat Sims

[b]RDE[/b]

[b]OLB[/b]

[b]OLB2 [/b]

[b]MLB [/b]
Dhani Jones, Abdul Hodge

[b]RCB [/b]

[b]LCB [/b]

That's 25 on Defense.

[b]K [/b]
Money Graham

[b]P[/b]
Huber

So that's 53. Andre Caldwell returns kickoffs, Tom Nelson returns punts. Gunners are Kyries Hebert and Maurice Purify.
[/quote]

[font="Arial Black"]Agree with your D picks for the most part, but I think they signed Langston Moore thinking he'll make the 53. Probably with McDonald to the PS. I think he's been injured during camp.[/font]

[quote name='happyrid' date='28 August 2009 - 02:48 PM' timestamp='1251481681' post='795794']
[font="Arial Black"]Agree with your D picks for the most part, but I think they signed Langston Moore thinking he'll make the 53. Probably with McDonald to the PS. I think he's been injured during camp.[/font]
[/quote]

Ah, you're absolutely right. Forgot about Moore! He's not on the bengals.com depth chart. I'm fixing that in my first post.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='28 August 2009 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1251482214' post='795796']
agree for the most part. Leonard isn't elgible for the practice squad, and IMO he'll beat out Dorsey. Harrington isn't eligible either I think.

And no way JP ever beats out O'sullivan. JT'O may not be great, but he's 10-fold better than little palmer.
[/quote]

Ah, thought Leonard could be squadded. If they keep him, then they'll only have one "shifty" back in Scott. If they keep DeDe, then they'll have him AND Scott. For bruisers, they'll have Cedric and Fui.

For JT, I think Jordan will ultimately be a better match for #2 QB on Cincy's team. Once Jordan's mind is right, he's a very similar player to Carson, same exact size, similar ability. He just needs more time in the system.

[quote name='MaineBengal' date='28 August 2009 - 01:38 PM' timestamp='1251481096' post='795790']

[b]QB[/b]

[b]FB[/b]
[i]Say goodbye, JJ.[/i]

[b]RB [/b]

[b]WR[/b]

[b]RT[/b]

[b]RG [/b]

[b]C[/b]

[b]LG [/b]

[b]LT[/b]
Andrew Whitworth

[b]TE[/b]

That's 26 on offense.

[b]SS[/b]

[b]FS[/b]
[b]
LDE [/b]

[b]LDT[/b]

[b]RDT[/b]
Tank Johnson, Pat Sims
[i]Note: I edited the above, forgot about Langston Moore. McDonald and Phillips will be Squadded.[/i]

[b]RDE[/b]

[b]OLB[/b]

[b]OLB2 [/b]

[b]MLB [/b]
Dhani Jones, Abdul Hodge

[b]RCB [/b]

[b]LCB [/b]

That's 25 on Defense.

[b]K [/b]
Money Graham

[b]P[/b]
Huber

[/quote]

JTO keeps the #2. We are still SOL if Carson goes down for any length of time, but I think JTO woulod be quite capable if he had to come in for a half or a game.
Leonard over DDD.
Jeremi J over Presly who gets PS'd.

Otherwise I agree.

QB
Jordan may overtake JT at some point. Not at the beginning of the season though.

Agree on who makes it. No way that they'll go to Jordan's inexperience over JT if Carson misses time.

[b]Word.[/b]

FB
[s]Fui Vakapuna, Chris Pressley
Say goodbye, JJ.[/s]

JJ for sure and I think that is it. Fui to practice squad.

[b]I agree. Jeremi Johnson is a lock. They'll take a chance trying to slip Vakapuna onto the PS, but that's the right move.[/b]

RB
[s]DeDe makes it over Brian Leonard, who may be practice-squadded.[/s] James Johnson will also be practice squadded.

[b]The Bengals keep 4. Scott backs up Benson. DeDe is the third down back. Leonard will see some time at fullback and H-Back.[/b]

Tough call, but I say Leonard just barely over Dorsey. Neither of them is eligible for practice squad.

WR
Chad Ochocinco, Laveranues Coles, Andre Caldwell, Chris Henry, [s]Maurice Purify[/s], Jerome Simpson
Rome will be inactive most games, unless someone gets injured. Purify makes the squad for his teams play.

I think Cosby over Purify, but that one could be close. May depend on if Tom Nelson makes the team. I think one of those 2 guys will make the team and be the primary punt returner.

[b]Barring injuries, I agree. I've got a feeling, though, that Simpson will find himself on IR. If that happens, Purify is in. One way or the other, it's 6 receivers.[/b]

RT

RG

C

LG

[s]I'll be a bit surprised if Shirley makes it. I think they just moved him over there to have a warm body due to the injuries.[/s]

LT
Andrew Whitworth
That's 9 o-lineman. If Whit goes down, Collins moves over and Andre goes at RT (assuming he's signed).

[b]I agree.[/b]

TE
We'll be light on Tight Ends. [s]They might sign a FA and dump a linebacker (Blackstock)[/s].

That's 26 on offense.

I think it ends up with 25 on offense because I think we'll only keep 1 FB. If its 26, I think it will be a 4th TE (maybe Utecht if he's cleared.)

SS

[b]Nelson is the "swing guy". He's the last safety and the last cornerback.[/b]

FS
Nelson and Hebert make it for their teams play.

[b]Corey Lynch stays[/b]

LDE
Harrington gets squadded.

LDT
Domata Peko, Clinton McDonald

[b]Langston Moore sticks.[/b]

RDT
Tank Johnson, Pat Sims

RDE

OLB
Rey Maualuga, Rashad Jeanty, [s]Darryl Blackstock[/s]

[b]Blackstock gets cut. The Bengals go with 6 linebackers. In a pinch, they can move Michael Johnson or Robert Geathers to OLB.[/b]

OLB2

MLB
Dhani Jones, Abdul Hodge

RCB
Leon Hall, [s]Geoffrey Pope[/s], Morgan Trent

[b]Tom Nelson is the 5th corner.[/b]

LCB

That's 25 on Defense.

K
Money Graham

P
Huber

So that's 53. Andre Caldwell returns kickoffs, Tom Nelson returns punts. Gunners are Kyries Hebert and [s]Maurice Purify[/s] [b]Tom Nelson[/b].

A slightly diifferent question...

How many on final 53 are not currently on the roster?

It would not surprise me if...

- They pick up another CB (Joseph, Hall, Trent & when-healthy-Jones I think are obvious)...is Pope really a lock? Could Nelson be used in this space? Could they have their eyes on the waiver wire here?

- OG - depth is not exactly our best friend...I can see a late waiver-wire addition here too

- TE - not predicting this...merely saying if the "right" player became available, I would imagine they would jump at the chance

[quote name='happyrid' date='28 August 2009 - 02:48 PM' timestamp='1251481681' post='795794']
LG

[b]I'll be a bit surprised if Shirley makes it. I think they just moved him over there to have a warm body due to the injuries.[/b]
[/quote]

I listened to Thornton on the way to the game last night and apparently they really like what they see of Shirley on the Oline,
actually wanted to try him there before. "To slow afoot" for DT, would be a monster nose tackle in a 3-4 so hanging on to him
so as not to have to face him is a secondary agenda.

[quote]I'll be a bit surprised if Shirley makes it. I think they just moved him over there to have a warm body due to the injuries.[/quote]

I think he may. He's been performing well and certainly has the potential, and they may try to stash him on the roster again. At guard, luckily they have some depth to play with. Once Andre gets in, Collins would be the first backup at and of the guard spots. Then Kooistra. So Shirley would be able to provide nice depth, but you don't have to worry about him being the "next man up" unless there is a rash of injuries.

[quote name='MaineBengal' date='28 August 2009 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1251484642' post='795812']
Shirley has been pancaking people, albeit in slomo on hard knocks. :-)

We all know how much Cincy/Paul Alexander like O-line projects..... I say he sticks, and is one of those inactives on Sundays alone with Jerome Simpson.
[/quote]

It's possible, but I really doubt it. I think we need to have ready depth.

[quote name='happyrid' date='28 August 2009 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1251488578' post='795819']
It's possible, but I really doubt it. I think we need to have ready depth.
[/quote]

true, but as I mentioned, Shirley's probably your 3rd backup at guard once Smith signs, with Collins and Kooistra being the first and second backups at all positions except center.

It'll come down to Shirley and Mathis. Mathis has 6 more starts, but it'll take a lot for either to make it into a game. So they may take the one with more potential and can also backup DT.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='28 August 2009 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1251489727' post='795823']
It'll come down to Shirley and Mathis. Mathis has 6 more starts, but it'll take a lot for either to make it into a game.
[/quote]
(Mathis started 15 games for Carolina at RG in 2006)

[quote name='High School Harry' date='28 August 2009 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1251483998' post='795810']
I listened to Thornton on the way to the game last night and apparently they really like what they see of Shirley on the Oline,
actually wanted to try him there before. [b]"To slow afoot" for DT[/b], would be a monster nose tackle in a 3-4 so hanging on to him
so as not to have to face him is a secondary agenda.
[/quote]

Where did this "to [sic] slow afoot" come from? Did JT say that? ...or is that your opinion?

Just curious, because his measurables at the combine looked pretty good. "...a 330 pound player who runs a 5.0 forty, has a short shuttle time equal to Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall and DeSean Jackson, and a 3 cone time like Devin Thomas doesn't grow on trees."

http://www.900footballlinks.net/bengals.htm

It seems that someone with those measurables wouldn't likely be "slow afoot".

My take

QB Palmer 2014 O'Sullivan 2010 Palmer 2009
RB Benson 2010 Leonard 2009 Dorsey 2009 Scott 2012
FB Johnson 2009
WR Johnson 2011 Cosby UDFA
WR Coles 2012 Caldwell 2011
WR Henry 2009 Simpson 2011
TE Coats 2009 Utecht 2010 Coffman 2012
LT Whitworth 2013
LG Livings 2009 Mathis 2009
C Cook 2009 Luigs 2012
RG Williams 2009 Kooistra 2009
RT Collins 2011 Smith Rd 1

K Graham 2009
P Huber 2012
LS St. Louis 2009

LE Odom 2012 Fanene 2010
LT Johnson 2009 Sims 2011
RT Peko 2014 McDonald 2012
RE Geathers 2012 Johnson 2012
SLB Mualaga 2012 Jeanty 2009
MLB Jones 2010 Hodge 2009
WLB Rivers 2012 Johnson 2009
S Williams 2009 Ndukwe 2010 Hebert 2009
S Crocker 2012 White 2010
CB Hall 2011 Jones 2009 Nelson UDFA
CB Joseph 2010 Trent 2012

That leaves us in a great spot for next year with our only FA's outside of the OL Tank Johnson and Roy Williams, both could resign and both have replacements already on the roster.

I agree with the people who talked about a few spots needing to be added. OL depth, Nickel back and TE should all be positions we look at thoroughly in the cut down days.

My PS Squad would be...

Johnson 2009
Vakapuna 2012
Purify 2009
Kapanui 2009
Shirley 2011
Phillips UDFA
Skula UDFA
Lynch 2011

I have questions about whether or not Shirley or Lynch can be on the squad.

[quote name='Cricket' date='29 August 2009 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1251518992' post='795894']
Where did this "to [sic] slow afoot" come from? Did JT say that? ...or is that your opinion?

[/quote]
Thornton said it. Thus the quotes.
I have no idea and am just passing it along.
Sorry for the typo/proofread flub.

[center][IMG]http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10176/grammarm.jpg[/IMG][/center] :ninja: :ninja:

I agree Jordan Palmer isn't ready for #2, but I liked what I saw last 2 games. Ha's improved a lot in running his squad, and did not get flustered on the 3. A 97 yard drive is pretty good. As a #3, your job is to not screw up, mostly.

At this point, his done enough to hold the job. Next year, he should be pressing on JT, or its time for the team to think of grooming another.

[quote name='MaineBengal' date='28 August 2009 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1251481096' post='795790']

[b]QB[/b]

[b]FB[/b]
Fui Vakapuna, [b]Chris Pressley
[/b][i]Say goodbye, JJ.[/i]

[b]RB [/b]
Cedric Benson, Bernard Scott, [b]DeDe Dorsey
[/b][i]DeDe makes it over [b]Brian Leonard[/b], who may be practice-squadded. [b]James Johnson[/b] will also be practice squadded.[/i]

[b]WR[/b]

[b]RT[/b]

[b]RG [/b]

[b]C[/b]

[b]LG [/b]

[b]LT[/b]
Andrew Whitworth

[b]TE[/b]
Daniel Coats, Chase Coffman, [b]Brad St. Louis
[/b][i]We'll be light on Tight Ends. They might sign a FA and dump a linebacker (Blackstock).[/i]

That's 26 on offense.

[b]SS[/b]

[b]FS[/b]
[b]
LDE [/b]

[b]LDT[/b]

[b]RDT[/b]
Tank Johnson, Pat Sims

[b]RDE[/b]

[b]OLB[/b]

[b]OLB2 [/b]

[b]MLB [/b]
Dhani Jones, Abdul Hodge

[b]RCB [/b]

[b]LCB [/b]

That's 25 on Defense.

[b]K [/b]
Money Graham

[b]P[/b]
Huber

[/quote]

Ok, here's my thoughts so stick with me... We go with 4 running backs - DD gets cut - Johnson and Leonard stay
We go with two TE for now - not three - ben is coming back - that's light but Leonard and Scott are recieving weapons that can be deployed.

Blackstock is gone.... that allows Ben to stay on the roster and Purify goes to the PS - that keeps it at 53

Pressly to practice squad and JJ stays

My take:

[u][b]Offense[/b][/u]
QB - Carson Palmer, J.T. O'Sullivan, Jordan Palmer
RB - Cedric Benson, Bernard Scott, Brian Leonard (FB), DeDe Dorsey
FB - Jeremi Johnson
WR - Chad Johnson, Chris Henry, Jerome Simpson
WR - Laveranues Coles, Andre Caldwell, Quan Cosby (PR)
TE - Daniel Coats, Chase Coffman
LT - Andrew Whitworth (LG)
LG - Nate Livings, Evan Mathis
C - Kyle Cook, Jonathan Luigs
RG - Bobbie Williams, Scott Kooistra (RT)
RT - Anthony Collins (LT), Andre Smith

[u][b]Defense[/b][/u]
LE - Robert Geathers, Jonathan Fanene (DT)
NT - Domata Peko, Langston Moore
UT - Tank Johnson, Pat Sims
RE - Antwan Odom, Michael Johnson (SLB), Frostee Rucker
WLB - Keith Rivers, Brandon Johnson, Jim Maxwell
MLB - Dhani Jones, Abdul Hodge
SLB - Rey Maualuga (MLB), Rashad Jeanty
LCB - Johnathan Joseph, Morgan Trent
RCB - Leon Hall, David Jones
FS - Chris Crocker (CB), Marvin White
SS - Roy Williams, Chinedum Ndukwe, Kyries Hebert

[u][b]Specialists[/b][/u]
K - Shayne Graham
P - Kevin Huber
LS - Brad St. Louis

[u][b]Practice squad[/b][/u]
RB James Johnson
FB Fui Vakapuna
WR Maurice Purify
WR Freddie Brown
OT Dennis Roland
DE/DT Clinton McDonald
CB Geoffrey Pope
FS Tom Nelson

OK, I have a few tweaks to my original lineup.

QB
Jordan may overtake JT at some point. Not at the beginning of the season though.

FB
Jeremi Johnson, Brian Leonard
Leonard will do double-duty at both FB and HB. Bengals will take their chances waiving both Fui and Chris Pressley, putting one or both on the practice squad if they aren't picked up.

*NOTE: I think Leonard beat out Vakapuna. Pressley is close, but not quite there.

RB
Cedric Benson, Bernard Scott, DeDe Dorsey, Brian Leonard.
James Johnson will be practice squadded if he clears waivers.

WR
Rome will be inactive most games, unless someone gets injured. Purify makes the squad for his teams play.

RT

RG

C

LG

LT
Andrew Whitworth
That's 9 o-lineman. If Whit goes down, Collins moves over and Andre goes at RT (assuming he's signed).

TE
Daniel Coats, Chase Coffman, JP Fochi
We'll be light on Tight Ends. They might sign a FA and dump Fochi.

That's 26 on offense.

SS

FS
Nelson and Hebert make it for their teams play.

LDE
Robert Geathers, Frostee Rucker

LDT
Domata Peko, Jon Fanene

RDT
Tank Johnson, Pat Sims

*NOTE: Fanene and Rucker both make it, and swing between DT and DE.

RDE

OLB
Rey Maualuga, Rashad Jeanty

*NOTE: Blackstock doesn't make it.

OLB2

MLB
Dhani Jones, Abdul Hodge

RCB

LCB

That's 25 on Defense.

K
Money Graham

P
Huber

LS
Brad St Louis

So that's 53. Andre Caldwell returns kickoffs, Tom Nelson returns punts. Gunners are Kyries Hebert, DeDe Dorsey, and Maurice Purify.

Archived