Kelly not coaching the Sugar Bowl....He has been hired by Notre Dame

bgwilly31

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='11 December 2009 - 04:43 PM' timestamp='1260558821' post='840339']
Again... you're proving the point as well...

If Texas lost 10 of 11 starters from a BCS bowl team, you don't think they'd still be ranked at the preseason of the next year? Maybe a little lower, but they're still going to be ranked high. Just the way it is.

And, you saying they shouldn't even be allowed to rank teams for the first 6 weeks... thank you. I've been saying that for about 3-4 years. Inherently, those teams ranked highly in the preseason have an inherent advantage over those ranked much lower or not at all. Because it turns into one of those... well you're at #2 and you haven't lost, so you stay where you are... which is crap.
[/quote]

I wasn't trying to disprove your point........I was just lending my observation and opinion to the conversation.

[quote]They weren't ranked because College football is all about popularity contests.
[/quote]

I think you proved his point.

Then you add on the realization if he didn't beat Pitt then he's back to the Papa John's bowl because UC doesn't have the support like other programs. They have to slash prices, wheel and deal to sell 40K seats.

There are many reasons why ND is always going to be a better job than UC. Heck, it is not even the best job in the conference.

[quote name='bengals8580' date='11 December 2009 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1260549273' post='840283']
The Big East has no chance of competing with the top of the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, and the ACC. The big east is where coaches go to get promotions. Its a basketball conference, not a football conference. Its just the way college football is, its complete bullshit but thats how it is.
[/quote]

Pretty much.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 December 2009 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1260555830' post='840314']
Are you really comparing a student athlete that is finally
able to get a job and earn money to a Coach that already
has a job and is earning money?

Also, I don't know of any Coaches that have been injured
and couldn't continue to follow their life's dream.

And I don't know of any players that lied to their team
and left them right before their biggest game of the season.

Butt hurt? hahaha.

Your post was stupid as fuck from beginning to end.
[/quote]

It is a perfect correlation, if you could separate your highly emotional state from any sort of logic you possess. Which is odd, as you generally seem the sort to not get overly menstrual. If I am a head coach of a college football team recruiting High School Superstar A, a no-miss quarterback prospect that is a prospective Heisman winner and a powerful enough component to make your team a legit contender for the 4 years he plays. You build your team around said prospect and you recruit the next couple of years based on what you have... Unfortunately, High School Superstar A is now Sophomore Superstar A and decides he wants to be Top Ten NFL Prospect Draftee Z and you now have a huge void at arguably the most important position of your team, the wide receiver you just recruited for next year's class now wants a transfer to USC, and you just lost about 13 or so coaches votes in the popularity contest that is college football. Guess what? the kid just sold his teammates and I out for his dream! Does that make him a bad person? According to you, it makes him a big, ol' douchebag poopyhead that should never achieve any sort of future success, and, hopefully, become impotent in his mid-twenties.

And how can you throw a 'What if' scenario about injuries and not living out dreams after lambasting someone about their aunts being being their uncles if they had different genitalia? That is the height of hypocrisy.

I didn't respond to you wanting to start an argument. My question was legitimate. My family members went apeshit when Rodriguez left West Virginia for Michigan, I just did not see why the big deal when players can break their de facto contracts, year in, year out, to make their lives better. So the 'butt hurt' comment was more an all-over assessment of the one-sided view most fans take. However, the 'butt hurt' comment seems to have hit a vein.

So, have a little class. If you disagree with me, feel free to do and debate the points with me; I am always happy to get another viewpoint. But the infantile shit you just posted is what I considered beneath you.

[quote name='Xombie' date='11 December 2009 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1260568558' post='840390']
It is a perfect correlation, if you could separate your highly emotional state from any sort of logic you possess. Which is odd, as you generally seem the sort to not get overly menstrual. If I am a head coach of a college football team recruiting High School Superstar A, a no-miss quarterback prospect that is a prospective Heisman winner and a powerful enough component to make your team a legit contender for the 4 years he plays. You build your team around said prospect and you recruit the next couple of years based on what you have... Unfortunately, High School Superstar A is now Sophomore Superstar A and decides he wants to be Top Ten NFL Prospect Draftee Z and you now have a huge void at arguably the most important position of your team, the wide receiver you just recruited for next year's class now wants a transfer to USC, and you just lost about 13 or so coaches votes in the popularity contest that is college football. Guess what? the kid just sold his teammates and I out for his dream! Does that make him a bad person? According to you, it makes him a big, ol' douchebag poopyhead that should never achieve any sort of future success, and, hopefully, become impotent in his mid-twenties.

And how can you throw a 'What if' scenario about injuries and not living out dreams after lambasting someone about their aunts being being their uncles if they had different genitalia? That is the height of hypocrisy.

I didn't respond to you wanting to start an argument. My question was legitimate. My family members went apeshit when Rodriguez left West Virginia for Michigan, I just did not see why the big deal when players can break their de facto contracts, year in, year out, to make their lives better. So the 'butt hurt' comment was more an all-over assessment of the one-sided view most fans take. However, the 'butt hurt' comment seems to have hit a vein.

So, have a little class. If you disagree with me, feel free to do and debate the points with me; I am always happy to get another viewpoint. But the infantile shit you just posted is what I considered beneath you.
[/quote]

No what if scenario here.

Fact, we have (2) excellent QB's next season. Zach Collaros is already being mentioned as a possible Heisman contender next season and the sports writers are already drooling over the kid. We already know Chaz Anderson is really good from when he filled in last season for Pike. We get quite a few players back. We shop in the same pool as OSU for recruits so even OSU's forgotten ones and leftovers are quality, ...are they not? ...or do you wish to argue their quality as well.

Face it, ...we make these coaches who they are because we make it so easy to recruit here. At some point, these schools looking for a new coach will figure it out and it won't be so easy for a coach to make a name and move on from here. Half of a coach's job is recruiting and we make that easy at UC.

Zach Collaros will be our starting QB next season, ...nuff said!

[quote name='Xombie' date='11 December 2009 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1260568558' post='840390']

[/quote]

Transfers for students are extremely infrequent; are you forgetting that players who transfer forteit a year of eligibility? This is why they almost always occur with backup players buried in the depth chart, who won't see the field at their current school and thus transfer to a program where they will play, usually a lesser team. I don't know of any situations where a key contributor left their current school to go to a big program; it's usually guys like Mitch Mustaine leaving the USCs of the world.

I think that if a player leaves school early for pro sport "X", that he should have to pay back his entire scholarship. I know people will call me old, old-fashioned, foolish, unrealistic, whatever, I don't really care.

I don't think coaches should be released from their contracts early to go to a "better" job (or at a bare minimum the NCAA should forbid prospective employers from entertaining a new coach until after his current teams' season is COMPLETELY OVER), I don't think collegiate athletes on scholarship should be allowed to leave early without some penalty, etc.

Set an example, NCAA, otherwise, your hypocritical money-whoring will only continue to grow.

Where did the patience go? The patience of fans, media, athletic departments, alumni, etc to actually give a fucking coach a chance to rebuild a program? This "win now" bullshit is part of the problem too. You're not going to take a program that's in relative disarray (no matter their reputation) and turn it around in one year, and if you do, it won't be JUST BECAUSE OF THE HEAD COACH.

The writing has been on the wall with Kelly for awhile now. The bottom line for me is that Kelly leaving was only a matter of time and I'm glad it's over. If he had stayed, it would have been a yearly "will he stay or will he go" situation and that would have been even worse, IMO. It's sad for UC because just as easily as they could hire the next Brian Kelly, they could also hire the next Steve Kragthorpe. There are no guarantees that the next coach will be able to keep things going and that is a shame.

While Kelly's actions in orchestrating his exit aren't quite on the level of Rich Rodriguez or Nick Saban, I think he is a weasel and I'm glad several of the players called him on his bullshit and lies. Something is very wrong when the coach of a 12-0 team playing in a BCS Bowl leaves before the bowl game to take another job. At the very least, contracts should mean something more than their buyout clause and coaches shouldn't be allowed to leave until the team's season is over.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='11 December 2009 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1260576343' post='840436']
I think that if a player leaves school early for pro sport "X", that he should have to pay back his entire scholarship. I know people will call me old, old-fashioned, foolish, unrealistic, whatever, I don't really care.

I don't think coaches should be released from their contracts early to go to a "better" job (or at a bare minimum the NCAA should forbid prospective employers from entertaining a new coach until after his current teams' season is COMPLETELY OVER), I don't think collegiate athletes on scholarship should be allowed to leave early without some penalty, etc.

Set an example, NCAA, otherwise, your hypocritical money-whoring will only continue to grow.

Where did the patience go? The patience of fans, media, athletic departments, alumni, etc to actually give a fucking coach a chance to rebuild a program? This "win now" bullshit is part of the problem too. You're not going to take a program that's in relative disarray (no matter their reputation) and turn it around in one year, and if you do, it won't be JUST BECAUSE OF THE HEAD COACH.
[/quote]

then all the athletes would skip college and go pro.

and schools would make no money from the sports with shitty athletes..

there would be huge minor leagues like the UFL for palyers to play and keep in shape and practice until eligible for NFL, who states what, gotta wait 2-3 years after high school or whatever..

the scholorships, whether finished or not, is a means to force these athletes to some schooling,

who cares if they dont finish it?

silly.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='11 December 2009 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1260582260' post='840451']
then all the athletes would skip college and go pro.

and schools would make no money from the sports with shitty athletes..

[/quote]
Then why does the NFL have a minimum age for entry that seems to hold up in court? Can't take that kind of thinking one step further?

[quote name='scharm' date='11 December 2009 - 04:43 PM' timestamp='1260564194' post='840361']
I think you proved his point.

Then you add on the realization if he didn't beat Pitt then he's back to the Papa John's bowl because UC doesn't have the support like other programs. They have to slash prices, wheel and deal to sell 40K seats.
[b]
There are many reasons why ND is always going to be a better job than UC. Heck, it is not even the best job in the conference.[/b]
[/quote]

im confused. uc raised prices and sold out every game. what wheels and deals? im jealous. it wasnt the best job in the conference but right now it is and will be for a few more years at least

[quote name='Xombie' date='11 December 2009 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1260568558' post='840390']

[/quote]

I think it is hilarious that you tell me to have a little class, after using the words
"butt hurt", "overly menstrual", "big ol douchebag poopyhead" and "infantile".

The only "bad" thing I said is your post was stupid as fuck, after it being
implied that I am "butt hurt".

Anyway,I don't think the two things are comparable, and I said as much in my first post.
If a college Coach gets a 5 star blue chip recruit, he and the fans pretty much know
the dude is going to leave early and maximize his draft stock. You think Sam Bradford
doesn't think he should have left early?

Also, it has been noted that if a player leaves early, he has to sit out a year and loses
that year. Coaches don't. Coaches are already gettting paid. Players aren't. Coaches
don't have to worry about injurying themselve and not being able to actually make money
at another job or level. Players do. Coaches sign a contract. Players get a scholarship.
They make Coaches have a buyout clause. They apply the scholarship to the next
blue chip recruit. Players come and go. You can't acquire them via free agency or sign
them off the street during the season. You only have a player a maximum of 4 years.
Coaches usually stay a lot longer, unless they really suck or are heading to the "dream job".

Also, I guess I should say it again since you seem to have missed it the other times.
I am not "butt hurt" because Kelly left for Notre Dame. I am disgusted and pissed
at the manner in which he left. He told his players he loved Cincy and wasn't going
anywhere. He told them he wouldn't talk to Notre Dame even if they did reach out to him.
He told them that they would be the first to know whatever he decided. He lied about
all of it. He even met with Notre Dame officials days before the biggest game of his coaching
career, even though he told his players he would not. And then he had the audacity to talk
about integrity and blah blah blah. That is why I think he is a "big ol douchebag poopy head".

He also left his team, players, assistants and fans hanging right before playing in one of
the biggest games in all of College football this season, not to mention his coaching career
and school history. Whether you think so or not, the players and fans DO have a right to
be pissed. And they are.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='11 December 2009 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1260576343' post='840436']
[/quote]

The schools are making millions of dollars off those players and if the
player leaves early, they can take that scholarship and apply it to
the next player in line. Why should the school benefit off that player
twice? And John Wall is only attending UK right now because he has
no other choice. You think he wouldn't have rather just went straight
to the NBA? You think when he helps Kentucky win, helps them make
millions, that he should have to pay them back for something he didn't
really want in the first place?

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 December 2009 - 07:49 AM' timestamp='1260535766' post='840176']
no coach in their right mind would have told the media, or his players, before the Pitt game that he was planning on interviewing for the ND job. It's the nature of the beast, as crappy as it is.[/quote]

He didn't have to tell them anything. And he sure didn't have to tell them one
thing and then do another either.

[quote]We're you calling Kelly a douchebag when he left Central Michigan before their bowl game? (and spare me the "but its a bcs bowl!" as central michigan has no shot of playing in that). I don't like it, you don't like it, but blame the schools for demanding it, not Kelly.[/quote]

UC had their coach just leave too. Also, CMU is not a BCS team, ND and UC both are.

[quote]I don't like that he's leaving, and I certainly don't like that he's leaving before the bowl game. But at the same time, I don't know if leaving before the bowl game was his choice, and I sure as hell am not going to blame the guy for going after his dream job. You all would do the same, and don't even pretend you wouldn't.

Not to mention, it's been reported that UC didn't put up much of a fight to keep him. [/quote]

This has nothing to do with anything I have said.
And UC couldn't "compete" with the things ND
was offering, even if they wanted to.
And great, don't blame, don't be pissed, don't do anything.
And don't act like you have a right to talk down to others
that do blame, are pissed and say/do something. OK?

[quote]Be disappointed, sure, but run around whining about it when the writing was on the wall and taking the time to twitter the guy and call him a douchebag for following his dream? Grow the fuck up.[/quote]

Disappointed is the emotion I feel for him leaving.
It does not even begin to describe the emotions for the manner in which he left.

I am not "whining" about it anymore than you are "whining" about what I am saying.

And it took me all of 30 seconds to send him a twitter message. Whoa.
And I couldn't care less about his dream. I hope it turns into a nightmare.

You act like if someone shows any kind of emotion or disgust that they are infantile.
I think I am just being human.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='12 December 2009 - 07:30 AM' timestamp='1260621055' post='840500']
The schools are making millions of dollars off those players and if the
player leaves early, they can take that scholarship and apply it to
the next player in line. Why should the school benefit off that player
twice? And John Wall is only attending UK right now because he has
no other choice. You think he wouldn't have rather just went straight
to the NBA? You think when he helps Kentucky win, helps them make
millions, that he should have to pay them back for something he didn't
really want in the first place?
[/quote]
These guys have a chance at a completely free education, something they should be grateful for and take full advantage of as a means of having a backup plan in case their pro ball career doesn't pan out.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='12 December 2009 - 08:27 AM' timestamp='1260624461' post='840502']
These guys have a chance at a completely free education, something they should be grateful for and take full advantage of as a means of having a backup plan in case their pro ball career doesn't pan out.
[/quote]

I know that. But it isn't really free when the College is raking in
money hand over fist at their expense. And a lot of the best players
only go to College because they have no other choice. LeBron, Kobe ect
skipped College and went straight to the NBA. Now players don't have that
option. And football players never did have that option.

[quote name='Jeb' date='11 December 2009 - 06:36 PM' timestamp='1260570973' post='840402']
No what if scenario here.

Fact, we have (2) excellent QB's next season. Zach Collaros is already being mentioned as a possible Heisman contender next season and the sports writers are already drooling over the kid. We already know Chaz Anderson is really good from when he filled in last season for Pike. We get quite a few players back. We shop in the same pool as OSU for recruits so even OSU's forgotten ones and leftovers are quality, ...are they not? ...or do you wish to argue their quality as well.

Face it, ...we make these coaches who they are because we make it so easy to recruit here. At some point, these schools looking for a new coach will figure it out and it won't be so easy for a coach to make a name and move on from here. Half of a coach's job is recruiting and we make that easy at UC.

Zach Collaros will be our starting QB next season, ...nuff said!
[/quote]

did you really just call Chaz Anderson an excellent QB??? geesh.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='12 December 2009 - 08:45 AM' timestamp='1260621932' post='840501']
He didn't have to tell them anything. And he sure didn't have to tell them one
thing and then do another either.

UC had their coach just leave too. Also, CMU is not a BCS team, ND and UC both are.

This has nothing to do with anything I have said.
And UC couldn't "compete" with the things ND
was offering, even if they wanted to.
And great, don't blame, don't be pissed, don't do anything.
And don't act like you have a right to talk down to others
that do blame, are pissed and say/do something. OK?

Disappointed is the emotion I feel for him leaving.
It does not even begin to describe the emotions for the manner in which he left.

I am not "whining" about it anymore than you are "whining" about what I am saying.

And it took me all of 30 seconds to send him a twitter message. Whoa.
And I couldn't care less about his dream. I hope it turns into a nightmare.

You act like if someone shows any kind of emotion or disgust that they are infantile.
I think I am just being human.
[/quote]

showing emotion is fine. Twittering the guy and calling him a douchebag? That IS infantile, anyway you try and slice it.

And btw, I love your CMU excuse. It's ok for UC to steal someone's coach and he's not a douchebag cuz UC didn't have a coach, but if he leaves for ND, who also doesn't have a coach, he's now a douchebag? Brilliant. :lol:

It's funny that you think I'm "talking down to you". Especially considering the way you talk to anyone who attempts to have a discussion with you on something you don't agree with.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='12 December 2009 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1260630165' post='840518']
showing emotion is fine. Twittering the guy and calling him a douchebag? That IS infantile, anyway you try and slice it. [/quote]

So his twitter is for only praising him?

If I had called him a douche to his face that wouldn't be infantile?

I really don't care what you think about me anyway.
You already made your feelings known.

[quote]And btw, I love your CMU excuse. It's ok for UC to steal someone's coach and he's not a douchebag cuz UC didn't have a coach, but if he leaves for ND, who also doesn't have a coach, he's now a douchebag? [/quote]

Can you read? Seriously?

Where have I called him a douchebag for going to Notre Dame?

I shouldn't have to tell you that there is a big difference between
going from a school that isn't a BCS school, that was about to play
in the Motor City Bowl, to a BCS school. And I don't think that compares
to having a team that is ranked #3 in the Nation, about to play in the
biggest game in not only Kelly's coaching career, not only in UC's history
but also in the entire NCAA this season, and lie, decieve and betray people
to go to a 6-6 school.

[quote]It's funny that you think I'm "talking down to you". Especially considering the way you talk to anyone who attempts to have a discussion with you on something you don't agree with.[/quote]

You did not address the topic, you addressed me addressing the topic.
I don't talk down to anyone. I respond accordingly to how I am being talked to.

I thought Kelly was a good coach but not a long term answer because you cant consistently win titles when you dont recruit, coach or focus on the defense. Kelly completely ignored the defense while he was here. He will struggle at ND because they will be playing USC year in and year out and they will make a team that plays 0 defense look bad along with some of the other teams he will face. They will be a lot like Weis' team, good O, bad D, mixed results.

I hope UC puts some effort into finding a coach that has interest in building a defense too. With the new facilities being built and a team on the rise all they need to do is bring in a good coach and they will keep the wave building. There is more talent on this team for next year than there is this year. They only lose 3 players that matter in Pike, Gilyard and Webster. They replace Pike with Collaros and i would rather Collaros start the Sugar Bowl anyways. They will replace Gilyard with Binns and Woods stepping up, Barnett back at WR and Hazelton who is a stud waiting his turn. Webster's replacement came in during the Illinois game when Frey got the concussion and he looked pretty good back there at safety and in the other games when he would give Frey and Webster breathers.

If UC continues to put up good seasons then they will be able to hold onto a coach in 5-10 years. WVU will be strong again. Pitt is a strong team. Uconn is up and coming. USF is getting close to becoming a team that can get in top 25 consistently. Rutgers should get a lot stronger since they found a damn good QB. And Charlie Strong should put UL back on the map. If the Big East continues to grow like it has the last 5 years for the next 5 years then the Big East will get the respect of other big conferences and become landing spots for coaches instead of places to stop at for a few years to move on. The issue has always been there is 1-3 strong teams in the Big East but then the drop off was massive. If they can close that gap then they will start getting the respect. Plus UC has some big time teams on its schedule the next few years which will assist in the view of the Big East if they do their job in them, same goes for Pitt and WVU and USF.

Archived