The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Pittsburgh Steelers Game 2

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1356661758' post='1199902']
Dick Lebeau obviously picked something from watching film. They always seemed ready for the run. As Andy gets more reps with our #2 receiver (insert name) he can audible out when teams stack the line like that.
[/quote]

I haven't really looked for it, but many have said that pittsburgh had figured out the snap cadence.

I have to add that I didn't expect Polamalu to play like he did. He'd been a shell of himself for awhile with his injuries and concussions (and frankly he looks like he's packed on some serious pounds, too) but that dude played lights out, which makes our win more impressive, IMO. I recall screaming at the TV when he timed that snap perfectly and sacked Dalton. I hate that dude as a Steeler but he sure can play as a baller.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356661993' post='1199903']
I haven't really looked for it, but many have said that pittsburgh had figured out the snap cadence.
[/quote]

It seemed to me that on almost every snap, we were running the play clock down to near zero. That makes it really easy for the defense to know when the snap is coming.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1356677278' post='1199961']
It seemed to me that on almost every snap, we were running the play clock down to near zero. That makes it really easy for the defense to know when the snap is coming.
[/quote]

didn't really pay attention to that, but it would play to the steelers MO. constant pre-snap movement causing you to make multiple checks on the line, wasting more playclock.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1356677278' post='1199961']
[/quote]

just looking at the first drive, 20, 10, 5, 3, 8, 12, 5, 5, 5, 12, 4

Anyone with college or upper level coaching experience that can explain the snap count to me like I'm 5? What is so difficult about adding an extra "hut" or three once you realize they are jumping your snap count and abusing the LOS?

If they jump the fucking snap on 3rd and 1 the first time, whose call is it whether or not to hard count the next 3rd and 1 two or three times before actually snapping it? Just seems stupid to let them keep jumping the count and never really hard count.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1356702221' post='1200000']
Anyone with college or upper level coaching experience that can explain the snap count to me like I'm 5? What is so difficult about adding an extra "hut" or three once you realize they are jumping your snap count and abusing the LOS?

If they jump the fucking snap on 3rd and 1 the first time, whose call is it whether or not to hard count the next 3rd and 1 two or three times before actually snapping it? Just seems stupid to let them keep jumping the count and never really hard count.
[/quote]

Well we did get them to jump offside on a third and 1 once.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1356702221' post='1200000']

[/quote]

I don't necessarily disagree with what you wrote, but I guess the concern is making sure you don't confuse your own guys by changing something in the middle of a game. I wonder how easy it is for a coach to tell if they know the snap count or if they are just getting a good jump.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356700422' post='1199985']
just looking at the first drive, 20, 10, 5, 3, 8, 12, 5, 5, 5, 12, 4
[/quote]

hmmm....

I know that later in the game there were several times when I was afraid they weren't going to get the snap off in time. Might be one of those things where I noticed it a few times and assumed it was happening more often than it really was.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1356721832' post='1200118']
hmmm....

I know that later in the game there were several times when I was afraid they weren't going to get the snap off in time. Might be one of those things where I noticed it a few times and assumed it was happening more often than it really was.
[/quote]

I'm sure you're right. I wouldn't say 6 of the first 11 snaps at 5 seconds or under is a good thing.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1356750188' post='1200289']
Not saying you're wrong but what are you basing that on?
[/quote]

The number of non-calls against us in the Pitt game and the roughing the passer on Justin Smith in 2006.

(My wife and I went to that game for our anniversary. The night before we went to dinner at Ruth's Chris. The officials for that game were at a table very close to us. And they were ordering some VERY expensive stuff. $90+ lobsters among other things.)

I'm also only half serious.

Maybe.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1356751189' post='1200290']
The number of non-calls against us in the Pitt game and the roughing the passer on Justin Smith in 2006.

(My wife and I went to that game for our anniversary. The night before we went to dinner at Ruth's Chris. The officials for that game were at a table very close to us. And they were ordering some VERY expensive stuff. $90+ lobsters among other things.)

I'm also only half serious.

Maybe.
[/quote]

Why buy a heavily-scrutinized head ref when you can get a line judge for a fraction of the price?

If they ever busted a ref for point-shaving or the like I'd have a lot more faith in them. The NFL acting like it never, ever happens makes me think it happens quite a bit. I'm cynical like that.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1356800455' post='1200339']
Why buy a heavily-scrutinized head ref when you can get a line judge for a fraction of the price?

If they ever busted a ref for point-shaving or the like I'd have a lot more faith in them. The NFL acting like it never, ever happens makes me think it happens quite a bit. I'm cynical like that.
[/quote]

Well when they announce the gambling line for every game so prominently you gotta laugh at the idea that they are not affecting each other. Ever hear a point spread for a basketball or baseball game talked about on ESPN?

Archived