Gun law debate

The_Joker

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1356116179' post='1196153']
Count me in for gun control. IF gun control can be properly enforced. Any new law created without teeth is as worthless as the paper upon which the document is wrote. Mentally unstable individuals should not be able to purchase or have guns available in the house they reside. While working law enforcement, everyone I worked with was required on an annual basis to undergo evaluation. Yet the common person who carries nobody seems to mind or even check if they have issues. Take that into account when considering how many of these mass shootings involved people who have psychiatric issues and have purchased or had guns available in their domicile.

If a person is against gun control I only ask that they consider proper enforcement, one additional background check, and not the total removal of arms from every home.
[/quote]

Just an expansion of the above post. The full scope of the law can be viewed at the link below. Only a few things missing from this law IMHO that could actually make it work better. One of them might be redefining "mentally defective."

[url="http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/18C44.txt"]http://uscode.house....d/pls/18C44.txt[/url]

[quote]
(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or
having reasonable cause to believe that such person -

(1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
(2) is a fugitive from justice;
(3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
(4) [b]has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;[/b]
(5) who, being an alien -
(A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
(.B ) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)));
(6) who (!2) has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;[/quote]

[quote] "(3) Application to persons who have been adjudicated as a [b]mental defective[/b] or committed to a mental institution. - The State shall make available to the Attorney General, for use by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, the name and other relevant identifying information of persons adjudicated as a mental defective or those committed to mental institutions to assist the Attorney General in enforcing section 922(g)(4) of title 18, United States Code.[/quote]

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1356278003' post='1196521']
Because their black?
[/quote]

NO...because they are criminal. Profiling the ones doing the mass shootings are predominately crazy white males.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1356208239' post='1196364']
Come on Joker, truth can not be spoken back here. You must follow the strict leftist politically correct guidelines or be burned at the stake.
[/quote]

The funny thing is I never mentioned a color. Hell I know plenty of white trash that behave that way and a few latinos too. They just have a chip on their shoulder and must have been raised to always be the "victim". Again, its easier to blame me instead of saying "Hum, why can't I find a decent job? Oh, it's because I mumble in street slang while holding my balls in the interview. The has to be someone else's fault!!"

I tend to lean a little left on most issues. With the exception of criminal justice and social support programs. Actually, I voted for Obama both times. Of course I went republican all down the other side of the ballot just so something might get done this time around... :32:

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1356278003' post='1196521']
Because their black?
[/quote]

I never said that. No, because poverty breeds violent crime, no matter the color. That was kinda the point.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1356374153' post='1198708']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0q2eGAjyGg[/media]
[/quote]

That's really good!

:lol:

I just read that link and it's outrageous that the newspaper did that. WTF? If owning a gun isn't illegal, which it isn't currently, what gives this paper the right to publish a map giving the locations and addresses of legal gun owners? Talk about a violation of privacy. Part of the beauty of gun ownership vis a vis prevention of crimes like home invasions is that criminals do NOT know that the home they are illegally entering is possibly going to be protected by a gun owner, which is his or her right to do so. Next will be a map of cigarette smokers to fire up the torch and pitchfork crowd, and then we will fire the health inspectors and prevent e coli in our food by saying grace over it.

Just read the article and followed a few links therein for more detail. While this info is available via the FOIA, I don't see where publishing it helps to nurture a problem-solving attitude towards these crazy crimes. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if they displayed a map showing the density of handgun ownership without the personal details. Yet, the addition of those personal details, while legal, strikes me as an undue intrusion into privacy. Hell, I'm opposed to the public vilification of sex offenders via this sort of database and this strikes me as being of similar taint.

I agree with marginalizing the nutcases in the world; but owning a gun doesn't make one a nutcase.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1356544848' post='1199330']
It will probably make other media outlets think twice before doing the same thing.
[/quote]

I doubt it. Many editors have hobby horses and this seems like one for the decison makers at that paper. They published similar material back in 2006-7 period. If the "outing" was limited to just the decision-makers--that's fair game. But if you scroll down the list and see all the other folks on that list it just seems like a crossing into "two wrongs don't make a right" territory.

[quote name='The_Joker' timestamp='1356151463' post='1196289']
I would agree here, again as a partial fix to the multi faceted issue. I am not or ever had been a member of the NRA. However, I tend to agree with some of what was said today. Protect our children was the message and they are being roasted by the media. As much as I agree with a tighter law on gun ownership, there are still millions of guns in circulation that no one can do anything about. We have to protect and defend the children. We have air marshalls on many flights doing the same thing.
And for those on this topic that think my comments are racist go fuck yourself. You don't know anything about me. However I will say, I don't care what color anyone is. Just speak like a normal human and pull your weight in society. I despise supporting your lifestyle regardless your skin color. If that offends you, I don't care. If your offended then you're probably part of the problem in this country, so keep making babies I will feed them for you.
[/quote]

You know whats funny.....I remember your posts from awhile back in politics and in the football forum as well and found myself agreeing with you very often but I still feel your post I called out was extremely prejudiced and the way you made these people out to be, would be more compatible with the black people stereotype, not even close to white trash or Latinos as you stated. I'm the one who called your post out and I don't have any children, much less ones you pay for, work at least 40 hrs / wk, pay taxes.....what exactly are you doing in my place? Obviously I'm one of these invalids since I was offended by your post right?

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1356208239' post='1196364']
Come on Joker, truth can not be spoken back here. You must follow the strict leftist politically correct guidelines or be burned at the stake.
[/quote]

Truth can be spoken, just don't wrap it in racism or it won't appeal to the non racists on here.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356235796' post='1196435']
[size=5][b]Racism aside, [/b][/size]there is a large amount of truth in what Joker is implying...which is that the vast majority of gun-related violence is generated in inner cities, trailer parks, anywhere there is a plethora of poverty, drugs, gangs, etc. Look it up. It is a FACT.
[/quote]

LOLOLOLOLOL

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356632916' post='1199740']
It isn't racist to use stats based on race to quantify something.
[/quote]

Not at all...and the second part of your post I should have left out or validated it....I just thought it was funny that you put "Racism aside...." and then went on to make a point. Sorry, I'm amused easily :)

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1356789122' post='1200312']
[url="https://twitter.com/HuffingtonPost"][b]Huffington Post[/b] ‏[s]@[/s][b]HuffingtonPost[/b][/url]
Despite uproar, newspaper to publish more names of gun owners [url="http://t.co/3ZYZW9aR"]http://huff.to/X2TJ7O[/url]
[/quote]

This shit isn't going to end well.

Archived