terrelle pryor and 4 other OSU cheapers suspended for 5 games

GoBengals

not excusing what they did, but that punishment is a joke. Not only is it excessive, but I find it funny that it doesn't start with the bowl game, but rather gets pushed off until next year.

Will probably cost them a national title chance unless they somehow beat Miami without its top QB, RB, WR and left tackle.

There are several things that are just absurd here.

1. Why in the world would they not be suspended for the bowl. Thats just ridiculous.
2. Would there be any better timing for this to come down for OSU. Right before Xmas so no one is on campus, and it will be forgotten about, wont get knocked out of a bowl game, some of those players might leave, first few games next year against Toledo, someone else, and first year coaches at Colorado and Miami. I might respect Tressell too much but this timing seems fishy.
3. If it is downgraded to less then the 4 games that AJ Green got then thats laughable.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1293139417' post='953194']

1. Why in the world would they not be suspended for the bowl. Thats just ridiculous.
2. Would there be any better timing for this to come down for OSU. Right before Xmas so no one is on campus, and it will be forgotten about, wont get knocked out of a bowl game, some of those players might leave, first few games next year against Toledo, someone else, and first year coaches at Colorado and Miami. I might respect Tressell too much but this timing seems fishy.
3. If it is downgraded to less then the 4 games that AJ Green got then thats laughable.
[/quote]

A few things:

This came from the NCAA, I doubt OSU had much to do with the punishment.

At Miami won't be a walk in the park, even with a new coach. You say it like they deserve more than 5 games, when in truth 5 games is a bit much probably as it is.

The timing of it doesn't really matter with regards to the reasons you state. Students/staff/faculty/fans are talking about it whether they're on campus or not.

Don't disagree about the bowl game. That's a copout by the NCAA. Frankly, I'd rather they be suspended for the Sugar Bowl than the Michigan State game.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1293146157' post='953206']
What we also did not mention is if these guys go pro they basically have 0 accountability here. None.
[/quote]

why should there be any punishment if they are no longer college athletes?

I don't mind the punishment much. They knew the rules, they broke them. Simple case. However, for the most part they broke what amount to stupid rules. They sold property that they personally owned. That doesn't excuse breaking the rules, but it also doesn't mean that its not a dumb rule.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1293151832' post='953216']
The point is by not having them be banned from the bowl game you in effect are allowing them to get off with no consequences because as you said they cant be punished after they move on.
[/quote]

I agree with that, and like I said, as an OSU fan I think it hurts OSU MORE that they are missing the Michigan State game rather than the Sugar Bowl. The Sugar Bowl means nothing, but the Michigan State game likely has a huge ramfication on the Big Ten race next year.

Not to mention that their first game back is the Nebraska game, which is a huge game.

To think OSU is getting off lightly (which a few on ESPN have claimed) would be a huge error in judgement (not that its what you're saying).

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1293139417' post='953194']

1.[b] Why in the world would they not be suspended for the bowl. Thats just ridiculous.[/b]
[/quote]

E$PN Strikes Again

I was thinking about it and I think there are really 3 different levels here.
1. Selling equipment. "Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes" He certainly owns some of that but the pants? Do they get the pants? Isn't that akin to stealing from the University? I cant take my desk chair at work and sell it. I think this is the biggest fear because if you allow for these things then why couldn't OSU just by 5 times as many gloves for their players with the expectation that they can just sell them. That would basically be like paying them in a round about way.

2. Selling things that you own that were awarded from the University. "Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 gold pants, a trinket given to players who are a part of a team which beats rival Michigan." Here I am looking at the award from the Buckeyes, the gold pants. If they can sell awards from the buckeyes then in a sense it could be like the bucks are paying them. They could create random awards just so players could sell them.

3. Selling things that were awarded not from the University. "Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring." Here I think its a little less because its an award. The school still could get him to come there saying there is a likelihood you will get an award you can sell but there is not a direct relationship here. The school cant directly pay them.

I completely understand why the first two are ruled out but the third not as much.

Starting this after the bowl game makes zero sense.

Kind of a bummer to see this happen to Dan. From all accounts, i've heard he is a real down-to-earth, awesome guy. Wouldn't mind seeing him in stripes next year.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1293153018' post='953219']
I agree with that, and like I said, as an OSU fan I think it hurts OSU MORE that they are missing the Michigan State game rather than the Sugar Bowl. The Sugar Bowl means nothing, but the Michigan State game likely has a huge ramfication on the Big Ten race next year.

Not to mention that their first game back is the Nebraska game, which is a huge game.

To think OSU is getting off lightly (which a few on ESPN have claimed) would be a huge error in judgement (not that its what you're saying).
[/quote]
The one good thing for OSU is that MSU is in the other division. They won't be suspended for any games in there division. If they win out after the MSU game
they will probably still make the conference championship game.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1293158936' post='953234']
The one good thing for OSU is that MSU is in the other division. They won't be suspended for any games in there division. If they win out, they will probably still make the conference championship game.
[/quote]

that is something to consider.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1293158772' post='953233']
Starting this after the bowl game makes zero sense.

Kind of a bummer to see this happen to Dan. From all accounts, i've heard he is a real down-to-earth, awesome guy. Wouldn't mind seeing him in stripes next year.
[/quote] We already got shipley,we dont need another possession reciever + hes not better than ship. Waste of a damn pick

[quote name='Missya15' timestamp='1293239969' post='953321']
We already got shipley,we dont need another possession reciever + hes not better than ship. Waste of a damn pick
[/quote]
I'm not even sure what to say to this.

Interesting twist on the topic. This is not my original post, but I thought it was worth sharing. This is from Husker Buckeye on the Bucknuts.com forum:

[quote]I'm no lawyer, but how does the NCAA have the legal right to restrict a citizen of this nation from selling his/her possessions? Is the NCAA above the constitution? I just don't get it.

Being paid to play is one thing, but restricting free trade? Does the NCAA have the right to stop player's families from free trade as well? What if TP gave his gold pants to his Mom, and she wanted to sell them for Christmas present money? His Uncles and Aunts? Cousins? How do they even have a right to KNOW such things about persons they have no involvement with? I just do not understand how they get away with this.

I don't usually like Wilbon, but he made a great point. He mentioned that the multi-billion dollar business of the NCAA wants kids making them wealthy, yet doesn't want the kids to profit at all. Very similar to "owning" someone.[/quote]

Link to post: http://bucknuts.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1251771&postcount=1

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1293389927' post='953472']
Interesting twist on the topic. This is not my original post, but I thought it was worth sharing. This is from Husker Buckeye on the Bucknuts.com forum:

Link to post: http://bucknuts.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1251771&postcount=1
[/quote]
NCAA owning these kids? Yeah right. These kids are already recieving tens-to-hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition, books, food, housing, etc, how much more do they need?

Wish they would just let kids go pro out of college so you can weed out all this pay-for-play.

OSU cheated? Something new, ya right. Its not excessive, AJ Green sold a jersey and had to miss 4 games. These guys are bums. Saying they did it to help their families. BS. They get money for rent, food, they get some clothes, they get shit from bowl games. They get free food every day. Theyre selling this stuff for drugs or other things they dont need to be buying. Posey also lives in a gated community because he says hes such a celebrity he has to.

Archived