Hope this isn't true

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1294014414' post='956591']
Ok, I know I'm the apologist so I'm going to take this on my shoulders, but, Who, except for a bunch of [b]Whiny fucks[/b], really gives a shit? Some of you act like you've never made a mistake in the heat of the moment, and when you did, I doubt you had 300+ pound MF's trying to take your head off. The amazing thing is that most of you bitching were the same ones arguing that we NEEDED to Lose. Some of you wouldn't be happy if you got hung with a new rope.
[/quote]
What's with the name calling ? It's just a discussion on what happened today with our favorite team.
And as far as who cares. I do. I watch my team every game and want them to win every game.

[quote name='bengalbutch' timestamp='1294015147' post='956598']
What's with the name calling ? It's just a discussion on what happened today with our favorite team.
And as far as who cares. I do. I watch my team every game and want them to win every game.
[/quote]

So far in this thread, I don't think you've done any whining, at least until now. :D

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1294015118' post='956597']
No, but the shit happens. I can remember teams getting 5 downs, and I can remember a game a few years back when they took a down that cost a team a game. That's why they went to a QC official down on the field just to keep track of the downs and the time outs.
[/quote]

And it won't be the worst thing that could ever happen either. People seem to forget that this same alleged brain-dead QB had just taken the team 60 yards in 36 seconds with no timeouts against one of the better defenses in the game to just get in a position to win.

I'm sure we could all rely on Cam Fucking Newton to do better.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1294017041' post='956622']
And it won't be the worst thing that could ever happen either. People seem to forget that this same alleged brain-dead QB had just taken the team 60 yards in 36 seconds with no timeouts against one of the better defenses in the game to just get in a position to win.

I'm sure we could all rely on Cam Fucking Newton to do better.
[/quote]
That throw to Bubba was beautiful

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294017657' post='956633']
Sad. How can anyone want this coaching staff back?
[/quote]

There are two things that go through my head.

1. If Marvin comes back we know there are behind the scenes changes that took place. An NFL head coach is 1 of 32 possible jobs in the world, dudes don't turn down job offers (like Marvin did last year) unless there are serious disagreements with how the organization is run. If Marvin agrees to come back there will probably be huge concessions by MB and thats a good thing even if Marvin is a poor game manager

2. The fear of what MB might bring in.

And to your edit about Reggie, he was covered but the guy left him as CP "appeared" to throw it to Peerman.

I think if CP held onto the ball for another second and made the defenders believe he might run, Reggie would have been WIIIIDE open, but when he threw it, I think he was covered.

[quote]1. If Marvin comes back we know there are behind the scenes changes that took place. An NFL head coach is 1 of 32 possible jobs in the world, dudes don't turn down job offers (like Marvin did last year) unless there are serious disagreements with how the organization is run. If Marvin agrees to come back there will probably be huge concessions by MB and thats a good thing even if Marvin is a poor game manager[/quote]

Fools Gold. It's a dumb game Cincinnati Bengal fans play with themselves. They are always reading the tea leaves trying to figure out "who's in charge". When this first came about I asked the question "How can Marvin contract the assumed changes?" He can't. He'd be relying on his relationship with Mike Brown. Which apparently has changed already.

Then let's say Marvin does resign. The first losing season or questionable draft pick Bengal fans will revert back to "Mike's in charge".

Point being: Marvin coached poorly this season. It's not worth keeping him just so you can have some comfort that Mike isn't pulling the strings when he will always be involved in the running of his franchise. It's a silly game.

[quote]2. The fear of what MB might bring in.
[/quote]

Why? At worse it's Zimmer. Is that a horrible no chance to ever succeed choice? No. It's boring. It won't sell tickets. But, I'd argue with anybody that Zimmer couldn't pull off a quick rebound with the defensive talent already in place.

The last time they did this Lewis, Coughlin, and Mularkey were the 3. All proved to be legit canidates.

IMO, some people don't want Marvin back because of his great coaching. It's more of signal that Brown is not in the picture (which is silly to ever think) and fear of Shula years.

[quote name='bengalbutch' timestamp='1294011694' post='956553']
First of all I'm not sure this is true or even worth it's own thread so . . . merge or delete. I won't mind.

Listening to the radio a few minutes ago . . . Someone said that delay at the end of the game when the official was checking with something upstairs. The last 10 seconds before the Ravens were going to take a knee and end the game.

Supposedly Carson & Marvin were yelling & telling the ref's that the overthrow to Peerman was only 3rd down and not 4th. I hope this is not true
[/quote]

I heard that, too.

But still, Peerman was wide open and no on in front of him to the end zone
and I think Simpson was open in the end zone.

Throw it to one of them for the score.

But that throw was just too whizz poor to be missed that badly.

Perfect ending to this cluster fuck season.

Does anybody have the game on tape? I was mad when he spiked it because I thought it was 2nd down. But then I looked at the CBS graphic which hadn't changed yet after the spike and it said 1st & Goal. So I calmed down. But then I noticed that last play it did say 4th down. I didn't put the 2 together until reading this but now I'm curious if I just imagined that graphic that said it was 1st down. Not that it's official obviously, but I wonder if the producers saw a ref move the sticks prematurely and Palmer saw the same thing or something like that.

Watching the discussion at the end of the game, I assumed it was about the downs. Frankly, I thought it was third down and I was in the comfort of my recliner sitting at the house. There was nobody hollering in my ear and I wasn't trying to get anybody lined up while a stadium full of fans was screaming at the top of their lungs.

It sucks that Palmer and co blew it, but like LT said, he is the same guy that got them there in the first place. Besides, for the first time I remember, I was actually glad they didn't convert. As nice as a win would have been, I'd rather the Bengals pick at 4.

I owe Marvin Lewis an apology. I thought he had lost this team. They really fought the last few weeks when alot of teams would have mailed it in - see: Browns, Cleveland.

If this was his last hurrah, he's earned a spot alongside Sam Wyche and just below Forrest Gregg. Next up, Mike Zimmer.

Hmmmmmm what if Chad had made such a mistake? Oh gee, it's Carson and those fans are screaming and saying mean things. Gee, it suck they blew it.

What a load of BULLSHIT.

Not to mention the franchise QB fumbled the series before untouched while trying to slide. Yeah let's just pay him 11 million next year.

If Chad or TO had made a similar mistake people would be riding them out of town. Heck, I'm somewhat surprised there has not been attempt to blame it on TO.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294024025' post='956693']
Hmmmmmm what if Chad had made such a mistake? Oh gee, it's Carson and those fans are screaming and saying mean things. Gee, it suck they blew it.

What a load of BULLSHIT.

Not to mention the franchise QB fumbled the series before untouched while trying to slide. Yeah let's just pay him 11 million next year.

If Chad or TO had made a similar mistake people would be riding them out of town. Heck, I'm somewhat surprised there has not been attempt to blame it on TO.
[/quote]
I hear what your saying, but if you let go of Carson, who do you start next year? Luck probably won't be there in the draft, Newton, Locker, and Mallet all have huge bust potentia, and there are no real good QB's out there to pick up. It would essentially be a lost season with no real good QB's coming out the year after.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1294024227' post='956696']
I hear what your saying, but if you let go of Carson, who do you start next year? Luck probably won't be there in the draft, Newton, Locker, and Mallet all have huge bust potentia, and there are no real good QB's out there to pick up. It would essentially be a lost season with no real good QB's coming out the year after.
[/quote]

I got no fuckin clue. I think it's the biggest issue once you get past the coaching changes (if any).

My hope is that a fresh offensive minded HC, new OC and new QB can breath life into him.

I want Palmer to succeed. I took issue with anyone last year the claimed he wasn't elite or franchise. I don't think his accuracy is all that good. Balls do seem to float (He hit Caldwell on an out from opposite hash and it looked like Caldwell could have fair caught it). I don't know about his decision making and it looks like defenders are getting to his balls faster than they used to.

If you start Palmer you better build this defense because right now it's better if don't put the game on his arm.

I do believe they have to consider QB in the first or second.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294024025' post='956693']

What a load of BULLSHIT.

[/quote]

Chad did make that mistake. Remember last year, when he caught the ball on the sideline and backed out of bounds one yard short of the first down when he had room to get the 1 yard? He thought it was third down and was trying to save clock, but it was 4th and we turned the ball over on downs.

Archived