How do you justify losing?

[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1316521497' post='1034072']
I know it's blasphemous to say around here, but our defense is still prone to giving up big plays, we are only marginally better at pass rushing, and linebackers are still a weakness.
[/quote]
Funny, I said pre season that our biggest problem would be at the linebacker position and was laughed at by many. All great defenses have 1 stud linebacker that makes plays. REY doesn't make plays, never has, probably never will. Yeah, he makes takles downfield. Dahani was the expert at that last year.

Still, the team is playing WAY better than I thought they would, particularly the offense who I felt would be completely overwhelmed with all the new faces and lack of pre season prep.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1316521136' post='1034065']
The loss should be blamed on our Defense. There is no way you should let a #4 wr school you like that. I know everyone here loves Zim, but I think he is overrated. No way should a Denver O that has that many injuries score 24 points on a D who's scheme has been in place for 3 years.
[/quote]

I agree with this.

No way McGahee should ever run for 100 yards against this Defense.
No way Decker should have had a 100 yard game. Much less 2 TDs to boot.
And no way this Defense should have allowed that Offense 24 points. Ever.

I still cant's believe that Orton completed 15 passes, 5 of them were to Decker.
Orton had 195 yards, Decker accounted for 113 of those yards. Orton threw 2 TD passes
both of them to Decker. WTF?

The 15 play 80 yard drive to start the game was pathetic too.

[b] [size=6]Lapses cost defense[/size][/b]

[size=6][b] Four Denver drives ruin Bengals' day[/b][/size]

[b]CINCINNATI -- [/b] For eight drives, the Bengals defense forced five three-and-outs, two turnovers and allowed only one first down.

It was the other four drives though that ended up being the difference in a 24-22 loss on Sunday at Denver.

On those four drives, which resulted in three touchdowns and a field goal, the Bengals gave up 283 yards and 18 first downs.

Willis McGahee, who had averaged 57 yards in four previous starts against the Bengals, ran for 101 yards in place of the injured Knowshon Moreno and Eric Decker, who came into the game with nine career receptions for 159 yards, had five receptions for 113 yards and two touchdowns.

Said defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer of the breakdowns: "I don't know who that team was that was out there. It is the first time I've seen it with this bunch practice or otherwise."
Monday, the defense was back at work with film review and a walk-through to correct mistakes from the Denver game, especially on run defense.

"It was our own fault. We fit a couple of those runs wrong and were trying to do a little bit too much," defensive tackle Domata Peko said. "When you do that teams tend to find a gap that is uncovered and blast one. We got right back into it real quick and made corrections."

Zimmer didn't point out one guy for the errors, instead saying that the defensive line didn't play good, the linebackers weren't good and the secondary was not good.

On first-down plays, the Broncos averaged 6.8 yards, which was a particular sore point with Zimmer.

"We watched them go up and down the field on us but we learned a lot," safety Chris Crocker said. "We'll see a lot of the same stuff. It's a copycat league and what you don't play well in previous weeks they'll keep doing it to you."

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110919/SPT02/109200323/Lapses-cost-defense?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1316522455' post='1034085']

I agree with this.

I still cant's believe that Orton completed 15 passes, 5 of them were to Decker.
Orton had 195 yards, Decker accounted for 113 of those yards. Orton threw 2 TD passes

[/quote]

I agree with this completely. The offense while not completing third downs and missing some scoring opertunities still put up enough points to win on the road. Denver should never have scored like they did.

Remember what everyone was saying before the season started? The defense was going to be good and hold oppenents down to give the young offense a chance.

Didn't happen in Denver did it?

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1316521136' post='1034065']
The loss should be blamed on our Defense. There is no way you should let a #4 wr school you like that. I know everyone here loves Zim, but I think he is overrated. No way should a Denver O that has that many injuries score 24 points on a D who's scheme has been in place for 3 years.
[/quote]
Word.

He had a good defense..two years ago. Last year the defense was awful and we played comeback most of the year. This year, he had a solid game stopping the run and watching Colt McCoy overthrow everyone. Then gets beat up by a team with two WR's. Not inspiring.

Dude got his face pushed into his own piss last week.

Oh and losing sucks. No matter which positives come out of it. Especially to Denver.

Just to toss this in there: During Carson's career with the Bengals he won road games two weeks in a row twice. Once in 2006 and once in 2009. It's not a dog on Carson. Just illustrates how tough it is to accomplish, no matter who you play from week to week.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1316522455' post='1034085']

I agree with this.

[/quote]

I think if the "heat" was going to get turned up on something like "Go Bengals" is suggesting it would be Zimmer,

His defense was the most disappointing unit last year. They flushed a 13-0 lead in Cleveland and they clearly were not ready to play to start the Denver game and coming out of half time.

There's how many former No. 1 draft picks playing on that unit? The big plays in the first two weeks is horrible considering that's the exact opposite of what everyone thinks the formula should be.

In two weeks the defense has put the offense in a come from behind situation late in the game. We all know and expect the offense to look new and young.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1316528253' post='1034128']
I've yet to see one person on this board justify the loss to Denver.
[/quote]

There was some thread called "Ive never been so happy about losing" running around here. That's kind of shameful.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316528471' post='1034131']

There was some thread called "Ive never been so happy about losing" running around here. That's kind of shameful.
[/quote]

correct. poor choice of words aside, that doesn't mean he's justifying the loss or content with it. Just pointing out some of the positives that came out of it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1316528564' post='1034132']

correct. poor choice of words aside, that doesn't mean he's justifying the loss or content with it. Just pointing out some of the positives that came out of it.
[/quote]

you can go ahead and walk that thin line if you want.

The overall theme of this board since the end of the lockout has been pissing and moaning about people pissing and moaning about the state of this team. Clearly there has been a bunch of ass slapping over the prospects of this team losing but it's rebuilding.

It seems justify losing has been going on alot around here. Just my opinion.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1316528253' post='1034128']
I've yet to see one person on this board justify the loss to Denver.
[/quote]

Exactly. I have seen a lot of people saying they saw promising things, especially from the young guys on offense, but I haven't seen anyone whooping it up over the loss. Most everyone on here that I have read, thinks that was a winnable game, and If our D played better we would have won. The nice part was seeing that Andy, Green and Simpson all look like they could become a good trio with time and experience, and I personally think Gruden will as well. The Offense provided some hope, the playcalling was good except in third down situations, and the D kinda shit the bed. If we can get last weeks D, with this weeks O, I think we'll be well on our way to a good season, and set the seeds for great seasons to come.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316528471' post='1034131']

[/quote]

Again, message sent is never the message received. No matter how I explain it you only see words on the screen and don't get the exact meaning out of it. That's shameful.
MULLY

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1316528717' post='1034133']

The overall theme of this board since the end of the lockout has been pissing and moaning about people pissing and moaning about the state of this team. Clearly there has been a bunch of ass slapping over the prospects of this team losing but it's rebuilding.

[/quote]

The people that were pissing and moaning about pissing and moaning were doing it because many here
were acting like this was the worst team ever assembled in the history of sports.

And a lot of those same people were also shitting on Dalton, talking about drafting Luck and all of that.

Some people were very excited about some Rookies that had pretty damned good games, despite
the lockout, well locking them out from practices and shit like that.

"Oh my God people saw something positive about the loss?!!! WTF??!! That's a bunch of bullshit!!!"

Ass slapping? Stupid.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1316529338' post='1034135']

Again, message sent is never the message received. No matter how I explain it you only see words on the screen and don't get the exact meaning out of it. That's shameful.
MULLY
[/quote]

That doesn't make any sense man, how about I say "I am a pedo" but somehow I want you to infer that it doesn't mean I like to touch little boys.

Don't type dumb sentences. Type what you mean.
SOIS

Stop trying to be all philosophical dust in the wind here, this is a football board, I don't need to know about science and feelings.

No one is justifying anything. It was a loss. There were some good things...some bad things. Overall there were more positives to take away than negatives. The negatives can be fixed...the positives can be broadened. It was Game #2...if these guys continue their impressive week-by-week overall improvements as the season goes on, they will win a lot more than they lose. I really believe that. No "justifying" that.

And at the end of the day, it is the NFL. Teams lose games they probably shouldn't lose all the time. Didn't the God-almighty Rats shit the bed against Tennessee?

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1316528717' post='1034133']

[/quote]

People have been justifying the Bengals losing for the past 9 years on this board. If ever there was a time to justify losing it would be now.

1. This is the youngest team in the AFC
2. This team is without it's "Faces of the Franchise" for the first time in Marvin's era
3. This team is starting a rookie Guard, WR, and QB
4. This team has a new OC, with completely different scheme.
5. This team, with all of the inexperienced youth, had to go through what no other Bengals team had to with a strike shortened off season.
6. This team was picked by the whole universe to be the worst team in the NFL by far.

I am sure I am forgetting some reasons why this season was supposed to be a train wreck and the worst in the Bengals history. All of this considering the way the Bengals have been playing should give many a people a lot of hope for not only this season, but for many seasons to come. With the history of all of the Bengals fans who have justified losing and praising the Bengals in the past 10 years, you would think they would cut this team some slack and take the good.

Well, this thread is taking "Being willfully obtuse." to a whole new level, even for this site. Is the ability to -arguably-, sometimes only by the hair's breadth, to say "I told you so" worth being out and out assholes to one another? If you do not see positives out of the Denver game, it is simply because you do not want to out of spite. I was shocked to see the apology thread to Andy Dalton yesterday, as I thought that represented a more mature and realistic theme that would be a nice diversion from the constant, asinine pissing contests that pop up here. That lasted less than a day. Good job.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1316529877' post='1034137']

The people that were pissing and moaning about pissing and moaning were doing it because many here
were acting like this was the worst team ever assembled in the history of sports.

And a lot of those same people were also shitting on Dalton, talking about drafting Luck and all of that.

Some people were very excited about some Rookies that had pretty damned good games, despite
the lockout, well locking them out from practices and shit like that.

"Oh my God people saw something positive about the loss?!!! WTF??!! That's a bunch of bullshit!!!"

Ass slapping? Stupid.
[/quote]

As a board there are some members that have lowered their expectations for the team. As long as they are not the world's most horrible team and as long as rookie's give us excitement then it seems losing has been justified.

LIke it or not, I think Go brings up good points.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1316531394' post='1034152']

People have been justifying the Bengals losing for the past 9 years on this board. If ever there was a time to justify losing it would be now.

2. This team is without it's "Faces of the Franchise" for the first time in Marvin's era
5. This team, with all of the inexperienced youth, had to go through what no other Bengals team had to with a strike shortened off season.
6. This team was picked by the whole universe to be the worst team in the NFL by far.

I am sure I am forgetting some reasons why this season was supposed to be a train wreck and the worst in the Bengals history. All of this considering the way the Bengals have been playing should give many a people a lot of hope for not only this season, but for many seasons to come. With the history of all of the Bengals fans who have justified losing and praising the Bengals in the past 10 years, you would think they would cut this team some slack and take the good.
[/quote]

I don't know. You got the same owner and coach from the past 8 seasons. That have resulted in zero playoff wins.

Justificiation aside. This past Denver loss it the typical BS loss that ends up costing them later.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1316531394' post='1034152']

[/quote]

Wonderful post!! :41: :41: :41:

Archived