Taylor Mays is coming to Cincy for a visit

[quote name='Tigris' date='03 April 2010 - 09:22 AM' timestamp='1270300977' post='874917']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFa4aEsZzzw

Very quick... at :26 is what happens when the receiver has yet to get the ball and Mays is on the hunt. Knowing that Mays, as a safety, will be covering guys without the ball more than with the ball, it's going to cause a problem. This wasn't even down field either. The dude is going to be such a liablity in coverage.

Also, for the sake of who is best fit for this team... don't we already have a crap ton of strong safeties????? Crocker, Ndukwe, Williams... ive me aa free safety PLEASE!!!
[/quote]

how do you feel about the play at :50?

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='03 April 2010 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1270303304' post='874928']
if you're in love with the guy, shouldn't you be able to spell his name? :P
[/quote]

[quote name='oldschooler' date='03 April 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1270303326' post='874929']
Geez, you even spelled his name wrong.

You spelled cough right though. So you've got that going for you . . .
[/quote]

I thought it was quite an excellent self-jape.

[quote name='scharm' date='03 April 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1270301692' post='874919']
I think you know your point extended past just not taking Rey at 6. That's silly if you are really going to try to hold on to that. You smeared the dude all the way up to draft day and also smeared the thought of the Bengals taking a LB. Then if I recall correctly held on to this idea that he would not see the field until the 2nd half of the season. Rey's play last season confirmed that alot of teams made a mistake not taking him in the first. Good for Bengals.

[/quote]

you couldn't be more wrong. i clearly remember akili saying he wouldn't mind taking rey in the 2nd round, just not the 1st. akili was also one of the few who correctly recognized rey had better INSTANT potential at SLB, rather than MLB. there were so many of you who just refused to see that. when zimmer did just that, it only confirmed everything i and he had said about rey.

now perhaps you are incorrectly stating a view of akili's that it would take at least the middle of the year, or more, to start at MLB. i can't comment on that position because i don't recall that conversation.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='03 April 2010 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1270301118' post='874918']
[IMG]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3856/bangheadagainstwall.gif[/IMG]

I am sure some teams didn't give 2 shits about going over a lot of players heads.
You act like Mays is the only college Safety to ever give up a big play or a TD.

Hell, Thomas costed his team a shot at the National Championship in 2008.

Mays had 3 INTs as a freshman. He had 9 pass Defenses as a Junior.
When he was put in a position to make plays, he did.

Most of the shit was underneath though. So instead of getting a lot
of chances at INT or pass defenses. He got tackles.

But really, if Mays sucks as bad as some of you say, then why the hell would a former DB
coach, that has all of his College film, has interviewed him, has seen his combine
workout and Pro Day workout, even bother bringing him in for a visit?
[/quote]
Old, I've seen you post the 3int's and 9 pass defensed thing a few times as if
these were something to hang his hat on. I hope you don't think these stats are
supportive of a top 2-3 safety. The funny thing is you have to pull these stats
from different years to make it look remotely ok. In comparison and I don't know
it the Sporting News has it right but Thomas had 8 int's and 24 pass defensed this
past year alone. Really, his only problem is production. I'd rather take a more
proven, productive player regardless of position. I still think the Bengals will
take a either LB, DE or Corner with the 1st pick..

[quote name='oldschooler' date='03 April 2010 - 07:28 AM' timestamp='1270294110' post='874908']
Lighten up Francis.

I said LOL (which means Laugh Out Loud) because I was kidding.
To tell you the truth I always thought your ID meant like you have
been bengaled. Or like some say bengalized. You know, like a derogatory
term.

[/quote]

nothing that spooky. my name is ed....bengal ED

[quote name='Dumall' date='03 April 2010 - 09:30 AM' timestamp='1270305046' post='874939']
Old, I've seen you post the 3int's and 9 pass defensed thing a few times as if
these were something to hang his hat on. I hope you don't think these stats are
supportive of a top 2-3 safety. The funny thing is you have to pull these stats
from different years to make it look remotely ok. In comparison and I don't know
it the Sporting News has it right but Thomas had 8 int's and 24 pass defensed this
past year alone. Really, his only problem is production. I'd rather take a more
proven, productive player regardless of position. I still think the Bengals will
take a either LB, DE or Corner with the 1st pick..
[/quote]

So now Mays isn't a top 2 or 3 Safety? LOL

Why the hell are the Bengals wasting their time with such a scrub?

Pete Carroll former DB coach. Zimmer former DB, yet both either
recruited him for their team or have interest in drafting him for
their team.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='03 April 2010 - 10:39 AM' timestamp='1270305543' post='874941']

their team.
[/quote]

could be they will draft him...could be they're just wanting to get a closer look, too. then again, it also could be they're protecting where their real interest lies by bringing him in to not reveal their hand. i guess we'll know on the 22nd. one thing we do know for certain, anything at this point is ALL supposition.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='03 April 2010 - 10:39 AM' timestamp='1270305543' post='874941']

their team.
[/quote]
It's quite possible 3 safetys will go before him. I stand by
my statement that he is no different than Ndukwe. You think
Mays could do better than 89 tackles 2 sacks and 1 int? (This
is Ndukwe's numbers) I don't think he can and his history
suggests I am right. No way do I use 1st round pick when
current 7th rounder is the same player..

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='03 April 2010 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1270302590' post='874922']
Your recalling is really wrong. I said he is not worth the 6th pick because of his character concerns and coverage ability. Well he was not good in coverage this season and already arrested once. I never said he wouldn't be the starter. I never said we shouldn't take a linebacker. He did not play like a 1st rounder IMO. He was a solid starter but wasn't really spectacular. I actually own a Maualuga jersey too by the way. I have high hopes for him and think he will be better in the middle.

So players aren't hyped unless they are top 10 picks now? Mays used to be, until everyone watched his tape.
[/quote]

So I guess you can own a Taylor Mays jersey this year. I think my recollection is more accurate than you think as you went back and forth about Rey kinda like you are with Mays with alot of people.

Yeah he did play like a first rounder. What do you think a first rounder is? Your crazy if you think Rey's rookie season can't compare to other rookies taken in the first round in 2009.

Maybe that's part of your problem, you have some weird assumption about what exactly a first round pick should do.

[quote name='Dumall' date='03 April 2010 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1270306513' post='874947']
It's quite possible 3 safetys will go before him. I stand by
my statement that he is no different than Ndukwe. You think
Mays could do better than 89 tackles 2 sacks and 1 int? (This
is Ndukwe's numbers) I don't think he can and his history
suggests I am right. No way do I use 1st round pick when
current 7th rounder is the same player..
[/quote]

I love Ndukwe, I think he is underrated, but I think this is crazy talk. This safety class is loaded by all accounts and so Mays maybe 3rd in an outstanding class but I think any team taking him is thinking more highly about him than Ndukwe. Mays isn't going to last to the 7th round.

[quote name='scharm' date='03 April 2010 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1270307191' post='874954']
I love Ndukwe, I think he is underrated, but I think this is crazy talk. This safety class is loaded by all accounts and so Mays maybe 3rd in an outstanding class but I think any team taking him is thinking more highly about him than Ndukwe. Mays isn't going to last to the 7th round.
[/quote]

x2.

I really thought Ndukwe came on towards the end of last year, but he certainly isn't beyond being upgradeable.

[quote name='scharm' date='03 April 2010 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1270307191' post='874954']
[/quote]
Never said Mays would last to the 7th round. Just comparing what we
currently have to what this topic is about. Crazy talk? Then elaborate
on how Mays is going to do better than Ndukwe in our system. Just because
someone is projected top 3 safety doesn't mean they would be a upgrade
to what we currently have. I have given Ndukwe's stats that I believe
were in 12 or 13 starts. Mays history suggests he can't even reach
Ndukwes production. So why again would we draft him in the 1st round?

[quote name='Dumall' date='03 April 2010 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1270307676' post='874956']
[/quote]

really, you're arguing a first round pick can outperform a backup? Regardless of the players, that's just silly.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='03 April 2010 - 08:56 AM' timestamp='1270303010' post='874925']
The bad angles are shit that can be coached.

Crocker plays FS. Williams has played in 7 games the past 2 years.
[/quote]

Then why wasn't it coached out of him in 4 years at USC?

Wow. I can't believe that we are debating whether or not Mays is worthy of the 21st pick in the draft. This kid was a four year starter at one of the best football programs in the country, and a three time all-american. Now if we were picking in the top ten, I would probably look at a few other players, but at 21, Mays would not be a bad addition. If the Bengals and coach Zimmer think he's the best player available at 21, then I'm on board. But I can't believe that some of you act like it would be utterly stupid to pick this kid at 21. That to me is utterly stupid.

[quote name='Dumall' date='03 April 2010 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1270307676' post='874956']
[/quote]

I'm just trying to say you can take what Ndukwe has proven in the NFL and place him in this draft and Taylor Mays would still be selected before him.

Reality is stats for a defensive player can be overrated if you take them at face value. What I would think Mays would upgrade if put in a head to head competition would be ultimately cutting a ball carrier down quicker. I think you would get more big plays from Mays.

I'm not trying to cut down Ndukwe either but Roy Williams is going to start in front of him. The Bengals have signed Roy twice with Ndukwe on the roster, so I'm not sure why you think a player like Mays has no chance to upgrade the spot over Ndukwe, considering Ndukwe is being bumped out of the starting line up by the team that drafted him.

It's crazy talk. Ndukwe isn't even a lock to start.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='03 April 2010 - 11:59 AM' timestamp='1270310386' post='874960']
really, you're arguing a first round pick can outperform a backup? Regardless of the players, that's just silly.
[/quote]
Then I need someone to explain to me what makes them think Mays is better than Ndukwe at this moment.
We have seen what Mays can do in 4 years at usc which amounted to very avg. production. Nudkwe's numbers
in about 13 starts this year was 89 tackles 2 sacks and a interception. What then in your view would make
Mays better given their production. This is why I find it foolish to consider him as your no. 1 pick. There
is hardly any production..

[quote name='Dumall' date='03 April 2010 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1270334602' post='875065']
Then I need someone to explain to me what makes them think Mays is better than Ndukwe at this moment.
We have seen what Mays can do in 4 years at usc which amounted to very avg. production. Nudkwe's numbers
in about 13 starts this year was 89 tackles 2 sacks and a interception. What then in your view would make
Mays better given their production. This is why I find it foolish to consider him as your no. 1 pick. There
[/quote]
But he's strong, fast, ripped, and hits like a semi truck!!

[quote name='Dumall' date='03 April 2010 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1270334602' post='875065']
We have seen what Mays can do in 4 years at usc [b]which amounted to very avg. production.[/b] Nudkwe's numbers
[/quote]

very average production by whose standards? yours?

[quote name='Dumall' date='03 April 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1270334602' post='875065']
[/quote]

You misspelled Dumbass when you were creating your ID.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='03 April 2010 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1270340221' post='875078']
very average production by whose standards? yours?
[/quote]
Top 10 safeties and their avg per season stats:
1. Eric Berry - 81.6 tackles, 5.8 tackles for loss, 5.6 passes defended, 4.6 interceptions
2. Earl Thomas - 67.5 tackles, 3.75 tackles for loss, 16.5 passes defended, 5 interceptions
3. Taylor Mays - 69 tackles, 0.5 tackles for loss, 5.2 passes defended, 1 interception
4. Nate Allen - 74.6 tackles, 1.6 tackles for loss, 4 passes defended, 3 interceptions
5. Chad Jones - 52.6 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, 5.3 passes defended, 1.6 interceptions
6. Morgan Burnett - 78.3 tackles, 1.3 tackles for loss, 4.3 passes defended, 4.6 interceptions
7. Reshad Jones - 68.6 tackles, 3.33 tackles for loss, 4.3 passes defended, 3.6 interceptions
8. Major Wright - 55 tackles, 0 tackles for loss, 3.3 passes defended, 2.6 interceptions
9. Larry Asante - 74.6 tackles, 0.6 tackles for loss, 5 passes defended, 1 interception
10. Darrell Stuckey - 73.5 tackles, 2.7 tackles for loss, 4.7 passes defended, 2 interceptions

So out of the top 10, Mays is 6th in tackles, 9th in tackles for loss, 4th (very surprising) in passes defended and tied for 10th in interceptions. I didn't calculate forced fumbles per season but he is tied for last with 1 in four years.

I know stats don't mean everything, this post just made me curious how he stacked up against the other top safeties.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='03 April 2010 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1270341882' post='875086']
You misspelled Dumbass when you were creating your ID.
[/quote]

So because someone disagrees with you on a prospect you feel the need to call him names? Why is this so personal for you?

[quote name='Jason' date='03 April 2010 - 09:22 PM' timestamp='1270344159' post='875091']
So because someone disagrees with you on a prospect you feel the need to call him names? Why is this so personal for you?
[/quote]
I've been called many names for disagreeing about Mays.

I like to feel I'm being the grown up by not name calling back.

Archived