Aging pets and difficult decisions

Cat

I am posting here for you guys/gals input. Wifey and I are running out of idea, and are getting tired of asking each other's opinion. Most of my other pets had met an untimely demise, so this is something I've never really dealt with before.

We have a 14 year old husky mix. Obviously very sentimental, we got her (Nikita) about 2 weeks after we started dating. That's neither here nor there, but that tells you that she's been with us through it all - marriage, kids, houses, all the moves, etc etc. That just tells you how fond we are.

She has been steadily declining for a year or so. I've read and read stuff on the internet, about listing pros and cons. Neither my wife or I want to be the one who starts the euthanization process (ie calling a vet) but we both understand it's not far off. It may be here now, but i just don't know. How do you know? Most of the things I read, they ask "Is the pet in pain?" Well, yes, we give her meds for it. "Does she enjoy her normal activities?" I don't know, all she does is wander and pace. The vet says this is a sign of senility. She walks into a corner and stands there. She tries to walk under the dining room chairs and gets stuck, then poops and pees on the floor. Mostly blind and deaf. Has a lot of trouble with her back legs. Kept having accidents in the living room, so we kenneled her when we go to bed. Now she still has accidents, even when I wake up to her banging in her kennel at 2 am every night and let her outside.

What are the pros? Well she still seems somewhat lucid, I guess. Her face is more of a blank stare than it used to be. Every once in a while she breaks into a sort-of run when our other dog tears after a squirrel in the back yard. She hasn't done that in a few weeks. Yesterday was a really awful day, she didn't even eat her soft food, but today so far, she's pacing around and not looking as bad.

Fuck... I can't say whether or not she still enjoys living, I assume anyone who is alive and not comatose does. I hate to be the one to say "it's time" if it's too early.

Appreciate any opinions...

So tough. My neighbor had to do this recently. I think you will be able to tell if the dog's quality of life is gone. Dogs are tough as hell so even if you think they're not in pain, they probably are. I think once they start growling at you is when you will know for sure. This makes me very sad. I think if you decide to take her in, you will always know that you provided the best life for her possible.

It sounds like you need to let your friend go. I'm not there, and I'm not a vet, but it sounds like she isn't even there anymore.

I've been in your position myself with the cat my wife and I adopted shortly after we were married and there is nothing about it that doesn't suck. Just make sure that you're there with her when she goes.

The fact that you're here asking for guidance tells me that you already know what you should do.

Respectfully... :(

It's one of the hardest decisions in the world. Sadly it's one of the things that we take on board when we make the decision to have a pet. We understand that their lives are shorter than ours and therefore the day will appear when we have to make one of the hardest decisions it's possible to make in life.
If you love them, it's better to remember them remotely lively, rather than slowly dying and do the right thing.
I don't envy you though. But it does sound like it's that time.
I'm not crying, there is something in my eye.

It is interesting that you posted this. I was home sick and our first 'child', a orange tabby, started having some major issues. We took him to the vet and they thought he has some neurological issues. Wobbly, couldn't stand or walk much, was howling and seemed confused. He was at the vet all night and we were expecting the worst. Long story short, they now think it is an inner ear infection (behind his ear-drum). We are hoping that the the antibotics take care of it. But if that doesn't work, they move on to the next shot. He can't eat or drink currently. I may be having this same discussion in a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...
Well it's over as of last night. She seemed to be doing slightly better, enough to warrant some question on timing. Last night, she made up our minds for us. Right before dinner, she had a seizure, and it was downhill from there. Had her euthanized late last night. While I am very sad, I know she's not hurting anymore. Yes, I stayed with her until the tech told me she had passed. I don't regret that part at all.

Rest in Peace, sweet Nikita.

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/scampo/00_00069.jpg[/IMG]

Like others have said; you've given her the best life possible and for that you should be very proud of yourself.

I always tells myself to not be sad when someone passes... but be happy that you were able to spend the time you did with them. Long live our pups.

Archived