Accountability and moves during the bye week

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351018594' post='1174047']
Getting back to the changes part of the thread, could these 6 players spur a turnaround in the last 9 games, or is the season already beyond repair?
All the above ! Any of the listed player have enough ability to help this team. At 3-4 , considering the state of the AFC North, no way is this season beyond repair. Though I favor ML as a front office presence, I dont know if he's the on field leader needed to save this season.

Marvin Jones
Orson Charles
Dre Kirkpatrick
Pat Sims
Jon Fanene
Jason Allen

What about Kyle Cook for potentially 5-6 games?
[/quote]

Getting back to the changes part of the thread, could these 6 players spur a turnaround in the last 9 games, or is the season already beyond repair?

Marvin Jones
Orson Charles
Dre Kirkpatrick
Pat Sims
Jon Fanene
Jason Allen

[/quote]

All of the above.

And I, for one, do not believe the season is beyond repair. There are 7 teams at this juncture between 3-4 and 4-3. Two spots to secure (not to mention still being somewhat in the division title mix). Get the shit straight, and we can be in the mix for the post-season. Things can change in a hurry--if past NFL seasons hasn't already shown that.

Marvin Jones
Orson Charles
Dre Kirkpatrick
Pat Sims
Jon Fanene
Jason Allen

[/quote]

based on a lot of the comments over the last few days by coaches, Mohamed Sanu should probably be added to the list as well.

Sounds like Binns may be headed for the bench, with Sanu and Jones given more opportunities, and Hawkins used sparingly so that he doesn't wear down.

I'm ready to do anything and everything to give the young guy a chance. Realistically, we just aren't going to win the Super Bowl this year, but with a few key improvements think we could be real contenders next year. As such, I'd love to see us give our younger players as much time as possible, so we can really develop them - and have a clearer idea of what we have going into the next draft/FA period.

It's clear we need help at WR,LB, C, RB and the secondary. We should be able to get 2-3 starters with our first few picks - but it'd be nice to take a position off the list.

Of course, we can't draft a new coach though...

Marvin Jones
Orson Charles
Dre Kirkpatrick
Pat Sims
[s]Jon Fanene[/s]
Jason Allen

[/quote]

Forget Fanene.

Sanu is big strong and athletic and does not seem intimidated in any way whatsoever. He should be used more as wildcat QB.

Hawkins should have plays where he lines up in isolation and is thrown the ball soon after snap. I think he can beat one man for a few yards. Additionally, he should only get the ball on short routes and get more yac. DO NOT look for him down the field unless he's wide open.

AJ Green should be thrown 5 bombs every game, NO MATTER WHAT. Good things happen when this happens.

Gresham and Charles should be in at same time during run and pass. BTW, throw the ball to the middle of the field to Charles and down the sidelines to Gresham.

In the draft, as of right now, we need LB, S, RB as greatest needs. I think WR is not as big a need because I think they are not using their weapons as they should and Marvin Jones will show more than they have seen.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351096639' post='1174260']
at some point this season I want to see Sanu lined up win the wildcat with Hawkins next to him at RB.
[/quote]

You know, if the freaking Redskins can put four guys in the backfield on plays on offense and find success, we can too. How hard can it be to mix up that backfield and have a handful of plays that slightly change every week that gives the defense something to think about? Two back sets with Leonard and BGE. Put Hawkins back there. Insert Charles/Gresham in the mix. Let them lead block sometimes, let them trail off into the flat other times, motion them out of the backfield other times as well. We just aren't doing a good job mixing it up with what we have.

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1351118519' post='1174346']
Forget Fanene.

Sanu is big strong and athletic and does not seem intimidated in any way whatsoever. He should be used more as wildcat QB.

Hawkins should have plays where he lines up in isolation and is thrown the ball soon after snap. I think he can beat one man for a few yards. Additionally, he should only get the ball on short routes and get more yac. DO NOT look for him down the field unless he's wide open.

AJ Green should be thrown 5 bombs every game, NO MATTER WHAT. Good things happen when this happens.

Gresham and Charles should be in at same time during run and pass. BTW, throw the ball to the middle of the field to Charles and down the sidelines to Gresham.

In the draft, as of right now, we need LB, S, RB as greatest needs. I think WR is not as big a need because I think they are not using their weapons as they should and Marvin Jones will show more than they have seen.
[/quote]

I can't really disagree with anything here, although we can't run two TE sets ALL the time. We need to have the flexibility to put four wides out there in certain situations. I personally in addition to what I posted above want to see more 3 wide sets with one or two RB's, or 3 wide sets that include a TE. Just anything that can surprise a defense, catch them off guard. And as 1181 has alluded to continually, we REALLY need to run more screens to our RB's and to Hawkins, especially when opposing defenses start selling out the blitz. Even draw plays for Christ's sake.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1351121353' post='1174359']
You know, if the freaking Redskins can put four guys in the backfield on plays on offense and find success, we can too. How hard can it be to mix up that backfield and have a handful of plays that slightly change every week that gives the defense something to think about? Two back sets with Leonard and BGE. Put Hawkins back there. Insert Charles/Gresham in the mix. Let them lead block sometimes, let them trail off into the flat other times, motion them out of the backfield other times as well. We just aren't doing a good job mixing it up with what we have.

I can't really disagree with anything here, although we can't run two TE sets ALL the time. We need to have the flexibility to put four wides out there in certain situations. I personally in addition to what I posted above want to see more 3 wide sets with one or two RB's, or 3 wide sets that include a TE. Just anything that can surprise a defense, catch them off guard. And as 1181 has alluded to continually, we REALLY need to run more screens to our RB's and to Hawkins, especially when opposing defenses start selling out the blitz. Even draw plays for Christ's sake.
[/quote]

I was surprised as hell when the Bengals broke out a reverse wishbone formation one game. Maybe they should bring in Sanu and let him to be the quarterback in an option play. Just to try and mix things up in a way that puts personnel in a situation that the defense has not seen before. That's why the play against the Redskins worked so well. They had no defensive play for it.

I just want us to insert some plays that play to our strengths on offense, and a few plays that mix things up just to keep the defenses guessing. Someone upthread stated that we seem to hold to a script and don't deviate from it much...I tend to agree, and I think that was the biggest issue I ever had with Bratkowski's offenses. In those days we generally had a really good initial offensive sequence where the plays were scripted and we would more often than not score. But then, as now, our offense is absolutely putrid after the half. Everything bad is coming in "3's"....3rd quarters and 3rd downs. We can't score in the third quarters of games (and in this season we generally have a lead or are tied in the third quarters of games) and our third down offense is awful, and our third down defense is too.

Practice and play like every down is 3rd down or something. We have to make changes now or we are going to finish something like 5-11, which not only sucks as a record but doesn't give us a great draft pick either.

I can't remember who it was, but there used to be a head coach that scripted the first 20 plays of the game, regardless of position on the field or what down it was. It worked ok for awhile, but I think teams started to read into the formations and plays. His offense began to be predictable. There are definitely assets on team that are not being utilized to their full potential.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351123350' post='1174371']
I can't remember who it was, but there [u]used to be a head coach that scripted the first 20 plays of the game,[/u] regardless of position on the field or what down it was. It worked ok for awhile, but I think teams started to read into the formations and plays. His offense began to be predictable. There are definitely assets on team that are not being utilized to their full potential.
[/quote]

[size=4]Marty Schottenheimer?[/size]

[quote name='SmoothD' timestamp='1351125466' post='1174383']
Marty Schottenheimer?
[/quote]

I think "Martyball" was named in his honor due to his conservative nature later in games that caused him to lose. We can call our offense "Marvin-ball" to make it more relevant. I am tired of "playing not to lose" when we have a lead. I want to keep kicking the corpse of the other team until we are certain it's dead.

I can't remember who it was, but there used to be a head coach that scripted the first 20 plays of the game, regardless of position on the field or what down it was. It worked ok for awhile, but I think teams started to read into the formations and plays. His offense began to be predictable. There are definitely assets on team that are not being utilized to their full potential.
[/quote]

Bill Walsh was famous for it. A lot of coaches will script in various formations and motions early in the game to see how the defense reacts.

[/quote]

Generally speaking, every coach has the first 15-20 plays scripted on offense.

I know Gruden mentioned they had 15 scripted for Sunday night.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351128054' post='1174406']
Generally speaking, every coach has the first 15-20 plays scripted on offense.

I know Gruden mentioned they had 15 scripted for Sunday night.
[/quote]

This was way before now. I know the Bengals script some plays because of the Sanu TD pass to Green. Gruden asked Marvin if he could call the play during the game, and Marvin was quoted as telling him not to wait, call it on the first play of the game.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1351752386' post='1176131']
The Redskins secondary is god awful. They are down to Kerrigan as their only legit pass rusher. Everyone and their brother knows to pass vs Washington.
[/quote]

true, but the thought was teams would be able to pass all over the steelers D too. Just found it interesting that there were a lot more 7-15yd routes in that game compared to the steelers game where you saw a lot of 5-7yd routes.

Archived