2011 Reds Gameday Thread!

JBandJoeyV

Well...we were 5-2 in the homestand. If you asked me if I'd take sweeping the Cards and the Cubs and being swept by the Buccos before the last 7 games started, I would certainly have taken it. Its disappointing to lose like that to the Pirates though, because it casts doubt on how good this team really is. But the Pirates aren't as bad as they used to be, and winning 7 in a row in baseball is impossibly hard to do.

The Reds are going to have a chance to prove their mettle on the road, though. We face 3 games against a hot Cleveland team away, a four game series against the Phillies away and then a three game series against the Braves away. If we can muster 5-5 or 6-4 in that stretch I'll be happy. Anything less will suck as we are now a half game behind the Redbirds.

This road trip will really tell us a lot about how good we are. If we do something ridiculous and go like 7-3, we will know. And obviously the converse is true. I so badly want them to do well on this 10 game road trip. Time will tell.

Gomes in the two spot baffles me. I know you want the guy to see some pitches, but Ramon Hernandez has been on fire and he should be DH'ing anyways. Let Hernandez see some good pitches.

If your going to put someone in the two spot to see some pitches, let it be Jay Bruce.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1305945210' post='993980']
Gomes is now batting .176. It was so dumb to bat him 2nd. He needs to be benched for several days.
[/quote]

He should be cut instead of continuing to wait for him to stop sucking.

How can you justify not putting Hernandez at DH. Guy has been hitting great lately. Johnny..not so much. Dude is just hurting us. The Indians are a great example of a whole team playing well. They do all the little things. Have great at-bats, do the little things, sac fly's and such. We have a lot of great talent, but poor pitch selection and pitchers command is killing this team. No reason a team like ours can't muster a few runs against the Indians. Stretches like this are going to help the Cards win the division.

Jay saw 19 pitches today and 2 walks. That's what I like to see out of him. He's hitting smart lately.

Oh also, the Indians 7,8,9 hitters saw 42 pitches. Our's saw 31. C'mon guys! Be patient up there!

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1306034508' post='994069']
How can you justify not putting Hernandez at DH. Guy has been hitting great lately. Johnny..not so much. Dude is just hurting us. [b]The Indians are a great example of a whole team playing well.[/b] They do all the little things. Have great at-bats, do the little things, sac fly's and such. We have a lot of great talent, but poor pitch selection and pitchers command is killing this team. No reason a team like ours can't muster a few runs against the Indians. Stretches like this are going to help the Cards win the division.

Jay saw 19 pitches today and 2 walks. That's what I like to see out of him. He's hitting smart lately.

Oh also, the Indians 7,8,9 hitters saw 42 pitches. Our's saw 31. C'mon guys! Be patient up there!
[/quote]

Not sure about this... They tried to give us the first game.. And have been struggling at the plate pretty much as bad as we are right now.

I was pissed when we lost the first one.. Because when a good team tries to give you one at home you better take it.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1306041230' post='994073']
Not sure about this... They tried to give us the first game.. And have been struggling at the plate pretty much as bad as we are right now.

I was pissed when we lost the first one.. Because when a good team tries to give you one at home you better take it.
[/quote]
That bunt with the man on third is a perfect example of a good team playing well I think. It was beautiful. Acta was so confident with his guy to put that bunt down on the first pitch. Have to have those kinds of role-players to be a good team. I'm not sure we have a guy on the bench that is a threat to put a bunt and leg it out, besides Heisey and he should be starting.

The Tribe has almost batted around in the 1st inning.

Their #8 hitter has a 3-0 count as we speak.

Volquez walked him. He is now facing their #9 hitter with runners on 1st and 2nd.

He actually got out of the 1st. But of course, major damage already done.

Reds losing 4-1

Volquez in Spanish means Garbage in the 1st.

Yonder needs to be brought up ASAP and put in the two hole or four and Brandon to the two spot. Protect Joey and make our line-up dangerous.

LeCure to the rotation too. Volquez sent down and a reliever brought up until Leake can dominate AAA.

Volquez goes out and pitches another crappy game and then afterwards says the offense needs to score more runs:

[QUOTE]
[B]Volquez: We’ve got to score some runs[/B]

Edinson Volquez started Sunday’s game and allowed seven runs in 2 2/3 innings in a 12-4 loss to Cleveland.

Not good.

What he said afterward is going to win him a lot of friends in the clubhouse.
[B]
“Everybody has to step up,” he said, “start to score some runs. In the last five games, how many runs have we scored? Like 13? That’s not the way we were playing last year. We’re better than that.”[/B]

[b]Not what the rest of the club wants to hear on a day when you give up seven runs in less than three innings.[/b]

Volquez may be in denial.

Reds manager Dusty Baker said are “mulling over” Volquez’s future in the rotation.

The Reds have lost a season-high five in a row, equalling their longest skid of last year.

[url]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/05/22/volquez-weve-got-to-score-more-runs/[/url][/QUOTE]

Archived