Realistic Targets

OK, so its way too early for this type of discussion, but this thread can be edited along the way.

Let's be honest. All of us would love to have Trent Richardson, but barring a colossal collapse by either the Bengals or Raiders, its not going to happen. Even Dre Kirkpatrick and Morris Claiborne are likely out of reach.

So, rather than focusing on them, let's build a list of REALISTIC options for the Bengals first 3 picks at positions of need.

Feel free to add your own.

[b]First Round Picks (both in the 20's)[/b]

OL Cordy Glenn, Georgia

CB Alfonso Dennard, Nebraska

CB Chase Minnifield, Virginia

OG David DeCastro, Stanford

RB Lamar Miller, Miami

WR Nick Toon, Wisky

WR Dwight Jones, UNC

OL kelechi osemele, Iowa state

CB Janoris Jenkins, Northern Alabama

[b]Second Round Pick (late 2nd round)[/b]

RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech

RB Doug Martin, Boise State

RB Montee Ball, Wisconsin

RB Chris Polk, Washington

OG Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin

OG Ryan Miller, Colorado

WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers

CB Stephon Gilmore, SCar

OG Lucas Nix, Pitt

S Ray Ray Armstrong, Mia

S Mark Barron, Alabama

WR Ryan Broyles

[b]Additional First Round Possibilities:[/b]
RB Lamar Miller, Miami

WR Nick Toon, Wisky

WR Dwight Jones, UNC (depending on which site you look at)

[b]Additional Second Round Possibilities:[/b]

WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers

CB Stephon Gilmore, SCar

OG Lucas Nix, Pitt

S Ray Ray Armstrong, Mia

S Mark Barron, Alabama

Something else to consider. I wouldn't touch him in 1, but would the Bengals take Janoris Jenkins in 1?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1321971825' post='1066243']
[b]you really think Nick Toon is first round caliber?[/b]

Yea the only reason I didn't add Barron and Jenkins is I expect them both to be gone by the 2nd round pick. I can add them though.
[/quote]

He's an early 2, but if they decide WR is a need, it wouldn't be a big reach, depending on how late the pick is.

I can't believe you don't have Michael Floyd from Notre Dame on there for First Round. 6'3" 230 lbs great hands and break away speed. Yeah he has had some alcohol related problems, but the kid has cleaned up this year. Also Mike Adams OT from Ohio St. He's 6'8" and 320 lbs. I believe he has started since being a true freshman.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1321988267' post='1066303']
I can't believe you don't have Michael Floyd from Notre Dame on there for First Round. 6'3" 230 lbs great hands and break away speed. Yeah he has had some alcohol related problems, but the kid has cleaned up this year. Also Mike Adams OT from Ohio St. He's 6'8" and 320 lbs. I believe he has started since being a true freshman.
[/quote]

I'll be surprised if Michael Floyd makes it anywhere near the mid 20's. That's why he's not on there.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1321988267' post='1066303']
[/quote]

Floyd will be long gone before we pick.

Mike Adams did not start until his junior year. Mike Brewster started as a true freshman. And Adams is a left tackle which we do not need.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1321994512' post='1066336']

Floyd will be long gone before we pick.

Mike Adams did not start until his junior year. Mike Brewster started as a true freshman. And Adams is a left tackle which we do not need.
[/quote]

Adams could easily be moved to RT. This would be really easy if he has a year to learn and do so while Smith plays out the last year of his contract.

Kendall Wright of Baylor belongs in the late round 1 discussion, I think. And Stephon Gilmore might be a round 1 guy, too, although he's more of a zone corner. Great run defender and physical player who's good in coverage, too.

And depending on how bad his knee is, Broyles may be a later pick.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd say David Wilson might be too small to use a first on unless he runs a 4.24, but Janoris is on point. He could probably play week 1 next year and be stellar. He would be an upgrade over Adam and Kelly, will probably be better than Leon down the line.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1323975093' post='1075281']

I'd be highly pissed off if they are our 2 first round picks.
[/quote]

if Marvin is truly running personnel decisions now, I just can't see them taking Jenkins in the first round. I get the impression that we are now in "make sure our first rounder is a slam dunk, particularly with regards to character" mode. Jenkins in the 2nd round wouldn't shock me at all though if they think he checks out.

Wilson, despite his stats, has just never wowed me. Kind of like Montee Ball. Amazing stats, but nothing stands out to me and says "elite back"

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1323975093' post='1075281']

I'd be highly pissed off if they are our 2 first round picks.
[/quote]

Lol. I dont know why.....i would be extatic if those were our 1st rounders. David Wilson is a future star in this league and Janoris Jenkins has stayed out of trouble since transferring and is the most talented corner in this entire draft.

For the person who wants David Wilson in the the 3rd....no way in hell he will be there that late. By the time the draft rolls around he will be solidified as the #2 back in the draft and a solid 1st round status. Dont let his measureables fool you. He does not run like a small back he has the best speed/power ratio i have seen since Peterson/Mcfadden. Hes not as powerful as Peterson or anything like that but he runs extremely hard for his size and is tough to bring down.

The only RB that im not really interested in is Lamar Miller. Too much Chris Perry in that kid. Hes fast but not a burner, goes down on 1st contact and shys away from contact at every point. I have no idea how he is rated as highly as he is...I had the same concerns about Perry and was super pissed when we drafted that bum.

[quote name='Mikey6866' timestamp='1324057741' post='1075514']

Lol. I dont know why.....i would be extatic if those were our 1st rounders. David Wilson is a future star in this league and [b]Janoris Jenkins has stayed out of trouble since transferring [/b]and is the most talented corner in this entire draft.

For the person who wants David Wilson in the the 3rd....no way in hell he will be there that late. By the time the draft rolls around he will be solidified as the #2 back in the draft and a solid 1st round status. Dont let his measureables fool you. He does not run like a small back he has the best speed/power ratio i have seen since Peterson/Mcfadden. Hes not as powerful as Peterson or anything like that but he runs extremely hard for his size and is tough to bring down.

The only RB that im not really interested in is Lamar Miller. Too much Chris Perry in that kid. Hes fast but not a burner, goes down on 1st contact and shys away from contact at every point. I have no idea how he is rated as highly as he is...I had the same concerns about Perry and was super pissed when we drafted that bum.
[/quote]

No, he hasn't.

There will be better backs available than Wilson, and I want Glenn or DeCastro in 1.

Wilson is good, but when you watch him, you never have a "wow" moment that impresses you.

I'm slightly concerned about MIller for the same reasons you are. He's not over physical and while he's a burner I think he's too patient of a runner.

As for your Perry comments...sour grapes. Perry's drawbacks had nothing to do with his play, but with his injuries. And Perry was never one to shy away from contact.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1324058925' post='1075517']
Wilson is good, but when you watch him, you never have a "wow" moment that impresses you.

I'm slightly concerned about MIller for the same reasons you are. He's not over physical and while he's a burner I think he's too patient of a runner.

As for your Perry comments...sour grapes. Perry's drawbacks had nothing to do with his play, but with his injuries. And Perry was never one to shy away from contact.
[/quote]

Perry was not a physical runner at all. I saw him shy away from contact countless times. Perry completely healthy would never have been an impact RB regardless. I guess we will just have to disagree on that one. I was yelling loud for Steven Jackson at the time....couldent have been more displeased with the Perry pick.

David Wilson against Wake( and various other teams) had some wow plays, and countless times it seems as if hes about to go down and all of a sudden he keeps his balance and gets another 10 yards. That is what i love about Wilson, not to mention his gamebreaking speed. Wilson has some of the best balance I have seen, reminds me of Ray Rice in regards to exceptional balance and ability to keep the play alive.

[quote name='Mikey6866' timestamp='1324063756' post='1075556']

Perry was not a physical runner at all. I saw him shy away from contact countless times. [b]Perry completely healthy would never have been an impact RB regardless. [/b] I guess we will just have to disagree on that one. I was yelling loud for Steven Jackson at the time....couldent have been more displeased with the Perry pick.

David Wilson against Wake( and various other teams) had some wow plays, and countless times it seems as if hes about to go down and all of a sudden he keeps his balance and gets another 10 yards. That is what i love about Wilson, not to mention his gamebreaking speed. Wilson has some of the best balance I have seen, reminds me of Ray Rice in regards to exceptional balance and ability to keep the play alive.
[/quote]

I suppose that 2005 season just never happened.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1324069657' post='1075577']
This mock doent really address our need for an OG, but it is a homerun on everything else...

[url="http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php"]http://walterfootbal...m/draft2012.php[/url]
[/quote]
Swap Glenn for Jenkins and I like it a lot.

Archived