Accountability and moves during the bye week

[quote name='Sea Ray' timestamp='1350932734' post='1173764']
[indent=1]I'd like to see Marvin fired and replaced with Hue Jackson but I doubt that'll happen. It would at least show our fans that management isn't going to put up with the shit we saw last night...that such a performance is unacceptable[/indent]
[/quote]

YES

[quote name='Sea Ray' timestamp='1350932734' post='1173764']
[indent=1]I'd like to see Marvin fired and replaced with Hue Jackson but I doubt that'll happen. It would at least show our fans that management isn't going to put up with the shit we saw last night...that such a performance is unacceptable[/indent]
[/quote]

they shouldn't make a change just to make fans happy. They should only make a change if its what's best for the team.

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1350921282' post='1173686']

what are you watching?

what offense have you ever seen where 90% of the passes are under 10 yards?

and they even showed its quick passes, holding the ball 1.5 seconds, etc, they literally showed you all of these things, i will literally take screen shots of the game if you need me to, he isnt going through progressions and then throwing a 5 yard pass, he is simply only throwing a 5 yard pass. You have been on a sideline of a football game countless times, you have seen with your own eyes, in person, how crowded the first 10 yards off the LOS are, the passing lane is shorter, since you arent lofting the ball well over defenders hands and heads, there are 7-8 guys standing there already, so not only do you have the coverage guys, but other linebackers are in the lanes as well.

if you want guys open, you need to run deeper routes, guys arent even getting into routes before passes are thrown.

No one is waiting for guys to get open and THEN throwing a short pass, its a short pass by design. all of the games are available in 30 minute action packe bundles... waste and hour and a half of your day and watch the last three games.

If there is anything people should know about me after the last 8 years, is that im not shy about blasting receivers, we have one great one and a bunch of average ones, we should be much better on offense, but we arent, and my above is just my opinion on what i have watched the last 24 weeks.

Look at the end of the cleveland game just watch the 4th qtr. its sad, dump off passes are thrown befor guys are even getting into their routes, we spread 4 wide and hope the middle opened up for peerman...

JMO
[/quote]

Sounds like the issue is the play calling and o line then. If he feels the need to get rid of it that quickly, then it sounds like the pocket is constantly collapsing. I'm aware of his issue with getting rid off the ball too quickly sometimes. But that's just sometimes.

And I AM watching. AJ is constantly doubled or tripled, and nobody else can find the soft spot or get separation. And if they do, half the time they drop that shit. Not to mention zero run game to support. Andy needs help. He's not the problem.

Wish we kept onto Jerome..

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350932390' post='1173760']
yea, outside of the INT's every one of his stat lines are taking signficant bumps, and he's doing it without a running game and a suitable #2. He's also putting up better numbers in his sophomore year than the likes of Flacco and Ryan did early in their careers, and they both had good running games supporting them.
[/quote]

Both Flacco and Ryan went 9-7 their sophomore years. I am not an Andy Dalton hater but he doesn't even look the least bit comfortable out there and his passes remind me very much of Jon Kitna's with the receivers having to make adjustments to catch even simple throws or in the case of AJ, having to make spectacular adjustments to make them.

Flacco is a decent QB who has never been asked to carry the team. Now that the Ravens are hurting, lets see if he is an upper tier QB. My guess is no based on his play verses Houston.

Ryan is a different animal. He has shown flashes of brilliance and is able to take over games sometimes but not enough to put him in the upper echelon of QBs quite yet. His sophomore year, the Falcons had the 14th rated passing offense which is pretty good.

I don't see flashes of greatness with Andy. He has had some big games but most of them include a few deep bombs to AJ or the receiver making a play. Was there anytime in the 2nd half of the last 3 games that you thought he was going to go out there and pick the other team's defense apart? Do you really think Pittsburgh was worried when we got the ball on our 11 yard line with 5:47 to go in the 4th down by 7? How often does he extend drives by doing something spectacular (like big fucking Jen)? He looked good in the Washington game at times but its been awhile since I have seen Andy play well and have really never seen him do it against a good team. Yeah, he is still young but I just don't see it yet.

Too many throws and decisions leave me scratching my head at this point, but he is still young so I have some hope. Third quarter play has been simply HORRID. He isn't our biggest problem at this point.

One thing I would like to see changed is take away Rey's responsibility of getting the play called in the huddle and allow him just to clear his mind and play football. Dont give him anything he has to think about or any responsibility. Tell him to just go play football and see if that helps.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1350935744' post='1173783']
Both Flacco and Ryan went 9-7 their sophomore years. I am not an Andy Dalton hater but he doesn't even look the least bit comfortable out there and his passes remind me very much of Jon Kitna's with the receivers having to make adjustments to catch even simple throws or in the case of AJ, having to make spectacular adjustments to make them.

Flacco is a decent QB who has never been asked to carry the team. Now that the Ravens are hurting, lets see if he is an upper tier QB. My guess is no based on his play verses Houston.

Ryan is a different animal. He has shown flashes of brilliance and is able to take over games sometimes but not enough to put him in the upper echelon of QBs quite yet. His sophomore year, the Falcons had the 14th rated passing offense which is pretty good.

I don't see flashes of greatness with Andy. He has had some big games but most of them include a few deep bombs to AJ or the receiver making a play. [b] Was there anytime in the 2nd half of the last 3 games that you thought he was going to go out there and pick the other team's defense apart?[/b] Do you really think Pittsburgh was worried when we got the ball on our 11 yard line with 5:47 to go in the 4th down by 7? How often does he extend drives by doing something spectacular (like big fucking Jen)? He looked good in the Washington game at times but its been awhile since I have seen Andy play well and have really never seen him do it against a good team. Yeah, he is still young but I just don't see it yet.

Too many throws and decisions leave me scratching my head at this point, but he is still young so I have some hope. Third quarter play has been simply HORRID. He isn't our biggest problem at this point.
[/quote]

certainly that last drive against Miami I had every confidence that they were going to drive it down and win.

I'd also say he was brilliant in Washington.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1350935944' post='1173785']
One thing I would like to see changed is take away Rey's responsibility of getting the play called in the huddle and allow him just to clear his mind and play football. Dont give him anything he has to think about or any responsibility. Tell him to just go play football and see if that helps.
[/quote]

wouldn't be surprised at all to see him moved back to SLB next year. There's plenty to dislike about his Run D, but Maualuga is probably the best coverage LB on the team right now. Not awesome, but probably the best nonetheless. How much that is actually saying, probably not a great deal.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1350935944' post='1173785']
[/quote]

This is stupid. If you can't think and be a football player then what the hell do you got? You can't just go play football. You have to think one way or another the whole time. Problem with Rey is he has no instincts to make up for his lack of thought. Why you would want a linebacker playing for you that can't understand the game in and of itself is beyond me.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1350938087' post='1173793']
With all the talk about Dalton throwing to many short passes, he is 9th in the league in yards per attempt at 7.5. He is ahead Brady, Romo, Rivers, Ryan, Palmer, Flacco, Stafford and Schaub. Rodgers is only at 7.6 and Brees is at 7.7.
[/quote]

yea I don't think its an issue of throwing too short, I think its an issue of throwing too quick as far as the coaches are concerned. I posted the stats the other day, but Dalton throws short less than pretty much all of the elite QB's in the league. NBC showed a stat early last night that says roughly 68% of Ben's throws are within 10yds of the line of scrimmage. That's 15% higher than what Dalton's percentage was coming into the game. If you watched the Patriots/Jets game, they went on and on about how many screens they run.

IMO the Bengals offense needs more screens and checkdowns, especially when they are struggling to get small chunks in the running game. Use the short passing game to help out the running game.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350936162' post='1173787']
wouldn't be surprised at all to see him moved back to SLB next year. There's plenty to dislike about his Run D, but Maualuga is probably the best coverage LB on the team right now. Not awesome, but probably the best nonetheless. How much that is actually saying, probably not a great deal.
[/quote]

This is quite possibly your worst post ever. What would make you feel this way? I'm stunned at how bad Rey is in run D and pass D. It is equally embarrassing.

[/quote]

What in the wide wide world of sports are you thinking? I've seen Rey get beat in front of him because he plays too deep in the zone. I've seen him get beat up the seam by TEs. And finally I've seen him get beat by running backs repeatedly. Probably the absolute worst thing about Rey, his coverage in the Red Zone.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1350938935' post='1173799']
I was saying this in reference to the fact that you are usually a spot on post.
Your latest has got me wondering.
[/quote]

first, let me say last night wasn't one of his better pass coverage outings. MIller got loose on him for a big gain and Antonio Brown also split he and Burfict for a big third down gain.

Second, and I mentioned it this morning, but the entire front 7 sucks at getting their hands up to obstruct passing lanes. Both Maualuga and Burfict could have easily tipped the pass mentioned above if their hands are up. They couldn't have been more than five feet apart and the ball went right between them.

Rey's been pretty good in coverage when healthy and not playing at a thumper weight. Miami, Cleveland and Jacksonvolle were all solid pass coverage games. San Francisco and Buffalo also are on the top of my head from 2011.

I definitely think he's better at pass D than run D at this point in his career, for what that's worth.

I don't think anyone is going to mistake Rey for a great, or even good all around LB right now, but people are going to have to live with the fact that he's the second best LB on the team right now, and likely the best coverage LB on the team. Burfict may end up being better in coverage in time, but I wouldn't say he is right now.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1350938349' post='1173794']
This is stupid. If you can't think and be a football player then what the hell do you got? You can't just go play football. You have to think one way or another the whole time. Problem with Rey is he has no instincts to make up for his lack of thought. Why you would want a linebacker playing for you that can't understand the game in and of itself is beyond me.

[/quote]

The job of a MLB is get the play from the coaches, make the call in the huddle and then get everyone lined up. That is a lot of responsibility and a lot extra for Rey to worry about. If you take all that from Rey, now all he has to worry about is to read the offense and then make the play. Rey is struggling right now and he needs to focus on just making plays rather then everything else. The Bengals did not lot Thruman make the plays calls and just let him play football which was why he was so great his first year.

The only problem there is no one that can take over the job.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350939224' post='1173801']
What in the wide wide world of sports are you thinking? [b] I've seen Rey get beat in front of him because he plays too deep in the zone. I've seen him get beat up the seam by TEs. And finally I've seen him get beat by running backs repeatedly. [/b]Probably the absolute worst thing about Rey, his coverage in the Red Zone.
[/quote]

First 3 games I'd say that's absolutely true. It's not true for the Jacksonville, MIami and Cleveland2 games.

Also, the playing too deep thing is something all the backers are doing, which makes it a scheme issue. It's not just Rey. Likely because Zimmer's afraid to get burnt deep, so the safeties are playing deep, which means the backers have to play deeper than usual. In other words, Zimmer is choosing a slow death over a quick one.

[/quote]

Look I know I had a long night with Whisky, but I'm starting to sober up. It sounds like you might haven't stopped drinking yet. There is nothing that Rey does that's any good. He's equalling horrible at everything he does.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350939459' post='1173806']
First 3 games I'd say that's absolutely true. It's not true for the Jacksonville, MIami and Cleveland2 games.

Also, the playing too deep thing is something all the backers are doing, which makes it a scheme issue. It's not just Rey. Likely because Zimmer's afraid to get burnt deep, so the safeties are playing deep, which means the backers have to play deeper than usual. In other words, Zimmer is choosing a slow death over a quick one.
[/quote]

I've not really noticed anyone else playing as deep as he does. Also, if is a scheme deal, most times will drop a DT stop any of the underneath space in the zone. Now I don't see Peko pushing his guy back as part of an active pass rush, so I'm exactly sure what that means. I thought he was doing it at first to keep the pocket from collapsing and giving Roethlesberger a path to run, but maybe there was something else to it. I also very rarely seen Peko getting his hands up to block a pass. It was just an awkward game all around.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1350942432' post='1173824']
Look I know I had a long night with Whisky, but I'm starting to sober up. It sounds like you might haven't stopped drinking yet. There is nothing that Rey does that's any good. He's equalling horrible at everything he does.
[/quote]

This. Best coverage backer? You are high as fuck, 1181, or just trolling super hard.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1350942432' post='1173824']
[/quote]

I know its a hard concept to grasp that players don't screw up on every play, but you're the last person to have any kind of objectivity on Maualuga at this point, consistently bringing him up in threads that aren't even about the defense.

After to losing to Miami, the teams confidence has been shaken. The last 3 games look nothing like the team who played in the first 4 IMO. To me, the only guy out on the field last night who showed any passion was Burfict. A UDFA! What does that say? Some of the posts on here about Dalton seem to be more agenda driven than objective. No QB is ever 100% accurate all of the time. I can remember when every excuse in the world was made for the golden boy (he was passing in 50mph wind, no protection from his oline, he's from California and it's cold in Ohio, someone dumped trash on his lawn, he was booed, WO's are running the wrong route etc. etc. etc.) It didn't matter that he was a seasoned vet at the time those excuses were made.

AD has played poorly and seems a little inpatient at times there's no doubt. Gresham has been a major dissapointment now in his 3rd year (it's probably not all on him) Too many drops. The coaching has gone from coaching to win, to now coaching not to lose. A top 10 defense to now close to the bottom of the shit pile. It is completely frustrating. As far as Rey M., I laugh everytime I see him fly up the middle, because someone takes him out every fucking time. You'd think by now he would at least attempt to hurdle the guy. No way does he get an extension. And only to the Cincinnati Bengals would the ball slip out of the QB's hands on a pump fake, hit his olineman in the helmet, and bounce right to the defensive players hands!

It's sad. 22 years without a playoff win. I wonder how many potential fans could've been had in that time frame? Sometimes it feels like I'm watching a dying franchise.

Archived