Kelly not coaching the Sugar Bowl....He has been hired by Notre Dame

bgwilly31

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 December 2009 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1260542128' post='840212']
well assume wife and young kids would be coming.
[/quote]

We left OH when I was a 8. Then we left FL when I was 13. Whoopty fucking do. Your family is always your family, and you make new friends wherever you go.

I really have no clue what point you're trying to make.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 December 2009 - 06:44 AM' timestamp='1260539075' post='840189']

Hypothetical question here: For those of you who don't live in Cincy (and for those who do, pretend you don't), would you move away from your family and friends to coach the Bengals?
[/quote]

I'd leave my wife's family for a Klondike bar...

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 December 2009 - 10:19 AM' timestamp='1260541149' post='840204']
[b]He didn't get to the NC game because the preseason #2 and #3 teams also went undefeated.
Also, UC was not even ranked in the preseason.[/b] Still, if Texas had lost, UC would have played
in the NC game. Also, becoming a consistent winner would have given UC a "head start" in
the preseason polls too.

I don't fault him for going to his dream job, and/or more money. I fault him for the same reasons.
[/quote]

You're proving my point, aren't you? Why wasn't UC ranked? They went to a BCS bowl game last year...

As someone else said above, and my grandmother always said, if you're aunt had balls she'd have been your uncle. If, if, if... that essentially is what I was saying... he has to win every game through the season and hope that all these other teams lose, at least once, maybe twice in some cases...

How many times over the next 5 years will UC be ranked higher than Texas, USC, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. and several other big conference teams in the preseason? Not many. Which means you've got to win out and hope... that is all I'm saying.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='11 December 2009 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1260542674' post='840216']
We left OH when I was a 8. Then we left FL when I was 13. Whoopty fucking do. Your family is always your family, and you make new friends wherever you go.

[b]I really have no clue what point you're trying to make.[/b]
[/quote]

assuming it is, would you move away from home and friends for your dream job? (and in this case, being a well paid NFL coach, you'd have the money to come back and visit them when you want)

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='12 December 2009 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1260544092' post='840234']
assuming it is, would you move away from home and friends for your dream job? (and in this case, being a well paid NFL coach, you'd have the money to come back and visit them when you want)
[/quote]
Why wouldn't you? :shrug:

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='12 December 2009 - 12:19 AM' timestamp='1260544779' post='840240']
exactly.
[/quote]
If ND was his dream job, good on him.

He did alright by UC, bringing in a ton of cash to the university, and bringing the program into a very respectful place within their conference.

And while I understand the players' disappointment that oldschooler has echoed, I don't blame him for telling his players that he was happy at UC. First, I'm sure he was. But more importantly, if he'd have told the team any info that would have led them to believe he might bolt the program, and it led to the slightest distraction... Do they win that 1-point game at Pitt? I'd say the disappointment of losing their coach to ND is a bit easier than blowing their undefeated season due to an unnecessary distraction.

My beef with Kelly is strictly emotional. I've always rooted for UC because my Dad went there, and I call Cincy home (even though I've never lived there, go figure). But as much as anything, I *HATE* that UC is losing a great coach to ND. That is an amazing kick in the balls. No matter how "great" that job is supposed to be.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='11 December 2009 - 11:34 AM' timestamp='1260545693' post='840244']
If ND was his dream job, good on him.

He did alright by UC, bringing in a ton of cash to the university, and bringing the program into a very respectful place within their conference.

And while I understand the players' disappointment that oldschooler has echoed, I don't blame him for telling his players that he was happy at UC. First, I'm sure he was. But more importantly, if he'd have told the team any info that would have led them to believe he might bolt the program, and it led to the slightest distraction... Do they win that 1-point game at Pitt? I'd say the disappointment of losing their coach to ND is a bit easier than blowing their undefeated season due to an unnecessary distraction.

My beef with Kelly is strictly emotional. I've always rooted for UC because my Dad went there, and I call Cincy home (even though I've never lived there, go figure). But as much as anything, I *HATE* that UC is losing a great coach to ND. That is an amazing kick in the balls. No matter how "great" that job is supposed to be.
[/quote]

well said.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='11 December 2009 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1260543895' post='840232']
You're proving my point, aren't you? Why wasn't UC ranked? They went to a BCS bowl game last year...

As someone else said above, and my grandmother always said, if you're aunt had balls she'd have been your uncle. If, if, if... that essentially is what I was saying... he has to win every game through the season and hope that all these other teams lose, at least once, maybe twice in some cases...

How many times over the next 5 years will UC be ranked higher than Texas, USC, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. and several other big conference teams in the preseason? Not many. Which means you've got to win out and hope... that is all I'm saying.
[/quote]

They weren't ranked because College football is all about popularity contests.

To become one of the popular, you have to win consistently.
The foundation was already set before BK was hired. He helped
build upon that foundation. And UC has just as good of a chance
to make a BCS game as Texas, USC, Florida, Alabama and Oklahoma.
Win your conference and it is automatic.

Look, I know why BK took the Notre Dame job. He is Irish Catholic.
It was his dream job. They can pay more money ect. But UC is a
BCS school. And he could have built there what Notre Dame,
and the other "Big Name" schools have. He could have became
a Legend here. Now he is at a place where the pressure is on
immediately, and it is not the "best job in the Country", or you
wouldn't have the "Best Coaches in the Country" turning it down.
That is my point.

Also, my main beef with him is him lying to his players and
going off on the media. I have always heard it is better
to say nothing than to lie. His players and a lot of fans feel
betrayed. Some act like they have no reason to feel that
way. I do.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 December 2009 - 10:08 AM' timestamp='1260544092' post='840234']
[/quote]

What does someone moving away from Friends and Family
have to do with anything?

Would you lie to your Friends and Family's face and tell them
a bunch of shit and then move away from them, burning bridges
leaving them feeling betrayed, having your integrity take a hit
and shit like that? That is more accurate to this instance.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='11 December 2009 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1260545693' post='840244']
[/quote]

It was a distraction anyway. That's why he had to address his team about it.
And he could have told Notre Dame that they would have to wait until after
the most important game of the season. Instead, he told the team he wasn't
going anywhere,he told them he wouldn't talk to Notre Dame even if they reached
out to him, yet he met them days before ect. He is as big of a douche bag
Coach as all the other douchebag coaches that were bashed for doing
the same shit recently.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 December 2009 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1260546567' post='840252']
They weren't ranked because College football is all about popularity contests.
[/quote]

exactly...

[quote]
To become one of the popular, you have to win consistently.
The foundation was already set before BK was hired. He helped
build upon that foundation. And UC has just as good of a chance
to make a BCS game as Texas, USC, Florida, Alabama and Oklahoma.
Win your conference and it is automatic.
[/quote]

11-1 Florida team and an 11-1 UC team neither won their conference... which one is getting the BCS bowl bid?

or

12-0 Florida team, 12-0 Texas team, and 12-0 UC team... which teams are getting the NC game shot? We can answer that too...

[quote]
Look, I know why BK took the Notre Dame job. He is Irish Catholic.
It was his dream job. They can pay more money ect. But UC is a
BCS school. And he could have built there what Notre Dame,
and the other "Big Name" schools have. He could have became
a Legend here. Now he is at a place where the pressure is on
immediately, and it is not the "best job in the Country", or you
wouldn't have the "Best Coaches in the Country" turning it down.
That is my point.
[/quote]

I agree that with the big-time job and big-time money comes big-time... no doubt.

But to say he'd build at UC what the Notre Dames, Floridas, etc. have - don't think so. But, yes, he could have been a legend at UC... could have had what Calipari had at Memphis... low pressure, easier schedule, own the conference, etc. no doubt about it.

[quote]
way. I do.
[/quote]

I agree with you one hundred and fifty thousand percent... don't lie to the players...

Nobody should begrudge him for accepting what is essentially a promotion. But, how he parted is what is wrong. I'm not even a UC fan and I'm pissed for the players because they get jerked around just however while the coach runs off to more millions.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='11 December 2009 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1260547710' post='840265']
11-1 Florida team and an 11-1 UC team neither won their conference... which one is getting the BCS bowl bid?

or

12-0 Florida team, 12-0 Texas team, and 12-0 UC team... which teams are getting the NC game shot? We can answer that too...

I agree that with the big-time job and big-time money comes big-time... no doubt.

But to say he'd build at UC what the Notre Dames, Floridas, etc. have - don't think so. But, yes, he could have been a legend at UC... could have had what Calipari had at Memphis... low pressure, easier schedule, own the conference, etc. no doubt about it.
[/quote]

You have to start building your program up sometime, somewhere.
To act like if Kelly or any Coach made UC a perrenial winner
and won National Titles, that they wouldn't be mentioned with
other schools is ridiculous. How do you think those schools got
to be at the head of the popularity contests?

Also, fuck the BCS. Get a damn Playoff system in place
so pollsters and shit don't determine who are the best
teams. Let them prove it on the field like every other
Sport does. But that is for another thread . . .

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 December 2009 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1260548443' post='840274']
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 December 2009 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1260548443' post='840274']
You have to start building your program up sometime, somewhere.
To act like if Kelly or any Coach made UC a perrenial winner
and won National Titles, that they wouldn't be mentioned with
other schools is ridiculous. How do you think those schools got
to be at the head of the popularity contests?

[/quote]

The Big East has no chance of competing with the top of the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, and the ACC. The big east is where coaches go to get promotions. Its a basketball conference, not a football conference. Its just the way college football is, its complete bullshit but thats how it is.

[quote name='bengals8580' date='12 December 2009 - 01:34 AM' timestamp='1260549273' post='840283']
The Big East has no chance of competing with the top of the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, and the ACC. The big east is where coaches go to get promotions. Its a basketball conference, not a football conference. Its just the way college football is, its complete bullshit but thats how it is.
[/quote]
While I get what you're saying... having a coach like Kelly stick around and build a dominant program would help to change this, in perception and reality. But it's not to be.. :(

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 December 2009 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1260546567' post='840252']

way. I do.
[/quote]

So, do you feel as betrayed when your team's favorite player leaves early for the NFL draft? They are betraying their word of honor to their teammates and coaches when they try to attain their dream job, yet no one comes off as so butt hurt when players do so as compared to coaches doing the exact same thing.

did anyone see the players reaction on ESPN, i don't blame them at all for hating on him. most of them walked out on him making his speech at the banquet. fuck him, the players said we were the ones on the field playing not him, he was calling the shots that's all. we will win this for you Cincinnati and that we won't disappoint. i think they're going to play this game to prove something. can't wait to see this game now.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='11 December 2009 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1260543895' post='840232']

[/quote]

I think a major reason behind UC not being ranked was that they lost 10 of 11 defensive starters from last year's team. Noone expected their defense to play as well as it did early on. But that doesn't change the fact that Texas was still ranked ahead of UC to begin the season and they didn't lose......thus the invite to play in the championship even though their schedule was weaker than UC's. I think college football, if they dont go to a playoff, should only rank teams after the first 6 wks or so of play. But that too is for another discussion.

I as a UC fan am not upset with Brian Kelly for wanting the ND job. It has more prestige and money (although the money he's making is not much more than his current salary). It was apparently his dream job. Good for him. Good for his family BUT the way he went about the situation was pretty low down. He lied to his players' face......repeatedly. He told them they would be the first to know. They were the last to know. He should have never told them that he was going to stay at UC and be the “Bobby Bowden” of UC. He will be known in the UC circle as a liar as opposed to leaving a legacy of building the foundations for UC to be a nationally respected program. He allowed everything that is wrong about college athletics to consume him and he willingly became a participant in “the game”……….after repeatedly admonishing the media for their role in “the game”. He talked about honor and integrity even in the ESPN interview with Chris Fowler after winning coach of the year.

I can't help but want him to fail at ND as a result.

As for coaching at the Sugar Bowl........the players don't want to be coached by Kelly. Good for them.

[quote name='Xombie' date='11 December 2009 - 12:02 PM' timestamp='1260550958' post='840293']
So, do you feel as betrayed when your team's favorite player leaves early for the NFL draft? They are betraying their word of honor to their teammates and coaches when they try to attain their dream job, yet no one comes off as so butt hurt when players do so as compared to coaches doing the exact same thing.
[/quote]

Are you really comparing a student athlete that is finally
able to get a job and earn money to a Coach that already
has a job and is earning money?

Also, I don't know of any Coaches that have been injured
and couldn't continue to follow their life's dream.

And I don't know of any players that lied to their team
and left them right before their biggest game of the season.

Butt hurt? hahaha.

Your post was stupid as fuck from beginning to end.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 December 2009 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1260555830' post='840314']
Are you really comparing a student athlete that is finally
able to get a job and earn money to a Coach that already
has a job and is earning money?

Also, I don't know of any Coaches that have been injured
and couldn't continue to follow their life's dream.

And I don't know of any players that lied to their team
and left them right before their biggest game of the season.

Butt hurt? hahaha.

Your post was stupid as fuck from beginning to end.
[/quote]

yeah WTF was that xombie guy talking about lol?

[quote name='bengals8580' date='10 December 2009 - 09:45 PM' timestamp='1260495950' post='839945']
If you thought he was gonna lose at ND then you wouldnt be so pissed off. Hopefully he left UC in a good position to make a hire that will keep the team near the same level theyve been at the past 2 years.
[/quote]

Obviously, you don't know much about UC. It's not the coach that makes this program. He just refines it. Sure its necessary to get a quality coach but we will. We always do. That's the difference between ND and UC. UC has the talent pool right in our own back yard. We don't have to go very far to recruit.

We make the coach, ...not the other way around.

Michigan State found that out and now Notre Dame will as well.

[quote name='IKOTA' date='11 December 2009 - 01:46 PM' timestamp='1260553578' post='840299']
I think a major reason behind UC not being ranked was that they lost 10 of 11 defensive starters from last year's team. Noone expected their defense to play as well as it did early on. But that doesn't change the fact that Texas was still ranked ahead of UC to begin the season and they didn't lose......thus the invite to play in the championship even though their schedule was weaker than UC's. I think college football, if they dont go to a playoff, should only rank teams after the first 6 wks or so of play. But that too is for another discussion.
[/quote]

Again... you're proving the point as well...

If Texas lost 10 of 11 starters from a BCS bowl team, you don't think they'd still be ranked at the preseason of the next year? Maybe a little lower, but they're still going to be ranked high. Just the way it is.

And, you saying they shouldn't even be allowed to rank teams for the first 6 weeks... thank you. I've been saying that for about 3-4 years. Inherently, those teams ranked highly in the preseason have an inherent advantage over those ranked much lower or not at all. Because it turns into one of those... well you're at #2 and you haven't lost, so you stay where you are... which is crap.

Archived