Updated thread title: Gruden staying with Bengals

[size=6][b] Jay Gruden says he’ll interview for other jobs, but plans to stay in Cincinnati[/b][/size]

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2013, 3:19 PM EST

Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden has yet to declare he won’t be the Eagles or the Cardinals coach. But he has come close to doing that.

In an interview with his current team’s website, Jay Gruden says he’ll interview with Philly and Arizona for their vacant head-coaching jobs. But Jay Gruden has no plans of leaving.
“I got called to interview for these jobs,” Jay Gruden told Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Gruden-confirms-interest-but-likes-his-foundation-with-Dalton-Bengals/ef0feeaa-f906-430d-bdfb-877343ee2d7f"]I figure I better say yes or they’ll quit asking me[/url].”

Under that logic, he’d better accept any offer he gets, or they’ll quit asking that, too.

Still, the younger brother of former Raiders and Bucs coach Jon Gruden claims he wants to stay in Cincinnati.

“I think it will be a great experience and it’s exciting,” Jay Gruden said. “I have every intention of coming back here. We’ve got a great group of guys here. We’re excited for the future here.”
He also could become excited for a future elsewhere.

“When you enter the coaching profession you necessarily don’t do it to be an assistant your whole life. Eventually you’d like to be top dog and run your own ship,” Jay Gruden said. “When the time’s right. Every team has their issues and their problems. That’s why they’re looking. Eventually when the time is right, hopefully I’ll get a chance. If not this year, or next year, or the year after. I’ll be happy here because it’s a great place.”

But Jay Gruden realizes “here” may not permanently be happy with him.

“I also know in this business your welcome mat doesn’t last forever and I’m sure mine has probably been kicked off the doorstep,” Jay Gruden said, three days after a playoff performance that triggered significant criticism of his play-calling. “People probably want me out of here right now. That’s just the way it is in this business.”

That’s why he needs to answer the door when opportunity knocks. After all, you never quite know when the knocking will stop.

If Jay Gruden has any doubts about that, he needs to only listen for all the knocking that isn’t happening on his big brother’s door.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/jay-gruden-says-hell-interview-for-other-jobs-but-plans-to-stay-in-cincinnati/"]http://profootballta...-in-cincinnati/[/url]

Just thought, if Gruden leaves, we make James Urban the new OC. His west coast experience under Reid would be perfect. Then make Hugh Jackson the new receivers coach. He has been the best WR coach we've had in recent memory. Perfect return to his old job role and his hands on approach should take the receiving core to new heights. Perfect solution all round imo.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1357684516' post='1206520']
Just thought, if Gruden leaves, we make James Urban the new OC. His west coast experience under Reid would be perfect. Then make Hugh Jackson the new receivers coach. He has been the best WR coach we've had in recent memory. Perfect return to his old job role and his hands on approach should take the receiving core to new heights. Perfect solution all round imo.
[/quote]

interesting take. I think the one hitch would be Hue being passed over for OC (despite scheme difference) and urban over zampese promotion wise.

I like it personally (though I don't think Gruden leaves), I'm just curious about the in-house politics.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357684655' post='1206522']
interesting take. I think the one hitch would be Hue being passed over for OC (despite scheme difference) and urban over zampese promotion wise.

I like it personally (though I don't think Gruden leaves), I'm just curious about the in-house politics.
[/quote]

It makes the most logical sense. Or Wisenhunt.

[/quote]

This is exactly what Ive been saying for a week or so now. It make the most logical sense.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1357674681' post='1206462']
Maybe because they aren't looking at it through a Jaded fans eyes? I don't mean that to be rude, but maybe they are looking at how he worked with Andy, and feel like he could help Kolb or Hoyer become a better QB.
[/quote]

Then maybe he would be better at being a QB coach.. Not trying to be rude either, but you don't hire a HC to make your QB play better. I was enthusiastic about Jay when he came in.. And I gave him a pass last year because of the strike and the young foundation. But I expected to see more this season, and it just wasn't there. I think you know me and know I tend to give guys the benefit of the doubt because I'm not on the inside so it's hard to know what is really going on.. But there are some things about his performance so far that has me doubting that he is the right guy for the job. Everything from the playbook to play calling this year was disappointing.

I don't think he is going anywhere so I hope he will be better next year...

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1357743205' post='1206645']

Then maybe he would be better at being a QB coach.. Not trying to be rude either, but you don't hire a HC to make your QB play better. I was enthusiastic about Jay when he came in.. And I gave him a pass last year because of the strike and the young foundation. But I expected to see more this season, and it just wasn't there. I think you know me and know I tend to give guys the benefit of the doubt because I'm not on the inside so it's hard to know what is really going on.. But there are some things about his performance so far that has me doubting that he is the right guy for the job. Everything from the playbook to play calling this year was disappointing.

[/quote]

Agreed all around. What's disappointing is that there were stretches where I thought he called really good games but then stretches where I thought wtf is he doing.

Think there is still potential there but he needs to vastly improve in 2013. Work the middle of the field more, run the ball more when it is working, use your best playmakers in big games, and be a little more creative.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1357745360' post='1206656']
I think teams do hire head coaches to help their QB play better. I am not saying its the wisest move, I just think they do it.
[/quote]

I think that is a consideration... Maybe one weighted too heavy by some, but that's not why you hire a head coach. Rarely do you see a coach go from a QB coach position to HC in the NFL. It's almost always a coordinator or HC at a different level. The reason being is that HC requires a diverse skill set.. Primarily, the ability to set a direction and realize it...

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1357743205' post='1206645']

[/quote]

I understand what you are saying, but a lot of teams hire the Head Coach to support the side of the ball that seems to be underperforming. Chicago right now is looking for a guy that has Offensive Capabilities, because they feel that their O is not performing at the level they would like. Jay's not the QB coach here, but He and Dalton are tied together.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1357747852' post='1206682']
I understand what you are saying, but a lot of teams hire the Head Coach to support the side of the ball that seems to be underperforming. Chicago right now is looking for a guy that has Offensive Capabilities, because they feel that their O is not performing at the level they would like. Jay's not the QB coach here, but He and Dalton are tied together.
[/quote]

Right, I agree. But what about Gruden's performance here would lead a team to think he will accomplish this?

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1357748704' post='1206691']
Right, I agree. But what about Gruden's performance here would lead a team to think he will accomplish this?
[/quote]

Just a hypothetical, I have no idea that this is true, but let's say that on Arizona's board they had Dalton rated way down as far a QB's in the last couple of drafts, and had Lindley rated a lot higher. Bidwell looks at how Gruden has been able to take a QB they had rated low, and make him a solid QB in the league, he could very well think that the same guy could take Lindley and make him an exceptional QB. Not saying any of that is true, but we all have watched the Ego's of owners in this league.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1357750134' post='1206706']
Just a hypothetical, I have no idea that this is true, but let's say that on Arizona's board they had Dalton rated way down as far a QB's in the last couple of drafts, and had Lindley rated a lot higher. Bidwell looks at how Gruden has been able to take a QB they had rated low, and make him a solid QB in the league, he could very well think that the same guy could take Lindley and make him an exceptional QB. Not saying any of that is true, but we all have watched the Ego's of owners in this league.
[/quote]

I think that would be good reasoning for hiring him on as an offensive coordinator. he is getting that shot now, and aside from Dalton, things haven't been so great. Don;t get me wrong, I am really pulling for the guy and expect him to do better, but I think there are others who are more deserving at this point.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1357750685' post='1206717']
I think that would be good reasoning for hiring him on as an offensive coordinator. he is getting that shot now, and aside from Dalton, things haven't been so great. Don;t get me wrong, I am really pulling for the guy and expect him to do better, but I think there are others who are more deserving at this point.
[/quote]

True, but you can't hire him as an O-coord, and you can as a head coach. Plus, we all know that having tons of money doesn't mean you are totally rational. :D

[b]GRUDEN SPEAKS: [/b] Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden met the Arizona press Thursday after her interviewed for the Cardinals head coaching job and reiterated why he's listening to job offers this year and didn't last year.

"Last year the Brown family gave me an opportunity to be an offensive coordinator and I didn't want to jump ship at the first call," said Gruden, who signed a three-year extension after those calls. "I wanted to go there and see Andy Dalton improve another year and see A.J. Green improve another year and see what we can do. We did some good things and made it to the playoffs again.

"I got some calls fortunately again this year and decided to take them or else people might stop calling if I say no again," Gruden said. "It's a great situation up in Cincinnati. I still feel like we underachieved a little bit on offense. We have to do a lot better up there. But to be thought of as a head coach candidate is a great honor and I appreciate the Bidwills for taking a chance."

Gruden, 45, made it clear he thinks he can do the job for a team that played four different quarterbacks in 2012 and noted his head coaching and general manager experience while working in arena ball. He was also a head coach in the UFL.

"I've been a head coach for a while. I know it's a different league and it's not the NFL, but I've handled people, handled organizations, handled salary caps, done all the things necessary to be a head coach," Gruden said. "I understand the game, and I think it would be a good fit."

Gruden indicated he'll head to Philadelphia next week for an interview with the Eagles.

According to reports, Ken Whisenhunt, the man that got fired in Arizona, is headed back to Cleveland this week for a second interview. Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer interviewed with the Browns earlier this week.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Gresham-gets-official-Pro-Bowl-nod/5b26ee1c-9154-47a9-a752-5604f92d5fab?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

[/quote]

my immediate reaction would be this. you upgrade coaches that have shown they deserve such an upgrade. you don't take that from other organization's recommendations, where other influences could have possibly factored in that you can't account for. instead, you base it off of what's been the results of his work for you. has james urban deserved that upgrade from his work for the cincinnati bengals? if that question was in front of me, my answer would be a resounding....NO.

[url="https://twitter.com/JMV1070"][b]JMV1070[/b]‏[s]@[/s][b]JMV1070[/b][/url]
ESPN's John Clayton believes the [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23chargers&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]chargers[/b][/url] job will come down to either [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23colts&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]colts[/b][/url] oc Bruce Arians or Jay Gruden.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1357910097' post='1207296']
[url="https://twitter.com/JMV1070"][b]JMV1070[/b]‏[s]@[/s][b]JMV1070[/b][/url]
ESPN's John Clayton believes the [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23chargers&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]chargers[/b][/url] job will come down to either [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23colts&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]colts[/b][/url] oc Bruce Arians or Jay Gruden.
[/quote]

I just don't see it happening, given Gruden's past comments about his family. He's still got a kid in school, and I just can't see him moving his family across the country. I know Orlando to Ohio is a big move in itself, but he no longer had a job in Orlando (he does here), and they had family in Ohio.

I truly continue to think these interviews are more about networking and experience than actually looking for a HC job at this point.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1357911442' post='1207302']
I didn't know Jay even has spoken to San Diego? I thought Zimmer had though?
[/quote]

yea this is the first I've heard of jay gruden being linked to san diego. I've heard they have interest in Zimmer, and even jon gruden, but not jay.

Archived