How do you justify losing?

[quote name='joshua' timestamp='1316508016' post='1034047']
I don't expect greatness, but they should be beating a team like Denver. I don't give a shit how much experience this team has. Denver is an absolute pile of shit. But a close game is a close game with so many young guys on offense, they're growing each game and will get better BUT...wait until opposing defenses start to get film on Gruden's offense. This season will get much uglier, especially when teams like the Ravens and Steelers start breaking down the tape. Prepare yourselves for some VERY frustrating games and a bad record. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it ending well and this board will be much angrier by week 10 than it is right now.
[/quote]
Denver was at home after an embarrasing loss. This is the NFL. There are no gimmies. I also don't share your pessimism about being "figured out". The Bengals offensive playbook will evolve also.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1316520904' post='1034064']
I feel sorry for the people who's rage over a past they can't change clouds their ability to see hope in the present. Even worse seems to be their inability to see it. I am sorry things in and out of football have been tough... 2010 was easily the worst year of my life. I lost loved ones, didn't face those losses to my own standards, and endured a crushing season of my favorite distraction. You have to let go sometime. You can't change yesterday. You can't control the present or the future. You can only choose how you will face each day.

In regards to Sunday's game, and this 2011 Bengals team, I choose to see the promise of the young guys, and to fully embrace the members of this year's team. The young guys made more good plays than bad, and the bad plays were young mistakes instead of limitations of talent. The defense disappointed, but those too looked like correctable issues. This year is going to be a process I intend to enjoy. I encourage others to enjoy it as well. Hating it is a choice some will make, but won't bring any more fulfillment than the 2010 season.
[/quote]
Well said, and I agree.

[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1316521497' post='1034072']
I know it's blasphemous to say around here, but our defense is still prone to giving up big plays, we are only marginally better at pass rushing, and linebackers are still a weakness.
[/quote]
Its definitely a concern. That pass rush needs to materialize from somewhere or our defense will suffer. Along with our offense.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1316529692' post='1034136']
God Forbid anyone on the internets have some perspective. Lets have more bile filled rantings about trivia. God knows there isn't enough of that around.
[/quote]
There's never enough drama or trivia, Alex. I'll take "The Rapists" for 200, and your mother sucks donkey dorks.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1316530561' post='1034142']
No one is justifying anything. It was a loss. There were some good things...some bad things. Overall there were more positives to take away than negatives. The negatives can be fixed...the positives can be broadened. It was Game #2...if these guys continue their impressive week-by-week overall improvements as the season goes on, they will win a lot more than they lose. I really believe that. No "justifying" that.

And at the end of the day, it is the NFL. Teams lose games they probably shouldn't lose all the time.[b] Didn't the God-almighty Rats shit the bed against Tennessee?[/b]
[/quote]

Yes they did and the entire division is 1-1 right now. Lets see where it goes.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1316551480' post='1034265']
I would suggest that, after the 2nd game of the season, it may be a bit too early to form a solid opinion about any facet of this team. Good or bad..
[/quote]

No way! Its never too early to bitch!

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316551531' post='1034266']

Carson will be remember as the Barry Sanders of the Bengals. Sorry.
[/quote]

There is no defending the stupidity of this statement. Sorry. Carson on a bad team will never sniff Barry's jockstrap on his bad teams. Sanders was the only watchable player the Lions had going in those years and singlehandedly got them a couple playoff berths. Carson needed an offensive line with probowlers and awesome wideouts to do the same thing. Sanders was all alone outside of a little help from Herman Moore. This is a ridiculous comparison. Beyond ridiculous. I'm really surprised you're even trying to make it, quite frankly.
[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1316568848' post='1034355']
The biggest myth in the NFL is that there is an "easy" schedule or this should be an "easy" win. Anyone can beat anyone at anytime at this level. There is no such thing as easy in the NFL.
[/quote]
I totally agree. Just because the Broncos had a swath of injuries to starters didn't mean they weren't an NFL team...at home no less....

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1316576512' post='1034377']
Denver was at home after an embarrasing loss. This is the NFL. There are no gimmies. I also don't share your pessimism about being "figured out".
[/quote]

and I hope that's a point Marvin is driving home to a young team this year. There are no gimmies in the NFL, no matter how many starters your opponent is missing. You have to bring your A game every week.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1316602194' post='1034394']

and I hope that's a point Marvin is driving home to a young team this year. There are no gimmies in the NFL, no matter how many starters your opponent is missing. You have to bring your A game every week.
[/quote]

Please don't take this personal but this is the kind of lame excuse I have trouble with. I would like to think that most players learned this in high school, but at least in college that you have to bring your "A" game each week. They are professionals aren't they?

[quote name='westside bengal' timestamp='1316607352' post='1034405']

Please don't take this personal but this is the kind of lame excuse I have trouble with. I would like to think that most players learned this in high school, but at least in college that you have to bring your "A" game each week. They are professionals aren't they?
[/quote]

you'd hope yes, but keep in mind a lot of these guys are still newish to the NFL and adjusting. It's easy to overestimate an opponent when you're young and naive.

I'd much rather be 2-0, and this team definitely should be 2-0 right now, but there is something to be said for a young team not getting a big head too soon.

Look at the 2005 team. They thought they had arrived and were among the elite in the league. We all know how 2006 ended up, and over-confidence certainly played its part in that.

Archived