The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Pittsburgh Steelers Game 2

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1356580058' post='1199609']

I agree with you on all of that, except the intentional grounding. I think even Phil Sims showed in the game , that he was out of the tackle box. That was a mike Carey crew call, just like the PI call that should have gone on troy, and the holding call on Leon. I think Carey is tomlin's cousin.
[/quote]

Grounding was legit.

Simms started to say it was wrong but ultimately said it was the right call once he drew in the tackle boxes.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356580186' post='1199613']
Grounding was legit.

Simms started to say it was wrong but ultimately said it was the right call once he drew in the tackle boxes.
[/quote]

Yeah, it was the right call.

Carey, however, is still the worst referee in the NFL...

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356580120' post='1199610']
Yea AJ had three drops and a fumble or Dalton is pushing 350yds and about 62% completions on the day.
[/quote]

I guess it depends what you consider a drop. The one where Troy hit him I wouldnt consider a drop, but it was a great throw by Dalton. He definitely dropped a 30 yarder or so.

In the first quarter we threw one deep on 1st and 10 from like the 50, it looked like AJ got tripped up but still couldnt have turned on his extra burner to make the play. I think he might have thought the ball was a little farther then it actually was. Looks at first glance like dalton overthrew it, but it was very close to being a huge 50 yard TD.

Hopefully in the playoffs we connect on a few of those deep balls. Could be the difference between a win and a loss. I like that they tried throwing it deep to him 5-6 times or so, it opens up those short passes where he can easily pick up 8-12 yards.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1356580058' post='1199609']
I agree with you on all of that, except the intentional grounding. I think even Phil Sims showed in the game , that he was out of the tackle box. That was a mike Carey crew call, just like the PI call that should have gone on troy, and the holding call on Leon. I think Carey is tomlin's cousin.
[/quote]

Carey was also the referee in the Tampa Bay Justin Smith cuddle sack game.

Good:
Playoffs!?!?
Geno
DLine in general
Leon...good for him. He works hard. I like when hard work is rewarded.
Adam Jones
Nelson for the most part
Zimmer - again am SO impressed with the little details in his defense. He's thorough.
Josh Brown
Huber
Pat MF'in Sims......let the big boy eat. He looks hungry. His teammates love him and see his value.
Whit - calming presence
Andre - Did Woodley even play yesterday?
AJ

Bad:
Offensive playcalling
Dalton - aside from his decent numbers, he simply misses too many open guys, locks onto his first read and typically goes there 9 out of 10 times. Freaks out in the pocket too soon. But he's going to be a HOF QB because this is only his 2nd year. I keep reminding myself of this.
Gruden - Somebody needs to throat punch him and remind him he's supposed to be an offensive genius.
OLine the last few weeks
BJGE - I have a new 4-letter abbreviation for him: SMDH. Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, .....well....you can't get fooled again!
Offensive Coordinator
Adam Jones' mental lapse on the TD; otherwise great game by him
AJ's propensity to make dumb mistakes at times. Rare, but for an elite player he's got to take care of his drops.

Ugly:
Marvin Lewis
Pittsburgh Fan
Carson Palmer

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356580186' post='1199613']
Grounding was legit.

[/quote]

Go back and watch the game. When he drew the Tackle box, Andy was a step outside of it when he let the ball go.

[quote name='Dr Tarzan' timestamp='1356300911' post='1198046']
Seeing Stealers laying on the field hurt.--not that I want them hurt perse--just years of watching the good guys laying on the field as their victims, I'm not a very compassionate doctor and I REALLY like the bullies getting their asses pounded for a change.[/quote]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvijyBIgazE[/media]

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1356640463' post='1199803']
Go back and watch the game. When he drew the Tackle box, Andy was a step outside of it when he let the ball go.
[/quote]

no, he wasn't. Simms line also wasn't accurate, he practically drew it on Zeitler.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Panther1/ground.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Panther1/ground2.png[/IMG]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356647334' post='1199822']
no, he wasn't. Simms line also wasn't accurate, he practically drew it on Zeitler.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Panther1/ground.png[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Panther1/ground2.png[/img]
[/quote]
The tackle box extends to the mid-way portion between the hash marks...he's launched it on the center side of that line....correct call.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356647334' post='1199822']

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Panther1/ground.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Panther1/ground2.png[/IMG]
[/quote]

You are 100% right. Sims did draw the line wrong. That was definitely intentional grounding.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356652933' post='1199845']
Look at Andre standing there with his shoulders kinda down like "Sorry Andy."
[/quote]

I don't think it was Andre's fault. Hood had a free release, no one even touched him. Zietler looked like he double teamed the NT and both hood and woodley(?) both came on Dre's side. He could only block one.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356652933' post='1199845']
Look at Andre standing there with his shoulders kinda down like "Sorry Andy."
[/quote]

not sure it was andre's fault. Was either zeitler's or Greshams. Probably zeitler. Smith took Woodley wide, but ziggy hood (the guy lined up right in front of smith in the first picture) came in untouched between smith and zeitler.

For some reason Zeitler helped to double Hampton, which left no one to guard hood. Either Zeitler was supposed to pick up hood or gresham was supposed to pick up woodley.

If Dalton hadn't been sent fleeing by an unblocked Hood, Smith's guy (woodley) would have been in no position to get to Dalton. Dalton would have been standing near Boling in that second pic.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1356654594' post='1199854']
This could have been said already, but we beat the Stealers
at their house to earn a Playoff berth while basically ending their season.
And making Stealer Nation have a shitty Christmas and offseason.

There is no bad.

It's all good.

Sweet nectar.
[/quote]

^^^^^
THIS!!!

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1356657679' post='1199872']
I know that's a good defense but our run game disappeared. Struggling I can understand but I didn't expect it to fail completely.
[/quote]

They overloaded the box and dared Andy to beat them.

And in the end, he did.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1356658961' post='1199882']
They overloaded the box and dared Andy to beat them.

[b]And in the end, he did[/b].
[/quote]

But barely. The Steelers are not the juggernaut they used to be on defense. Fuck their statistical rank at #1. We did miss on several pass plays that would have tipped the game [i]way[/i] into our favor, but averaging less than a yard a carry is embarrassing. Me myself I kept thinking that it was a perfect game to insert Leonard in for a few series after we saw the oline and BGE weren't getting anywhere as Leonard has traditionally done very well against the Steelers., Or at least doing SOMETHING to mitigate the middle run blitz...in fact, IIRC we were able to run the ball in big chunks against a few of our opponents that were doing the exact same thing not long ago. It's a matter of getting the RB to the next level through that logjam in the middle. Or, barring that, going outside of it, which I don't thin k we really even tried to do (other than the one busted Marvin Jones reverse...which we should have run a LOT earlier in the game once we saw what they were trying to do).

Eh, anyway....game over, we won...learn from it, improve on offense and hopefully move on in the postseason.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1356657679' post='1199872']
I know that's a good defense but our run game disappeared. Struggling I can understand but I didn't expect it to fail completely.
[/quote]

Dick Lebeau obviously picked something from watching film. They always seemed ready for the run. As Andy gets more reps with our #2 receiver (insert name) he can audible out when teams stack the line like that.

Archived