How do you justify losing?

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1316531795' post='1034160']

I don't know. You got the same owner and coach from the past 8 seasons. That have resulted in zero playoff wins.

Justificiation aside. This past Denver loss it the typical BS loss that ends up costing them later.
[/quote]
Seems like that's the way it works. Lose a game when we play like turds and it ends up costing us in December.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1316531657' post='1034157']

As a board there are some members that have lowered their expectations for the team. As long as they are not the world's most horrible team and as long as rookie's give us excitement then it seems losing has been justified.

LIke it or not, I think Go brings up good points.
[/quote]

maybe so....

but him comparing a rookie QB and WR that didn't have a full off season... To Chad and the quitter is insane....
to think we should have the same expectations for them is also not really fair....

There's no way to justify the loss.

Rey played liked a sackless fucktard and got abused by McGahee repeatedly. Crocker shoved his own head so far up his ass that he couldn't even see where he was running or who he was running into. Zimmer got outcoached and outschemed repeatedly. Gruden called a pathetic, very Marvinesque conservative game the first half. Honestly, everyone knew they were running left and then run left again and again and again... It's super easy to defend one half to one quarter of the field when they do stupid shit like that. Jerome, despite having good numbers, shit the bed with all of the drops he had too. The interior O-Line sucked ass again and Dalton missed a couple of blitzes.

You can't play half a game and expect to win and they played like shit the first half. The whole first half was total, utter horse shit and that's why they lost. The 2nd half is how they should have played the whole damn game - they would have / should have won if that were the case.

Even after all of that, it was fun and entertaining as all hell to watch Dalton and Green play catch up the 2nd half and just about win. Sure it sucks to have lost but at least they showed up for the last half of the game. The coaches need to ride their asses a bit more and get 4 full quarters out of this team instead of letting them coast through half the game. That's happened twice now and it needs to stop - immediately.

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1316533592' post='1034171']

maybe so....

but him comparing a rookie QB and WR that didn't have a full off season... To Chad and the quitter is insane....
to think we should have the same expectations for them is also not really fair....
[/quote]

What about Marvin? Why does he get to slide by? soP infuriates me sometimes, if you're going to start over, really start over. Don't half ass it.

If the team isn't good in a relatively fast time, people will be calling for Marvin's head and then it will be ANOTHER starting over period. I'm guessing this happens at the end of Marvin's contract. Two years wasted of the current roster is my guess if the team isn't playing well.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1316519993' post='1034061']That game was lost by Marvin and Gruden for the most part. There was no way we should have lost that game. The 3rd/4th and short playcalling was shit. Is Andy incappable of a QB sneak? Why are we running outside the guards on 3rd/4th and short? Don't we have 2 220lb plus pounding RBs named Benson and Leonard? Why did we continue to throw long sideline passes that require a perfect touch to A, Hit the receiver in stride, B. Stay in bounds? Oh, its also in Denver which makes the passes float a good 5 yards further as well. We have a rookie QB, we need to make things a little simpler for him, not make him throw perfect All-Pro passes. Our biggest play came on a very simple pass up the middle. Don't we a 1st round draft choice named Gresham to help move the chains? Play action on 2nd and 8 was STUPID particulartly when they were showing blitz. Dalton never had a chance to set up and throw the ball either downfield or away. What was with the totally predictable conservative playcalling in the first half? Its not like we had a 2 touchdown lead going into the 4th quarter and were trying to run down the clock. Yeah, Denver sucked ass in run coverage last week, this week they assumed we would try to run on them so they run blitzed every down. Someone should have figured that out before the first 30 minutes were up. Again, Gresham anyone? BTW, I am here to tell you Rey is not the answer at MLB. I have never seen a guy take himself out of more plays than Rey. I have never seen a guy miss that many tackles except my son's 5th grade pee wee team. I really don't want to hear that its a technique thing that can be fixed. The guy is a 3rd year PROFESSIONAL football player, if he doesn't know how to properly tackle yet, that is a major issue. Still, Rey isn't why we lost Sunday. Kicking a 53 yard field goal on 4th and 1 would have been a mistake. Nugent is a 36% field goal kicker at 50 yards plus. It was the right move not to kick a field goal. Overall, the players played pretty well for the most part given this is week 2 and we basically have a new team offensively. I can't lay much of the blame on the players for this loss. Dalton did what he was asked to do and did it very well for a rookie. He still has a long way to go in terms of calling audibles based on coverage but that takes time. Crocker did cost us 6 points no doubt. No explaination for what he did. Look at the tape and explain to me how he could have ever taken that angle and hit Clements. Clements was in perfect position to make the tackle. Still, I didn't expect Dalton to do much at all the first few weeks so I am happy with his progression so far. He is the key to future success. Gruden is a rookie as well. He will need to calm down a bit and get his list of plays figured out. That takes time as well.[/quote]

I agree with this entire post actually. The defense played terribly, gave weak receivers cushions instead of playing tight coverage, and Rey was a mess. And offensive playcalling was bad on short yardage situations. The short pass to Gresham or Leonard run/pass were ignored. 3rd and 1 deep pass option is fine if you have a RB slipping out and a short TE pass option in case the WR is doubled and not available. QB sneaks are unstoppable for a yard, usually.

Based on what I have seen from Gruden in his arena league, his play calling is not usually like this. I do believe there is pressure to do certain things at times in the "smashmouth AFC North". This will take its natural course and the playcalling will improve as the season goes on.

As for this thread, it is embarrassingly obvious to everyone except the OP the bitterness and lack of balance he conveyed. I feel bad for the poster and the one person who voted his comment up.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316533802' post='1034175']

What about Marvin? Why does he get to slide by? soP infuriates me sometimes, if you're going to start over, really start over. Don't half ass it.

If the team isn't good in a relatively fast time, people will be calling for Marvin's head and then it will be ANOTHER starting over period. I'm guessing this happens at the end of Marvin's contract. Two years wasted of the current roster is my guess if the team isn't playing well.
[/quote]

I am not arguing that...... actually I agree..... letting a 4-12 coach make demands doesn't really make sense... but since that's where we are I hope he succeeds....

I was just saying that comparing the players I named to each other isn't even close to a fair comparison

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1316541591' post='1034211']

I am not arguing that...... actually I agree..... letting a 4-12 coach make demands doesn't really make sense... but since that's where we are I hope he succeeds....

I was just saying that comparing the players I named to each other isn't even close to a fair comparison
[/quote]

It isn't fair, but it will happen. I'm sure the players welcome the challenge too. Who wouldn't want to prove that they were the right choice? If it's cool with them, I don't have a problem with setting the bar high. I'm sure AJ Green would never shy away from being compared to Chad. It will drive him to greatness. If it does bother them, then they aren't the right guys anyway.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316542082' post='1034215']

It isn't fair, but it will happen. I'm sure the players welcome the challenge too. Who wouldn't want to prove that they were the right choice? If it's cool with them, I don't have a problem with setting the bar high. I'm sure AJ Green would never shy away from being compared to Chad. It will drive him to greatness. If it does bother them, then they aren't the right guys anyway.
[/quote]

Oh I am sure the players embrace the comparisons and will rise to the challenge... I think both players were the right choice and will be fine....

I guess I am just talking about fans expectations and comparisons...
Again.. saying that two rookies with only a few weeks of practice should have the same expectations as two ex pro-bowl players is crazy.... that's all I am saying....

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1316542618' post='1034220']

Oh I am sure the players embrace the comparisons and will rise to the challenge... I think both players were the right choice and will be fine....

I guess I am just talking about fans expectations and comparisons...
Again.. saying that two rookies with only a few weeks of practice should have the same expectations as two ex pro-bowl players is crazy.... that's all I am saying....
[/quote]

Fan expectations come from recent performance. It's good to have a high bar cause that means you expect the best. When Favre left the Packers do you think the fans were saying about Rogers "this dude better be as good as Favre or I will be upset" or "if he steers us to anything higher than the #1 overall pick, that is fine with me"?

I think Go is just mad that lots of you have instantly reverted to "anything better than 0-16 is awesome" mode. That's not awesome. Last season was bad, but the team was talented. 2-7 in games decided by more than one score. That means the team was better than the record. To instantly revert back to Akili mode and set the bar as "don't fall over your own shoes" is dumb.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1316529692' post='1034136']
God Forbid anyone on the internets have some perspective. Lets have more bile filled rantings about trivia. God knows there isn't enough of that around.
[/quote]

Some people just want you to be miserable with them.

If Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie were not on the Colts this year, would the expectations be lower?

If Bress, Colston, and Mecham were not on the Saints this year, would their expectations be lowered?

If Rodgers, Jennings and Driver were not going to be on the Packers, would the expectations be lowered.

And the list can go on, and on. This is the equivilent of what has happened with the Bengals. Lose their franchise QB and the top two WR's.

But even with expectations being lowered, are their fans going to root for their team? Yes!

Will they be encouraged by seeing the teams progress during the course of the year? I think so.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316543026' post='1034226']

Fan expectations come from recent performance. It's good to have a high bar cause that means you expect the best. When Favre left the Packers do you think the fans were saying about Rogers "this dude better be as good as Favre or I will be upset" or "if he steers us to anything higher than the #1 overall pick, that is fine with me"?

I think Go is just mad that lots of you have instantly reverted to "anything better than 0-16 is awesome" mode. That's not awesome. Last season was bad, but the team was talented. 2-7 in games decided by more than one score. That means the team was better than the record. To instantly revert back to Akili mode and set the bar as "don't fall over your own shoes" is dumb.
[/quote]

I have never said that a shitty record is acceptable. Also I don't even like to think about the Akili days....that was a miserable time in Bengals history......

I seriously agree with you guys about that. I did [b]expect [/b]good things from the Bengals and for them to have a better record than last year. I figured they would do it by playing good defense and running the shit out of Ced...

I loved the Green/Dalton picks by the way. I just wasn't expecting Andy to be airing it out with only a few weeks of practice....

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1316533592' post='1034171']

maybe so....

[/quote]

Eh, just give me the opportunity to celebrate 2-0 and alone in first place.
[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316533802' post='1034175']

[/quote]

I'm thinking Bengals management needs to shit or get off the pot with Marvin this year.

Either extend him again or fire him. Having him on a 2 year deal puts them on a bad path post year 10 for Marvin. Which could be at a time that the core of this team is coming into it's own.

I doubt they fire him but there's an easy way to boost lagging ticket sales and interest in your team.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1316531657' post='1034157']

As a board there are some members that have lowered their expectations for the team. As long as they are not the world's most horrible team and as long as rookie's give us excitement then it seems losing has been justified.
[/quote]

*DOUBLE CHECKS THE ID OF THE PERSON I''M QUOTING*

WTF?

I wish I would have read this before I ran out for the day.
Because then I would have had something to laugh at all day. :lol:

YOU challenged anyone and everyone this past offseason that had anything BUT low expectations of this team.
Now you want to challenge anyone that actually has low expectations for this team? Is this a joke?
:lmao:

Make up your damned mind. Geez-US.

Man, how lame is it to see such a troll-bait post from the owner of the damn site? How do I justify losing? [i]Seriously[/i]?

It's easy; every weekend half the teams playing are going to lose. I suppose if our rookie QB in a new offense doesn't go undefeated they must be garbage?

This team last year with your tinman golden-boy QB and well-respected around the league OC couldn't win 5 games. Justify that?

It's obvious that you & yours were anxiously waiting for the first loss so you could spew this BS. You probably wrote it back in April...

[img]http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/10133278.jpg[/img]

Not to say this how things are going to play out, as I expect ups and downs at qb this season, but Dalton is playing much better than "His Quitness who may be remembered as fondly as Jeff George if he's lucky" was at this stage in his career.

So losing does suck, but no way can compare a rookie QB with a veteran, pro bowl MVP, QB challenge extraordinaire.

[quote name='jza10304' timestamp='1316551064' post='1034262']
Not to say this how things are going to play out, as I expect ups and downs at qb this season, but Dalton is playing much better than "H[b]is Quitness who may be remembered as fondly as Jeff George if he's lucky"[/b] was at this stage in his career.

So losing does suck, but no way can compare a rookie QB with a veteran, pro bowl MVP, QB challenge extraordinaire.
[/quote]

Carson will be remember as the Barry Sanders of the Bengals. Sorry.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316551531' post='1034266']

Carson will be remember as the Barry Sanders of the Bengals. Sorry.
[/quote]

Barry Sanders was the greatest to ever play his position and a Hall of Famer.
Carson doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. Not sorry.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1316551850' post='1034270']

Barry Sanders was the greatest to ever play his position and a Hall of Famer.
Carson doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. Not sorry.
[/quote]

Sorry dude, all the football fans I know basically feel this way as outsiders: [i][b] "Carson retired rather than play for the shitty Bengals just like Barry Sanders did with the Lions"[/b][/i]. I talk to hundred of football fans every weekend and when I wear my Bengals gear, that is the general consensus.

That is what the public thinks. You are delirious if you think otherwise.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1316552234' post='1034277']

Interesting.

This just in; The world is flat, the king rules by the grace of god, and marijuana is a gateway drug.
[/quote]

Ok I get that, but I don't give a shit if 100 years from now the NFL of the fans of the future deem Barry Sanders and Carson Palmer quitter pussies. I will be long dead and gone, so I don't care. [b]Right now people generally think they both would rather turn down millions than play for shitty franchises. [/b]

Send out the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria to tell the world about Palmer so the world can be enlightened.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316552053' post='1034275']

Sorry dude, all the football fans I know basically feel this way as outsiders: [i][b] "Carson retired rather than play for the shitty Bengals just like Barry Sanders did with the Lions"[/b][/i]. I talk to hundred of football fans every weekend and when I wear my Bengals gear, that is the general consensus.

That is what the public thinks. You are delirious if you think otherwise.
[/quote]

We've had this discussion before.
Your friends are stupid. It's up to you to educate them.
Since you're stupid too, I guess you'll both continue to be stupid.

Wait. You have "hundreds of friends you talk to every weekend"?
Now that's really stupid.

I live around a bunch of Packers fans. No one here compares Carson to Barry.
They just call him a quitter. And say the team is better off without such a player.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into ANOTHER Carson thread. One being wasted on him here is
more than enough.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1316552580' post='1034283']
I don't think Sois was putting Carson in the same class as Sander. At least I hope he didn't. But he was making the comparison that those 2 players would rather retire than play for the team they were drafted by anymore.
[/quote]

x2

Archived