Taylor Mays is coming to Cincy for a visit

[quote name='oldschooler' date='02 April 2010 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1270256437' post='874867']
So him missing half a game, in which he sprained his ankle, in the 5th game of the season
sat out the 6th game, and that equals he did that on a busted up ankle, huh?

And Mays has now been compared to Bing, Ndukwe, Tomas Davis and Marvin White.

Oh, and a poor mans Roy Williams. LOL

He said he wasn't coached it. I posted it a couple of times already!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Mays had 4 INTs as a freshman. And he had 9 pass defenses as a Junior.
You think that shit was a fluke?
[/quote]
This is getting completely ridiculous. You take this quote: “In the NFL, you get paid to get interceptions. I wasn’t really coached to do that at USC,” and try to warp it into he wasn't coached into coverage techniques at USC. If you believe he wasn't coached this, you are naive as hell. What did they coach him then? Why even have coaches if you're not going to teach your starting free safety to cover? What do you think they coached him then???

Mays had 3 interceptions as a freshman, not 4. 2 in the next 3 seasons. Nearly half of those pass defenses (4 against Cal) in 2008 were in 1 game. 3 of his 6 passes defended in 2007 were in 1 game. Do you think the coaches threw him back there and said, "Son, we don't want you to intercept the ball or knock it away from the defender. If a receiver runs at you, let them pass by. Don't try and wrap up, just lower your shoulder and try to knock them out. Don't force any fumbles either while doing this." Oh and Ratliff put up great numbers in college, you think that was a fluke?

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='02 April 2010 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1270258554' post='874872']
This is getting completely ridiculous. You take this quote: "In the NFL, you get paid to get interceptions. I wasn't really coached to do that at USC," and try to warp it into he wasn't coached into coverage techniques at USC. If you believe he wasn't coached this, you are naive as hell. What did they coach him then? Why even have coaches if you're not going to teach your starting free safety to cover? What do you think they coached him then???

Mays had 3 interceptions as a freshman, not 4. 2 in the next 3 seasons. Nearly half of those pass defenses (4 against Cal) in 2008 were in 1 game. 3 of his 6 passes defended in 2007 were in 1 game. Do you think the coaches threw him back there and said, "Son, we don't want you to intercept the ball or knock it away from the defender. If a receiver runs at you, let them pass by. Don't try and wrap up, just lower your shoulder and try to knock them out. Don't force any fumbles either while doing this." Oh and Ratliff put up great numbers in college, you think that was a fluke?
[/quote]

You are got damn right it is getting ridiculous.
I swear I can not fucking wait for the draft to be over.
I hate this part of the offseason more than any other.

Buncha arm chair Scouts and GMs thinking they have all the answers
when the real scouts and GMs don't even have them. LOL

No Akili. I took it to mean exactly what he said.
The coaches didn't work with him on getting INTs.
They weren't looking for him to get them either.

They had him play back and most of the shit was thrown underneath.
Thus he didn't have a lot of chances to make plays on the ball.
When teams tested him in 2008, he made plays.
It really isn't that hard to understand. Or is it?

And Ratliff was a ball-hawk in College and sucked in the NFL.
What does that have to do with anything regarding Mays?

[quote name='oldschooler' date='02 April 2010 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1270256941' post='874868']
Pete Carroll wasn't their Defensive Co-ordinator.

It is like when people said shit about Marvin "supposededly" being a Defensive guru
and the Bengals Defense sucked. Marvin was still a Defensive guru. He just didn't
coach the damn Defense. Carroll called the plays. But he didn't coach them.

USC's D-coach Nick Holt, left to go to the Washington Huskies in 2009.

Mays lost a ton of talent in front of him and his Defensive co-ordinator.
His new coach, Rocky Seto, said and I quote "Taylor [Mays] has done a really nice job of staying on top and taking care of the deep ball."

He was asked to play off the line. Even more so this past season with a ton of new faces
and a new D-coach.
[/quote]

i don't know how much you know about usc's system, but if you did you'd understand how involved pete carroll is in EVERY aspect of the football program. i know they say that about a lot of college coaches, but this guy's involvement and energy is really something to be marveled. you can bet your ass those DBs and coaches are taught the pete carroll way. you ought to see him at a typical practice. he oversees each and every position group. it's nothing at all like pro ball where there's more designation to other coaches. pete stays on top of everything. pete came into the nfl as a DB coach and held that position for many years before moving up in the ranks. if there's any one part of the program he has his hands on more than anything else, you can bet your ass it's coaching the DBs.

BTW...do you remember pete coaching DBs at ohio state?

Now I am arguing over Pete Carroll? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/35.gif[/img]

OK Ed. If that [i]really[/i] is your name. LOL

Since Pete was/is such an involved coach, and such a great DB coach,
then why in the hell would he recruit and start, for 4 years nonetheless,
such a shitty overhyped Safety like Mays. And not only that, why would
he put him at Free Safety, when is so much better suited to play Strong Safety?
Why would he just have made him a LB?

I mean, the dude is an authority at the position and is so hands on.
Why would such a great coach that is so involved do such an assinine
thing to his team?

Save your answers for tomorrow. I am going to bed. Hopefully I don't
wake up until April 22nd. Wait, April 23rd would be even better . . .

[quote name='oldschooler' date='02 April 2010 - 09:26 PM' timestamp='1270257987' post='874871']
I know his history. I just said it to you in the post you quoted. LOL

He had a game high 13 tackles in his 3rd game back. So it wasn't too damn nagging was it?
Oh wait, it says in your link it was. Oh wait, no it doesn't. hahaha

He had some of his best games of the season after he returned from the ankle sprain.
[/quote]

ok, old. despite what is pretty much common knowledge in the college football world, history didn't take place. history is wrong and you are right. there was some other fucking reason why his stats were soooo goddamned sub-par to his previous season. it had nothing to do with his fucking busted up ankle.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='02 April 2010 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1270259998' post='874875']
Now I am arguing over Pete Carroll? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/35.gif[/img]

[/quote]

wow, now that's a childish retort! :rolleyes:

...not that i've ever said or claimed it was my name, OR not that i didn't.

how should i respond on such a level? how about my curiosity as to why you call yourself some sort of an "oldtimer", when in fact, you weren't even around when the "oldtimer bengals" existed, so you quite obviously couldn't have any knowledge of them? since we're apparently in the game of analyzing board names, just what does "oldtimer" mean in your case?

[quote name='oldschooler' date='02 April 2010 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1270259998' post='874875']

Since Pete was/is such an involved coach, and such a great DB coach,
then why in the hell would he recruit and start, for 4 years nonetheless,
such a shitty overhyped Safety like Mays. And not only that, why would
he put him at Free Safety, when is so much better suited to play Strong Safety?
Why would he just have made him a LB?

I mean, the dude is an authority at the position and is so hands on.
Why would such a great coach that is so involved do such an assinine
thing to his team?

Save your answers for tomorrow. I am going to bed. Hopefully I don't
wake up until April 22nd. Wait, April 23rd would be even better . . .
[/quote]

quite simple, simple. because he was the best candidate for the job. does that mean that i think he's exactly what we need with the 21st pick? NO!

just as we may find it's not what pete carroll thinks he needs with his 2 first round picks.

time will tell.

Taylor Mays is just such an intriguing guy at a real position of need for the Bengals. With his size,speed and fearsome hitting ability, how can you not get excited with his potential? I have to admit,though, that the draft "experts" who have been tearing Mays apart for the past few months have affected my enthusiasm about the guy's NFL prospects. Still, I trust Zimmer,ML and Kevin Coyle to make the call on Mays. I wonder how enthusiastic they really are? I'm sure they'll keep whatever they think really close to the vest until draft day.

[quote name='Tigris' date='01 April 2010 - 11:46 AM' timestamp='1270136815' post='874479']
Do you by chance have any of the short shuttles or cone drill times Mays did at the combine? I'd like to compare those to other safeties, especially the free safeties. I just don't see Mays having good numbers in those... again, too stiff in the hips.

I could try to find them I guess, but you seem to have a knack (sp.) for digging up anything.
[/quote]

from his pro day: S Taylor Mays (6-2 7/8, 223) had a 4.30 short shuttle and a 6.95 three-cone drill. He kept all of his other combine numbers.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/02/thomas-steps-above-the-crowd-at-uscs-pro-day/

Fwiw, Earl Thomas ran a 7.03 three-cone drill. I don't think he ran the short shuttle since he hurt his hamstring. Can't find a time.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='02 April 2010 - 09:45 PM' timestamp='1270259110' post='874873']
Buncha arm chair Scouts and GMs thinking they have all the answers
when the real scouts and GMs don't even have them. LOL
[/quote]

Pot, kettle, black?

And I'd be totally fine with Mays. But you're engaging in all this as much, if not more than, anyone else.

[quote name='bengaled' date='02 April 2010 - 09:26 PM' timestamp='1270261608' post='874880']
wow, now that's a childish retort! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]

...not that i've ever said or claimed it was my name, OR not that i didn't.

how should i respond on such a level? how about my curiosity as to why you call yourself some sort of an "oldtimer", when in fact, you weren't even around when the "oldtimer bengals" existed, so you quite obviously couldn't have any knowledge of them? since we're apparently in the game of analyzing board names, just what does "oldtimer" mean in your case?
[/quote]

Lighten up Francis.

I said LOL (which means Laugh Out Loud) because I was kidding.
To tell you the truth I always thought your ID meant like you have
been bengaled. Or like some say bengalized. You know, like a derogatory
term.

But I don't care what you call me.

And I was born in 1969. I don't think I am old. Just experienced.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='03 April 2010 - 04:16 AM' timestamp='1270286185' post='874906']
Pot, kettle, black?

And I'd be totally fine with Mays. But you're engaging in all this as much, if not more than, anyone else.
[/quote]

No, not, really.

I am engaging basically over one player. And I am not doing mocks or acting like I
know this player is better than that player. I like Mays and think Zimmer could get the most out of him.
I think it is retarded to call him a bust before he is even drafted. But I won't be pissed if we
picked Thomas over Mays. I have said 100 times that whoever Zimmer wants is who I want.
Zimmer > Me.

So you see, there is a difference.

And I really tried to sleep til the 22nd.

[quote name='Lucid' date='02 April 2010 - 05:14 PM' timestamp='1270242868' post='874829']
Yeah, and that just might include talking a guy down to create a buzz, which just might give enough people doubts to give your team a chance at him that they never would have had otherwise.

I'm not saying this is what is happening, but it wouldn't be the first time.
[/quote]

True.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='02 April 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1270243254' post='874830']
I think it is very ridiculous. Why aren't the same bust concerns placed on Berry or Thomas?
Keiwan Ratliff was a ball-hawking play making CB in the SEC. He was a bust.

Hell, you said Thomas was a "for sure thing". So you obviously don't think he could be a bust.
But what they did in College means nothing when they move up to the next level.

The draft isn't an exact science. And their are no "for sure" things.

They are called prospects for a reason. And they are given grades in particular rounds for a reason.

Hell, I just posted a quote from Mays Agent saying that Polamalu had 1 INT his Senior season
playing under the same coach. You want to tell me he isn't a play making Safety, even though
he didn't make a whole lot of big plays in College? I didn't think so.
Yet Polamalu had 68 tackles, 1 interception,4 pass defenses his Senior season.

Who the hell do you think has been mentioning Mays as one of the top prospects at his position
and as a 1st round pick? The same motherfuckers. They talk out of both sides of their mouths.

I think they are overly negative on Mays because he didn't make a lot of big plays.
And because his size, speed, work ethic and NFL bloodlines makes them think he
is too good to be true. So they talk about him like he can't do something. Even though
it was because he wasn't asked/coached to do something.
[/quote]

If there are no "for sure" guys, how is it asinine to compare Mays to a busted player? You said it twice now about it being crazy to compare Mays to a busted player... but then everyone can bust???

And, for the sake of "Mays wasn't coached to do that" - what if Polamalu wasn't coached to get INTs (which by the way is the almost the most ridiculous thing I've read ever concerning defensive backs, corner of safety).

Every player is going to have guys who write them off and label them as bust prospects. I'm sure Thomas and Berry have them. For me? We have no shot at Berry, I know nothing about the guy except he and Tebow train-wrecked once on the field. You already know what I think of Thomas.

For a first round pick, wouldn't you want a guy who is going to get the ball back for you in one play rather than a guy who is going to make a big hit for you a couple times a game? On defense... what's the biggest play you can have? A Turnover. Earl Thomas gets the ball... Taylor Mays doesn't.

[quote name='bengaled' date='02 April 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1270254282' post='874863']
old, are you aware that troy played his entire senior year on a busted up ankle? this, more than anything else, resulted in his sub-par stats. the argument his agent, and you, are making in reference to him (troy), doesn't hold water. mays is a good prospect. i think we all can agree on that. the concern many have is with all the question marks on him, and you'd have to admit there seem to be many, is he the best pick we could make at 21? [b]personally, i think if we take a safety that high, i want more of an established ball-hawk in the passing game vs. a crunching hit marvin white type safety.
[/quote][/b]

I should have just wrote "TESTIFY" or whatever some of you guys do before I posted my last little tidbit.

[quote name='Tigris' date='03 April 2010 - 07:20 AM' timestamp='1270297215' post='874911']
If there are no "for sure" guys, how is it asinine to compare Mays to a busted player? You said it twice now about it being crazy to compare Mays to a busted player... but then everyone can bust???[/quote]

It's not asinine, if you are going to compare THEM ALL to a bust.
You and a lot of others are singling Mays out like he is
a for sure bust. That's why you are comparing him to
players that are busts. And I think that is ridiculous.

Maybe you will get what I am saying this time.

[quote]And, for the sake of "Mays wasn't coached to do that" - what if Polamalu wasn't coached to get INTs (which by the way is the almost the most ridiculous thing I've read ever concerning defensive backs, corner of safety).[/quote]

He said it. His coach even said it. They had him play the deep middle and
most of his opponents threw shit underneath. They didn't put him in
position to make plays. What is so hard to understand?

[quote]Every player is going to have guys who write them off and label them as bust prospects. I'm sure Thomas and Berry have them. For me? We have no shot at Berry, I know nothing about the guy except he and Tebow train-wrecked once on the field. You already know what I think of Thomas.[/quote]

Really? I have not seen anyone say anything about Thomas or Berry being bust prospects.
Just the opposite really. I see them being compared to Polamalu and Reed.

I see Mays being compared to Gholston, Bing, Davis and being called a poor mans Roy Williams.

[quote]For a first round pick, wouldn't you want a guy who is going to get the ball back for you in one play rather than a guy who is going to make a big hit for you a couple times a game? On defense... what's the biggest play you can have? A Turnover. Earl Thomas gets the ball... Taylor Mays doesn't.[/quote]

*sigh*

Let me say this one last time because this is beyond redundant.

I would love to have either. Whichever player Zimmer prefers (if he even chooses either)
then I will be more than happy with and will support that player to the fullest.
Again, Zimmer > Me.

But I think Mays is a better prospect than what his College stats show.
I have followed the NFL and the draft long enough to know that just because
a player did something in the NCAA, does not mean that he will be that way in
the NFL. I think Mays has the athleticism, work ethic and tools to be a stud.
And I think Zimmer could make him an All-Pro.

If he picked Thomas. Then I think he can make him an All-Pro too.

I just have a personal preference.

The reason I am on the Taylor Mays bandwagon so hard here is because
some people hate on him so hard because some "expert" said so.
They are already putting a bust label on him. And unless you have some
crystal fucking ball, I think it's ridiculous.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='03 April 2010 - 08:39 AM' timestamp='1270298349' post='874914']
It's not asinine, if you are going to compare THEM ALL to a bust.
You and a lot of others are singling Mays out like he is
a for sure bust. That's why you are comparing him to
players that are busts. And I think that is ridiculous.

Maybe you will get what I am saying this time.

He said it. His coach even said it. They had him play the deep middle and
most of his opponents threw shit underneath. They didn't put him in
position to make plays. What is so hard to understand?

Really? I have not seen anyone say anything about Thomas or Berry being bust prospects.
Just the opposite really. I see them being compared to Polamalu and Reed.

I see Mays being compared to Gholston, Bing, Davis and being called a poor mans Roy Williams.

*sigh*

Let me say this one last time because this is beyond redundant.

I would love to have either. Whichever player Zimmer prefers (if he even chooses either)
then I will be more than happy with and will support that player to the fullest.
Again, Zimmer > Me.

But I think Mays is a better prospect than what his College stats show.
I have followed the NFL and the draft long enough to know that just because
a player did something in the NCAA, does not mean that he will be that way in
the NFL. I think Mays has the athleticism, work ethic and tools to be a stud.
And I think Zimmer could make him an All-Pro.

If he picked Thomas. Then I think he can make him an All-Pro too.

I just have a personal preference.

The reason I am on the Taylor Mays bandwagon so hard here is because
some people hate on him so hard because some "expert" said so.
They are already putting a bust label on him. And unless you have some
crystal fucking ball, I think it's ridiculous.
[/quote]

Okay, so you're saying Taylor Mays played deep in their scheme? This would make him playing free safety most, if not all of the time. The free safety position is geared more for coverage, agreed... they're taught to intercept the ball ofirst and then if that's not an option in making the play, you knock it down... if you can't do that, you get yourself in position to make the tackle so he doesn't score. If he played deep out of the play like you're suggesting, that guy is either playing one of 4 things... he's in a cover 1,2,3,4. The dude isn't playing man if he's 20-25 yards off the ball. If he is playing man, there is a problem at USC - and them being a powerhouse, I don't see that being the case. In 1 (which seems like what you're saying he plays - a guy just way far back), the dude is basically roaming taking the deepest guy and helping out over top. He is there to pick it off and make a play on the ball. He's not assigned a man game because they want him in position to not cover the guy, but to get the ball back for the offense.

You don't have to lay it out for me, I understand what you are saying. No safety is EVER back there and coached not to pick the ball off and just to run around hitting people. Also, if a team wants to keep shit underneath, you run more of a cover 2,3,4... something like that. The one safety deep is vulnerable to the big play. In USC's defense, Mays was fast enough to cover most the field so they only had one guy back there. That keeps another guy up front to blitz, fill holes, whatever... which means they QB has to get rid of the ball quicker... which means Mays only has to make one read on the QB and get to the ball. USC had it planned out and used Mays PERFECTLY. In the pros, when your QB gets a nice pocket to sit in, Mays will have to be much more of shifter (like Thomas) than straight line runner to get to the ball. Mays back there with an NFL receiver while a QB sits nice and cozy in a pocket = TD offense. They had him back because he can't play man on anyone.

I never said he was going to be a for sure bust. I think the only thing I've said is that he can't move like a first rounder/playmaker/elite starting safety should move. I know I said I'd definitely prefer Thomas... and if we take Mays with #21 with Bryant, Iupati, Weatherspoon, Thomas x2 on the board, we're going to regret it in the worse way possible.

Notre Dame didn't give two shits about going over Mays' head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFa4aEsZzzw

Very quick... at :26 is what happens when the receiver has yet to get the ball and Mays is on the hunt. Knowing that Mays, as a safety, will be covering guys without the ball more than with the ball, it's going to cause a problem. This wasn't even down field either. The dude is going to be such a liablity in coverage.

Also, for the sake of who is best fit for this team... don't we already have a crap ton of strong safeties????? Crocker, Ndukwe, Williams... ive me aa free safety PLEASE!!!

[quote name='Tigris' date='03 April 2010 - 08:14 AM' timestamp='1270300442' post='874916']
Okay, so you're saying Taylor Mays played deep in their scheme? This would make him playing free safety most, if not all of the time. The free safety position is geared more for coverage, agreed... they're taught to intercept the ball ofirst and then if that's not an option in making the play, you knock it down... if you can't do that, you get yourself in position to make the tackle so he doesn't score. If he played deep out of the play like you're suggesting, that guy is either playing one of 4 things... he's in a cover 1,2,3,4. The dude isn't playing man if he's 20-25 yards off the ball. If he is playing man, there is a problem at USC - and them being a powerhouse, I don't see that being the case. In 1 (which seems like what you're saying he plays - a guy just way far back), the dude is basically roaming taking the deepest guy and helping out over top. He is there to pick it off and make a play on the ball. He's not assigned a man game because they want him in position to not cover the guy, but to get the ball back for the offense.

You don't have to lay it out for me, I understand what you are saying. No safety is EVER back there and coached not to pick the ball off and just to run around hitting people. Also, if a team wants to keep shit underneath, you run more of a cover 2,3,4... something like that. The one safety deep is vulnerable to the big play. In USC's defense, Mays was fast enough to cover most the field so they only had one guy back there. That keeps another guy up front to blitz, fill holes, whatever... which means they QB has to get rid of the ball quicker... which means Mays only has to make one read on the QB and get to the ball. USC had it planned out and used Mays PERFECTLY. In the pros, when your QB gets a nice pocket to sit in, Mays will have to be much more of shifter (like Thomas) than straight line runner to get to the ball. Mays back there with an NFL receiver while a QB sits nice and cozy in a pocket = TD offense. They had him back because he can't play man on anyone.

I never said he was going to be a for sure bust. I think the only thing I've said is that he can't move like a first rounder/playmaker/elite starting safety should move. I know I said I'd definitely prefer Thomas... and[b] if we take Mays with #21 with Bryant, Iupati, Weatherspoon, Thomas x2 on the board, we're going to regret it in the worse way possible.
[/b]
Notre Dame didn't give two shits about going over Mays' head.
[/quote]

[IMG]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3856/bangheadagainstwall.gif[/IMG]

I am sure some teams didn't give 2 shits about going over a lot of players heads.
You act like Mays is the only college Safety to ever give up a big play or a TD.

Hell, Thomas costed his team a shot at the National Championship in 2008.

Mays had 3 INTs as a freshman. He had 9 pass Defenses as a Junior.
When he was put in a position to make plays, he did.

Most of the shit was underneath though. So instead of getting a lot
of chances at INT or pass defenses. He got tackles.

But really, if Mays sucks as bad as some of you say, then why the hell would a former DB
coach, that has all of his College film, has interviewed him, has seen his combine
workout and Pro Day workout, even bother bringing him in for a visit?

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='02 April 2010 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1270254993' post='874865']
What are you talking about? How was I off base by saying Rey shouldn't be picked 6th? Clearly I wasn't since he dropped to the 2nd round. Do you think he played like a 6th pick this season? I didn't say anything about Mays in that post.

I've never once said Mays isn't worth a 1st round pick. I just don't want him to be our pick because I think he is never going to live up to his hype, just like he did at USC. Same as Gholston and other people who I thought would be busts. They are worth the pick because of their potential. Whether I believe they will reach that potential is another story. Just like Bradford. Is he worth the #1 pick like everyone is projecting? Probably, because he has the tools to be a good QB. Do I think he's going to be a good player? Heck no.
[/quote]

I think you know your point extended past just not taking Rey at 6. That's silly if you are really going to try to hold on to that. You smeared the dude all the way up to draft day and also smeared the thought of the Bengals taking a LB. Then if I recall correctly held on to this idea that he would not see the field until the 2nd half of the season. Rey's play last season confirmed that alot of teams made a mistake not taking him in the first. Good for Bengals.

As for Taylor, what hype? We draft 21. Gholston was top 10 pick. The Bengals are not drafting top 10 this year.

[quote name='scharm' date='03 April 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1270301692' post='874919']
I think you know your point extended past just not taking Rey at 6. That's silly if you are really going to try to hold on to that. You smeared the dude all the way up to draft day and also smeared the thought of the Bengals taking a LB. Then if I recall correctly held on to this idea that he would not see the field until the 2nd half of the season. Rey's play last season confirmed that alot of teams made a mistake not taking him in the first. Good for Bengals.

As for Taylor, what hype? We draft 21. Gholston was top 10 pick. The Bengals are not drafting top 10 this year.
[/quote]
Your recalling is really wrong. I said he is not worth the 6th pick because of his character concerns and coverage ability. Well he was not good in coverage this season and already arrested once. I never said he wouldn't be the starter. I never said we shouldn't take a linebacker. He did not play like a 1st rounder IMO. He was a solid starter but wasn't really spectacular. I actually own a Maualuga jersey too by the way. I have high hopes for him and think he will be better in the middle.

So players aren't hyped unless they are top 10 picks now? Mays used to be, until everyone watched his tape.

[quote name='Tigris' date='03 April 2010 - 09:22 AM' timestamp='1270300977' post='874917']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFa4aEsZzzw

Very quick... at :26 is what happens when the receiver has yet to get the ball and Mays is on the hunt. Knowing that Mays, as a safety, will be covering guys without the ball more than with the ball, it's going to cause a problem. This wasn't even down field either. The dude is going to be such a liablity in coverage.

Also, for the sake of who is best fit for this team... don't we already have a crap ton of strong safeties????? Crocker, Ndukwe, Williams... ive me aa free safety PLEASE!!!
[/quote]

taking bad angles can be coached out of you though. Can they not?

I really don't know why this thread is still going on. It comes down to this:

Do you want a safety who is strong against the run and ok against the pass or a safety who is strong against the pass and ok against the run.

Strong cases can be made for both players and both can be the right answer. It's becoming a passing league, but we're still a run-heavy division. Which do you gear up for? Marvin always says the first goal is to win the division, but part of that is of course coach speak.

And lets be honest, one of them isn't even going to be there when we pick, so I don't know why we're even discussing him.

[quote name='Tigris' date='03 April 2010 - 08:22 AM' timestamp='1270300977' post='874917']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFa4aEsZzzw"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vFa4aEsZzzw[/url]

[/quote]

The bad angles are shit that can be coached.

Crocker plays FS. Williams has played in 7 games the past 2 years.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='03 April 2010 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1270303253' post='874927']
**cough** Cedrick Ellis **cough**
[/quote]

Geez, you even spelled his name wrong.

You spelled cough right though. So you've got that going for you . . .

Archived