The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - GB Packers

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1345781613' post='1150652']
Not much good. Some bad and ugly. Leon Hall trying to cover Jennings was ugly. 3 4th qtr turnovers was ugly. 1 for 10 on 3rd downs was ugly. Pass protection for Dalton was bad. Run blocking was bad. Run defense was bad. No significant injuries is good.
[/quote]

I'm watching right now, and it look like the Bengals where trying to avoided injury's and everything was vanilla,but it doesn't excuse poor execution on plays that need to be made.And can we please get peerman some more playing time.

[quote name='coup000' timestamp='1345776351' post='1150589']
Doesn't matter, teams complete passes against cover 2 all the time. Dalton wasn't even getting throws off, something was very wrong. They were getting some pressure, but a lot of it was late and the ball should have already been out. That was a bad showing by the first team offense all around.
[/quote]

This is the biggest concern. It happened in Atlanta as well. Either Dalton is confused or Wrs aren't getting open.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1345781613' post='1150652']
Not much good. Some bad and ugly. Leon Hall trying to cover Jennings was ugly. 3 4th qtr turnovers was ugly. 1 for 10 on 3rd downs was ugly. Pass protection for Dalton was bad. Run blocking was bad. Run defense was bad. No significant injuries is good.
[/quote]

Leon bounced back in the second quarter had tight coverage on some incompletions. But Damn the Packers were going after him.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1345788399' post='1150666']
[b]The result of the game doesn't matter. Pre Season has very little correlation with regular season performance usually. The Colts used to go 0-4 every year. [/b]
[/quote]

Correct. The year they won the division, St Louis dominated them in preseason.

This wasn't game wasnt as bad as that one and GB is among the elite teams

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1345776813' post='1150597']
Didn't watch. Was the game as ugly as the box score made it look?
[/quote]

re-watched the first 3 defensive drives last night, and obviously the end results were ugly, but the performance was a little deceptive. Outside of the Rodgers scrambles, the defense wasn't horrible. They got consistent pressure with only 4 and only saw one or two blitzes. In a normal game zimmer blitzes rodgers more than that. He also probably switches to a mush rush to keep rodgers in the pocket. One of the drives was also aided by the bogus Mays penalty. Run D looked good for the most part.

Mainly, their vanilla O outplayed our vanilla D. That Rodgers guy is pretty good.

Clay Matthews consistently embarrassed Whitworth coming around the edge. Matthews kept lining up well outside and Whiteworth couldn't catch up with him. Whiteworth also looked a bit too slim to me.

Dalton had no time. I have no issues with him not completing many passes when he has no time to throw. Rodgers couldn't have done anything with the time Dalton had.

After the game, I got to thinking, the DBs played well considering how long they had to cover their men. Seemed Rodgers had at least 5 second every play and even then, he was able to take off and run after sitting back looking for a receiver for 5, 6, 7 seconds at a time. Dline was pathetic against the first string.

We got crushed in the trenches.

The replacement refs are absolutely horrible and I can only pray that the regular refs are back for the regular season. There wer multiple, big time missed calls that would can totally affect the outcome of a big game. I've noticed the poor officiating across the board in other games I've been watching this preseason as well. It's scary.

[quote name='CO Bengal' timestamp='1345808498' post='1150677']
After the game, I got to thinking, the DBs played well considering how long they had to cover their men. Seemed Rodgers had at least 5 second every play and even then, he was able to take off and run after sitting back looking for a receiver for 5, 6, 7 seconds at a time. Dline was pathetic against the first string.

[/quote]

I haven't re-watched the whole game, but I don't agree with this at all. Dline got consistent pressure with just 4 and the starting run D was good on running plays. That's why Rodgers was scrambling for all those runs. It's not like they were designed runs. He was scrambling out of the pocket because he had to.

Difference in the game was Rodgers.

The O-line was absolutely horrible against a shitty defense. These guys need to really step up. The officiating sucked as well on both sides. There were lots of holding calls missed, PI calls missed, the call on Mays was a joke and lead to a TD. Yea I know it's just preaseason but wake up O-line.

Defense started out playing well other than Hall and covering the Rodgers runs, then Hall started playing well and the run defense went to shit. Benson was ripping off like 8 yards per carry. The defensive positive was making Rodgers passing stats look bad but we clearly sacrificed our play against the run to do that, both the traditional and QB runs.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1345804518' post='1150671']
This is the biggest concern. It happened in Atlanta as well. Either Dalton is confused or Wrs aren't getting open.
[/quote]

Yeah, this is what scares me too. I think people are putting too much on the O-line, we had some free rushers, but there were plenty of times Dalton had time and got nothing off or threw it away.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345808827' post='1150678']

I haven't re-watched the whole game, but I don't agree with this at all. Dline got consistent pressure with just 4 and the starting run D was good on running plays. That's why Rodgers was scrambling for all those runs. It's not like they were designed runs. He was scrambling out of the pocket because he had to.

[/quote]

D-line got pressure. Packers were smart and were not going to let Rodgers sit back there and be a target. So they ran alot of counter roll outs and moved the pocket and the Bengals I'm guessing didn't care enough to adjust and were content in letting their guys play base scheme, who knows?

O-line portion - There was a free blitzer which is never good that led to a sack. There were a couple times Dalton had all day and then the pressure comes. Up and down. The bengals got going on the 3rd drive after the Dalton scramble. Bad part is they couldn't punch it in on that drive or the drive following the Int.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1345804610' post='1150672']
Greenbay clearly better team.
[/quote]

What he said... and that is my concern that goes against the grain on this board. The Bengals simply cannot match up with the elite teams in the NFL yet.

IMH and usually Unpopular O:

The Good
*May's hit
*Its only preseason

The Bad
*Too many guys out (ie Maualuga, Dunlap, Who Dre et al) to make a real assessment plus we will hear "they missed most of preseason" when the do...)
*Dalton and Green just not clicking on much of the deep stuff... ie the fade thing where Andy tries to get it over the defender to AJ (the thing Prickins made a career out of here) BUT... that's why there is preseason to work that stuff out so pffttt
*After Green... the receivers seem to be too often hit and miss... not getting open, dropping balls, whatever. Spectacular catch followed by the invisible man stuff.
It may or will come but I wonder how many of those guys will be this year's Cauldwells and Simpsons at the end of the season. Darlings to Dumplings.
*Snafu is slow getting with the program and I expected and wanted more.
*NO SCHEDULE MAGNETS FOR THE SECOND WEEK IN A ROW!

The Ugly
The sequence where the Bengal receiver caught a pass and slid into the end zone untouched... was called down at the one yard line ... don't know if you can throw the red flag in preseason or for that situation but if there was ever a place where one should have been thrown, it was there and it wasn't ... two stuffs at the line or behind followed by a sack and settled for a field goal when it should have been a touchdown three plays before.
That is the kind of shit that kills this team.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1345788399' post='1150666']
[b]The result of the game doesn't matter. Pre Season has very little correlation with regular season performance usually. The Colts used to go 0-4 every year. [/b]
[/quote]
Then they lost Manning and went 2-14 IRL. The Preseason is great for measuring depth. The Colts had no depth.

[quote name='coup000' timestamp='1345810650' post='1150686']

Yeah, this is what scares me too. I think people are putting too much on the O-line, we had some free rushers, but there were plenty of times Dalton had time and got nothing off or threw it away.
[/quote]

It's my biggest concern of the preseason. Teams are not geared up right now. There is some clear indecision on his part. Either guys can't get open, in the wrong spots, or he's confused. Probably a combination of all. Not good.

When your sitting back there patting the football and then taking it down after about 4 seconds it's not a 0-line issue.

Leon was juked on one play and beat on a difficult play, after all he was going against a top WR in Jennings and A.Rodgers the NFL MVP, but after that, IMO Leon played well... The encouraging thing is, the DBs played pretty good to make Rodgers run so much, as a result of good pressure and coverage, and with 3 more CBs coming back, I think it's going to be difficult to run AND pass on this defense.

(null)

[quote name='#22' timestamp='1345811700' post='1150690']

Then they lost Manning and went 2-14 IRL. The Preseason is great for measuring depth. The Colts had no depth.
[/quote]

Colts flushed that season. I'm not saying on purpose but those vets threw in the towel early.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1345811614' post='1150689']

What he said... and that is my concern that goes against the grain on this board. The Bengals simply cannot match up with the elite teams in the NFL yet.

IMH and usually Unpopular O:

The Good
*May's hit
*Its only preseason

The Bad
*Too many guys out (ie Maualuga, Dunlap, Who Dre et al) to make a real assessment plus we will hear "they missed most of preseason" when the do...)
*Dalton and Green just not clicking on much of the deep stuff... ie the fade thing where Andy tries to get it over the defender to AJ (the thing Prickins made a career out of here) BUT... that's why there is preseason to work that stuff out so pffttt
*After Green... the receivers seem to be too often hit and miss... not getting open, dropping balls, whatever. Spectacular catch followed by the invisible man stuff.
It may or will come but I wonder how many of those guys will be this year's Cauldwells and Simpsons at the end of the season. Darlings to Dumplings.
*Snafu is slow getting with the program and I expected and wanted more.
*NO SCHEDULE MAGNETS FOR THE SECOND WEEK IN A ROW!

The Ugly
The sequence where the Bengal receiver caught a pass and slid into the end zone untouched... was called down at the one yard line ... don't know if you can throw the red flag in preseason or for that situation but if there was ever a place where one should have been thrown, it was there and it wasn't ... two stuffs at the line or behind followed by a sack and settled for a field goal when it should have been a touchdown three plays before.
That is the kind of shit that kills this team.
[/quote]

I thought that was worth a challenge. I give the benefit of the doubt and say they wanted some real goal line work.

[quote name='coup000' timestamp='1345810552' post='1150685']
Defense started out playing well other than Hall and covering the Rodgers runs, then Hall started playing well and the run defense went to shit. Benson was ripping off like 8 yards per carry. The defensive positive was making Rodgers passing stats look bad but we clearly sacrificed our play against the run to do that, both the traditional and QB runs.
[/quote]

They had some odd combos on the field. Miles played some 3rd CB. I think at least once I saw Nelson, Mays, Miles, Clements on the field against Rodgers.

Benson is going to do well in Green Bay.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1345811941' post='1150695']
I thought that was worth a challenge. I give the benefit of the doubt and say they wanted some real goal line work.
[/quote]

that might be it. Might also be why you're passing on first and goal from the one and going 4 wide from the 3. Both very un-Marvin like play calls.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1345812112' post='1150697']
They had some odd combos on the field. Miles played some 3rd CB. I think at least once I saw Nelson, Mays, Miles, Clements on the field against Rodgers.

Benson is going to do well in Green Bay.
[/quote]

yea on drive 4 or 5 against rodgers they went with a 3 safety package, probably wanting to see how guys looked in coverage. Can't imagine putting 3 safeties out against rodgers in a real game.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345808827' post='1150678']

[/quote]

Yeah people dont make me agree with 1181.

:lol:

Archived