The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - GB Packers

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345811805' post='1150694']
Sanu?
[/quote]

yeah, just playin' with the name...
I had high hopes for him coming into the season and he does not seem to be setting the world on fire for whatever reason.
Kind of disappointed but not down on him or giving up on him at all.

Its preseason and the time to work out the kinks.
And I do think those MIA due to injuries will have a big impact when they come around.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345808827' post='1150678']
I haven't re-watched the whole game, but I don't agree with this at all. Dline got consistent pressure with just 4 and the starting run D was good on running plays. That's why Rodgers was scrambling for all those runs. It's not like they were designed runs. He was scrambling out of the pocket because he had to.

Difference in the game was Rodgers.
[/quote]

I completely disagree with your thought process here. What good is pressure unless that pressure leads to forcing hurried and/or poor passes? When they lose contain every time and Rodgers leaves the pocket freely time after time, it's a fail. DBs can only defend their man for so long.

Watch the second quarter and you will see that Hall played an exceptional second quarter. There were a couple plays where he got into great position and was in better position to make a play than the receiver (jennings) and the balls weren't underthrown. He got into the route.

My 310lb brother runs to first in softball and makes the other team throw to first but he never gets there. End result, fail.

[quote name='CO Bengal' timestamp='1345815960' post='1150728']
I completely disagree with your thought process here. What good is pressure unless that pressure leads to forcing hurried and/or poor passes? When they lose contain every time and Rodgers leaves the pocket freely time after time, it's a fail. DBs can only defend their man for so long.

[/quote]

gotta keep perspective. Zimmer wasn't doing much to adjust the scheme. He wasn't even blitzing. He was just letting guys go. He wasn't playing it like a real game.

The front 4 consistently made the QB scramble out of the pocket. That's good pressure. In a real game, you probably see the LB's blitz the gap, or DE's instructed to have contain.

Zimmer played it vanilla, and the front 4 got pressure in the vanilla scheme.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345816431' post='1150730']
gotta keep perspective. Zimmer wasn't doing much to adjust the scheme. He wasn't even blitzing. He was just letting guys go. He wasn't playing it like a real game.

The front 4 consistently made the QB scramble out of the pocket. That's good pressure. In a real game, you probably see the LB's blitz the gap, or DE's instructed to have contain.

Zimmer played it vanilla, and the front 4 got pressure in the vanilla scheme.
[/quote]

I doubt he just let his ends go after the back every time. They have to have contain. It's not fair to the rest of your defense to just let them go and "not contain". I really doubt that was the issue with the ends. It just doesn't make much sense to me in terms of making your team better and finding out where you need to improve.

But I do agree with the front four... we have a decent bull rush all along the the defensive line.

I hope you're right. I didn't get to see either of the first two preseason games and this was the first that I've seen of them this year. If they were holding back (I hope so), then no worries. If that was the defense we'll be seeing come regular season, Baltimore will eat us alive.

With that being said, I'm pumped to see what we put out there on Monday Night to open the season and will have goosebumps at kickoff againt this year. I've got high hopes. We need to keep progressing with this young squad. If we can show progression two years in a row and not the typical two steps forward, two steps back, this town will be buzzing all winter.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345812344' post='1150700']
yea on drive 4 or 5 against rodgers they went with a 3 safety package, probably wanting to see how guys looked in coverage. Can't imagine putting 3 safeties out against rodgers in a real game.
[/quote]

Or the fact that Allen, Pacman, and Kirkpatrick weren't playing. Miles may have been out next best defensive back.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1345815944' post='1150727']
I had high hopes for him coming into the season and he does not seem to be setting the world on fire for whatever reason.

And I do think those MIA due to injuries will have a big impact when they come around.
[/quote]

I had concerns about Sanu when we took him, and was happy, and had higher hopes for Marvin Jones.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1345816881' post='1150731']
I doubt he just let his ends go after the back every time. They have to have contain. It's not fair to the rest of your defense to just let them go and "not contain". I really doubt that was the issue with the ends. It just doesn't make much sense to me in terms of making your team better and finding out where you need to improve.

But I do agree with the front four... we have a decent bull rush all along the the defensive line.
[/quote]

well if the ends WERE asked to have contain, they weren't making any effort IMO.

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1345777251' post='1150605']
look the Bengals need work it was just matter of time before they started to lose a game, as far as concerned,they should rest the starter's and get ready for the Baltimore ravens.But I find it entrusting that the media wants to start covering the Bengals we they lose.
[/quote]

i need another cup of coffee.

The big thing to remember is it was just a preseason game last night. This team looked horriable in preseason last year and everyone was jumping ship but they went on to win 9 games. They did not look great last night but there is no need to overreact and think this team is not good any more.

I'm not worried yet.

I got the sense that the team was "trying a lot of things" last night. They seemed to want to force the ball to AJ along the sideline on 1st down and let Andy take some shots deep if he saw an opportunity early instead of trying to build momentum and sustain drives. Of course the end result is we could barely complete a pass, but there were no quick slants or hitches, screens or other high percentage plays called on the early downs which leads me to believe they were trying things.

Rogers running a muck was aggrivating but he didn't have a pocket on nearly every passing play...In this league that is good defense 9/10 times, the exceptions being guys like Rogers or maybe Newton.

I think Green Bay got away with more holding in the run game than they will once the regular refs are back. That said, our defense has looked vulnerable the last couple weeks against opponent's 1s. Matt Ryan was 18/21 with a couple drops. Green Bay ran all over us. We used to have two above average CBs but one left and the other got hurt. Now we just have a group of average guys at CB. Our D-line should be ok vs most run games but our secondary is vulnerable if the line doesn't get pressure. We didn't get much in Atlanta and couldn't contain Rodgers.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1345822895' post='1150762']
I'm not worried yet.

I got the sense that the team was "trying a lot of things" last night. They seemed to want to force the ball to AJ along the sideline on 1st down and let Andy take some shots deep if he saw an opportunity early instead of trying to build momentum and sustain drives. Of course the end result is we could barely complete a pass, but there were no quick slants or hitches, screens or other high percentage plays called on the early downs which leads me to believe they were trying things.

Rogers running a muck was aggrivating but he didn't have a pocket on nearly every passing play...In this league that is good defense 9/10 times, the exceptions being guys like Rogers or maybe Newton.
[/quote]

two things that stood out to me on offense:

1) Taking more shots downfield than normal

2) Not trying to run the ball inside the 5yd line.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345824054' post='1150772']
two things that stood out to me on offense:

1) Taking more shots downfield than normal

[b]2) Not trying to run the ball inside the 5yd line.[/b]
[/quote]

to that point:

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]“What we’re doing is different from what we would do in the regular season, but we still ought to be able to score a touchdown from the one yard line,” said Coach Lewis.[/font][/color][/quote]

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1345812112' post='1150697']
They had some odd combos on the field. Miles played some 3rd CB. I think at least once I saw Nelson, Mays, Miles, Clements on the field against Rodgers.

Benson is going to do well in Green Bay.
[/quote]

Especially because he can hate on the Bears twice a year.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1345815944' post='1150727']

[/quote]

I don't think they are featuring him much, but he has made some plays. Sanu isn't on the bubble, or presumably a starter. They need to see if Binns/Tate can start, they need to see if Marvin Jones is worth a roster spot or gets PS. Sanu, well, they see that he is in the middle - Rookie coming along well, not going to start.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1345824300' post='1150773']
[b]I think we need to find ways to get Mays, Nelson, Miles, and Kirkpatrick on the field at the same time. [/b]

[b]I think that will be the strongest combo eventually. [/b]
[/quote]

3 safeties and a rookie corner? Really?

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1345828644' post='1150798']
I don't think they are featuring him much, but he has made some plays. Sanu isn't on the bubble, or presumably a starter. They need to see if Binns/Tate can start, they need to see if Marvin Jones is worth a roster spot or gets PS. Sanu, well, they see that he is in the middle - Rookie coming along well, not going to start.
[/quote]

yea the #2 WR battle between Tate and Binns kinds of precludes them from giving Sanu or Jones much work with the #1's.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1345821899' post='1150754']
The big thing to remember is it was just a preseason game last night. This team looked horriable in preseason last year and everyone was jumping ship but they went on to win 9 games. They did not look great last night but there is no need to overreact and think this team is not good any more.
[/quote]

[size=6][b]What!?!!!![/b][/size] This is Go-Bengals.com....people live to bitch about shit on here! It was an f'in preseason game where they game planned maybe 20%. They lost. So fuckin what. It isnt indicative of what is going to happen during the regular season. If it was then they may as well just tell BJGE, Scott, Kirkpatrick, Maualuga, Dunlap, and Gresham not to come back. Good Grief!

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1345828644' post='1150798']
I don't think they are featuring him much, but he has made some plays. Sanu isn't on the bubble, or presumably a starter. They need to see if Binns/Tate can start, [b]they need to see if Marvin Jones is worth a roster spot or gets PS[/b]. Sanu, well, they see that he is in the middle - Rookie coming along well, not going to start.
[/quote]

There's NO chance, imo, that Jones goes to the PS after the preseason he's had. We need him number 1 and number 2, someone else would take him and say thanks a lot!

Archived