*** FINISHED BASEMENT - its over... ***

GoBengals

looking forward to some re-modeling we've got going on next week.  Nothing as big as this, but finally finishing up the kids bathroom and putting in some new flooring in the dining room and office.

nice!

I cant wait to do the main floor of the house flooring... we are going to do tile on the whole main floor...

wood floors shrink and expand a LOT here... so thats out.. the fake wood is ok, carpet is dangerous with children and a hassle to vacuum and so on all the time..

so tile is it... and its probably going to cost $7500-9000 to rip of what we have and prep and lay tile, im not gonna do it. and i need a floor design designed too, something "nice" looking and separates the rooms well, etc..

they also make some tile that looks like wood, but you can be a bit more creative with it...

thats WAY down the road...

nice!

I cant wait to do the main floor of the house flooring... we are going to do tile on the whole main floor...

wood floors shrink and expand a LOT here... so thats out.. the fake wood is ok, carpet is dangerous with children and a hassle to vacuum and so on all the time..

so tile is it... and its probably going to cost $7500-9000 to rip of what we have and prep and lay tile, im not gonna do it. and i need a floor design designed too, something "nice" looking and separates the rooms well, etc..

they also make some tile that looks like wood, but you can be a bit more creative with it...

yea our dining room has carpet (I mean who puts carpet in a dining room, really?).  Will be very glad to be rid of it.

Would also like to replace our deck sometime in the next year. We also plan to overhaul the kitchen before we ever move.

sounds like youll be as busy if not busier than me the next few years..

flooring, basement, back patio, then... the GARAGE!

i may actually start on the garage as soon as i am done with the basement... its half drywalled now, so it would be about 20-25 sheets which is only $200, compound and tape would only be $50, and probably $300-400 in labor, so $650 tops, to get it "finished"...

i have all of the basement furniture in the 3rd garage bay now, so once thats all moved down and cleared... i will have to decide to do that then or later..

soon neither my wife or I will need to take this dirt utility road to work, so there wont be dirt and mud all over the garage after winter.. i want to also seal or finish the garage floor some how...

but im getting WAY ahead of myself... i cant afford the primer or paint i need next in the basement yet...

You probably know this already, but from the experience of a friend of mine I can tell you to make that thing absolutely raccoon-proof. They will dig under fence or otherwise find any possible way to get in there. He has a few large dogs too but he doesn't leave them outdoors and even with a doggie-door or the like you wouldn't want them catching rabies or god-knows-what from tearing into a raccoon anyway.

Thanks for the second set of eyes.  Even though I think I know what I am doing, I sometimes overlook things.  I did know about the protection measures to put in place around the coop and am glad I did it before everything was completed.  Burying hardware cloth is one thousand percent easier in the construction phase and not as a retrofit.

The current pictures don't show the hardware cloth ( 1 / 2 inch square galvanized wire) beneath the gravel base.  New pictures will show the hardware cloth around the entire foundation, 2 x 4 inch Redbrand fence (no climb horse fence) totally enclosing an approximately 1200 square feet run with half the run used as a garden one year while the chickens roam the other half, and an enclosed cedar picket 6 foot tall around overhang behind the coop.  Kind of overkill but there are foxes, raccoons, deer (don't kill chickens but destroy fences and gardens), and the inevitable stray dog that roams around the area.  The other issue is predatory birds which I love watching (hawks mostly) but will destroy an entire flock real quick.  The predatory birds is why the entire back portion is enclosed (with ventilation) on the rear portion.  I even have a rainwater collection system for watering the chickens but still need a few parts to finish that idea.

Thanks to Ryan I will also be putting in panels on the ceiling of the family room and the metal style in the kitchen...  Love the look of metal tiles in the kitchen.  Reminds me of my grandmother's kitchen.  What I don't like is that the honey do list just increased dramatically after she looked over my shoulder on this thread.

Thanks to Ryan I will also be putting in panels on the ceiling of the family room and the metal style in the kitchen...  Love the look of metal tiles in the kitchen.  Reminds me of my grandmother's kitchen.  What I don't like is that the honey do list just increased dramatically after she looked over my shoulder on this thread.

I can relate...

So, yeah, I'm trying to get around to finally finishing my basement a couple years after starting it, and my wifey happened to catch me looking at Beaver's finished basement pics.  He really makes the rest of us look bad.   Wifey:  "Oooo, we should get crown and chair rail molding too!!!!...wow look at those details!!!....look at that ceiling!!!!....why didn't you box in those columns like that???".  Curse you Beaver!!!!   Seriously dude, that basement looks incredible, nice job.

I can relate...

So, yeah, I'm trying to get around to finally finishing my basement a couple years after starting it, and my wifey happened to catch me looking at Beaver's finished basement pics.  He really makes the rest of us look bad.   Wifey:  "Oooo, we should get crown and chair rail molding too!!!!...wow look at those details!!!....look at that ceiling!!!!....why didn't you box in those columns like that???".  Curse you Beaver!!!!   Seriously dude, that basement looks incredible, nice job.

If my wife caught me looking at beavers, I would be in trouble too...  :rsju31uh9:

I can relate...

Sorry brotha!!!!  Thanks man. 

I know the feeling, it took me two years to complete that thing, but when it's done it's well worth it.  The biggest pain in the A$$ with all of that was the caulking and finishing of every single piece of trim..it took forever!  Your wife has a good eye, I'd keep her around...unless you get tired of the honeydo's.

nice!

We bought a Neato robotic vacuum and run it every couple of days. It vacuums the 2000 sq. ft. first floor of our house (probably 50/50 carpet/wood floors) without any problems as long as we pick up shit off the floor. Does quite an amazing job, we're definitely impressed.

sounds like youll be as busy if not busier than me the next few years..

flooring, basement, back patio, then... the GARAGE!

i may actually start on the garage as soon as i am done with the basement... its half drywalled now, so it would be about 20-25 sheets which is only $200, compound and tape would only be $50, and probably $300-400 in labor, so $650 tops, to get it "finished"...

i have all of the basement furniture in the 3rd garage bay now, so once thats all moved down and cleared... i will have to decide to do that then or later..

soon neither my wife or I will need to take this dirt utility road to work, so there wont be dirt and mud all over the garage after winter.. i want to also seal or finish the garage floor some how...

but im getting WAY ahead of myself... i cant afford the primer or paint i need next in the basement yet...

I went from a fully insulated, 4 foot bumpout 3 car garage to a standard, uninsulated 2 car garage with 40% of the walls drywalled. As soon as things settle down I will be finishing my garage as well. Still need to figure out how I'm going to fit all of my tools and car part shelves in it...

I went from a fully insulated, 4 foot bumpout 3 car garage to a standard, uninsulated 2 car garage with 40% of the walls drywalled. As soon as things settle down I will be finishing my garage as well. Still need to figure out how I'm going to fit all of my tools and car part shelves in it...

yea i cane from an apartment with  parking lot, to then my sisters parking on the street to a big ass garage... so size wise, its awesome.. just eager to get it polished up...

priming wlls is the worst... never rolled on primer before.. that shit sucks.. never feel like youre making progress it soaks in immediately and is partiall see through so you feel the need to add coats, which is clearly not necessary, shit takes forever..

THIS will be procrastinated for some time....

priming wlls is the worst... never rolled on primer before.. that shit sucks.. never feel like youre making progress it soaks in immediately and is partiall see through so you feel the need to add coats, which is clearly not necessary, shit takes forever..

THIS will be procrastinated for some time....

have you considered the primer & paint at all?

I've spent the last day or so working on our bathroom.  it's looking great but dang has it been harder than it should have been.  The more work we do on the house the more we realize how much the previous owners half-assed the maintenance and renovations in this house, and its causing us to have to fix their mistakes.  

have you considered the primer & paint at all?

I've spent the last day or so working on our bathroom.  it's looking great but dang has it been harder than it should have been.  The more work we do on the house the more we realize how much the previous owners half-assed the maintenance and renovations in this house, and its causing us to have to fix their mistakes.  

i did.. but from what i read, it doesnt do as well on the raw drywall as a legit primer and then straight up high quality paint.. sherwin williams has the 40% off sale rolling this weekend, so im going to get their high end paint, worked great on the rest of my house...

i did.. but from what i read, it doesnt do as well on the raw drywall as a legit primer and then straight up high quality paint.. sherwin williams has the 40% off sale rolling this weekend, so im going to get their high end paint, worked great on the rest of my house...

Second the motion on the high quality paint.  Used the big box store crap for years.  I didn't know what I was missing.  Then I switched to Porter and now use mostly Sherwin-Williams...both are very, very good.  Porter and S-W both require getting past some sticker shock, but at 40% off its all good.

Can't wait to see some of your post-painted pics.  You guys are helping thru a long dry spell on finishing my basement.  It was supposed to be finished a year ago.  :(

Second the motion on the high quality paint.  Used the big box store crap for years.  I didn't know what I was missing.  Then I switched to Porter and now use mostly Sherwin-Williams...both are very, very good.  Porter and S-W both require getting past some sticker shock, but at 40% off its all good.

Can't wait to see some of your post-painted pics.  You guys are helping thru a long dry spell on finishing my basement.  It was supposed to be finished a year ago.  :(

mine too, but funding was my only holdup... we were on a roll with the walls, wiring, etc... after paint its going to be great to get the 24 outlets and everything lit up and working down there, as soon as wall plates are put on, its going to start looking like a real room....i have to clean the floors before i paint though.. drywall dust is everywhere...

Primer primer primer.

90% done. Have to add a second coat of primer to some thin areas. I caulked the corners and areas needing it. Swept and shop vacuumed the floor. Bought sherwin Williams cashmere line of paint in a dark grey color.

Eager to get going. Hope to finish primer for good tomorrow night and paint Friday.

We shall see how that plan holds up.

• 3 weeks later...

got a coat of paint on the two main rooms, realized im going to need a bunch more paint, so slight delay there... i ALSO decided to frost the windows down there, privacy but light can get in..

ran out of frost spray.. second can coming in an hour or so... im going to finish that up tonight... and finish taping off everything in the stairway for painting there.. and wipe down the baseboards so i can tape them off... etc...

its all coming together slowly

OH and i got the ceiling tile samples in.. they are kinda flimsy but look good.. and are 40% of the cost of the high end ones, so i will get 15-20 extras in case kids damage a few over the years...

• 4 months later...

i swear i will finish this SOMEDAY...

got a second coat of paint on everything but the staircase, which has its first coat. ran to lowes and home depot and got doors yesterday, its amazing the price difference in those two stores these days. HD was $70 less for one door, and Lowes was $8 less for each of the other 5 doors, plus i had them match or use 10% off lowes coupons, so i saved a bundle and spent the gift cards my sister has been giving me

ANYWAY.. got home, and unloaded the doors the double wood french door were crazy heavy.. the single pre hung doors didnt weigh hardly anything..

anyway.. got the french doors hung..

theyll be painted white later.. but you can see the wall color a little bit here and the new doors.

[attachment=1291:1513866_10202930937017343_796048531_o.jpg]

after the doors i will do the outlets, then the can lights, etc..

sadly my dad is leaving for florida monday for two months, soooo my work flow will be minimal while he is gone..

Archived