WR final cuts

Simpson has like 3 pre-season games experience on special teams. Briscoe has none as far as I know. Quan can return punts, kicks, block, tackle and has shown more as a WR than Briscoe. The last spots at WR are always used on guys who can play special teams. He is a lock.

Chad
Owens
Shipley
Caldwell
Cosby
Simpson

Briscoe to practice squad.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1283536148' post='913577']
Simpson has like 3 pre-season games experience on special teams. Briscoe has none as far as I know. Quan can return punts, kicks, block, tackle and has shown more as a WR than Briscoe. The last spots at WR are always used on guys who can play special teams. He is a lock.

Chad
Owens
Shipley
Caldwell
Cosby
Simpson

[/quote]

I would agree. Just posting what Mr. Reedy wrote. You can, however, kiss Mr. Briscoe goodbye if he goes to practice squad. He will never clear waivers.

[quote name='mani85' timestamp='1283535811' post='913573']
According to Joe Reedy, after last night's game, Quan looks to be on the chopping block.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/09/03/9310-so-about-the-53rd-guy/
[/quote]

if they keep dan coats over cosby or briscoe they are idiots....reggie kelly can line up at te/hb and the bengals have used peko on short yardage plays.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1283536148' post='913577']

Chad
Owens
Shipley
Caldwell
Cosby
Simpson

[/quote]

I think they'll give serious thought to going with 2 QB's and keeping an extra WR or RB (at least while Leonard is out).

It helped that Jordan had a really good showing last night.

[quote name='mani85' timestamp='1283536297' post='913580']
I would agree. Just posting what Mr. Reedy wrote. You can, however, kiss Mr. Briscoe goodbye if he goes to practice squad. He will never clear waivers.
[/quote]
I don't understand why he won't clear waivers.... He was a 6th round pick, and has had 4 total catches in the preseason against future used car salesman. He could end up being a good player in a couple of years but there is no reason to sacrifice the special teams unit this year when it is HIGHLY unlikely he makes an impact as a wide receiver.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1283536703' post='913584']
I don't understand why he won't clear waivers.... He was a 6th round pick, and has had 4 total catches in the preseason against future used car salesman. He could end up being a good player in a couple of years but there is no reason to sacrifice the special teams unit this year when it is HIGHLY unlikely he makes an impact as a wide receiver.
[/quote]

pretty much

[/quote]

It's part of the agreement when you sign up for the board, you have to consider every Bengals low round draft pick irreplaceable and a future hall of famer, regardless of skill or performance.

Briscoe might be good and I'd rather have him than others, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if we lost a 6th round dude.

[/quote]

I also agree w/ your above statement. However, there are many other teams out there, who dont have as deep of a wide receiver corp as cincy, that will bring him in. It really isnt that far fetched. Also, i think he is better than he what his draft pick suggests. He was a player. Look at B. Scott, he was a 6th rounder. He had issues coming out of high school and in college and thats all it takes. Luckily, or unluckily sometimes, we root for a team that absolutely doesnt give two shits about that type of thing.

[/quote]
I agree. Plus, like you said, there is a pretty deep crop of receivers coming out next year. Losing a sixth round pick to waivers? Probably not that big of a deal. They have made ti clear they want to win now, not build for later.

There is a good chance we find out one way or another. I think the only way Briscoe makes the 53 is if the Bengals don't think he would get through waivers.

Then if they do waive him and try to get him on the PS, we will see if he lasts.

[/quote]

injuries.

Briscoe dropped due to character, not lack of talent.

Since the draft the Vikes have lost their #1 Wr and harvin can't be trusted.

Chargers #1 is sitting out for the time being.

Rams lost their #1 WR a few weeks ago.

Seahawks are about to dump TJ

Browns, Bears and Jags WR's suck.

Jets WR's are nothing to write home about.

Redskins lost their #1 WR last week and Santana Moss is done.

Jeremy Maclin is injured in Philly.

Plenty of teams out there that will take a look at a WR who's big, phsyical, can run routes and has decent speed.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1283541163' post='913623']
injuries.

Briscoe dropped due to character, not lack of talent.

Since the draft the Vikes have lost their #1 Wr and harvin can't be trusted.

Chargers #1 is sitting out for the time being.

Rams lost their #1 WR a few weeks ago.

Seahawks are about to dump TJ

Browns, Bears and Jags WR's suck.

Jets WR's are nothing to write home about.

Redskins lost their #1 WR last week and Santana Moss is done.

Jeremy Maclin is injured in Philly.

Plenty of teams out there that will take a look at a WR who's big, phsyical, can run routes and has decent speed.
[/quote]
I just can't see him being a hot commodity when there will be plenty of other receivers that are cut with similar measurables and several more years of experience

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1283541414' post='913625']
I just can't see him being a hot commodity when there will be plenty of other receivers that are cut with similar measurables and several more years of experience
[/quote]

Plus we can always draft another Briscoe next year, in round 6 or earlier.

The Bengals play two wideouts on almost every play, other than in short shortage situations. They use a slot receiver on less than half of offensive snaps, and almost never use two slots on the same play. And when they do, you have to assume that Gresham would be one of the two slot guys. So if you are going to keep six WRs on the 53 man roster, then it would be stupid to keep three slot receivers and as a result only three wide receivers. So I don't see how Shipley/Caldwell/Cosby can all make the team. But to me the most expendable guy isn't Cosby due to his versatility, it would be Caldwell. I'm not suggesting that Caldwell just be released outright. We are talking about a former 3rd round draft pick who caught 50 passes in 2009. Surely he has some trade value for teams in need of WRs. Maybe they can get a dependable FB, a free safety, or a draft pick for Caldwell.

Even if Caldwell isn't moved, how is he even active on Sundays unless there is an injury to a slot receiver? Caldwell doesn't have much value on special teams, and Shipley is clearly the guy who will be getting the slot receiver snaps. So it seems to me that either Simpson or Briscoe(probably Simpson) will be active as a third wide receiver behind Chad/TO. You can't have only two split-wide receivers active when you use two on almost every snap. So in that scenario it would be Chad/TO/Simpson(special teams also) to play out wide, and Shipley/Cosby(both special teams players) to be the slot receivers. So which one would you prefer to be the inactive receiver on Sundays, Caldwell or Briscoe?

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1283542014' post='913640']
Plus we can always draft another Briscoe next year, in round 6 or earlier.
[/quote]

wouldn't it be great to have an extra pick to use on say a safety of the future?

If you lose Briscoe and TO for next year, on top of Bryant, Bengals will likely have to use a round 3 or higher pick on a a WR.

I'd much rather have the flexibility to use a pick like that on a safety or OL, wouldn't you?

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' timestamp='1283541826' post='913634']
From Quan's Twitter

[b]Cosby12 [/b]

Since I have such great followers I will let y'all in on what will be confirmed Tom, I am and will b a Bengal! Gonna b a great year for us!!
[/quote]

He also posted this right before that ...

[b][url="http://twitter.com/Cosby12"][color="#0a0501"]Cosby12[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] No offense but @[url="http://twitter.com/joereedy"][color="#0a0501"]joereedy[/color][/url] isn't in personel meetings and u would count him as a reliable source in that subject!
[url="http://twitter.com/Cosby12/status/22913179547"]37 minutes ago[/url] via [url="http://twitterrific.com/"]Twitterrific[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1283543548' post='913660']
He also posted this right before that ...

[b][url="http://twitter.com/Cosby12"][color="#0a0501"]Cosby12[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] No offense but @[url="http://twitter.com/joereedy"][color="#0a0501"]joereedy[/color][/url] isn't in personel meetings and u would count him as a reliable source in that subject!
[url="http://twitter.com/Cosby12/status/22913179547"]37 minutes ago[/url] via [url="http://twitterrific.com/"]Twitterrific[/url]
[/quote]
HAAA! That's funny right there. Maybe that will knock Joe down a notch or two, that he so desperately needs.

[quote name='mani85' timestamp='1283537795' post='913595']
I also agree w/ your above statement. However, there are many other teams out there, who dont have as deep of a wide receiver corp as cincy, that will bring him in. It really isnt that far fetched. Also, i think he is better than he what his draft pick suggests. He was a player. Look at B. Scott, he was a 6th rounder. He had issues coming out of high school and in college and thats all it takes. Luckily, or unluckily sometimes, we root for a team that absolutely doesnt give two shits about that type of thing.
[/quote]

bringing up bernard scott is a good example of why briscoe will likely make it to the practice squad. many teams just won't take chances on guys with character concerns. both scott and briscoe fall into that category and that's why the slid as far as they did. if teams didn't want to take a chance on them in april, they're not going to flip a switch and change the way they go about doing business now. insiders have said that as many as half the league's teams fall into this category. that reduces the remote chances that a slow, 20 year old, 6th round WR gets claimed by an additional 50%. considering you have to add this yet to be developed player to your 53 man squad, i just don't see it happening.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1283542561' post='913649']
wouldn't it be great to have an extra pick to use on say a safety of the future?

If you lose Briscoe and TO for next year, on top of Bryant, Bengals will likely have to use a round 3 or higher pick on a a WR.

I'd much rather have the flexibility to use a pick like that on a safety or OL, wouldn't you?
[/quote]

but that's saying you're confident he'll develop into a WR you can rely on next year. we haven't seen anything other than college tape and one 50 yard catch against a likely insurance salesman to base that off of. i'm sorry, roster spots are too valuable to make that gamble for a guy that's way young and far from being developed, has character concerns, and isn't the fleetest of foot. steal another slow WR next year that's slipped due to character issues. the talent pool will be better anyway and they're interchangeable pieces.

and you're basing this whole premise on him being snatched up, which likely won't happen anyway.

Archived