Terrell Suggs likely out for the year; Ed Reed not 100% committed to play this season

[b]SLANTS AND SCREENS:[/b] With word that that Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs tore his Achilles' last week, he's saying he'll be back at some point this season because it's partially torn. But you have to figure he won't be around for the Sept. 10 opener in Baltimore against the Bengals and if he does come back how effective is he going to be in the season finale at Paul Brown Stadium just seven months away?

Between Whitworth and Levi Jones, the Bengals' left tackles have done a stand-up job against Suggs since he came into the league in 2003. Despite playing him twice a year, the Bengals have allowed just 7.5 of his 82.5 sacks, ninth on the active list…

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Pundits-keep-loving-draft/e60df185-2769-48c0-bb3a-acee5c2d062d

I think absolute best case scenario in suggs case would be along the lines of Demaryius Thomas who last year tore his ACL on February 10th and played a game on October 23rd (8 1/2 months). And it was 10 months before Thomas was playing well, though him being young and Denver's unorthodox offense probably also had something to do with that.

I really can't see Suggs back before Christmas at the earliest unless its really not that bad of a tear.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1336132704' post='1128723']
I think absolute best case scenario in suggs case would be along the lines of Demaryius Thomas who last year tore his ACL on February 10th and played a game on October 23rd (8 1/2 months). And it was 10 months before Thomas was playing well, though him being young and Denver's unorthodox offense probably also had something to do with that.

I really can't see Suggs back before Christmas at the earliest unless its really not that bad of a tear.
[/quote]

Different injuries. Same recovery time?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1336135396' post='1128731']

same injury?

[/quote]

Nope. ACL is in the knee. Which Thomas tore , recovery time keeps getting shorter with modern medicine. About 6-8 months. Achilles injury around the ankle takes a little longer about 8-12 months of recovery time. It seem more serious of the two.

ACL - anterior cruciate ligament - front of knee
PCL - posterior cruciate ligament - back of knee
MCL - medial cruc. lig. - inside of knee
LCL - lateral cruc. lig. - outside of knee

This is without looking it up... trying to see how much I've retained from 5-6 years ago.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1336135815' post='1128738']
You said Thomas had an ACL tear... Suggs tore the achilles.
[/quote]

doh' for some reason I was thinking both were ACL's. I guess I took for granted that they mentioned Thomas' recovery as a comparison on ESPN yesterday. And that came from their injury expert Stephania Bell no less.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1336135802' post='1128737']
Nope. ACL is in the knee. Which Thomas tore , recovery time keeps getting shorter with modern medicine. About 6-8 months. Achilles injury around the ankle takes a little longer about 8-12 months of recovery time. It seem more serious of the two.
[/quote]

I agree. You can play ball with a tore ACL. My brother plays now with it... never had it repaired. I am pretty sure I had the same shit, but I don't have insurance so I probably won't ever find out... least for a while anyway.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1336135970' post='1128740']
doh' for some reason I was thinking both were ACL's. I guess I took for granted that they mentioned Thomas' recovery as a comparison on ESPN yesterday. And that came from their injury expert Stephania Bell no less.
[/quote]
90% sure Thomas' was an Achilles injury as well

Edit: Confirmed by Google, ruptured Achilles

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1336135970' post='1128740']
[/quote]

The best would be to compare it to Hall's I suppose except I think Hall's was a complete tear (was it not?) and Suggs' was a partial.

Archived