The Good, Bad, and Ugly

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1321219680' post='1062208']

Wow, let's not get ahead of ourselves here...Fringe players have big weeks all the time, doesn't mean they're starting material all of a sudden.
[/quote]

I like Hawk and like how we work a few plays for him every week. However, I'm not sure I'm ready to give him the slot just yet. I would however like to see more production out of that position.

[quote name='Ogremeister' timestamp='1321219609' post='1062203']
Giving up that 3rd and 19 was killer. Allowed them to score on that drive. Some drops and key injuries. Also, a bogus holding call. Those were the big difference in the game. Obviously, the two picks were as well. One was too high that was batted in the air, and the other looked like a communication error between andy and rome.
[/quote]
I thought first INT was more a chance deflection than anything. Was a questionable throw, but if Timmons wasn't if perfect position it's just an incompletion.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' timestamp='1321219038' post='1062167']
Can someone please tell me where that holding was on Whitworth? We worked a 1st down but was called back for a phantom hold on Whit........That was an absolute killer. I saw nothing.
[/quote]

Absolutely did nothing wrong. Can't put him in the bad category.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' timestamp='1321220198' post='1062226']

Absolutely did nothing wrong. Can't put him in the bad category.
[/quote]
That reminds me, I'm pretty sure the O line dint give up a sack and only had one legit holding call. That is definitely a positive against a legit D.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1321220325' post='1062227']
Simpson really hurt us today. He needed to step up and make plays when Green went down. He has so much potential to be great but he just checks out mentally for long period of times.
[/quote]

[img]http://www.officialpsds.com/images/thumbs/Weed-blunt-psd4491.png[/img]

[quote name='BengalsNYC' timestamp='1321219038' post='1062167']
Can someone please tell me where that holding was on Whitworth? We worked a 1st down but was called back for a phantom hold on Whit........That was an absolute killer. I saw nothing.
[/quote]

what i heard was it was a hand to the face, not a hold. after rewatching it that makes more sense too, because there just could not be a hold going on there. that's a call that quite often doesn't get called in the scrum of OL play, but i can't fault the official because it's just too hard to tell from the camera view we had. obviously, the official was much closer that we were.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1321220630' post='1062234']

what i heard was it was a hand to the face, not a hold. after rewatching it that makes more sense too, because there just could not be a hold going on there. that's a call that quite often doesn't get called in the scrum of OL play, but i can't fault the official because it's just too hard to tell from the camera view we had. obviously, the official was much closer that we were.
[/quote]

yea johannsen just interviewed him and they were talking about hands to the face.

fwiw, johanssen is now saying Hall's injury is not official yet.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1321220783' post='1062241']

yea johannsen just interviewed him and they were talking about hands to the face.

fwiw, johanssen is now saying Hall's injury is not official yet.
[/quote]

good god let's just hope not. certainly he had a bad day prior to the injury, but we don't know if there was a strain that got worse. he certainly looked a step slow, at least from my viewpoint, but this hasn't been a banner year for him.

[quote name='Jeff Blake' timestamp='1321219484' post='1062195']
6-3 isn't bad. I still think we'll win 9 or 10. Most importantly the future is bright.
[/quote]

WInning 9 shouldn't be a problem. We have Cleveland, Arizona and St. Louis next. Split the other 4 and we are 11-5 and in the Playoffs. Just need Jones back, as I think Hall is done. Need AJ in a BIG WAY!

had to add a personal good. My 21 month old son is quite proficient at bringing me beers from the fridge, despite no prior training. Unfortunately, he would not be good for a Budweiser commercial as he doesn't know when to say when. Got 6 unopened ones in front of me at the moment. :)

Good
- OL played well overall, opening holes vs the run and doing well on pass pro
- Geathers and Frostee were DL standouts
- Manny continuing to play better as the season progresses
- Bernard Scott really ran well, and Ced had some nice runs as well
- STs were solid
- Andrew Hawkins
- Dalton's decision making and game management for a playoff type atmosphere, especially for a rookie

Bad/Ugly
- 3rd down D. Some really bad ones, like 3rd and 19
- Tackling was as bad as we've seen since 1st half of Buffalo
- Simpson -drops, routes, just uninspired, unfocused play
- Caldwell inconsistency
- Injuries to AJ and Hall

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1321221501' post='1062256']
Good
- OL played well overall, opening holes vs the run and doing well on pass pro
- Geathers and Frostee were DL standouts
- Manny continuing to play better as the season progresses
- Bernard Scott really ran well, and Ced had some nice runs as well
- STs were solid
- Andrew Hawkins
- Dalton's decision making and game management for a playoff type atmosphere, especially for a rookie

Bad/Ugly
- [b]3rd down D. Some really bad ones, like 3rd and 19[/b]
- Tackling was as bad as we've seen since 1st half of Buffalo
- Simpson -drops, routes, just uninspired, unfocused play
- Caldwell inconsistency
- Injuries to AJ and Hall
[/quote]

yea I was gonna come in and complain about the 3rd down D, but looking at the stats Pitt was only 5 of 12 for the game. The 3rd and 10 conversion and 3rd and 19 conversion on that 3rd quarter TD drive though were killers, and possibly the difference in the game.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1321222853' post='1062292']

yea I was gonna come in and complain about the 3rd down D, but looking at the stats Pitt was only 5 of 12 for the game. The 3rd and 10 conversion and 3rd and 19 conversion on that 3rd quarter TD drive though were killers, and possibly the difference in the game.
[/quote]

think the diffrence in the game was spoting them 14 points so early and having to climb outta that hole without aj green

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1321223882' post='1062312']
I can't believe no one has said it yet but zero sacks. Dalton did a heck of a job moving around and throwing the ball away. Very impressive to play the Steelers for the first time and not get sacked.
[/quote]

Great point. He just dumped a few balls when he was being pressured rather than forcing something. He gets it. He knows where the pressure is coming from and how to get outside the pocket when needed/designed.

[quote name='BengalsCat' timestamp='1321224519' post='1062317']
def agree with no sacks but whit did take a hell of a holding call trying to keep him clean
[/quote]

jesus crist, he was going up against james harrison, one of the best in the game. so he got the jump ONE TIME. it's whitworth's job to protect his QB at all costs, which he did. so what if an all pro got the jump on him on one god damned play vs the other 55 offensive plays during the game. SMH!

whit again played a helluva game!

The good:

Zero false starts/delay of game penalties
Zero sacks allowed
109 yards rushing (4.2 per attempt)
Only one scoring drive allowed in the 2nd half

The bad:

Lost the turnover battle
Holding penalties wiped out at least two big plays
Allowed at least 100 yards rushing and 200 yards passing

The ugly:

Injuries to Hall and Green
Giving up a 3rd and 19 on the Steelers' go-ahead drive
Numerous missed tackles

I can't believe no one has said it yet but zero sacks. Dalton did a heck of a job moving around and throwing the ball away. Very impressive to play the Steelers for the first time and not get sacked.
[/quote]
To add on to this, 2007 was the last time the Bengals gave up zero sacks against the Steelers ending a 7 game streak where the Steelers got at least one sack against them.

Good: LT brought Canadian beer. Greens catch.
Bad: I didn't get any Canadian beer because of the Cooler Guards :). Green injured his leg as a result of that catch.
Ugly: Steelers women
Interesting Notes: There was a guy with a live raccoon on his head outside the stadium. Gruden was animated with his waving hands in the air while discussing something to Dalton as he walked off the field. No interception or fumble that time so I have no idea what it was about for sure. There was a wide open receiver best the end zone though.

When do I pick up my autographed Dalton jersey ? :)

[/quote]

Just overall this year, that has been huge. 9 games, and what - 13 sacks given up ? That's on track for less than 25 for the year.

Typically with young QBs, you either see the QB holding on to the ball way too long -resulting in a lot of sacks - or the QB getting happy feet and tucking and running, or not waiting long enough for the play to develop.

Really, we haven't seen much, if any of that. Some inaccuracy at times, some work to do on long balls, sometimes throwing high, likely some crossed-up communications with receivers... but overall, really impressive.

Archived