The 2012 Combine and Pro Days Thread

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1333034684' post='1113468']
Richardson just ran a 4.58 forty. Barron ran a 4.54 and Upshaw a 4.7. Richardson might fall a tad because of his forty.
[/quote]

I don't think any team is going to be concerned about him running a 4.58 at 228lbs.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1333034684' post='1113468']
Richardson just ran a 4.58 forty. Barron ran a 4.54 and Upshaw a 4.7. Richardson might fall a tad because of his forty.
[/quote]
Let's hope!

I think we should just draft nothing but SEC players. These guys are just bulls coming out of college.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1333035372' post='1113474']
Well Martin is 5'09" 227 and ran a 4.47 forty at the combine that must be extremely impressive then.
[/quote]

fwiw, Martin was 223lbs at the combine not 227, and he ran a 4.55 not a 4.47.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/doug-martin?id=2532899"]http://www.nfl.com/c...rtin?id=2532899[/url]

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1333035372' post='1113474']
Well Martin is 5'09" 227 and ran a 4.47 forty at the combine that must be extremely impressive then.
[/quote]

I like martin, but he is at 100%. Richardson ran that after coming off a knee procedure at is only at a reported 70%. 230 pounds, running a 4.58 forty at only 70%, ill take me some of that.

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1333035870' post='1113479']

I like martin, but he is at 100%. Richardson ran that after coming off a knee procedure at is only at a reported 70%. 230 pounds, running a 4.58 forty at only 70%, ill take me some of that.
[/quote]

forgot about the knee scope. Good point.

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1333035870' post='1113479']

[/quote]

Barron is also "70%" and ran a 4.54 forty give me some of that too. The only who I think is struggling is Kirkpatrick he seems likhe he.has never run theses drill before.

Yeah, I think Kirkpatrick got a little exposed at the combine. I'm afraid we might miss Gilmore now, because he's rising fast.

Hard to trust Barron saying 70%, but if that were true and he was a 4.4 guy I think he gets himself into solid 20-30 territory. Curious to know what their shuttle times were - although a knee and double hernia are about two of the worst injuries to be coming off of for those...

Outside of his breaking tackles ability, what does Richarson give you that Doug Martin doesn't? I would bet that Martin ran around more people untouched than Richardson did (big assumption, I know... but I see Richardson as more of a "run thru you" type of guy for the most part while I look at DM as a hybrid of thru you and around you). If you want bang for your buck, I think Martin is the better choice... and I bet he lasts longer.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1333038504' post='1113500']
[b]Outside of his breaking tackles ability[/b], what does Richarson give you that Doug Martin doesn't? I would bet that Martin ran around more people untouched than Richardson did (big assumption, I know... but I see Richardson as more of a "run thru you" type of guy for the most part while I look at DM as a hybrid of thru you and around you). If you want bang for your buck, I think Martin is the better choice... and I bet he lasts longer.
[/quote]

you say that like its no big deal and easy to ignore.

I'd give trent an edge in size, speed, power, and receiving ability. All while playing a much higher level of competition.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1333038474' post='1113499']
Yeah, I think Kirkpatrick got a little exposed at the combine. I'm afraid we might miss Gilmore now, because he's rising fast.

Hard to trust Barron saying 70%, but if that were true and he was a 4.4 guy I think he gets himself into solid 20-30 territory. Curious to know what their shuttle times were - although a knee and double hernia are about two of the worst injuries to be coming off of for those...
[/quote]

if they were smart, especially in richardson's case, he'd refuse to run one. coming off a knee surgery he has everything to lose, and nothing to gain, by participating in that drill.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1333040791' post='1113516']

if they were smart, especially in richardson's case, he'd refuse to run one. coming off a knee surgery he has everything to lose, and nothing to gain, by participating in that drill.
[/quote]

that can be debated. I think Richardson helped himself by still running a solid time after surgery. Refusing to run could make teams think the injury is more serious.

NFL Network's Lindsay Rhodes reports that Alabama RB Trent Richardson's forty times at Thursday's Pro Day ranged between 4.46 and 4.51.
They're certainly faster than the twin 4.58s claimed by ESPN3. In a bit of ESPN-on-ESPN crime, it's been repeatedly mentioned on [i]SportsCenter[/i] that Richardson ran "in the 4.4s." This news is for detail-oriented draftniks. We know long speed is not a deficiency of Richardson's; he doesn't have many.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333039225' post='1113505']

you say that like its no big deal and easy to ignore.

I'd give trent an edge in size, speed, power, and receiving ability. All while playing a much higher level of competition.
[/quote]
I stated it how it is. He can break tackles... probably better than any other prospect out there and probably the best since Adrian Peterson came along. I guess I could put it in a cool font and maybe go ahead and bold it next time. It's an awesome trait he has, but his strength is the only thing I see that DM cannot give you that he does.

I look at it like this... if Richardson falls to 17 and you're sure he's a diamond, grab him; I'll be down with almost whoever we choose in the 1st. I don't see that much of a difference between Martin and Richardson outside of his breaking tackle ability. When I watch Martin, I see him trying to avoid tackles... Richardson will often just go through guys. This doesn't mean that Richardson cannot consistently go around guys, but he doesn't because he doesn't always have to, and Doug Martin does. I think Martin will last longer and be less likely to be injured. There is nothing out there that suggests to me that Doug Martin isn't a top notch receiving threat.

Like I said, bang for the buck... let's give a Richardson a top half first round grade and Doug Martin a low half first round, top half 2nd round grade (probably being too generous hoping he'd fall well into the 2nd)... fair enough?

I'd MUCH rather take Martin with my #21 or trade back and grab him if possible than use an extra 2nd or 3rd to jump up and get Richardson. As much hype there is around Richardson, it's hard to believe we have any chance at him at #17.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1333043349' post='1113538']
I stated it how it is. He can break tackles... probably better than any other prospect out there and probably the best since Adrian Peterson came along. I guess I could put it in a cool font and maybe go ahead and bold it next time. It's an awesome trait he has, but his strength is the only thing I see that DM cannot give you that he does.

I look at it like this... if Richardson falls to 17 and you're sure he's a diamond, grab him; I'll be down with almost whoever we choose in the 1st. I don't see that much of a difference between Martin and Richardson outside of his breaking tackle ability. When I watch Martin, I see him trying to avoid tackles... Richardson will often just go through guys. This doesn't mean that Richardson cannot consistently go around guys, but he doesn't because he doesn't always have to, and Doug Martin does. I think Martin will last longer and be less likely to be injured. There is nothing out there that suggests to me that Doug Martin isn't a top notch receiving threat.

Like I said, bang for the buck... let's give a Richardson a top half first round grade and Doug Martin a low half first round, top half 2nd round grade (probably being too generous hoping he'd fall well into the 2nd)... fair enough?

I'd MUCH rather take Martin with my #21 or trade back and grab him if possible than use an extra 2nd or 3rd to jump up and get Richardson. As much hype there is around Richardson, it's hard to believe we have any chance at him at #17.
[/quote]

the concern would be that with the speed of the NFL, Martin likely can't avoid as many guys. Can he plow through them when needed? The same could be asked of Richardson though, can he still run through the stronger guys in the NFL?

I think Richardson is the way better prospect, but I agree with your end point that of taking Martin at #21 vs using a 2nd to trade up for Richardson. I might go for using a 3rd to move up though.

In other new Ryan Tannehill absolutely lit up his pro-day this afternoon...4.58 forty and completed 65 of 68 passes with 2 drops. He's a flat-out top 10 lock, possibly top 5.

[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,].[url="https://twitter.com/#!/OfficialBrowns"][s]@[/s][b]OfficialBrowns[/b][/url] & Ryan Tannehill? There's interest from Cleveland, according to [url="https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora"][s]@[/s][b]JasonLaCanfora[/b][/url]: [/font][/color]
[list]
[*]
[*][color=#333333]Weinke on Tannehill: "No question in my mind he's a franchise guy."[/color]
[/list]
[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,][size=3][color=#999999][size=3]Retweeted by [url="https://twitter.com/#!/ABXXV25"][b]Alex Brown[/b][/url][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,][size=3][url="https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter"][b]Adam Schefter[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]AdamSchefter[/b][/url][/size][/font][/color][list]
[*][color=#333333][size=3]RT [/size][/color][url="https://twitter.com/#!/fmr5998"][s]@[/s][b]fmr5998[/b][/url][color=#333333][size=3]: 4.58 for Ryan Tannehill at Pro Day. ... So I've heard. A lock as a Top 10 pick. Might be even higher.[/size][/color]
[/list]

Yeah, I hope Cleveberg takes Tannehill. It will take him a couple of years to learn the position, about as long as their patience will last.

Over at JungleNoise, sombody posted that their friend ran into Zimmer socially and chatted with him. Said Zimmer loves Mark Barron.

Archived