WR Antonio Bryant agrees to a 4 year deal with Bengals

[quote name='Bunghole' date='08 March 2010 - 12:23 AM' timestamp='1268025809' post='868242']
Bullshit.

Dude has one bad year on a really bad offense and he's done? Child, please.
[/quote]
It's not just that he had a bad season, he's 36 years old and will be 37 during the season. Receivers are historically not effective the older they get. TO may not be done but Bryant offers a lot more long term and will give you just as good if not better production.

Both are complete headcases though.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='08 March 2010 - 01:27 AM' timestamp='1268026050' post='868243']
It's not just that he had a bad season, he's 36 years old and will be 37 during the season. Receivers are historically not effective the older they get. TO may not be done but Bryant offers a lot more long term and will give you just as good if not better production.

Both are complete headcases though.
[/quote]
Exactly my sentiments.I wouldnt mind getting Owens,but if i had a choice i would take the much younger Bryant.

[size="5"][b]Bryant Leads Pack of Available WRs[/b]
[/size][size="2"]by Marc Hardin
[/size]Posted Mar 7, 2010

[b]The Bengals are looking at Antonio Bryant and Josh Reed as the best of the rest of a weak under-30 set among unrestricted free-agent wide receivers. Both fit the need for a speed receiver who can stretch the field and both come with baggage. Bryant's been bad when he's been good. Reed's been just plain bad.
[/b]

With Friday's signings of [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4833978"]Nate Burleson[/url] by the Detroit Lions and [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4833977"]Kevin Walter[/url] in a re-signing by the Houston Texans, the Bengals now are looking at [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4383111"]Antonio Bryant[/url], who turns 29 on Tuesday, and 29-year-old [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4347259"]Josh Reed[/url] as perhaps the best of a weak under-30 set among unrestricted free-agent wide receivers. Both Bryant and Reed fit the profile for a speed receiver who can stretch the field for the Bengals' offense, and both come with baggage.

Bryant, who has averaged over 15 yards per catch in his career, is by far the better of the two receivers, and he fits another familiar profile. He's had a troubled NFL career.

Bryant had clashes with his coaches, including Bill Parcells in Dallas and Mike Nolan in San Francisco. He was out of the league in 2007. In September of that year, Bryant was reinstated by the NFL but was not able to sign with a team, partly because of a failed drug test that summer. The next month, he filed a lawsuit against the NFL in an attempt to get the league to stop drug testing him since he was not a player at that time, and to drop the failed drug test. In December 2007, the case was resolved without the details being released by the league.

However, Bryant would fit the bill in Cincinnati, if he passes muster with the Bengals' brass (read Mike Brown), so there's a chance he could wind up in Bengals stripes. Bryant played in 13 games for Tampa Bay in 2009 with 39 catches for 600 yards (15.4 average) with four touchdowns in a horrible Buccaneers offense. Bryant, who has averaged 15.3 yards a catch in eight seasons, is due for his third 1,000-yard receiving season after posting 1,248 yards in 2008 and 1,005 in 2005.

Reed at the 2002 [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=546765"]NFL Combine[/url] ran the 40-yard dash in 4.54 seconds and the 10-yard shuttle in 3.96 seconds, but he's been a major disappointment in Buffalo, where his speed did not translate into the kind of impressive yards-per-catch totals Bryant has put up. Reed started just four games in 2009 and had 27 catches for 291 yards (10.8 average) and one lone touchdown. His best season was in 2008 with 56 catches for 597 yards (10.7 average) and one TD. He has averaged 11.5 yards per catch in eight seasons with a high of 14.0 on 32 catches in 2005.

The best of the rest of the available unrestricted receivers are over 30, including Chris Chambers (31), [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4332280"]Mike Furrey[/url] (32), [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4347067"]Muhsin Muhammad[/url] (36) and [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4222414"]Terrell Owens[/url] (37).

Chambers is the kind of home run threat the Bengals are looking for, with 14.4 yards per catch in his career. But Chambers played in just nine games last season for Kansas City. He recorded 36 catches for 608 yards (16.9 average) and four touchdowns. Prorated over 16 games, those figures would be 64 catches and 1,080 yards. Chambers' big issues are injuries and unreliability. He has averaged just nine games a season over the last five years after missing just two games in his first six years in the league.

Following the failed experiment with 30something [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4223497"]Laveranues Coles[/url], the Bengals don't figure to be too aggressive trying to sign a receiver over the age of 30 this time around during free agency, much less a broken-down receiver already in his 30s, however tempting Chambers' talent might be.

Furrey started 2009 at wide receiver for the Browns and had 23 catches for 170 yards, but was moved to nickelback and free safety because of injuries, and played in the secondary against the Bengals last season. He was one of three finalists for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award for 2010. As good a story as he is, don't expect him in Cincinnati. Furrey did have 98 catches for 1,086 yards (11.1 average) and six TDs in 2006 with Detroit.

It is also unlikely the Bengals go after Muhammad, who remained productive last season with 53 catches in 14 games for 581 yards (11.0 average) and a touchdown in his second season during his second stint in Carolina. Muhammad has been in the league since 1996, with three 1,000-yard seasons. Three of the past four seasons he's posted a per-catch average better than 14 yards.

Owen's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said the Bengals have contacted him about the veteran All-Pro receiver. Rosenhaus said on SIRIUS NFL Radio on Friday that "right now, I would say that everyone knows that the Cincinnati Bengals have expressed some interest in Terrell, and they have spoken with him and myself. Where we go from here I'm not sure, but I think it's at least a positive dialogue. And we represent another great receiver in Cincinnati in [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4223531"]Chad Ochocinco[/url] who would love to have No. 81 as his teammate. And we'll just see how that plays out. But certainly that's something that is a possibility. I guess that's about the most I can say right now."

Owens played in all 16 games for Buffalo in 2009 and totaled 55 catches for 829 yards (15.1 average) and five touchdowns, including one going for 99 yards. T.O., who has been heavily lobbied as a future Bengal by Chad Ochocinco, is not a perfect fit for the Bengals' need for a younger, speedy deep-threat receiver. But he'll do, according to Bengals quarterback [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4223564"]Carson Palmer[/url], who said he would have no problem throwing to Owens in 2010.

"I'd love to" play with Owens, Palmer told the Bengals' website. "If any QB can deal with extravagant (wide receivers), it's me."

Other than Bryant, who could be too expensive for the Bengals, the often controversial Owens may be the best thing going as far as remaining unrestricted free-agent receivers are concerned, now that Burleson and Walter are off the market.

[url="http://cin.scout.com/2/951964.html"]http://cin.scout.com/2/951964.html[/url]

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' date='07 March 2010 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1268020261' post='868223']
I don't think people rate Antonio Bryant high enough to call him overrated. Four different teams in 7 seasons is probably a sign that his value can't be all that high throughout the league.

To play devil's advocate, here's a list of the QB's who have thrown to Antonio Bryant:

Quincy Carter
Vinny Testaverde
Jeff Garcia
Kelly Holcomb
Trent Dilfer
Charlie Frye
Alex Smith
Shaun Hill
Brian Griese
Josh Freeman
Byron Leftwich
Josh Johnson

There's a lot of bums on that list and his career numbers don't seem all that bad when viewed in that light.
[/quote]

Calling him the "best" of what's left, to me, is overrating him.

Sure he has bum QBs. But the dude still has only 30 TD catches in his career. (since 2002)
T.O. has that many TD catches since 2007. And those numbers are supposed to show that
T.O. is on the "decline".

Give me T.O. for a year or 2 and a stud in the draft.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='08 March 2010 - 07:37 AM' timestamp='1268051875' post='868251']
[b]Calling him the "best" of what's left, to me, is overrating him.
[/b]
Sure he has bum QBs. But the dude still has only 30 TD catches in his career. (since 2002)
T.O. has that many TD catches since 2007. And those numbers are supposed to show that
T.O. is on the "decline".

Give me T.O. for a year or 2 and a stud in the draft.
[/quote]
Not admitting that he's the best of what's left is vastly overrating the rest of the free agent WR pool. Owens may be a better fit here but if you take the guys for what they are (a 29-year-old speedster with some issues; and a 37-year-old former speedster that has lost a step and has some issues) Bryant is clearly the better receiver today, not over the course of their entire careers. Of course Owens' career numbers are better than Bryant's, Owens has had a pro bowl quarterback everywhere he's been except for in Buffalo last season. Bryant's only pro bowl QB was Garcia, who was far past his prime by the time he was throwing to Bryant. Bryant put up pretty comparable numbers to Owens last season as far as YPC and he had a rookie throwing to him in a run first offense.
All that taken into account, I still think I would rather have Owens and a high draft pick. I would rather commit to Owens' baggage for one or two years than Bryant's for four or five. If the Bengals could get Bryant on a three-year deal he becomes a more attractive option IMO.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='08 March 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1268083986' post='868411']
Ugh.
[/quote]

I'm cool with T.O. or Bryant. I think Bryant will want more money than we are willing to pay. He'll be looking for at least a 3 year deal.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' date='08 March 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1268084294' post='868416']
Not admitting that he's the best of what's left is vastly overrating the rest of the free agent WR pool. Owens may be a better fit here but if you take the guys for what they are (a 29-year-old speedster with some issues; and a 37-year-old former speedster that has lost a step and has some issues) Bryant is clearly the better receiver today, not over the course of their entire careers. Of course Owens' career numbers are better than Bryant's, Owens has had a pro bowl quarterback everywhere he's been except for in Buffalo last season. Bryant's only pro bowl QB was Garcia, who was far past his prime by the time he was throwing to Bryant. Bryant put up pretty comparable numbers to Owens last season as far as YPC and he had a rookie throwing to him in a run first offense.
All that taken into account, I still think I would rather have Owens and a high draft pick.
[/quote]

That is your opinion. I think T.O. is the better reciever today.
And he is a better fit.

[quote name='Jeff Blake' date='08 March 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1268084303' post='868417']
I'm cool with T.O. or Bryant. I think Bryant will want more money than we are willing to pay. He'll be looking for at least a 3 year deal.
[/quote]

If they signed Bryant, I would have to embrace the move.
I much rather have T.O. though.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='08 March 2010 - 03:42 PM' timestamp='1268084520' post='868421']
I'd rather have Bryant because he can give you more than 1 season
[/quote]

I will worry about next year, next year. I want to win this year. And I think T.O. gives us the best chance over Bryant.

I would be fine with Bryant or TO but I prefer Bryant for a few reasons.

He would be more of a long term solution. I feel if they sign TO they would be right back in this same spot next year. Sign him to a one year deal and your looking for another guy to team with a year older Chad.

I know there is the worry about next year next year but I'm not sure you can do that when your other star WR is 32.

I also think Bryant will run the tough routes that we missed last year but still has deep threat speed. He's known as a bad guy but he also a tough SOB and every team can use that

[quote name='sparky151' date='08 March 2010 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1268084377' post='868418']
I'd prefer going the TO route, keeping the draft picks, and signing a good TE. Then we could draft BPA and get something like Graham,Iupati,Mays,Kindle in the first, probably get Demaryous Thomas in the 2nd, and a safety in the 3rd.
[/quote]

there are no draft picks involved with bryant.

[quote name='Rick' date='08 March 2010 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1268085067' post='868429']
I wonder why TO is not scheduled to visit the Bengals? With Bryant's visit on the calendar, that tells me the Bengals want Bryant as their FIRST choice for WR!
[/quote]

Maybe because the Bengals saw enough drops from Coles. T.O. is a great WR, but he drops A LOT of passes.

Bryant is 8 years younger than TO and only one year removed from an 83 catch 1,238 yd season. If his knees check out then he should be the #1 choice among free agent WRs.

[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][b][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/b][/url] [url=""] [/url] Filed to ESPN: Free agent WR Antonio Bryant is headed to Cincinnati for a visit tonight and tomorrow. He could be the Bengals WR.
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10190124813"]3 minutes ago [/url]via web

I'm think Bryant might be my prime choice. Don't have to give up a draft pick like we would for Marshall, is still young enough that it could be for more than one year, and I don't think there's much difference at this point between he and TO. Last year he was injured for a bit and had some pretty bad QBing, but we saw what he did with Jeff Garcia. Also have to figure he didn't get much practice time with Josh Freeman before he got in. I think he could be a great fit.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='08 March 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1268086839' post='868460']
I'm think Bryant might be my prime choice. Don't have to give up a draft pick like we would for Marshall, is still young enough that it could be for more than one year, and I don't think there's much difference at this point between he and TO. Last year he was injured for a bit and had some pretty bad QBing, but we saw what he did with Jeff Garcia. Also have to figure he didn't get much practice time with Josh Freeman before he got in. I think he could be a great fit.
[/quote]
That lego matrix thing is cool but it has got to go, slowing my browser up every time I click on a page you've commented on. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' date='08 March 2010 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1268088059' post='868476']
That lego matrix thing is cool but it has got to go, slowing my browser up every time I click on a page you've commented on. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
[/quote]
Mine too...similari to bengals9-85s stripper girl...

Archived