You know what other young QB Dalton reminds me of?

Carson Palmer to Andy Dalton reminds me in some ways of Drew Bledsoe giving way to Tom Brady in 2001.

Back then, Brady wasn't the league MVP he is now. The Pats relied on him to manage the offense, not turn the ball over, and give the receivers a chance to make a play. Bledsoe was the experienced guy, the franchise QB with the big gun who was supposedly irreplaceable.

Obviously there are differences (Brady came in when Bledsoe was injured), but Dalton reminds me a lot of Brady back then. Unflappable and minimal fuck-ups.

[quote name='MaineBengal' timestamp='1320821807' post='1059233']
Carson Palmer to Andy Dalton reminds me in some ways of Drew Bledsoe giving way to Tom Brady in 2001.

Back then, Brady wasn't the league MVP he is now. The Pats relied on him to manage the offense, not turn the ball over, and give the receivers a chance to make a play. Bledsoe was the experienced guy, the franchise QB with the big gun who was supposedly irreplaceable.

Obviously there are differences (Brady came in when Bledsoe was injured), but Dalton reminds me a lot of Brady back then. Unflappable and minimal fuck-ups.
[/quote]

Let's see how he does vs. the Steelers and Ravens before we crown him.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1320852247' post='1059339']

Let's see how he does vs. the Steelers and Ravens before we crown him.
[/quote]
...and if he plays like a Rookie, we can take EVERYTHING away from him right??? And some "important" people can say "I told you so", and return to their "expert" status. Because we all know that the "real" QB's never had a bad game in their lives. Wooo-hoooo, nice!!!! True fans here!!!! :41:

:ninja:

[quote name='esjbh2' timestamp='1320852632' post='1059341']
...and if he plays like a Rookie, we can take EVERYTHING away from him right??? And some "important" people can say "I told you so", and return to their "expert" status. Because we all know that the "real" QB's never had a bad game in their lives. Wooo-hoooo, nice!!!! True fans here!!!! :41:

:ninja:
[/quote]

wtf are you talking about, I didn't say any of that. It's way too soon to compare Andy Dalton to Tom Brady. It's ridiculous actually, the idea is absurd. Dalton has had a nice stretch and played great in his first 8 games, but let's not get carried away. I want to see what he does vs. elite competition before I compare him to one of the best qb's of all time.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1320854768' post='1059352']

wtf are you talking about, I didn't say any of that. It's way too soon to compare Andy Dalton to Tom Brady. It's ridiculous actually, the idea is absurd. Dalton has had a nice stretch and played great in his first 8 games, but let's not get carried away. I want to see what he does vs. elite competition before I compare him to one of the best qb's of all time.
[/quote]

What I think you're missing here is that he's not comparing Dalton to Brady of today, he's comparing Dalton to Brady Circa 2001. you know, 63.9% completions, 2843 yards, 18 td's, 12 interceptions. Taking over for the Big, strong armed, statue QB, and being able to play intelligently, not make mistakes, and take whats given because you have a Strong D to rely on.

[/quote]

It's not absurd to compare Dalton's 2011 with Brady's 2001:

Tom Brady, 2001
264/413, 63.9%, 2843 yards, 6.88ypa, 18TD, 12 INTs, rating 86.5

Andy Dalton, 2011 (projected stats based on first half)
316/514, 61.5%, 3392 yards, 6.6ypa, 24TD, 14 INTs, rating 85.0

Plus it's not just a stats thing. The vibe is similar: a young kid who goes in, makes plays, manages the offense, doesnt' panic, and WINS GAMES.

We can only hope that Dalton develops into an all-time-great as Brady has done.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1320855866' post='1059366']

What I think you're missing here is that he's not comparing Dalton to Brady of today, he's comparing Dalton to Brady Circa 2001. you know, 63.9% completions, 2843 yards, 18 td's, 12 interceptions. Taking over for the Big, strong armed, statue QB, and being able to play intelligently, not make mistakes, and take whats given because you have a Strong D to rely on.
[/quote]

Exactly, KMW.

[/quote]
WTF are YOU talking about??? I was specifically replying to your "wait until he plays against the Stealers and Ravens" comment. I'm so tired of hearing that sh*t. Yes, its absolutely absurd to compare Dalton's career to Brady's career, but that's not what the original poster even said. He simple said the starting of the career is similar between the two...no claims of how it would turn out over the long haul. And you jump in and pull this "wait till he plays some 'real' teams" BS which is getting really, really, really, really, really old, especially from WITHIN this supposed Bengals fan site.

But, okay, I'll play along based on your interpretation of the thread....so you think you'll know if Dalton will end up having the same level of success over the long haul as Brady based on the next two games???

[quote name='MaineBengal' timestamp='1320856199' post='1059369']

It's not absurd to compare Dalton's 2011 with Brady's 2001:

Tom Brady, 2001
264/413, 63.9%, 2843 yards, 6.88ypa, 18TD, 12 INTs, rating 86.5

Andy Dalton, 2011 (projected stats based on first half)
316/514, 61.5%, 3392 yards, 6.6ypa, 24TD, 14 INTs, rating 85.0

Plus it's not just a stats thing. The vibe is similar: a young kid who goes in, makes plays, manages the offense, doesnt' panic, and WINS GAMES.

We can only hope that Dalton develops into an all-time-great as Brady has done.

Exactly, KMW.
[/quote]

I've thought of the two as a comparison also. I just remember and this is fantasy football related, that Brady was already receiving early accolades but his fantasy numbers made him unusable compared to the P. mannings, culpeppers of the world because he was a game manager more or less. Noone on here is saying Dalton is the next Brady but his start is very similar and the comparisons are fun. Loosen up guys. We don't always have to be literal. Palmer after the 2005 regular season was consistently considered Manning future equal. Then he got Kimo'd and we all no the rest of the story. Things have to lay out perfect for this kid but his start is a great start. I've seen this kid play smarter than Palmer ever did, ala Brady.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1320850846' post='1059317']
You guys remember that time when Bobby Booshay came at half time and we won the game do ya?
[/quote]

My Mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.

Archived